YOU BETTER YOU BET

Nail Yakupov is the headliner at the Oilers prospect camp getting underway today in Sherwood Park.

Oilers fans get their first glimpse at the new kids just drafted, the kids who have signed pro contracts and the injured pro’s this week. Here are some names to watch:

1. G Tyler Bunz: Had some concussion issues, remains a quality prospect.
  2. D Oscar Klefbom: Rumors in the dailies that the Oilers may want him to come back in the fall for main camp.
  3. D Taylor Fedun: It’ll be important for him to show how far he has progressed since the injury. If fully recovered, we’ll have to start talking about where he fits on the depth chart.
  4. D Kyle Bigos: Huge defender will spend another year in the NCAA. He told Guy Flaming on the Pipeline show last night.
  5. D Dillon Simpson: Interested to see if his foot speed has improved.
  6. D Martin Gernat: He came a long way this season.
  7. D David Musil: Injury derailed season, need to make sure he’s recovered.
  8. D Erik Gustafsson: We don’t know a thing about him.
  9. D Joey Laleggia: Impressive stats, I wonder if they turn him pro next year?
  10. R Nail Yakupov. Rock star.
  11. L Tobias Rieder: The forward version of Gernat in terms of season over season improvement, it’ll be interesting to see how much he gets noticed this camp.
  12. L Curtis Hamilton: A huge year begins in his hockey career. Hamilton needs to have a big recovery season in OKC 12-13.
  13. L Daniil Zharkov: Big winger with skill, we get a chance to see his scoring ability up close.
  14. C Ryan Martindale: Like Hamilton, he needs to show something pdq. The last good thing we read about him was during TC last fall.

Oilers will announce Ralph Krueger as the team’s new head coach today, too. As I mentioned yesterday, this has some good arrows in that he’s not a retread and is obviously a very bright guy.

Having said that, this roster has holes and the Oilers haven’t done anything to address defense, goaltending and veteran forwards. We’re into the window of opportunity now and the organization is still doing the chores at home. Plenty of rumors about trades for blue (Chicago, Montreal, Columbus) but we don’t really know how close they’ve been.

The Oilers will be flying to Toronto in order to meet with Justin Schultz before the weekend. Lowe, Tambellini and Katz are likely on the plane, I think they should have Krueger and MacT too. Maybe the Nuge and Ebs and Hall as well.

Schultz is a good player, that much we know. What makes him special.

• Wisconsin coach Mike Eaves: “It’s his vision. It’s his composure with the puck. It’s his puck skills. And the one thing that’s just a gift is his shot. He has the innate ability to get that puck to the net to allow for rebounds, tip-ins and goals. He’s got what we call a smart shot.”

I’m hopeful the Oilers don’t have all of their eggs in one basket. This isn’t a sure thing, and expectations are high this summer. Another Cam Barker July 1st would be a disaster.

Oilers will apparently meet with Ryan Smyth’s representation while in Toronto. One hopes this gets done.

I’m confident–based on the MacT hire, the Krueger hire, and the selection of Yakupov–Edmonton will make better bets on players. The chores are done, time to go to town and do some shopping.

142 Responses to "YOU BETTER YOU BET"

1. franksterra says:

As usual, fine last line- says it all. Bring the egg money and your old new hat.

2. regwald says:

For some reason, this post has me pumped about the possibilities. I wonder if I will feel the same way on July 7 or July 10 ? LOL

3. Romulus Apotheosis says:

This is a very exciting time. I have no idea of our mgt. group will be able to turn the corner from perpetual loser to winner… but the nuts and bolts are falling into place and this next will is full of opportunity.

More than that, what is exciting is the development camp. These guys are going to be super amped up and full of hope. It’s infective.

Klefbom. watched the oilers video of him yesterday. Looked a lot larger than he did last year on draft day. It was remarkable. Seemed much more composed with the media too.

Today Krueger, in the next seven days Schultz and Smyth and you are starting to see the potential flower.

4. Ryan says:

As I said in the previous thread… After having coached the Swiss men’s team at the international level for 13 years, who else (besides Krueger), has more experience at bringing a knife to a gun fight? Perfect hire for the Oilers :)

5. Professor Q says:

Unrelated, besides not hiring him for a coach, but do the Oilers retire 77 now?

6. Ryan says:

I’ve been trying to figure out what Schultz will do.

1. He didn’t want to live in the US anymore after his time in Wisconsin? Narrows down his options, but doesn’t necessarily put the Oil drop on his jersey.

2. He burned Anaheim simply for a quicker route to UFA status to make more $ quicker… Only narrows him down or 29 teams.

3. He had some conflict with management of the Ducks…. Same as above.

4. He wants to live closer to home. Obviously this points to nucks, but Edmonton wouldn’t be completely out of the picture.

5. Given that it’s only a two-year pack, he probably wants or maximize his opportunity for ice time and stats towards a bigger pay day. Edmonton seems like an obvious fit. He could walk right into 1st unit Pp time on a team with some skill (3 number 1 OV and a good PP ranking last season.)

6. He wanted to play for a playoff caliber team. Not so good for us, but not sure what the rush would be at his age.

In my mind, it would seem to be down to Vancouver and us. On Vancouver he gets a smaller role on a better team while living closer to home. On Edmonton, he has a good chance to play some big pp minutes on a team that should field a pretty decent PP even allowing for correction of percentages. Vancouver would likely have less patience for him adjusting to the NHL level.

I think it’s 1-2 for Vancouver and us, but I’m not sure what the order would be.

Ryan,

Actually he is adding a year by going this route.

Given his age his ELC wouild be 2 years, regardless of who he signed with.

ANA asked him to join the club in March. 10 games in the NHL would have burned a year off his 2 year ELC, and he’d have just next year to play and he’d be on his 2nd contract.

They way he is doing it actually adds a year before his 2nd contract.

Destination must be important to him.

Romulus Apotheosis,

The next week makes or breaks v4.0 as GM of the OIlers.

If they come out with Methot as the big D addition, then he’s done.

If he comes out with Shultz, an Actiual NHL 1-4 Dman, a good young goalie, good vet LW then he’s near god status.

