UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED

This week, Steve Tambellini will be very busy in all kinds of areas as the most important week in his Edmonton GM career hits the blacktop.

Let’s review the ‘to do’ list for this summer.

1. A top pairing defenseman capable of delivering big minutes at evens and at least one of PK and PP. 20+ overall.
  2. A better Renney.
  3. Justin Schultz or similar.
  4. A reasonable goaltending option for the Khabibulin free fall.
  5. An established 2-way winger to mentor the young players who will compete for bottom 6 roles (Lander, Hartikainen, Pitlick, etc)
  6. Ryan Smyth or similar.
  7. Get the rfa’s signed.

Let’s look at possible options.

1. Rumors have Keith Yandle in the mix at the high end and Marc Methot at the low end.
  2. Ralph Krueger looks like he’ll get the job as early as tomorrow. I’m not certain he’s a clear upgrade but there are things to like about him. I’d rather have MacTavish as coach, gotta say.
  3. The Schultz story will roll out this week and the experts seem to the Edmonton has a chance. It would explain the weekend inertia but I’m thinking we should take a cautionary stance on this and not expect to be the winning club. The Oilers did not deliver “the future” via the draft.
  4. The Dubnyk-Khabibulin pairing in goal looks set in stone. We’ll know how impressive Steve Tambellini’s survival instincts are when the AHL starter is signed. He better be good.
  5. Nothing so far, although the team did sign Lennart Petrell just to make sure the entire 4line disaster had the chance to return next season. There are some second tier free agents who might fit this description.
  6. I have always felt Ryan Smyth would return and have to say it is insane to let him walk. If Holland were GM this would have been put to bed miles ago.
  7. This is a no-brainer for Gagner, Petry and Dubnyk but the contract numbers will be important. As always, expect Oiler fans to be outraged with Petry’s number and begin the process that will see the young defender become wildy unpopular despite quality play.

CURRENT FORWARDS

1. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  2. L Taylor Hall
  3. R Jordan Eberle
  4. C Sam Gagner (RFA)
  5. L Ales Hemsky
  6. R Nail Yakupov (unsigned)
  7. C Shawn Horcoff
  8. L Ben Eager
  9. R Ryan Jones
  10. C Eric Belanger
  11. L Lennart Petrell
  12. R Teemu Hartikainen
  13. R Magnus Paajarvi
  14. C Anton Lander
  15. C Chris VandeVelde (RFA)

Oilers might have to give up someone good to make room for everyone, especially if Smyth signs. Jones? I expect it will be Eager.

CURRENT BLUE

1. Ladislav Smid
  2. Jeff Petry (RFA)
  3. Nick Schultz
  4. Ryan Whitney
  5. Corey Potter
  6. Andy Sutton
  7. Theo Peckham (RFA)
  8. Colten Teubert
  9. Taylor Fedun
  10. Alex Plante (RFA)
  11. Martin Marincin
  12. Brandon Davidson

Oilers badly need two NHL defensemen here. It’s so obvious it hurts. If Steve Tambellini, Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish plan on making this team competitive anytime soon this week will be a lot about defense and mostly about NHL defensemen.

I’ll be watching with interest to see what kind of impact MacT’s presence has on the summer. As the summer wears on one would think more Dvoraks and fewer Barkers will be the result.

113 Responses to "UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED"

1. nathan says:

Just wait ’til you see Steve “Corvair” Tambellini hug the corners.

2. Rondo says:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

Nikolai Kulemin

Nathan: lol. did you ever ride in one. We had a friend Donny Simchuck and he had one, it felt like you were in a boat (that was about to tip over).

Rondo: Really like Kulemin. I had a long list of Leafs I liked because of the trade talk, and he along with Gunnarsson, Franson, Frattin and Kadri were all at least interesting.

4. sliderule says:

If as reported Coyotes passed on Gagner and MPS for Yandle we should forget him.

Would Plante and MPS be enough to get Methot

If Krueger is the guy why the long wait?Crawford?

Schultz would be great but defensively he will be a raw rookie.If we luck out and get him he will not be the immediate answer.

Please Mac T give their heads a shake and make them ditch Habi

The draft of Yak puts Smitty between a rock and a hard place if he wants to be an oiler.

5. PDO says:

And the big worry is he trades Hemsky.

It’s not a worry because he can’t get value; but it’s a worry because it sends the wrong message around the league. He takes a home-town discount any way you slice it… and before the contract even kicks in, he’s in another city? Would be an awful move, regardless of the return.

Take a look at what Pittsburgh did this weekend, and the good will that they will have created around the league.

Shero offers Staal a huge contract that he knew would be rejected because Staal is a goner… but by offering it, he gets the fans on his side. Then, he plays Staal to the only two teams that feel like they could extend him in NYR and Carolina to get a great return.

He dumps Michalek to a preferred destination later that night; and given the return, one could speculate that the trade was quietly requested… but there’s no leaking, no FU’s, no bad feelings.. just goes about his job quickly and efficiently and moves on to the next step, which appears to be Ryan Suter or Zach Parise.

And to top it all off, he now has a defensive cupboard that is loaded with blue chippers.

Oh, and the best 1-2 punch down the middle in the league.

Guys will be lining up to play in Pittsburgh; not only are you treated well on your way in or out, they will pay if you perform, and you get to play on a perennial contender. Never hear about negative stories coming from the management side either. I suspect they get one of the two big FA’s.

Can you imagine if Jordan Staal was an Oiler and had basically said I won’t extend? No way we get that kind of return, nor do we turn it into a positive for everyone involved.

6. jonrmcleod says:

I think the Oilers might want to give their rookies a lesson on social media. Judging from their current Twitter activity, Yakupov and Zharkov could get themselves into some trouble.

7. PDO says:

Unless it’s something like WreckEm for Gunnarson… but that seems unlikely.

8. PDO says:

jonrmcleod:

I’d prefer Yakupov keep his personality, though I haven’t seen what Zharkov’s been posting.

