JULY 1 AFTERNOON UPDATE

So far today the Edmonton Oilers have addressed several issues with more work to be done.

I’ve moved the issues unresolved to the top, although some of the important items have been addressed. We shouldn’t expect the rfa (#3) issue to be addressed during this period so we’re left with positive (added Smyth, Justin Schultz, Darcy Hordichuk, Yann Danis) and the neutral (have not added a top 4D or the Pisani) so far today.

A possible depth chart

• Nuge-Hall-Eberle
  • Gagner-Hartikainen-Hemsky
  • Horcoff-Smyth-Yakupov
  • Belanger-Eager-Jones
  • Paajarvi, Petrell, Hordichuk
  • Smid-Petry
  • N. Scultz-J. Schultz
  • Whitney-Potter
  • Peckham-Sutton
  • Dubnyk-Khabibulin-Danis
  1. A top pairing defenseman capable of delivering big minutes at evens and at least one of PK and PP. 20+ overall. Methot moved to Ottawa so Edmonton is clear there. Still out there and available are men like Streit and Allen.
  2. An established 2-way winger to mentor the young players who will compete for bottom 6 roles (Lander, Hartikainen, Pitlick, etc). Winnik is my choice here, but the Oilers may have someone else in mind. I always say Pisani but maybe this man is a center.
  3. Get the rfa’s signed. Did a good job qualifying, but the Oilers often trade kids in this situation and Gagner isn’t out of the woods yet. Happy Omark was qualified, doubt he plays as an Oiler again.
  4. A better Renney. I think yesterday was a very big day for Krueger. Based on reports, the key moments in the Schultz negotiations came when the new coach gave his vision and Schultz plus Hall started riffing on the possibilities. I imagine an Allman Brothers-style jam session that resulted in absolute magic. Can’t wait to see the vision on the ice.
  5. Justin Schultz or similar. Huge item for the Oilers. Should he emerge as a top 4, 35+ point defenseman who can handle reasonable opposition and remain in the black, Edmonton’s hard work this past week will sustain them for a decade on the blue. Brilliant.
  6. Ryan Smyth or similar. The extra year was the issue but the price tag is excellent. I think those who believe Smyth’s value to this team is low badly misunderstand what he can do for this team. They need to back off his special team minutes but this is a quality signing. Beauty
  7. A reasonable goaltending option for the Khabibulin free fall. Danis is a solid option, his .924SP with the Barons a year ago was safely inside the AHL’s top 10 and he gives the club excellent insurance. A solid signing.
  8. Crust. Hordichuk is perfectly suitable in this role, as I put forward in the RE series. I expect the Oilers will attempt to grab Tootoo this afternoon, so part of the crust remains uncrossed.

That’s the current state of affairs. I am:

• over the moon on the Justin Schultz signing
  • pleased with the Smyth deal
  • happy with the Danis signing
  • fine with the Hordichuk re-signing

More work for the Oilers, but the overall feel of free agent weekend is positive. The defender and the Pisani will tell us a lot about the 12-13 Oilers. I imagine the club’s trades will come in addressing the final two areas, and we might see another free agent addition sometime in the next few days (Tootoo).

I don’t think we’ll see much more today from the Oilers.

128 Responses to "JULY 1 AFTERNOON UPDATE"

1. fuzzy muppet says:

Bryan Allwn gone. Defense still looks real thin….

2. fuzzy muppet says:

BTW. Picked a real bad weekend to drop my phone in the lake. I’m just finding out about Schultz now!!!

3. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I say take a run at Doan! Why the hell not?

I am going to say that Bouwmeester fits what the Oilers need and he’s available, heavy minutes last year as well.

Tambellini is on record as saying they still require a top defenseman.

Maybe they wait till next year and take a run at Weber?

4. Archie says:

Not sure about the Hordichuk signing, but maybe under a new coach things will change. I’m glad the Oilers have not joined the looney toon club today, some of theses signings are ridiculous. From the looks of things the Oilers will stand pat with their D and build within, which is fine by me. The lack of a big C and top 6 power forward is still troubling and from the looks of things the Oilers could be in some trouble with these bigger teams. Not much out there to pick from and the Oilers are going to have to make some trades to get what they need.