Lots of room in between those two outcomes for all kinds of mediocrity.

9. vishcosity says:

Although the league is obviously against such behaviour, I wonder how much underhanded payment really goes on. Pretty hard for anyone to stop Batman from hiring some random Schultz uncle to some advisory position in the parent company with a whopping bonus, if its really about the money then I think they could slide it by the league in about fifty different ways. Another real perk to having a billionaire owner, something Rogers couldn’t do for the MLSE.

A book on these last couple years, published by some insider down the road will be bought by this clown if published for sure.

Dreger tweet:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Edmtn’s young stars are thrilled with Krueger’s promotion. He’s much more than a motivational coach. He can be tough as well.

11. bookje says:

With regards to Schultz, I think it is largely out of management’s hands so I won’t put too much blame/kudos on management either way.

Vishc- I think they are very vigilant and it would be a great risk to hire that uncle. I am betting the league would take away 3+ first round picks plus $$.

12. scobes says:

Anyone know when is a good time to go to mp and watch the boys skate? Gotta see yak klef and fedun

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Romulus Apotheosis,

The next week makes or breaks v4.0 as GM of the OIlers.

If they come out with Methot as the big D addition, then he’s done.

Lots of room in between those two outcomes for all kinds of mediocrity.

I’m guessing we’ll land sub-telemark and firmly in the mediocrity pile, but I’m hoping for the Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner, Swiss, of course:

ps. make a game of it and count the typos in my last post!

14. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:

Vishc-I think they are very vigilant and it would be a great risk to hire that uncle.I am betting the league would take away 3+ first round picks plus $$.

Of course it’s not like Hockey clubs don’t make up positions all the time and it’s not like Hockey isn’t extraordinarily enamoured of nepotism.

15. Esa10 says:

Take it for what it’s worth but “allegedly” he told a few of his teammates before he left Wisonsin that it was between Edmonton and Detroit.

Things could change, but I see the Oilers having a 50% shot.

16. vishcosity says:

bookje,

Of course the league has to say that they’re watching any quiet payments, and we can be certain the Ducks will be for sure, but in reality, if Katz wanted to pay me a couple million on the condition that I gave a bunch of krugerands to JS, I would probably do it, and I doubt anyone could ever figure it out. I’ve been trying to think of any example of any team in sports every being caught for such, and I cannot remember one. Boy that would be some bad press all around. Given the stakes in pro sports, I gotta think it happens way more than I will ever know.

Here in Phoenix the yote kids skate today and I convinced my father in law to tag along. We’re going to check it out around 2 today, sure too bad the Oilers didn’t get Samuelson, but I’m stoked he landed here. While I’m kinda excited to see what they have going with the local club, loyalty is a funny thing. I like to root for the home team, somehow I don’t think I could ever shake the Oiler blue from this blood. Does it lend back to some tribal moray? Are we culturally conditioned by social clan thinking? Probably the Stanleys of my youth are a big factor for sure, still I think had they never won I’d be hooked somehow all the same.

17. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Full version for anyone interested. Be sure to turn on the captions:

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:
  19. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Seems to be official:

I wonder if that is ‘it’ for the press conference at this point and the rush was on to get it out so that they could all head off to Toronto very early this AM so they could meet Schultz.

It almost looks as though they filmed it in some back room somewhere. Seems thrown together.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje,

Not exactly a lot of fanfare is there? I would definitely say they filmed it last night. Who knows if they are going to do a proper press conference and introduce Krueger at some point… it would make sense… but this team hates communicating with the public and the JS sweepstakes is on…

21. nathan says:

“Who knows if they are going to do a proper press conference and introduce Krueger at some point…”

Romulus Apotheosis,

I’d imagine the press at the 9 am conference, and anyone listening on the radio to Tambi and Krueger speaking there.

22. Jordan says:

If you want more info about what’s going on this morning, check out Bruce’s Feed.

@BruceMcCurdy

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

nathan,

Ha!

thanks. the perils of not living in Edmonton strike once more. The website didn’t list a press conference, still doesn’t that I can find.

Jordan,

thanks for a helpful response.

24. Ribs says:

Professor Q:
    Unrelated, besides not hiring him for a coach, but do the Oilers retire 77 now?

You really miss Gilbert that much, huh? Nah, I’m still waiting for Sundins banner ceremony and parade in Vancouver.

I’m really looking forward to Krueger’s reign as coach. It sounds like he can really play up a teams strengths to overcome their weaknesses. He could be setting the tone and tempo this team plays with for the next decade.

25. Downright Fierce says:

Some notes from some early skating drills:
    - Fedun’s skating looks near to if not at his pre-injury level
    - Jesus, Bigos takes up a lot of ice
    - Yak pulled up early in a couple drills. Smiling & bouncy tho, looks like he wants to get going
    - Jones twins can MOVE
    - Yak couldn’t manage a ballet stance style skating drill & just sort of hopped from one foot to the other, got big laughs
    - Klefbom is silky smooth

Any players you’re curious about, let me know :)

26. striatic says:

so, talking about bringing a knife to a gun fight, this blog tends to focus on player acquisition and development. also deployment.

but what about the systems side? what can Krueger do from a systems perspective to improve this team given the existing pieces?

27. Cactus says:

Downright Fierce,

Thanks for being our eyes down there! I personally am most curious about Klefbom and Fedun. As LT stated at the start of the thread, where does Fedun sit on the depth chart if he’s recovered? As for Klefbom, scouts seem to love him but we know so little.

Anything you can provide would be great.

28. cabbiesmacker says:

Pure speculation but I wonder if the Hawks being rumored in on the Suter sweepstakes if one Duncan Keith might be available. I know Scotty isn’t a big fan with the way Keith has fallen off a tad since the cup victory and what Scotty want’s is usually what Scotty gets. If Hawks are simply trying to clear space Keith’s asking price shouldn’t be as high but I’d spin next years first, or one Mr Gagner into the equation for starters.

Call me whacked if you willl but I’d be willing to make Yakupov part of a Keith deal as well.

29. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Downright Fierce,

Thanks so much for that review!

I’m with Cactus… more about Fedun and Klefbom. Who are these Joneses and are they actually twins?

How about the new coke machines? Can they move, are they that big?

Mostly though I’m interested in the D… anything on any of them would be appreciated. thanks.

30. Downright Fierce says:

Pucks on ice for some stickhandling drills & now some pylon work.

Standouts were: Yak, Pelss, Klefbom. Only slug seemed to be Brandon Davidson.

Tricky pylon drill handled by Yak with aplomb. Had a trainer barking at his heels too. These guys seem to be on a mission to make these kids fall over. They have accomplished it multiple times haha.

31. LMHF#1 says:

Fedun was a great story before the injury. If he makes it all the way back , you’ve got to believe he’ll do well.

As the Schultz discussion continues, I’ve realized I’m a little sad he’s not Joni Pitkanen version 2 in some ways (namely a great skater who is huge, separates people from the puck and can do that flip-shot clear to the opposition blue any time we’re in trouble). Still hoping like hell we sign him though.

32. Downright Fierce says:

Connor & Kellen Jones are a 7th round twofer from the Hall(?) draft. They are indeed twins.

Rinks split. I’m staying by the D rink for you Klefbom & Fedun.

33. franksterra says:

“On hockey’s world stage, Coach Krueger exhibited his poise and experience behind the bench to help the Suisse Team overachieve in Torino. This is an example of the type of leadership Ralph will bring to Edmonton,” Tambellini said in a news release.

Poise
    World stage
    Surprised he didn’t add that Uwe Krupp’s dad liked his play in 1981!

It’s a bit of a shame that no matter how sound the decisions end up, ST will always undercut his own standing by being talk not able so good.

34. art vandelay says:

I’m dealin’ with a memory that never forgets

35. Downright Fierce says:

D doing chase-pass-shoot drills. Best sequence had Gernat pick up his own rebound only to be robbed by Perhonen. Only drills but huge flash of leather on a guy who had been finding the twine the most.

Erik Gustafsson looks like a pro. Unsurprising maybe due to his SEL seasoning.

Klefbom & Fedun among the best puck handlers. Bigos looking choppy but he is undeniably a load. He’s unafraid to ask questions tho, seemed to be clearing up some skating drill stuff with a trainer even as the puck drills started.

Most folks followed the Yakupov show. But just overheard a grumpy fan come back to the D side complaining that he’d “rather watch someone who’s trying.” I assume he means Yakupov as it was clear he wasnt that invested in the earlier drills.

36. Professor Q says:

‘Tis really nice to see all the positive reviews this morning about Krueger and all the kids’ performances; the rookie tourny should be fun!

37. Downright Fierce says:

LaLeggia is a munchkin. A few of the guys kneeling down are almost as big as him standing up.

As drills wear on, Fedun maybe not going as hard as the others. Could be his efficiency fooling the eye, but one wonders if he’s still holding back due to injury. Wouldn’t be surprised if he had a mandate from the trainers as he’s likely seen them everyday for the better part of a year. The others carry less risk & more reward for driving hard.

38. Professor Q says:

Oh boy, Moncton picked a super small winger first overall – 5.07 and 128 lbs??

Apparently they think he can make a good power forward…

39. Downright Fierce says:

Best thing I’ve seen from Kelfbom may be his ability to take a pass.

Biggest shot is probably Gernat, but Bigos has quite the clapper. Found a lot of iron too.

Zamboni’s out on the other surface. Break time!

40. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Downright Fierce,

just another note of thanks. eagerly reading the updates.

you think Yak might have an Iverson issue:

“Erik Gustafsson looks like a pro. Unsurprising maybe due to his SEL seasoning.”

That’s the most info I have on the guy. Good to hear.

Is Musil looking ok?

I’d be surprised if Fedun was doing more than 75%

Bob McKenzie tweet:

Regarding Schultz, EDM contingent in TOR includes Kevin Lowe/Craig MacTavish; VAN contingent is GM Mike Gillis/asst GM Laurence Gilman.

EDM is smart to leave Tambellini at home. Not a great speaker.

In a previous thread I suggested feeding v4.0 dry salted crackers w/ peanut butter and nothing to drink, but leaving him at home is better.

Biggest FA pitch they have this year and v4.0 isn’t going.

You can’t tell me the buck stops at his desk for anything relating to the NHL team.

He may be the final say on some AHL matters, but who is on the plane is who runs the team.

franksterra:

Poise
    World stage
    Surprised he didn’t add that Uwe Krupp’s dad liked his play in 1981!

It’s a bit ofa shame that no matter how sound the decisions end up, ST will always undercut his own standing by being talk not able so good.

But what did Stevie Y think?

43. Professor Q says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I think Yakupov has made it clear he loves improving himself and making himself better and better at every opportunity, and understand the importance of practice and of how to get onto an NHL team (his current goal).

44. Downright Fierce says:

Musil seemed steady, but didn’t stand out. Might be the story of his career, heh.

45. jonrmcleod says:

Apparently Krueger has written a book: Teamlife: From Failure to Success. I’d read it if I could find it. It appears to be out of print.

46. Ribs says:

Hehe…Hitchcock wins a Jack Adams Trophy and gets a 2 year deal. Krueger helps lead the team to the basement and gets 3. Nyuk, nyuk.

47. jake70 says:

MacT and Lowe going to Toronto – likely bringing thier 12 cup rings won with the Edmonton/New York OIlers for some razzle dazzle effect.

48. rich says:

Very sad when you need to leave your GM home when it comes time for a big presentation (for Schultz), but I’m glad to hear that as well. When he hedges/mumbles and fumbles for an answer it only hurts the organization.

Maybe he’s better one on one, but he is a dreadful public speaker.

49. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Woodguy:
    Bob McKenzie tweet:

EDM is smart to leave Tambellini at home.Not a great speaker.

Biggest FA pitch they have this year and v4.0 isn’t going.

Ok… here’s my theory. I don’t know if I read it somewhere else and internalized it or what…

But the mgt. team seems to have never really granted ST the reins in the way a typical GM would expect. That first season of Oil Change sure looked like he was a hanger on at everything critical and I haven’t seen any serious changes since.