The fact Yakupov is using his twitter handle to chase tail in Edmonton (already!) is hilarious.

You’re right though… they’ll sadly be stifled.

jonrmcleod:

Oh no, is one of them trying to get their boat license?

The hubub is that 94 was one of the vets bitching about their change in roles in the 2nd half of the season.

When Gregor interviewed Smyth a little while ago, he pretty much confirmed it.

By ability he is 2LW on this team, but 91 or someone part of the future needs to be there.

I have no problem with 94 at 3LW, but apparently he does.

They have two offers in front of him. 1 – 1 year, 1 – 2 year.

If v4.0 offered any other 36 year old a 2 year contract we’d scream bloody murder.

I think most of the impasse lies with Smyth.

11. Bruce McCurdy says:

8. Sign Yakupov to ELC.

12. Noodles says:

sliderule:

Would Plante and MPS be enough to get Methot

Personally, I wouldn’t be willing to give up MPS on his own for Methot, even without throwing in Plante. Behind the Net does not paint a very favorable picture of Methot: he wasn’t playing the toughs, wasn’t getting buried in terms of zone starts, but still had the worst CorsiRel on the team by a fair margin. He probably isn’t the tough minutes D the Oilers need.

PDO: I like Gunnarsson and Franson, but we don’t need any more 5/6 D, regardless of their potential.

Unless it’s something like WreckEm for Gunnarson… but that seems unlikely.

Gunnarson played 2nd toughest comp, 2nd toughest zone start. I don’t think he’s a 5-6 anymore.

PDO,

Terry Jones would have had a two pager about what prick Staal is.

Then we’d hear about “problems in the room” and “selfish”

You know, just like we are hearing about Smyth. :)

15. Romulus Apotheosis says:

should I be worried ST is going to try and bring one of the D prospects up and pretend they are a real NHL option…. because I am.

are #5 and 6 redundant? or are you banking on us needing two more veteran wingers (including smith)

wingers then would be:

Hall — Hemsky
    Harti/Paaj?? — Eberle
    Smyth?? — Yak
    Eager/Petrell/Jones — ???

man we have a lot of LWs!!! can’t believe I just realized that

Lowetide: Oh no, is one of them trying to get their boat license?

Hey, open book exams are tough.

17. nathan says:

Nope. Hope Mac-T is bringing the missing sway bar:

“The subject for which the book [UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED] is probably most widely known, the rear-engined Chevrolet Corvair, is covered in Chapter 1—”The Sporty Corvair-The One-Car Accident”. … George Caramagna, the Chevrolet suspension mechanic (who, Nader learned, had fought management over omission of the vital anti-sway bar that they were forced to install in later models) was vital to this issue. The missing bar had caused many crashes and it was Caramagna who precipitated the whole controversy by staying his ground on the issue.”

18. nathan says:

Is that a real Yakupov account or did you just find the fake one.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jonrmcleod:

I fell for sarcasm earlier… but… it’s a fake account (for Nail) you know that right? his actual account seems to be all “thanks” and so forth

20. regwald says:

I like your list of 7 things to do LT and the 8th one from Bruce … however, i don’t think Tambo’s list is the same as yours … in fact it might be 2 or 3 items in length only. :o((

21. hags9k says:

This made me laugh, but I probably should have cried. So true.

22. PDO says:

Woodguy: Hey, open book exams are tough.

Way OT, but with google at our finger tips…

… every exam written should be 100% open book; forever and always.

At the University level anyway. There are still time constraints, so if you know nothing, you’re screwed anyway… but memorizing quotes and dates is a collective waste of time when the information is available in a 5 second google search.

Memorizing facts is becoming less and less relevant to every day life; and contrary to what some people will say… it’s not making us dumber. It just means we can focus our attention on different areas; such as critical thinking.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Zharkov:

Fake Yak:

Real Yak:

Yak seems to be making a lot of lady friends… can you blame him?

best tweet though:

That would be hilarious if he wore #100

24. jonrmcleod says:

Woodguy,

Romulus Apotheosis,

I have his official account. It’s probably harmless, but he’s getting a lot of attention. Hopefully he’s received some good advice on how to handle the sudden fame.

I passed a lot of tests cramming my brain full of information, retaining it until it hit paper and then forgetting it for eternity. Except for times tables, man those suckers are in there good. 12×12! 144! WHAMMO!

26. jonrmcleod says:

Woodguy,

The irony is that I hadn’t heard that about Smyth until you mentioned it now.

Meh. As long as he isn’t talking about coke off a dead hooker’s back I think he’ll be fine.

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

29. PDO says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I have a feeling if he gets into some Very Bad Things territory social media will be the least of his worries.

Would Paulina Gretzky have any worries if social media didn’t exist?

A couple of draft notes that are left over:

1. Oilers drafted 4 players from the combine list at 1, 32, 63 and 91. After that they went 20-year olds who obviously weren’t at the combine. Availabe at #93 when they took the Swede AND on the combine list? Brady Vail, Josh Anderson, Kevin Roy, Erik Karlsson, Gemel Smith, Brett Kulak. All were gone by #105. I guess the Oilers didn’t like them, Vail especially was pretty good value.
    2. Cody Corbett and that Saskatoon goalie Makarov weren’t taken.
    3. I think that must mean that the Oilers have immediate plans for the Swedish D. Otherwise why not take Vail and sign the SEL defender after the draft?

31. Romulus Apotheosis says:

PDO: Would Paulina Gretzky have any worries if social media didn’t exist?

I’d wager it’s Wayne that has all the worries in that regard.

Paulina appears to enjoy the fruits of her exhibitionism. And, given the state of our culture, whereby a “Snookie,” or a “Paris Hilton,” can achieve the acclaim and even esteem of the hoi polloi… I’d say she has a bright, if ephemeral, future.

I can see her future: hosting a sports chatshow in a hot-tub for espn in the 11pm spot called “Bubbles and Thongs.” She can throw to Alyonka for “field reports.”