LT I notice you had Yakupov paired up with Horcoff and Smyth, don’t you think that would be a little crazy. If he gets to know Harcoff he might want to leave town.

5. Dipstick says:

That’s the current state of affairs. I am:
    over the moon on the Justin Schultz signing
    pleased with the Smyth deal
    happy with the Danis signing
    fine with the Hordichuk re-signing

So as time is passing you are becoming disillusioned with the transactions?

6. Archie says:

Not sure if this is true but it sounds like the Blues have agreed to a one year deal with Taylor Chorney. Wish him the best.

7. Noodles says:

Posted this in the last thread before realizing there was a new one:

Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick

In speaking with Hordichuk (& Tambellini confirmed it), No. 16 will be probably be deployed differently and more often under Ralph Krueger.

8. DBO says:

tootoo 3 yrs $1.9 mill per to detroit

9. Ducey says:

DBO:
    tootoo 3 yrs $1.9 mill per to detroit

But, but, but… Detroit doesn’t need toughness!

Dipstick:
    That’s the current state of affairs. I am:
    over the moon on the Justin Schultz signing
    pleased with the Smyth deal
    happy with the Danis signing
    fine with the Hordichuk re-signing

So as time is passing you are becoming disillusioned with the transactions?

There’s not much that is sexy about the Hordichuk signing. I think it’s difficult to argue that the Oilers made a good move in that they didn’t spend much and they didn’t go more than one year, but that’s what I believe. And I don’t buy a bit of this balderdash about Krueger deploying Hordichuk more often than Renney.

45 games, 4 minutes a night. That’s my guess.

11. justDOit says:

so you’re saying his playing time will double this year then?

*smirk*

12. Wolfie says:

The Oilers seem to be in a weird position. Their roster is pretty much filled out. I think it was pretty obvious they didn’t really want to get involved in Parise or Suter. Neither player likely wanted to be here anyway.

They could still use another top 4 d-man and maybe one more top 9 winger to at least compete with either Hartikainen or MPS for the spot.

The really curious thing is that this 29th place team has had virtually no turnover. Yakupov and Schultz should help and hopefully the kids continue to improve.

I assume the usual suspects will be shopped, MPS, Hemsky, Jones… If things don’t change too much from now to opening night how much of an improvement can realistically be expected?

13. Maverick says:

Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
    I asked specifically about Eric Belanger…Tambellini said Krueger is pretty optimistic that he can right that ship. Interesting.

Oh – oh.

justDOit:

so you’re saying his playing time will double this year then?

*smirk*

No, that’s what it was last season.

15. skidplate says:

Call me optimistic, but I believe Belanger will bounce back next year. And maybe Eager’s concussion was worse than we were told. That might be a stretch, but maybe he will play the protector role better next year. Here’s hopin’

16. Rondo says:

Is Daniel Winnik still an option?

17. DBO says:

Remember that when you have a young core, one year is a huge jump in playing maturity and can be a difference maker. Petry and Smid will be better. Shultz is an upgrade. Dubnyk has improved every year. Add in Yakupov, along with the growth of Nuge, eberle and Hall and we have moved forward for sure. Not to mention MPS and HArsky adding another year as well.

LT talks about at bats at the major league level all the time, and on this team it matters. Keeping Hemsky around protects the kids a bit, along with Horc and Smyth. But the progression of the kids means we don’t need to hit home runs in our UFA pickups, just need to add some protection for the kids. I think Krueger will make an impact if only from an accountability standpoint.

And yeah Eager is gone if there are takers, although I still liked him as a 4th liner. Just not on ice at same time as Hordichuk.

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky (PVP)
    Yakupov-Nuge-Eberle (sheltered)
    Smyth-Horc-MPS (toughs)
    Eager-Belanger-Jones (grinder)

Be nice if Yakupov could switch wings.

18. sliderule says:

I don’t think Krueger will take any horseshit from Belanger.