So, the team sucks under his tenure, but they don’t really give him power… so they don’t really trust him… that two strikes, right? 1) lack of faith; 2) poor results

And yet… he gets re-upped…

Is it possible ST is there to serve a punching bag for the public while the adults take care of business?

Seems that way… but if that is the case… wouldn’t you want a competent communicator? ST has horrible press skills IMO…. so what is the point exactly??

Are the Oilers just really enamoured with having a bloated mgt. staff? Do they like him personally? Or, do they want an empty figure head to take the fall when they inevitably eff-up…

ps. don’t you think JS will be a little confused as to who’s in charge? Couldn’t this damage are chances…

pps. they should have put Krueger on the plane.

50. Downright Fierce says:

Everyone back on the same sheet. Group passing drills. Craig Simpson-Sale in the building to watch young Dillon. Bad news: no sign of Jamie.

Now some shooting drills. Yak with a laser & a big grin. Critchlow with a few nice bullets.

51. DSF says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Yet another sign to support your theory:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

It appears the brass left Steve at home.

52. Jordan says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

1 – Steve Tambellini is like the stray dog you invite into your home during a big rain storm. Sure he shits on the floor and pisses on your bed, but you can’t help but feel sorry for the little thing, and not be too hard on him. And then before you know it, you like the thing and won’t get rid of it, in spite of all the crap you have to put up with.

K-Lowe found exactly what he needed to run this team with no public feedback – a patsy the masses won’t run out of town, who will take all the kicks, and then feel pity for and defend.

*Note to self – if ever decide to become super villain, get lots of stray dogs, and a few cute puppies, when expeditious retreats required…

2 – It might be confusing to some people, but I’d be shocked if Justin or his agent were. Seems pretty clear, based on who is on the plane. Then again, maybe Steve is working the phones to find Omark a new home.

3 – While I understand why you would have liked to see Krueger go chat with Justin, I expect that he’s likely more involved with other UFA stuff in prep for July 1. Better not to have all your eggs in one young man’s basket.

53. Downright Fierce says:

Yak directing some confused Dmen as they prep for a drill. He’s engaging with lots of guys, been having fun all morning.

Minuscule Brett Ferguson with some nice moves/shooting.

Zharkov might be a touch overwhelmed, but the tools are there. Really hard to notice the Coke Machines, but they can all motor.

54. Romulus Apotheosis says:

jonrmcleod:

Doesn’t appear to have been translated. But it is available in used copies all over if you can read auf Deustch. Have a preview of a few pages here:

Here’s his website with info on the book… also auf Deutsch

with the help of Google translate:

55. Bar_Qu says:

jonrmcleod,

Look for it in German. Germany is apparently where it was a best-seller.

A coach who writes best-sellers in German. Can’t tell me he isn’t a hard-@ss. ;-)

56. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

I apparently didn’t get enough sleep last night… these typos are amazing:

“Couldn’t this damage are chances…”

That one’s going on the fridge! My lady will be so proud!

57. Downright Fierce says:

Not news for Oil Kings fans but Pelss’ skating is unbelievable. Keeping up with Martindale & Yak in some nice breakout drills.

Buttery pass from Nail at full(?) speed. Buddy’s a demon in open ice.

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DSF,

Woodguy got the tweet… that’s what set me off.

Jordan,

That sounds about right on ST.

I’d want Krueger in person with JS. Gregor has a quote from an ex-player saying he is very persuasive. I’d utilize that. Plus as we see with POTUSes these days, you can “work” just about anywhere… they can make calls from the plane and what have you.

You’re right. he probably wouldn’t be confused… but maybe concerned. Too many cooks can create a difficult situation: who do I answer to? what if they all give me different impressions of what is expected? what if they have conflicting philosophies, styles?

It just might look like a headache.

59. Downright Fierce says:

Bruce has some great stuff on twitter, too.

60. bookje says:

As per Tambellini – I don’t think he is commander in chief all around like a Sather or Burke, but I do think he has a strong voice in the room. I think it truly is a management team in which multiple voices have a say. There is only one place that the ‘buck stops’ and that is Katz.

61. Maverick says:

Downright Fierce:

Bruce has some great stuff on twitter, too.

Thanks for the camp updates, pretty cool.

62. Maverick says:

Bar_Qu:
    jonrmcleod,

Look for it in German. Germany is apparently where it was a best-seller.

A coach who writes best-sellers in German. Can’t tell me he isn’t a hard-@ss.

I haven’t found the book in English as of yet, this is the book title in German, google doesn’t translate it correctly however. (German background has come in handy) :-)

63. nathan says:

Woodguy,

Finally. A reason for the timing of the coaching announcement. Kept Steve busy making sure that all is well in the garden.

On 2nd thought the Bob tweet just says those are the guys already on the ground talking to his camp etc. Who knows who will be there if they get a formal presentation slot. Meehan should have held this in Cleveland.

64. pboy says:

Downright Fierce: 10% left on the phone. Signing off from camp unless something amazing happens. Hope you guys dug the coverage. I may be coming back a few times over the next week.Bruce has some great stuff on twitter, too.

Good job, much appreciated.

65. bookje says:

Rom – just reading it now, some good quotes. I like this guy.

“Of course we need players who are on the teeth to bite and provide with bruises or muscle pain its performance.”

If we criticize, it should be noted above all that, namely that we are always factual. If a player is a bad pass that leads to concede, I have two choices: I can give the player an idiot and criticize him in front of his teammates or I can talk to him alone.

A great positive example is a player like Paul DiPietro, the Olympic hero from Torino. …he has received from us in the final phase of defensively oriented (last 10 minutes) no change. He was on the bench one of the largest slave drivers at this time. He was pushing the gambling players still in use, and was until the last second our biggest “cheerleader”. All the players were still playing better through its use, although he did not have a bet.

That is some powerful stuff!!

66. nathan says:

Spector: #Oilers will present to Justin Schultz. When? “We don’t know yet,” – Tambellini.