32. oilswell says:

I know that Gagner is typically traded in the news for a defenceman, but how likely do you think it would be to trade him for someone bigger but with less skill or as a salary drop? A terrible example is Dubinsky but that’s the kind of thing I’m wondering about: he’s probably more expensive, hits a lot, and seems to play well against good competition. Or if Gagner is leaving is it only for a D?

33. regwald says:

I think Dustin Neilson tweeted this yesterday, but NYI selected a defenceman with every single pick.

I am sure they were following the BPA methodology ? Or not.

Oilswell: I don’t want to trade him at all. We’ve been through the growing pains and lets see if he can improve by 10 points or do current volume against tougher comp. There has to be another way. That said, if they do trade him then the return should address need. No Gagner means a hole at center, so sure I think he could be dealt for a bigger, less expensive center.

35. Germoil says:

Romulus Apotheosis: I’d wager it’s Wayne that has all the worries in that regard.

I’d watch it.

36. DSF says:

I learned to drive in a Corvair in my Uncle’s farm fields near Wainwright. Will never forget the cheesy shifter lever on the dash.

37. eidy says:

I am hoping it was gagner or MPS for yandle, not both. I am really hoping Schultz comes, but in my mind every year there seems to be great hype about brunnstrum, or the monster, or someone else and it fails to pan out for whomever gets him. If we don’t get Schultz I might circle back to pheonix re Rundblad or gormley.

For all the chatter and concern in the eastern media about needing to pick a defenseman, kudos to the oilers team management for recognizing that is where the depth is right now, and trying to replenish the talent up front. Don’t agree exactly with how they executed it, but liked a lot of it.

Also, I was pleased to see that they fished in some different pools this year. Took Russians surprisingly and not 1 but 2. Also looked at us college and bcjhl. Have to assume that they are looking everywhere for talent

38. DSF says:

Rondo:
    I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

Nikolai Kulemin

There’s a very good chance that Kulemin would be part of a deal for Luongo should the Leafs trade for him.

In other news, apparently Chicago is trying to make the dollars work to go after Lu.

39. jake70 says:

Germoil: I’d watch it.

40. jake70 says:

Scratch that, maybe Janet Jones wasn’t in that video after all, after further research into the matter. On the other hand Pauline might fit the video well…

41. Germoil says:

jake70: Van Halen with David lee Roth is touring at the moment….maybe they do a video remake for hot for teacher, put Janet jr. in instead.

They’re not touring anymore. Dates have been postponed.

42. The Real PutzStew says:

Too Funny Lowtide. You actually expect something to happen…

Other then signing Gagner, Petry, VV and Peckham…and maybe naming a coach, but I wouldn’t bet on that one…not much is going to happen this week.

Free agents…Doubtful. Trades…ya right. Do other GM’s even know which one of the three amigo’s to call if they did want to make a trade? Plus who in the world is going to want any of the players Edmonton would be offering. Ryan Smyth…Funny thing is even if they do sign him, there’s nothing in place to actually have a season next year. Personally Edmonton has to free up some spots and like I said before, No one wants who Edmonton is shopping and those spots have to come from somewhere, so see ya later Smyth. especially if he was causing problems in the dressing room.

Here’s what I can almost guaranty for next year. The D is going to be Smid, Petry, N.Shultz and Whitney, with Sutton and Potter bring up the bottom 3. Horcoff will be the 3rd line center, unless they trade Gagner and don’t replace him…which is very likely but doesn’t really matter because he’s still going to suck. Habby will be the back up. Jones will do what ever is asked at him and people still won’t appreciate him. RNH, Hall, Eberle and Yak (If he makes the team) and will make us appreciate good hockey but the Oilers are going to be a lottery team again due to the poor management of this club.

Personally the top 4 of Smid, Petry N.Shultz and Whitney (please be health) is going to frighten any body but is a lot better then anything that has been called a top 4 since 2006. I’m more concerned with the vets screwing this up then the top 4 at this point.

43. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jake70,
    Germoil,

I’ll just leave this hear for your consideration:

44. Rondo says:

Maybe take a shot at trading for Peter Holland , I know very unlikely.

45. Captain Obvious says:

On Yandle: everything rests on how you compare minutes and by what measures you rank quality of competition and teammates. It’s true that he faced below average competition but he also faced that competition with significantly below average teammates (by QoT +/-). That means he was killing the competition with teammates that did very poorly when they weren’t playing with Yandle.

The question is how do you quantify these differences. I’ve tried my hand at doing so, and by my reckoning Yandle was the best player on Phoenix last year. Doing so, depends on the assumption that quality of competition and teammates is linear. However, assuming that it is if Yandle played against more difficult competition his numbers, of course, would decrease but they’d still be better than Garrison (who also has good numbers).

I think you have to try and quantify these things somehow. It does no good to say, for instance, that Weaver was playing with poor zone starts against tough competition, with weak teammates. All of this is true. However, he also got killed in those circumstances. I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole.

The real trick, however, is less who you get then what you give up. In a world in which Michalek is available for nothing the Oilers lose any deal that involves Gagner and Paajarvi. If we’re trading RFA and younger players we need to get someone like Nikita Nikitin or Sekeras. If we’re getting a heavy contract, we should be getting the player for almost free. That’s why I’d be willing to take on Tyutin’s contract. It’s big enough that he probably wouldn’t cost any real players and he provides good performance against quality competition under poor circumstances. Plus he speaks Russian, which will help with Yakupov.

The mentor aspect for the Russian is another need. Recall Malkin specifically mentioning Gonchar as part of his success.

46. TheOtherJohn says:

If we play this year with the same D we iced last year we will end up 20-22th this year. Even with the young guns having another year of experience. Put another way: we have 3 # 3-4 D and a whole bunch of 5/6/7′s. Could we seriously try to upgrade that roster makeup. It will probably cost us some real assets/prospects but doing nothing will not work.

47. copperblueandwhite says:

regwald,

I am sure they were following the BPA methodology ? Or not.