When that man speaks to you he looks right into your soul.

19. skidplate says:

Yes Winnik is still available.

20. Romulus Apotheosis says:

The big win today so far seems to be locking down key to extremely minor assets without doing anything stupid.

It will be very interesting to see… if we can move expectations up the road a bit from “don’t screw up” to “making progress.” There are definitely signs we may be moving in that direction.

I was very skeptical Schultz, Smyth and Danis would happen… and yet there they are!!

21. Ryan says:

Maverick,

I don’t understand some of you guys.

Erik Belanger had a terrible season in terms of offense last year. He’s old and not a solid bet to be a #2c. That being said, even last year he did some things well like PK and Faceoffs.

Pop quiz. Who played 18 SC games last season as a 4C for the LA Lings?

If the Kings can win the stanley with Fraser as a 4C, Belanger as our 4C is not the problem IMO.

They picked up my #1 and #4 free agents and almost all of the rest remain. Plenty of time.

23. Cactus says:

Ducey: But, but, but… Detroit doesn’t need toughness!

Where’s the freakouts about Detroit’s management filled with idiots for overpaying a goon? Maybe we need to import some angry Detroit fans to give some perspective to some of the folks here.

24. Romulus Apotheosis says:

skidplate:
    Yes Winnik is still available.

I can’t recall seeing him play. What’s the full breakdown?

25. JorgeR04 says:

Is Matt Carle a hope at all in your eyes? I don’t buy the trade for a top D line T is selling but I can’t imagine what overpay the remaining D free agents might require.

26. Archie says:

Cactus,

You have to watch out for those angry Detroit fans and their eight arms.

27. justDOit says:

Ryan,

props button to that.

JorgeR04:

Is Matt Carle a hope at all in your eyes?I don’t buy the trade for a top D line T is selling but I can’t imagine what overpay the remaining D free agents might require.

They need a 2-for-1.

Romulus Apotheosis: Ok… what’s the break down on this guy again… he’s big 6’2″ 210, LW; seems to max out at around 25 points and 40-60 PIM;

I can’t recall seeing him play. What’s the full breakdown?

30. jonrmcleod says:

fuzzy muppet,

Is there ever a good weekend to do that?

31. Archie says:

Lowetide: Fine 2-way winger can play all three positions, face tough zone starts and solid opposition while keeping his head above water. The Pisani.

What I understand he’s inconsistent. I would have no problem with him, but it would mean Ryan Jones would have to go. Both are very similar players, personally I would take Daniel Winnik because he’s a RHS.

32. jp says:

skidplate:

Agreed that Belanger can rebound. I think Eager has to go though. I don’t see how you can excuse his lack of action/protection on a TC concussion. He didn’t play the role he was brought in to do, simple as that.

Ryan:
    Maverick,

I don’t understand some of you guys.

Erik Belanger had a terrible season in terms of offense last year.He’s old and not a solid bet to be a #2c.That being said, even last year he did some things well like PK and Faceoffs.

Pop quiz.Who played 18 SC games last season as a 4C for the LA Lings?

True enough – Belanger is actually a pretty good 4C. He was an utter failure as 3C when asked, and overall a disappointment. But if Ralph can convince him be happy with the 4C/PK/insurance role then he’s quite a good option (more than a little better than VDV).

33. Dipstick says:

Lowetide: Not only do I buy it, the Oilers have to deal imo in order to offload contracts. They’re done really, need to send out contracts in order to bring in new ones. If the season started today, they’d have to send out people like Paajarvi, Hartikainen, Lander, Peckham, Potter just to make room.

They need a 2-for-1.

They are by my count also going to be at 48 contracts after the RFAs and Yak sign. I doubt that they will want to start the season with more than that, so they will have to do some off loading.

34. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Archie,

Going by LTs write up it looks like you’d sacrifice some offence (well… goals more than points) in exchange for a more reliable two-way/defensive player re: Jones/Winnik

what about other questions: who would be a better “mentor”? “crasher/banger/hitter”? “strong on the puck”?