If he presses too hard Kevin and MacT make give him a fake address.

67. nathan says:

bookje,

You should see it in the original Klingon.

68. CrazyCoach says:

I like the hiring of Ralph Krueger for a variety of reasons, many of which were listed earlier. (and more added here)

1) His international experience combined with his knowledge of the Canadian system, was/is a powerful syncretism of styles that propelled the Swiss into one of the top eight nations in the hockey world. As one who has gone through the Canadian coaching system, and spent some time in Sweden studying their system, I can say that many other nations, whether they admit it or not, want to emulate our system. Krueger is a new breed that can fit into any system. Highly adaptive.

2) Many have commented that Krueger runs a lot of skill-based drills, which would lead me to believe that he has a very strong technical background achieved through much study and practice. His work on the PP last season shows a very methodical approach to teaching systems. Start with high rep high success individual drills and progress to game-like situation drills that involve individual skill, individual tactic, and team tactics skills. It’s one thing to have Craig Simpson teach a PP system. It’s quite another to have Krueger break down the entire system and analyze it right down to the five basic technical skills. Krueger is a good teacher. Not a Barry Melrose tony-robbins-loving-Billy-Ray-Cyrus-hair-wearing-type, who reads “The Secret” and throws it out to the universe to provide an improved team. Krueger has the know how to build it. No new age hippie magic. Just hard work and sweat.

3) I like the fact that he came to the NHL via Europe. While that opens him up to critics who feel that he hasn’t paid his dues or doesn’t have the skills necessary, I see it as an advantage in todays global NHL. I think he can be successful in helping players transition from international ice to the NHL. It may not seem like much, but that extra space along the boards in Europe seems to be a crutch that some players can’t lose when they come to the NHL. Plus, Krueger can help with the cross-cultural communications. Like Vincent Vega said, “They got the same shit over there as they do here, but it’s just a little bit different!” Can you say Royale with Cheese.

4) Krueger did a rebuild on the Swiss system. He is a patient man. Not patient in that he has no spine, but he knows teams aren’t built in a day, and won’t resort to Tortorellian ways of screaming at players. He will bench those who aren’t pulling their weight (Mr. Jones and Me), but it will all be done with a calm demeanour and more as a teaching/motivating method than as punishment.

My only concern with Krueger is that he may not be able to handle the distress that the MSM and yahoos like us put on him. It’s one thing to have Otto Toblerone from the Zurich Gazette ask you how hockey has become the 14th most popular sport in Swtizerland behind team handball, and quite another to have Minister Terry Jones seek some ecumenical wisdom for what is arguably the official religion of Canada.

Just my thoughts.

The future’s so bright…….

69. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje:

I look forward to him telling Hemsky “That language of body is death morbidity.You player skate hard from the goals that devastate the net and then you will feel the force dynamic”

I think that is just the kind of message Hemsky is likely to respond to.

70. cabbiesmacker says:

Woodguy:
    Bob McKenzie tweet:

EDM is smart to leave Tambellini at home.Not a great speaker.

Biggest FA pitch they have this year and v4.0 isn’t going.

Someone has to empty ashtrays, trim cigars, and restock the scotch cabinets you know. Jeez man.

71. Doug McLachlan says:

bookje: >That is some powerful stuff!!I look forward to him telling Hemsky “That language of body is death morbidity. You player skate hard from the goals that devastate the net and then you will feel the force dynamic”

Choked on my lunch laughing at this bookje, love it.

72. gd says:

Just got back from the camp and I agree with most of what Downright Fierce said.

They broke the D up between the big guys like Gernat, Maracin and Klefbom, and little puck movers like Laleggia and Fedun. The big boys look like a Volleyball team, lot of tall skinny guys.

Klefbom skates beautifully for a 6’3″ guy and never seemed to slip up.

Bigos is HUGE and looked okay moving around, but did seemed more tired than everyone else.

Fedun looked just like last year to me, as in very solid, but he is over 6 yrs older than some guys like Jujhar.

I found it interesting that Yak had to be first in every drill he did, and Klefbom was quite often the last guy in his drills, which sort of fits what we’ve heard about their personalities.

Looking at Yak and Zharkov interact, makes me more convinced that we need to get a vet Russian to at least be someone for Yak to talk to . Tyutin has always been my favourite, but Kulemin would be worth a slight overpay for that reason.

Two guys I wanted to watch for that I forgot were Moroz and Musil.

73. Jesse says:

Terry Jones said on the Team 1260 this morning that Klefbom might be NHL ready. I can’t remember if he said that’s what some scouts told him or if that was his personal opinion, but judging where Klefbom was on the Farjestad (sp?) depth chart last year that seems like a bit of hyperbole to me.

74. nathan says:

“we need to get a vet Russian to at least be someone for Yak to talk to”

Isn’t that Nikolai’s primary job this year? Surely he’s not making more than 25 starts.

75. Doug McLachlan says:

Regarding who to pitch to Justin Schultz and Newport, Lowe and MacT are higher up the managment tree than Tambo so it makes some sense that if you are keeping it tight you send to two at the top. That we all agree they are better communicators who can flash the Stanley Cup rings (plural) that Gillis can’t isn’t a bad tact.

Really, what is the pitch. Edmonton, come for the weather?!

We are not the chance to win soon with his childhood team (Vancouver); we are not able to offer up his school chums like Toronto or New York. What does the 29th team in the league have to offer.

The appeal (beyond the chance for stats and UFA $ down the road), the emotional appeal upon which many decisions are made is Boys on the Bus 2. So whay not sit down with the Boys on the Bus v.1 Let Lowe tell you what it was like to be there, at the beginning with all the fresh kids set to shatter the world. Would I like Kruger there, yes, but I can understand if he isn’t (we can’t promise Schultz minutes without seeing him on the ice anyway) however more than Kruger we should have Hall, Ebs and Nuge there. The pitch comes down to whether he wants to be part of the choir in Vancover and Toronto or a central part of a new Oilers legend with the kids. If it is the later, we have an excellent chance.

76. Cactus says:

CrazyCoach,

Good insight into how Krueger might be teaching these players. The more I learn about him, the more he seems to be the best choice for this team right now.