Plus Vishnovsky…wonder if Hamonic might be availabe. Has any team ever gone all in on one position before?

48. DSF says:

Rondo:
    Maybe take a shot attrading for Peter Holland , I know very unlikely.

Paul Statsny would be a more realistic target.

49. Captain Obvious says:

The Oilers need D but they can’t give up anything to get it. That means either free agency or a salary dump.

If Stastny is available as a salary dump then we can afford to give up Gagner/Paajarvi for a top D.

It’s pie-in-the-sky dreaming but adding Stastny and Yandle would make this a team capable of making a playoff run.

Hall–Stastny–Hemsky –> can play against anyone and win
    Yakupov–Hopkins–Eberle–> would crush soft opposition
    Haartikainen–Horcoff–cheap FA signing –> mediocre third line
    Eager–Belanger–Jones –> mediocre fourth line

Yandle–N Schultz
    Petry–Smid
    Whitney–Sutton
    J. Shultz (a man can dream)

This team would win. Running the numbers on capgeek, it would also be the best team the Oilers ever ice out of the rebuild.

It’s sad really. This year is the best chance to have a really good team and they don’t seem to know it.

50. regwald says:

If anyone believes TreenasOil anymore …

She tweeted the following:

“The Oilers were set on taking Murray but were vetoed by Mr. Katz 2 hours before the draft. Katz didn’t want to deal with damage control. A P G”

51. gd says:

Captain Obvious,

To me Tyutin is a no brainer. His contract is horrible for Cbus, I’m almost thinking they had him to be Yak’s mentor . I got to think he is barely worth a 3rd rd pick and he would definitely be in our top 4 next year and should be a valuable mentor to Yak. I think if he declines too much below his contract in three years, the Oil will be able to bury him in OKC ala Redden.

I like him way more than Methot.

52. eidy says:

I guess you can say that size has been overed when we pick in 2013 and hopefully they pick BPA. and hopefully the first 2 BPA are centers

Prospects

Gernat 6’5 187
    Musil 6’3 196
    Teubert 6’4 195
    Davidson 6’1 202
    Bigos 6’5 230
    Simpson 6’1 192

If there goal was to address size, you have to say mission accomplished. Some of these tall trees can play too. Next year we will be focussing on Centre and maybe right wing. However with Eberle and Yakupov + hemsky and maybe MPS, not as pressing of a concern.

Looking at this list I would be hesitant to trade gagner though. we don’t have a replacement.

53. bookje says:

regwald:
    If anyone believes TreenasOil anymore …

She tweeted the following:

Oh, thank god, because for a while there, I was beginning to believe s/he was full of sh*t. That explains everything.

54. Captain Obvious says:

gd,

Totally agree. The gap between Tyutin and Methot is very wide. Methot is a bottom pairing guy on a bad team. Of the realistic options, Tyutin is the best one. In fact, of the guys in his price range he is the only one that is both good and likely to be available.

55. Doug McLachlan says:

What about Chicago d-man Hjalmerson (sp?!)?

56. DSF says:

regwald:
    If anyone believes TreenasOil anymore …

She tweeted the following:

I believe it.

All signs point that way.

57. DSF says:

eidy:
    I guess you can say that size has been overed when we pick in 2013 and hopefully they pick BPA.and hopefully the first 2 BPA are centers

Prospects

Gernat 6’5 187
    Musil 6’3 196
    Teubert 6’4 195
    Davidson 6’1 202
    Bigos 6’5 230
    Simpson 6’1 192

If there goal was to address size, you have to say mission accomplished.Some of these tall trees can play too.Next year we will be focussing on Centre and maybe right wing.However with Eberle and Yakupov + hemsky and maybe MPS, not as pressing of a concern.

Looking at this list I would be hesitant to trade gagner though.we don’t have a replacement.

Kyle Wellwood is UFA.

58. Captain Obvious says:

Hjalmerson is cheaper, signed to a shorter contract, and in my opinion, a full step in quality below Tyutin as a player. Because he’s cheaper and without the long term commitment I think the price in players would be higher. So you’d have to give up something valuable and you’d be getting the worse player. I’d rather take the chance on the long term contract and get the better player.

That said, I’d rather have Hjalmerson than nothing but Tyutin’s the guy. The Oilers can afford to take on one bad contract from another team if the player is good and the price is low. It is this area that they need to strike.

59. SoxandOil says:

I thought/ imagined hearing Mark Streit was available. I want one?

60. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Tyutin’s also on the left….

is there a consensus that this is irrelevant? or only marginally relevant?

Someone said N. Schultz can play on the right…? is that the case and if so is there a noticeable slide in quality of play?

I genuinely don’t know if or how much of an issue this is… but at first blush I’d guess… quality D is top priority and secondary is figuring out which side they play… but optimum has got to be top D at the right side, no?

61. nathan says:

“Too Funny Lowtide. You actually expect something to happen…”

LT is not expecting anything good whether much happens or little… with this driver. See the Nader title above.

62. fuzzy muppet says:

DSF,

There’s a reason why he’s a super sucessfull billionaire and the only thing the guys in charge of the hockey team are good at is building a last place team.

He understands value,they don’t

63. DSF says:

Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

Oilers still talking with Hawks

Hjalmarsson?

64. DSF says:

fuzzy muppet:
    DSF,

He understands value,they don’t

Yep, though those who deify McGregor likely have an issue with this.

65. spoiler says:

regwald:
    If anyone believes TreenasOil anymore …

She tweeted the following:

It makes sense. In Brownlee’s FTHM series, Stu projected Yak to be a 30 goal scorer, which is a serious step down from the 40 goal markers we have been hearing from elsewhere. I suspect he feels a part of Yak’s game won’t translate–he scores a lot of goals in tight, which will be tough to do in the NHL.

Wouldn’t surprise me they preferred the #2 style defenseman, if they thought the levels of ability were close. Throw in management’s love for character (which may well be a mandate from Katz too), and blammo, they’re taking Murray.