35. skidplate says:

JP, I do not disagree with your comments. All I am saying is head injuries carry alot of unknowns. Maybe, Eager was unable or unwilling to put his head in a situation that he knows will damage it more, ie fight. I am just trying to stay positive. I to think that management will try to trade him, but if unsuccessful, then we are stuck with him for a couple more years.

36. uni says:

Sami Salo to Tampa, 2 years at 3.75 per. With all those defencemen gone, wonder what Gillis is up to besides Garrison.

37. justDOit says:

Lowetide: No, that’s what it was last season.

@LT I thought Hord’s av toi was below 3 – my bad.

Trying to look on the bright side, Hords is a much better player than Stortini and I do remember a couple of moments last season where I thought that maybe he could play more (but that was brief). Between managing 2 more rookies this year and making the team buy into the systems, Ralph has his work cut out for him if he also has to right the Belanger ship and manage an enforcer more effectively.

But Krueger took the 29th place team’s PP all the way to the top last year, and he also brought it’s PK performance up by half the league in standings. That’s quite an achievement, so here’s hoping he can repeat a similar performance this year.

It only goes to reason that if the team (as a team) can play better, there’s less risk in having a Hordichuck on the ice, meaning more ice time and increased role. I’m not sure just how quickly Krueger can turn things around defensively, having Schultz in the lineup, but as soon as he does, it’ll show in every player’s performance. That way, you’re not relying on Belanger to help the team, you’re putting him in a supported role to succeed.

We will surely have to adorn Ralph with a special moniker if he can do for the Oilers what he did for the Swiss national teams. Might even have to strip the Magnificent Bastard from Stu and give it to Ralph?

38. Cactus says:

RE: Eager, Hordichuk, Belanger

We might want to wait and see what Krueger has in store for these guys before we write them off completely. If we assume that Renney wasn’t purely a sacrificial lamb (i.e. he earned his non-renewal) and that Krueger represents at least somewhat of an upgrade, then he may have better ways to deploy these players and possibly better ways to teach them about their roles.

I’m more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. After all, he helped get us J. Schultz and that’s worth some good will.

39. JorgeR04 says:

I’ve just looked through each team’s D line up and there isn’t many players that we would consider a clear upgrade that teams would logically want to give up. Once Schenn was traded I think we aren’t getting any out of Toronto. Do you have a dream trade you’ve been thinking about? What about Matt Greene out of LA? Best interview in the NHL.

40. justDOit says:

skidplate,

True. Let’s hope that Tulupov (sp?) has received the memo: lay off your team mates! Although it might me nice to see Eager rock him into next Tuesday in camp this fall – sort of a ‘I’m back’ moment and settling the camp score.

41. prairieschooner says:

Would this guy fit the winger role?

PA Parenteau ?
    He had an OK season with the Isles last year

42. justDOit says:

prairieschooner,

already signed with Col

43. prairieschooner says:

He just signed with the Avs

44. skidplate says:

prairieschooner,

Try to keep up would ya ;)

45. justDOit says:

Bobby Ryan might be interesting. With the Ducks’ recent purging of the defence, maybe Peckham, Teubert and a pick could get him? Or maybe Klefbom? Wouldn’t want to give up da Bom yet though, but Ryan would be quite a pickup.

46. justDOit says:

skidplate,

he’s from the prairies, and he’s been drinking schooners all afternoon, he’s actually doing quite good.

47. skidplate says:

justDOit,

So he would definately take more than Peckham, Teubert and a pick unless you are talking about at least 1 1st round pick.

48. justDOit says:

skidplate,

the first next year would be an interesting offer. could be a lotto pick, and might carry a lot of value.

49. Doug McLachlan says:

LT, I am ok with the 2 for 1 or even 3 for 1 type deals but if we are seeking quality (be it for defence or elsewhere) we need to fill the holes.

As noted elsewhere, we have only “added” Schultz and Yakupov.

The other pieces: Harski, MPS and Lander are not pieces that improve us (though they have value and will get better) so when we deal we need to look at making sure the total package is an improvement.