Oh, and great job with the Cult of Hockey article Crazy Coach!

77. Cactus says:

bookje:
    As per Tambellini – I don’t think he is commander in chief all around like a Sather or Burke, but I do think he has a strong voice in the room.I think it truly is a management team in which multiple voices have a say.There is only one place that the ‘buck stops’ and that is Katz.

This is exactly it. Tambellini isn’t some puppet because Lowe and MacT are pitching to Schultz. All they’re doing is playing to their strengths. Tambellini’s perceived strengths probably lie in organizational management, hockey relationships and judgment (yes I know, bring on the laughs). The Oilers running this as a management team as opposed to a Burkian cult is not a disadvantage.

Besides, this way, the meeting can go something like this:

Lowe: “Hey Schultz, that guy Gillis is going to come in here and say a whole bunch of stuff. Don’t believe a word of it. We’re going to let you in on a little secret of the NHL. The only people who know what’s going on are the guys who have these fancy decoder rings. We know so much, we have 12. Ask Gillis if he’s found 1.”

78. Jordan says:

nathan,

Sure makes Jagr more appealing, what with his years of experience in the KHL…#atesmythsbreakfast

79. Cactus says:

One last thing, just for LT (if you haven’t already gotten it off Twitter):

Down Goes Brown @DownGoesBrown
    Anyone else find it odd that Fehr says his #1 priority is that the upcoming work stoppage causes the Montreal franchise to no longer exist?

80. Downright Fierce says:

gd,

MOST?! *tableflip* (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

81. Bar_Qu says:

OT, but does anyone know a backchannel to watch Spain Portugal today?

82. gd says:

Downright Fierce,

Sorry, I meant to say I agree with everything you said and if I was starting an NHL franchise, you would be my first choice for Head Scout.

83. Cactus says:

Looks like Wideman’s off the market. Sign and trade with Calgary. 5 year deal.

Gotta think J-Bo is gone after that.

Edit: $5.25M per year for Wideman. Seems a bit rich.

84. striatic says:

Cactus,

do the oilers want J-Bo?

85. Captain Obvious says:

Unless the salary cap goes up a lot (and I mean a lot) that is a massive overpayment. Wideman is a pretty average defenseman. He certainly isn’t in the top 75 of NHL D.

86. gd says:

Cactus,

Holy cow that’s a bad signing. At least his contract will be done when Jankowski is ready for his NHL debut. Wideman was -7 in the playoffs and Wash only gave up 30 goals. Go to Washington blogs to see what they think of him. This will be the Flames Sourey contract on the way to their Oiler rebuild.

87. justDOit says:

$26M for Wideman? Maybe the Mayans are right?

88. Bar_Qu says:

JBo >>> Wideman

6.8/yr<<<5.25/yr

I agree that JBo is gone. He would be a great fit on the Oilers, but that contract is a killer.

OTOH, it is only 2 more years in length, and a team would get the Flames to take something back to even it out.

Say, a 2nd/prospect+NK for JBo? Dare to dream?

89. Cactus says:

striatic:
    Cactus,

do the oilers want J-Bo?

The buzz I’ve read is that St. Louis might want him. Plus, he’s been rumoured to be on the trade block. However, like most of the Flames roster, he’s got a No Trade Clause.

90. Cactus says:

justDOit:
    $26M for Wideman? Maybe the Mayans are right?

Just imagine what a guy like Garrison is going to cost now.

91. bookje says:

Cactus:
    Looks like Wideman’s off the market.Sign and trade with Calgary.5 year deal.

Gotta think J-Bo is gone after that.

Edit: $5.25M per year for Wideman.Seems a bit rich.

I think Feaster has a plan to destroy Calgary for a decade (building on Sutters plan really), I would bet it has a NMC as well, just to totally screw them.

92. striatic says:

“he’s got a No Trade Clause.”

his family is from edmonton, and he was born here .. so presumably he’d waive to play here. right?

nathan:
    bookje,

You should see it in the original Klingon.

Just like Shakespeare.

94. Romulus Apotheosis says:

How long until I can expect the unveiling of new hire and future pillar of the rear-guard Cory Cross?

95. art vandelay says:

The best signing of the Oilers summer is already Wideman going to Calgary on a big ticket.
    He can be pounded in his own corners. Once he loses his nerve he starts blindly rifling it around the boards.
    No way he lasts two years in Calgary.

96. justDOit says:

art vandelay:
    No way he lasts two years in Calgary.

Welcome to the western conference, Dennis!

97. vishcosity says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Seems to be official:

Nice to see a non internet rumour on the subject finally, thanks rom. I was hoping for Ralph over Sutter, not that I’ve ever met either but BS seems like a sour puss comparatively. And if they took a chance on an unproven Cooper i would have been pretty shocked. After the whole ordeal with Murray and Yak, I figured I would wait to say anything until I heard from the horse’s mouth himself.

Off to the ice palace. I feel like a spy. Wish the NHL did spring training in Tuscon.

98. bluenotenorth says:

striatic,

striatic:
    “he’s got a No Trade Clause.”

He did not sign here last time because of the pressure of playing in front of the home town. What’s changed.

99. Dipstick says:

Cactus: That said, Calgary can afford everyone and be well under the cap, so they won’t need to make a move for cap reasons.

According to capgeek they only have 18 players under contract and have 13.4 million left to allocate. They will need to move J-Bo and sign a bunch of slugs to small contracts. I wouldn’t want to be cheering for that team anytime soon.

100. bluenotenorth says:

striatic,

striatic:
    “he’s got a No Trade Clause.”

He did not sign here last time because of the pressure of playing in front of the home town. What’s changed?

101. tubes says:

Great comments section as of late. I’m glad everyone got over themselves for the Moroz pick, even though we’re all professional scouts and what not. Keep up the good work gents.

102. Cactus says:

Dipstick: According to capgeek they only have 18 players under contract and have 13.4 million left to allocate.They will need to move J-Bo and sign a bunch of slugs to small contracts.I wouldn’t want to be cheering for that team anytime soon.