Concern about fallout is not a very good reason to not pick the guy who’s going to help your team the most. However it’s not like Yak isn’t a pretty safe pick.

Whether Katz (Yakupov) or MacGregor (Murray or Reinhart) will be “right”, will not be known for 5 years or so. Mostly likely it ends up being 1A vs. 1B vs. 1C.

DSF: Yep, though those who deify McGregor likely have an issue with this.

Katz is the owner. If he owns this pick, then good on him.

68. jfry says:

lt, i love that you think that mact will present a voice of reason yet the last two days all you’ve done is about “the return to the coke machine”.

we weren’t talking about CMs in his absence.

also, does anyone have the inside dirt on why ebert fell so far?

jfry:

we weren’t talking about CMs in his absence.

also, does anyone have the inside dirt on why ebert fell so far?

Great article on it here

70. DSF says:

Lowetide: Disagree. We don’t know what the scouting staff decided, but the end result is the key. If the scouts trusted their board, made their case and Katz overruled? I’d consider that to be a pretty solid piece of business.

Katz is the owner. If he owns this pick, then good on him.

Problem is, we will likely never know for sure.

Until someone writes a book.

If, as Treena asserts, this was a move made to avoid a public backlash as opposed to a hockey decision, then there is a problem.

While I agree with the decision, owner meddling in hockey decisions hardly ever turns out well.

As it stands today, the Oilers are likely 20-25 goals for better next season and likely 20-25 goals against worse.

As you’ve identified, Tambellini has about a week to sort this out.

Should be interesting times.

DSF: Problem is, we will likely never know for sure.

Until someone writes a book.

As you’ve identified, Tambellini has about a week to sort this out.

Should be interesting times.

72. DSF says:

Lowetide: Again, I disagree. The owners job is to make sure that next year the definition of what the scouts are looking for has been tweaked. BPA wasn’t going to be a reasonable defense in the hours after taking RM so the job Katz has is to make sure management gives a new mission statement to the scouts.

Do you really believe that’s the owner’s job?

If so, you might just as well send the team management triumvirate packing.

I know you’ve been a student of the issues that caused in Detroit…why the change of tune?

DSF: Do you really believe that’s the owner’s job?

If so, you might just as well send the team management triumvirate packing.

You know this! IF Vancouver were in the same spot you’d be thrilled if the owner stepped in.

74. nathan says:

Whoa. They say no decision made at the final scout’s meeting. Which means MBS or MBS+ reserved the decision. So unless MBS or his bosses leaked something those folks who claimed to know the final call ahead of time were blowing smoke.

If MBS+ agreed on a final call and Katz rebelled that’s a whole ‘nuther story. But yahoos that don’t know and blow smoke always cover their ignorance by blowing more smoke. Lookin’ at you Tencer wannabees like Treena S. Whoah. Check out how close those names are grassy knoll types.

75. DSF says:

Lowetide: The owner’s job is to put in place a staff that can tell the difference between Nail Yakupov and the rest of this draft class. The ONLY way Murray gets ahead of the Russian is if the mission statement is ‘find the best D’ and yes I think the owner’s job is to step in when a major, franchise changing error is about to happen.

If Aqullini stepped in to personnel decisions I’m certain Gillis would resign in a Vancouver Minute ™

Katz has already stepped on his dink with the Horcoff contract, his offer to Laraque and the many Moby Dick Moments ™.

If Katz has put in place a staff that can’t tell the difference between Yakupov and the rest of the draft class and has to overrule them, then he has put in place the wrong staff.

And the act of overruling them is a huge tell.

You know it’s entirely possible to make the right decision for the wrong reasons.

Never a dull moment in Oiler Land.

76. danny says:

Another possibility here, is the Oilers don’t know who Garfield is, and certain groups were told the wrong information. Now they have a better handle on the situation.

Or, Katz realizes that his staff aren’t infallible, maybe recognized a heavy hand dominating the process (Lowe?) and exercised good business practice in stopping a possible mistake before it happened.

This is a great sign if Katz did indeed step in. It means two things. 1) he is paying attention and he may be ready to fix some things… 2) he’s not the old boys clubs rich pal, letting the jocks run amok with keys to the lamborghini, as we have suspected.

Normally owner intervention in hockey decisions is a bad thing, but given the BPA situation, the owners and managements respective history, this would be very welcome news.

77. nathan says:

nathan,

Off topic . But for this draft how useful were consensus drafts at placing forwards vs defense in the top 10? It would have been more useful to know that there was a huge gap after the first two forwards. And that the top 8 defenders were more tightly clustered due to the diversity of skill sets they represented. If that was the case.

nathan:
    Whoa. They say no decision made at the final scout’s meeting. Which means MBS or MBS+ reserved the decision. So unless MBS or his bosses leaked something anyone else was blowing smoke.

If MBS+ agreed on a final call and Katz rebelled that’s a whole ‘nuther story. But yahoos that don’t know andblow smoke always cover their ignorance by blowing more smoke.

I think we can all be certain that MBS agreed on the final call.

79. nathan says:

danny,

We don’t know. But if Katz had to intervene, I’d expect him to follow up appropriately in the next while. Typically guys who think they are going there put a watchdog in place ahead of time and prepare some contingencies. Watch out if he suddenly puts a guy with an MBA in their midst.

80. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Even if Murray is a 1B in this draft, I doubt it would have worked in Oiler silks.

Let’s face it, Poti would’ve been nothing compared to the expectations that would’ve fallen on Murray by the fans. As a #1, he was being sold as the fix for the D – a Neidermayer in the making. With a lack of physicality, the makeup of the other D, and Yakupov scoring even 30g, he would’ve been incredibly scrutinized.

As ridiculous as it is, Oil fans inexplicably blame the player for the situation and not the GM or put him there.

81. nathan says:

Agreed. The most likely variations on that are that:

a) the charge and call were clearcut to him and his call went right up the ladder (even if he had a scout or two that recommended the D).

b) the right call was clear to him but not the charge and there was a process to adjust the charge to his satisfaction however high that had to go. One variation on that is that the charge included a process not to bring it to Katz until all 4 had exhausted it. Which is why I doubt anything other than Yakupov went to Katz.