I love Yandle but the Gagner aspect hurts our center – big. Is Jokinen the solution? Convert Hall?

Again, I ask about Marleau. Has SJ done anything? Surely they are at the point of making se changes beyond the cosmetic.

50. stevezie says:

I love Tootoo but I can’t believe the money and term it looks like he’s getting in Detroit. Three years, $5.7 million? Four years and ten million for Prust? I’m not a fan of the Hordichuk signing but all it really costs us is a roster spot. Today’s crust signings are dangerous.

I am not an Eager fan, but I’m glad we didn’t replace him with either of those contracts.

JorgeR04:

I’ve just looked through each team’s D line up and there isn’t many players that we would consider a clear upgrade that teams would logically want to give up.Once Schenn was traded I think we aren’t getting any out of Toronto.Do you have a dream trade you’ve been thinking about?What about Matt Greene out of LA?Best interview in the NHL.

I think we’ll be surprised about who shakes loose here once all the shopping is done. There’s an insane number of defensemen yet to sign. Once that happens, teams will want to move people. Hjalmarsson is an example but there are others.

52. Rondo says:

Van got Garrison

Doug McLachlan:

As noted elsewhere, we have only “added” Schultz and Yakupov.

I love Yandle but the Gagner aspect hurts our center – big.Is Jokinen the solution?Convert Hall?

Again, I ask about Marleau. Has SJ done anything?Surely they are at the point of making se changes beyond the cosmetic.

54. jp says:

skidplate:

I’m all for staying positive (as with Belanger), but I agree with the assessment voiced here in the past that management definitely noticed his lack of action in protecting the kids and it likely means he’s on the way out (which I agree with). We shouldn’t expect a big return (mid to late draft pick), but I don’t think there will be any problem getting rid of him and his contract.

What did Eager provide to the Oilers last year in terms of protection/physical play that even the softie Paajarvi couldn’t have provided at 4LW? Shockingly little unfortunately. It’s certainly possible that lingering effects of the concussion did contribute, but I think that’s unlikely. Even if his concussion was preventing him from fighting 5-6 months later that raises some pretty significant concern longer term. If we don’t pick up a physical, defensively solid vet, I’d prefer to see Harti/Paajarvi playing LW4 in 12-13 over Eager.

55. art vandelay says:

The Pisani: Overpay a guy by several mllions and several years based on roughly 8 weeks of slightly above mediocre work as a Bottom 6 player. The very definition of the Oilers’ M.O for the past 20 seasons.

56. Professor Q says:

Oh golly, Souray to the Ducks. A slight to Edmonton’s slight of Anaheim’s slight?

57. "Steve Smith" says:

art vandelay,

Hi Art!

58. Lucinius says:

I’m a bit surprised to see Garrison getting only 27.6 million over 6 years. I expected a larger dollar amount than that.

59. Archie says:

That was a helluva signing by Gillis. The guy is having another nice summer, and I’m taking a great deal of pleasure in watching him make Burke flop around like a fish in a boat over Luongo. I’m no Vancouver Canuck fan God knows but this is some fine work.

61. Cactus says:

According to Bob McKenzie, he left Wideman money on the table to play with Vancouver. It helps when you’ve got that in your corner.

62. "Steve Smith" says:

Archie: Hordi cannot play on all thelines…

If only…

63. Rondo says:

According to Dobber

“Whoever signs Jason Garrison will regret it within 18 months. The situation reminds me of Ron Hainsey. Inflated evaluation of his offensive ability will cause him to be tremendously overpaid – and then two years from now, (insert team here) fans will be defending his contract because he “eats minutes” and is “strong defensively”. Just remember, (insert team here) fans – the contract he signs today will be due to his 16 goals, and not because he “eats minutes” and is “strong defensively”. I’m sure you’ll forget I ever warned you, though.

I just read a blog that recommended their team sign Mike Knuble. I love bloggers and I love blogs, but this is a perfect example of why their thoughts should not be taken as gospel.”

64. justDOit says:

This just in: Torres wins the golden boot.