Could you elaborate a bit, Dipstick? I don’t see how the Flames HAVE to move Bouwmeester given that they’re $13.M under the cap. With 18 players signed that means they need 4-5 more. If it’s 5, then that’s about $2.68M per player. That’s enough flexibility. If Bouwmeester is moved it’s probably because:

-He wants out of Calgary
    -Calgary wants to clear up even more cap space to go after more help at forward
    -Calgary doesn’t want to be a cap team or at least doesn’t feel the money they’re spending on J-Bo will help them win

103. Dipstick says:

Cactus,

I may be mistaken, but I thought that I read that they were planning to be substantially under the cap this year. Could have been a bunch of misdirection from their management. Wouldn’t be the first time. We will find out eventually.

104. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Cactus,

Dipstick,

Calgary is apparently in the Schultz sweepstakes too… maybe they hope to get him on his cheap ELC and dump Bo from there…

105. matmik says:

Cactus,

they still need to resign jokinen (he’ll probably sign around 4 per) so that leaves around 8m for the rest of the team – not much you can do with that (and it sounds like they won’t be at the cap)

Basically it ensures they’ll have the same team has the past 4-5 years -

106. Cactus says:

Dipstick,

I hadn’t heard anything reliable to the effect that Calgary was looking to sit well under the cap, but obviously, that would motivate them to move Bouwmeester. As I said before, it sounds like they will move him, but if they do, it won’t be because they can’t squeeze it under the cap.

107. Traktor says:

Feaster is terrible.

I love it.

108. DSF says:

Adding 5 players and 13.4 million is actually not a bad place to be.

They have an above average goaltender, 6 or 7 actual NHL defensmen and a decent, if not world beating forward group.

They need to upgrade at forward but that’s generally the easiet thing to do.

If Jaybo gets moved, Feaster would have the cap space to go nuts.

I’d expect Jaybo might be moved for a couple of forwards.

109. Cactus says:

DSF,

Feaster’s trade options are entirely dependent on how many teams Bouwmeester is willing to go to. If he sticks them with a list of 2-3, this could be a straight up salary dump.

110. PDO says:

DSF: Adding 5 players and 13.4 million is actually not a bad place to be.

They need to upgrade at forward but that’s generally the easiet thing to do.

If Jaybo gets moved, Feaster would have the cap space to go nuts.

I’d expect Jaybo might be moved for a couple of forwards.

6 or 7 NHL D?

Under contract:

Jay Bouwmeester
    Mark Giordano
    Dennis Wideman
    Anton Babchuk
    Chris Butler
    Derek Smith
    TJ Brodie

I can only imagine what you would describe that as if it were the Oilers.

111. Marc says:

DSF: Adding 5 players and 13.4 million is actually not a bad place to be.

Jokinen (#1C)
    Backlund (#2C)
    Jones (#4C)
    Stempniak (#2RW)
    Moss (#3RW)

That’s a lot to replace for $12M

112. Jordan says:

I’d expect Jaybo might be moved for a couple of forwards.

DSF,

With a signing like that though, you’d have to think that he has no idea what a plyaer is actually worth though.

With that little understanding, I’d be pitching Horcoff, Omark +.

Much rather have J-Bo than the old man.

113. DeadmanWaking says:

Memo to Mr Yakupov: the other beautiful play in hockey is a super-human third effort to clear the puck at the point after two of your teammates have lost their sticks. He’s only halfway figured out where he landed.

114. stevezie says:

A lot has been made of Kruger’s V for Vendetta-esque ability to bring a knife to a gunfight and win, but doesn’t this team need someoen who knows how wield the biggest gun at the gunfight?

I don’t know that Kruger isn’t that guy, in fact the youth seem to love him, but I think that the days of needing Mac-T to maximize a flawed roster are over.

We need Frank Castle.

115. commonfan14 says:

Apparently the plan is for Hall to be part of the Schultz pitch as well.

I would feel better if they also hired Pat Riley to come.

116. stevezie says:

On another note, I suspect with the emergence of Giordano the Flames might like to trade J-Bo if the right offer comes along, but I don’t see how they need to, unless their ownership abandons their normal “hands-off” approach and makes a financial decision.

On a third note, I’ve been reduced to lurking for the past few weeks and I didn’t see anyone wondering if I was dead. I can only assume Bendlesson is somehow behind this.

117. FPB94 says:

So when did Wideman become good enough defensively to be paid that money?

James Wisniewski 2.0.

118. justDOit says:

FPB94:
    So when did Wideman become good enough defensively to be paid that money?

James Wisniewski 2.0.

He had that one year in 08/09 where he was +32 on the season with Boston (Charra’s partner maybe?). If he had been a minus player that year as well, he would easily be a -50 career.

119. FPB94 says:

justDOit,

Yeah. But everyone with Chara is +30 lol. (He also had his best season that year)

Seems pretty costy for a guy who depends on playing with a stalwart next to him.

120. Captain Obvious says:

Wideman is a completely middle of the road defenseman. This is a massive overpayment, especially in terms of term. But general managers don’t care about term. Or rather, general managers of bad teams don’t care about term even though it perpetuates their badness.

You could say that there is no such thing as a bad short term contract. The amount matters so much less than it is for so many years. Bouwmeester’s contract is so much better for that reason. Not only is he a better player but there is so much less risk.

121. gogliano says:

stevezie:

We need Frank Castle.

Bring back Slats for Coach.

122. DSF says:

PDO: 6 or 7 NHL D?

Under contract:

Jay Bouwmeester
    Mark Giordano
    Dennis Wideman
    Anton Babchuk
    Chris Butler
    Derek Smith
    TJ Brodie

I can only imagine what you would describe that as if it were the Oilers.

Much better.

123. DSF says:

Jordan:
    I’d expect Jaybo might be moved for a couple of forwards.

DSF,

With that little understanding, I’d be pitching Horcoff, Omark +.

Much rather have J-Bo than the old man.

Pretty tough for Oilers fans to berate Feaster for not knowing what players are worth.

Horcoff
    Hemsky
    Khabibulin
    Sutton

The defense rests.