82. slopitch says:

I’m with Danny here.

Katz is playing the role of Tyrion Lannister. Remember in the Game of Thrones when Tyrion knew there was a leak and told the 3 different Lords a different story to find out who was leaking information. This is what the Katz did to the Edmonton media. He blew smoke up their asses and to gain info and had some fun with it. Now the media members that were fed bs are covering their stores to restore their credit.

Its a plausible theory anyways ;) At least they made the right call.

83. nathan says:

slopitch,

Someone there likes Matty a lot or would like him to be listened to going forward.

84. gcw_rocks says:

Since the Oilers drafting pattern seems to have returned to the method they had during MacT’s coaching days, my working thoery is the return of the coke machine is MacT driven, since nothing else in the management team changed and the shift was fairly dramatic.

Welcome back MacT. Stay the f*%k away from the amateur side of the business Its the one thing Tambo has shown any competency at since he got here. He needs help on the pro side, you egotistical jack ass.

85. DSF says:

Lowetide: I think we can all be certain that MBS agreed on the final call.

Why, exactly?

86. nathan says:

“my working thoery is the return of the coke machine is MacT driven, since nothing else in the management team changed and the shift was fairly dramatic”

gcw_rocks,

For another view on the reason for the change, refer to this well managed team:

87. bookje says:

I heard that Katz’ kid blackmailed Daryl Katz to force Tambellini to pick Yakupov over Murray because his (Katz’ kid’s) girlfriend Trina said that Murray was ‘dreamy’ and while he awkwardly agreed with her, he set his blackmail plan into motion to ensure that Murray never set foot in the Oilers dressing room by secretly videotaping Daryl Katz having sex with Kevin Lowe’s wife, continuing an affair that started before Daryl bought the team after Lowe’s wife told him that they could finally be together ‘intimately’ if he bought the team and gave Kevin a better paying job.

I am pretty sure it is all true because I heard it from this guy.

88. nathan says:

DSF,

Why not? Treena S? St@uffer? Sources who could not know because the scouts at the final meeting did not know?

MBS strikes me as very low risk in round 1. And the only risk with Yakupov would be charge related i.e. cost of the next contract with KHL as leverage. Why imagine he was outside the BPA consensus?

89. Traktor says:

Edmonton drafts consensus #1

Katz, Stu, and Tambellini are bad dudes for drafting consensus #1

lol

haters gonna hate

90. PunjabiOil says:

Why, exactly?

Why not?

Lets be honest – Bra and Panties hardly is the epitome of credible. She throws so many darts, she is bound to be right every now and then. She lied about her identity – she could very well be a fraud.

The Oilers have been hush-hush about who they were going to draft. They have kept things extremely close to their chest ever since Tambellini took over. The Ryan Murray propaganda may very well have been intentional misleading.

Go back to 2010 and Lowe remarked they made their decision in May 2010 that they would take Taylor Hall, and the rest of it was a media smokescreen. They fooled us twice. We can’t say with any certainty one way or the other.

91. nathan says:

bookje,

You forgot about the bonfire and the crib.

92. gd says:

danny,

Exactly Danny. I take this as a very positive development, if there is going to be some additional scrutiny from Katz.

This was a crazy and bad draft class. I have been reminded how mediocre to bad most hockey people are in doing their jobs. There were so many head scratching examples that I now have no idea how the Oilers could finish 30, 30, 29 with how many badly run teams there are.

Why Cbus would pick Murray and not want Yak makes no sense as the only org strength is D. Howson has so misplayed the Nash trade that he might play in the KHL next year as I think the price is just going keep going down.

Carolina traded the 8th pick, possibly the best young checking C in the league and a good D prospect for one extra year of Jordan Staal. I keep hearing they are going for the cup this year, but right now they have the two Staals, Skinner and Faulk. They better hope they get 2006 Ward and can sign Suter or else they are 50/50 for the playoffs.

Plus I don’t get this desire to reunite brothers. It’s worked great for the Sedins, but people forget there was a ton of risk for Van, if one of them became a star and one struggled. I seem to recall Philly had issues in the 80s because Ron was so good and Rich not so much. If Luc struggles in Philly, which is not a kind town to struggling D, could that not effect Brendan. The Staals basically own Carolina now. They will have about 25% of the team salary.

Finally, it looks to me that Detroit, Nashville, New Jersey, Minnesota, Colorado, Dallas and Carolina have their playoff chances all predicated on signing either Suter and/or Parise and now Pittsburgh Is sitting with unanticipated Cap Space. I think there could be 10 teams in the “not winning for McKinnon” derby.

Ps: I will never understand New Jersey keeping their pick.

93. bookje says:

Hours after the deadline to give up this years pick, Lou was insisting that the deadline had not passed so it would seem to me that they kept this pick because they simply screwed up.

94. gogliano says:

Crazy Lou is old and isn’t going to be around forever and thus wants to use the picker sooner than later is the only thing I could some up with.

95. PDO says:

gogliano:

A prospect at 29 today helps more in 2 years than a prospect at 25 next year does in 2 years.

You’re close.. but it’s net present value, and it’s the Kovy contract window.

96. nathan says:

“Forsberg kept getting ranked in the top 5 by almost every scouting service, yet LT was questioning his boxcars all year, and obviously the real scouts were too.”

The consensus drafts were not quite ready to say the forward class was that thin at the top.

The number of overage picks was also interesting. The cap keeps on marching the GMs towards quickly filling the edges around the long term core.

97. oilersfan says:

For those hating the Moroz pick, have you not looked at the teams that were in the cup finals the last few years?

_ LA, NJ

- Van, Boston

- Chicago, Philly

OF those 6 teams, how many players did they have under6’0 , 200lbs? 2? maybe 3?

If the Oilers are going to keep Yak, Gagner and Eberle, that is ALL they can have of that size. In the playoffs every inch is battled for and 5’10 180 lb guys lose the battle to 6’3 220 guys. I don’t see the attitude against “coke machines” as being credible.

Sure, you don’t pick lousy ones like Paukovich and Colin MacDonald, but that Jar Jar guy has similar stats to Jamie Benn and better than Riley Nash in the same league at the same age, but with size and an edge. Moroz is trending up, is a good skater, played ZERO pp time, got every goal at even strength, and Bob Green, who appears to be a pretty damn good evaluator of talent says he thinks he will be a good NHL pro ala Lucic. In Bob Green’s opinion, he won’t be a 4th line tough guy like Hordichuk, but have a decent chance of being a top or second line complementary guy, like Ryan Malone or Scott Hartnell.

So enough whining about the pick. Listen to guys like Green or Corey Graham who have seen Moroz play every night. Quit wishing the OIlers picked another undersized forward like Pontus or whoever. Those players won’t make this team as long as the undersized fab four are there. Like Linus Omark, there is no interest by any team in the NHL for undersized guys on the third or fourth line. They can’t win the battles against the good teams who have monster dmen and monster forwards; they get boxed out, with no time and space to make the play. Only the legit, elite athletes can play at that level. They are few and far between. The oilers have a few of them now, they will be on the team as the only undersized players. Now they are looking to fill out the roster with some bigger guys with skill. That is the MO and they are right to do it. Look at the successful teams in the NHL and count the small guys.

It is a small list…

Please find me a team with more than 3 guys under 6 feet at forward that is a good team.

98. gcw_rocks says:

nathan,

That just means you take the biggest dude available in the cluster around where you pick. it doesn’t mean you blow your second round pick on a 3rd or 4th round guy, your 3rd around pick on a 5th round guy and so on…

99. gcw_rocks says:

oilersfan,

They could have had Phillip Di Giuseppe, “Phillip is a good sized winger who plays a hard driving game and makes it difficult for defenders. He is a very good skater with quickness, that may be better than his speed, and allows him to create opportunities for himself and his team. His agility and balance is strong and he’s very difficult to push away from where he desires to go.”

Di Giuseppe has some filling out to do, but he has skill. I can send a guy to the gym to get bigger. I can’t send him to the gym to get more skill. You either have it or you don’t. Moroz doesn’t.

Detroit, btw, drafted Martin Frk in the second round, who is over 200 pounds and has, wait for it, skill.

100. Captain Obvious says:

oilersfan,

First, you are setting up a false dichotomy. No one is suggesting that small players are better than larger players. What we are suggesting is that good players are better than bad players and that size is an irrelevant consideration in deciding whether someone is a good or bad player.

Second, why can be under 6’0″ (your completely arbitrary cut off point) on the first and second line but you can’t be on the third and fourth? Do you think that what happens while the fourth line is on the ice has an impact on what happens when your first line is on the ice.

Third, teams do play short players on their third and fourth lines. NJ used Stephen Gionta, all 5’7″ of him to great effect on their fourth line. They also gave heavy minutes to two defensemen under 6’0″. Can you name them off the top of your head? The reason you can’t is because it doesn’t show up in the game. Because size doesn’t matter. Given the general size of the population of elite athletes, if anything the lesson of these playoff is how irrelevant size is to success.

Fourth, speaking of New Jersey Zach Parise is 5’11″ and about to get paid a fortune. The team with the most guys like Parise is the team that wins the game. The point of the draft is to find guys like Parise. If the Oilers had 12 of them they would win the Stanley Cup every year.

Fifth, Voynov is also only 5’11″. That guy is awesome. Jack Johnson is 6’1″ and he’s terrible. Tell me why does size matter again?

101. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I might be taking a shot in the dark here but this is what I think the Oilers should do right away besides getting Yakupov signed.

The Oilers should trade and sign for Latendresse, The Wild won’t tender a $2.5 million qualifying offer to Latendresse.

If the Oilers are so desperate for a 1 or 2 defenseman, the Flames definitely have Bouwmeester on the block and that’s no secret. A higher end prospect plus mid round pick might be enough at this point to get him.

I would take a chance on the smooth skating and passing Bouwmeester especially since this is going to be the last year of Whitney and his contract.

102. commonfan14 says:

PDO: He takes a home-town discount any way you slice it…

Who, exactly, was going to give Hemsky more than he got?

That contract has been a laughingstock around the league since it was signed.

103. Bruce McCurdy says:

The Real PutzStew: Jones will do what ever is asked at him and people still won’t appreciate him.

^ truth ^

104. Bruce McCurdy says:

I do like the idea of having a second Russian to mentor Yakupov. It worked so well with Bobo & Kovy.

Bruce McCurdy: ^ truth ^

They ask Jones to goal suck, miss defensive assignments and fall down a lot?

Good PKer though.

106. Archie says:

Cannot believe that people would think Methot, Franson, or Hjalmerson would be a option for the Oilers. Franson does skate well north to south, above average shoot, but has poor lateral movement and is often caught standing still. Hjalmerson is sound defensively, does block shots, but no offensive skills and does not hit. Hjalmerson has a 40-60hts per year for the last 3 years. Methot is a 7th D on most teams why trade for him. Face it these 3 came from teams that had worse D stats then Edmonton and were 3rd pairing or the 7D, its ridiculous to even think it.

Gagner will not be traded until the Oilers have a viable option at center. Pass on Smyth, like him as a player, but he has become a boat anchor, especially in the 2nd half of the season.

As far as I’m concerned the Oilers drop the ball this draft, IMO Yakupov will most likely be knocked out this season, or will be sent down to the minors. For Hemsky to regain his value he’s going have to play top minutes, and he’ll will not get that as long as Yakupov is around. Not because he’s better, because Yakupov will be given every chance to make the team, even if it hurts them. That door knob Lowe will not admit he made a mistake. Like Kruger as a coach, but rather have Sutter. At least Sutter will stand up to Tambo and the door knob, Kruger will most likely coach the way Lowe wants it.