124. DSF says:

Marc: That $13.4M doesn’t include Baertschi, who will certainly be on the team next season, so it’s actually $12M left. And it doesn’t include the following unsigned UFAs/RFAs, who will need to be resigned or replaced:
    Jokinen (#1C)
    Backlund (#2C)
    Jones (#4C)
    Stempniak (#2RW)
    Moss (#3RW)

That’s a lot to replace for $12M

Baertschi’s cap hit is only $1.4M.

Jokinen won’t be re-signed…they brought in Cervenka to replace him @ $3.8M.

Backlund, Jones, Stempniak and Moss, if retained, won’t cost more than $5-6M.

Easy peasy.

125. DSF says:

Cactus:
    DSF,

Feaster’s trade options are entirely dependent on how many teams Bouwmeester is willing to go to.If he sticks them with a list of 2-3, this could be a straight up salary dump.

We’ll see.

A 30 minute iron man defenseman I would think has a lot of perceived value.

He’d be the Oilers #1 right out of the box and would be top pairing in most places.

126. Captain Obvious says:

DSF, you are officially a delusional troll. It’s one thing to talk about Vancouver as the paragon of all organizations. Gillis does a pretty good job. However, Calgary is an absolute catastrophe of an organization. They make the Oilers look like geniuses.

You make yourself look ridiculous when you talk about Wideman as a good signing and then turn around and talk about the Hemsky signing as a bad thing. The Hemsky contract is the best contract signed in the last six months. Two years, no risk, it’s genius. The fact that you are unwiling to recognize this is evidence of a deep, pathological, character flaw.

127. Cactus says:

DSF: We’ll see.

A 30 minute iron man defenseman I would think has a lot of perceived value.

I think you missed my point (or didn’t address it). J-Bo would absolutely be top pairing for the Oilers, that’s not in dispute. But if he won’t waive his NTC to come here, that’s one team off the list. Depending on where he’s willing to go, his value could plummet.

128. DSF says:

Cactus: I think you missed my point (or didn’t address it).J-Bo would absolutely be top pairing for the Oilers, that’s not in dispute.But if he won’t waive his NTC to come here, that’s one team off the list.Depending on where he’s willing to go, his value could plummet.

If that’s the case, Calgary won’t move him.

Defensemen are always a premium item…especially first pairing defensemen who can play 30 minutes night and are NEVER injured.

129. DSF says:

Captain Obvious:
    DSF, you are officially a delusional troll.It’s one thing to talk about Vancouver as the paragon of all organizations.Gillis does a pretty good job.However, Calgary is an absolute catastrophe of an organization. They make the Oilers look like geniuses.

You make yourself look ridiculous when you talk about Wideman as a good signing and then turn around and talk about the Hemsky signing as a bad thing.The Hemsky contract is the best contract signed in the last six months.Two years, no risk, it’s genius.The fact that you are unwiling to recognize this is evidence of a deep, pathological, character flaw.

Now, where did I say the Wideman signing was a good one?

I didn’t… but it’s certainly no worse and probably better than the Hemsky contract which is seen as a joke around the league.

In the past 5 seasons, Hemsky has averaged 53 points.

He doesn’t kill penalties and his career goal average is less than 14 per season.

That is not a $5M player in anyone’s mind except those who keep pining for him to be a PPG player.

Has never, and will never, happen.

130. FPB94 says:

DSF,

What kind of crack are you smoking? I’ve never seen anyone talk about Hemsky’s contract as bad.

He had a down year. That happens. If he touches his usual PPG – 10 he’s going to be worth top money.

131. bendelson says:

stevezie,

Ha STEVZIE! Am I supposed to be offended you spell my name wrong (and differently) in each post referencing my supposed diabolical motivations… Or are you just not interested in accuracy or taking the time to get things correct?

Welcome back buddy!!

132. Romulus Apotheosis says:

FPB94,

he’s channelling the Modano-Line of dickishness, except he’s at least paying attention to what he is dismissing.

133. DSF says:

FPB94:
    DSF,

He’s had 4 bad years in a row. And he will likely never see first unit PP again. Hemsky scored 27 points 5V5 Last season and was -13.

2011/12

Hemsky: 10G 26A 36P
    Wideman: 11G 35A 46P

One of these players is a defenseman.

There are only three forwards in the NHL who have a cap hit of $5M and up who have never scored 25 goals.

Two of them play for the Oilers and they’re eating $10.5 million in cap space.

Kevin Lowe is a genius.

134. asiaoil says:

People do realize that a good 60% of every thread here is now DSF nonsense or responses to DSF nonsense. LT you’ve got a nice little franchise here – why put up with someone destroying your work in this way?

135. leadfarmer says:

Except you are paying over 5 mil for a good number 4 d men. If the oilers signed him to that contract your head would explode with joy at all the trolling you could do.

136. leadfarmer says:

We just had a Jay bouwmeester but we traded him to the Wild. He was a lot cheaper too.

137. Captain Obvious says:

Wisniewski is actually a really good comp for Wideman. Average to slightly below average players at even strength who gain most of their value on the powerplay.

Another comparable is Liles, or Sami Salo. All of these guys are overpaid but none as much as Wideman, or for as long.

Feaster is terrible.

138. Gret99zky says:

Awesome that some regular posters have adopted a second team after the Canucks.

Can’t wait to read the “Trolling News” here every day.

Thank you Calgary for taking a big fish off the market and signing him for too long with a NMC.

Can’t wait to see BobbyLou’s wife handcuff Tallon and put the strap on to him.

The future of the Oilers is much brighter than the future of the Canucks or Flames.

139. Gret99zky says:

leadfarmer:
    We just had a Jay bouwmeester but we traded him to the Wild.He was a lot cheaper too.

Flames fans lay awake at night dreaming Jay Bouwmeester is sent to the Wild. At any cost.

140. gcw_rocks says:

What about this past week’s draft wouold ever give you improved confidence that “Edmonton will make better bets on players.”?

Its not like MacT is just coming aboard. He was around for the draft and had plenty of time to get engaged in that process given his expereince.