107. Cactus says:

I wish I could say I`m shocked that some people here are so gullible as to swallow the latest Treena`s Oil rumour hook, line and sinker. You guys are searching for a narrative harder than the mainstream media does!

Tencer, et al. have an INCENTIVE to say that there was a last minute switch. If they don`t, it looks like they were idiots when they all but guaranteed that the Oilers were taking Murray. This is the only way to save face, by suggesting they were right until the very last minute, when the powers that be swooped in to change everything.

Of course there is a possibility that Katz or Lowe or Tambellini overruled someone. But it is no more likely than the fact that the Oilers simply duped a bunch of people and wanted Yakupov anyways.

108. DeadmanWaking says:

As a child in the early 1970s (whose father who introduced me to the digital revolution when I was unusually young) I said to myself “why should I memorize whether schmo ends with an e when in not more than another ten years, the machines will fix my mistakes for me?” My teachers never saw it this way. How can they tell whether I’m learning if my brain contains nothing useless? Useful information is that which accelerates synthesis. Very hard to test. Then the whippersnapper starts up a company at age 20 that eliminates 200,000 conventional jobs and really takes the shine off all those gold stars you gave out for drawing blueprints by hand.

109. DeadmanWaking says:

If we do get JS with our eighth round pick, this will be one of our good drafts, Moroz included.

110. DeadmanWaking says:

It’s funny how people disdain capitulation to backlash in a town that has sacrificed many decent players on the Aztec altar of public perception. You can’t have it both ways. If management brings in a good player and the fans make the player miserable because they dislike his style, who is at fault? If the management can see it coming, they should think twice.

It’s partly due to this history I think that present management doesn’t buy into incrementalist nirvana (though they wouldn’t turn it down if it fell into their laps). This summer is the first summer of our protracted rebuild where an incrementalism denier (Tambi by public reputation) really has to do more than bide time in the basement. Incrementalism is the notion that your team has to improve a little bit each year (in the standings), or you are wasting daylight. Nonsense. You can progress on so many other levels. The true downside is that you paint yourself into a very uncomfortable corner when the day of reckoning finally comes. This present summer is Act I of “up against the wall”. Uncomfortable corners are no great disaster if you’ve prepared yourself extremely well. Any general will tell you that. It matters not whether your preparation is visible from the outside, nor even if your reputation has taken a sustained beating while the storm gathered. It’s the law of the battlefield (and the sporting universe) that if you bring it on game day, all sins are forgiven. I’m guessing that Lowe and MacT are conversant in this law first hand. Did we enjoy the run of 2006 because Lowe sat around and did nothing the whole season? In my books, he made a mighty pounce. But man, did he play chicken with the three-headed goaltender until the last five yards. I couldn’t have done it.

Meanwhile, the natives are restless. We’re angry they haven’t capitulated to our demands for steady, incremental progress. Yet we’re also miffed they might have capitulated to backlash sentiment.

Hiring MacT on the eve of the summer of reckoning to my mind is a damn good omen. You think MacT wants to hire a new coach into the same noose that creaked over his head? The noose of holes the coach can’t possible fill with available talent, so he inserts his own neck?

I think incrementalism is something an organization learns to practice after you’ve been doing it right for a decade or more. This is why the following the Detroit model was never an option (on this iteration). Most of the upside derives from the context of running a well oiled machine. Phasing out Crude Oil for Machine Oil is not done in a day.

It’s really damn hard to tell who is dithering with purpose until the sun rises on the field of battle.

Lincoln offered this famous evaluation of McClellan: “If he can’t fight himself, he excels in making others ready to fight.” Indeed, McClellan was the most popular of that army’s commanders with its soldiers, who felt that he had their morale and well-being as paramount concerns.

What McClellan failed to grasp is that public sentiment has a date of expiry. Back at the office, Lincoln was dying on his political sword trying to forestall proponents of a negotiated settlement leaving slavery intact.

Our pipeline has rarely looked better than it now does under Tambi. The opposite of McClellan was Lewis Armistead.

Armistead led his brigade from the front, waving his hat from the tip of his saber, and reached the stone wall at the “Angle”, which served as the charge’s objective. The brigade got farther in the charge than any other, an event sometimes known as the High Water Mark of the Confederacy, but it was quickly overwhelmed by a Union counterattack. Armistead was shot three times just after crossing the wall.

Isn’t that how the world works? The decisive get all the glory.

Dithering: Mediocre, unless you’re planting a garden.
    Decisiveness: Brilliant, if survived.
    Incrementalism: Impossible without a solid foundation.
    Gather, then storm: Dicey. Buff that sway bar until it gleams.

Where I tend to disagree with LT is his feeling that small sensible moves would have made the whole process less appallingly unwatchable, e.g. a forth line worth having. This is true. But it wouldn’t have been neutral in draft position and probably not in community sentiment (the appetite of your fans tends to grow with the eating). Not long ago I heard voices in Colorado muttering “too good, too soon”. Imagine if in between Hall and Yak we picked 19th? Would our present opinion of Tambo be any better? No, he’d probably be fish food and we’d be tucking in our napkins anticipating the next schlump. Is losing more palatable if you burp in the middle? Some seem to think it is.

111. Chris says:

The Flyers have – Danielle Briere 5’10, Maxime Talbot 5’11, Claude Giroux 5’11, Kimmo Timonen 5’10

The Penguins have – Crosby 5’11, Asham 5’11, Cooke 5’11, Kennedy 5’11, Sullivan 5’7. Vitale 5’11

The Blackhawks have – Carcillo 5’11, Kane 5’11, Kruger 5’11, Leddy 5’11,

That’s three playoff teams and I haven’t had to look very hard.

112. denny33 says:

PDO,

DSF,

This will not be popular, but in many circles the Oilers are put in the same category as Columbus and the Islanders. . Sometimes, we are the topic of a lot of conversations.

If half of what is being reported is true – Katz having to go against his own scouting staff – it would lend credence to what some third parites say about us.