Rondo:

According to Dobber

Yeah, I’ve read a lot of things about Garrison. The tip off is that he’s been playing extremely well for two full seasons now, and most are giving him credit for one. This is a good signing imo.

66. cabbiesmacker says:

art ,

what do you call a guy with no arms or legs hanging on the wall??

67. Rondo says:

I wonder because he played in a weak division and was paired with Brian Campbell who the other team would keyed on.

If he turns out to be a star I would have hoped he played for Edmonton.

If he is a flop I’m glad Vancouver took him.

68. Doug McLachlan says:

Lowetide: Hartikainen, Paajarvi and Lander are unproven, but that doesn’t mean they have no value . I do think Hartikainen gets a push this fall

69. Ducey says:

This just in: Torres wins the golden boot.

Is that what they call it if you get suspended 25 games?

Doug McLachlan: Oh I think they do have value but probably more to us than our potential trade partners. So to improve our D will probably cost us at center (Gagner) or wing (Hemsky). My concern is that the internal replacements (Lander, for example) is not ready for prime time. One step forward, one step back.

Rondo:

If he turns out to be a starI would have hoped he played for Edmonton.

If heis a flop I’m glad Vancouver took him.

I thought he played with Weaver. No?

72. Doug McLachlan says:

Lowetide: That’s why (imo) you have to take from a couple of different areas. Offering Paajarvi and Peckham is sending two young players who may or may not have long and successful careers. I think the 2-for-1 would involve someone from one area (Paajarvi or Peckham) and then a completely different area–maybe draft picks or a high end prospect or an established NHL player.

Prospect and pick trades at this time of year limits out partners. Chicago might do so, for cap flexibility reasons, but I suspect that we need to wait on the Suter decision for the dominoes to fall on D.

I like Carle but suspect we are not the only ones.

73. Rondo says:

I could be wrong

74. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Man… pissed that Van got the Garrison sweepstakes. And at quite a price. That’s probably the only value contract on the day… can anyone think of another?

He must really want to play with a bunch of d-bags to leave money on the table. unreal.

75. Traktor says:

6 years on Garrison? Ouch.

At least its not 10 years.

76. stevezie says:

How good of a defenceman do we need to make it worth while? I think Dallas could spare one, and Peckham + Omark/good prospect might get you Fistric, but is a Peckham upgrade worth the trouble?

I’m not demanding a borderline all-star, but we need someone in the twenty minutes a night range, right?

77. cabbiesmacker says:

Lowetide: I thought he played with Weaver. No?

Nope. Campbell by a lot.

78. Traktor says:

I think the teams that did nothing today are the big winners.

79. Doug McLachlan says:

Garrison was a good price for his 16 goals but everyone knew those were inflated (variance strikes again). Gillis got the value on the defensive aspects of his game.

I agree with you LT, the two year track could be a trend of talent and he holds that value. Still not sure six years from now that’s the case. May look overpaid before they get three years into it.

Canucks (D)esperate (S)uper (F)an called the Garrison signing right after we landed Schultz, and was pretty gracious about it too. It would be ironic if Garrison turns into a defensive Horcoff for the Canucks based less on the initial price and more on how the price looks as time passes.

80. BONVIE says:

I think if you compare the Garrison deal to the Wideman deal Vancouver’s signing looks an absolute gem. I think even if Garrison’s offence magically dries up by moving to a better offensive team as this Dobber guy suggests, to have a solid defensman that can play good defensively that is worth the just over 4million. In the Wideman case I always thought of him as a bit of a suspect on Defense, and I am a believer in the saying that the first part about being a defenseman is playing defense.

81. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Oh man…. this is priceless!!!

check out around the 1:45 mark on to see ST give the most awkward hug ever to JS’ mom!!

soooooo awkward!!

82. ashley says:

Traktor:
    I think the teams that did nothing today are the big winners.

Agreed. And every July 1 is so.

Specific to the Oilers, they have a full house with no room for talented kids on the farm knocking on the door.

Overpaying for 30-35 year old UFA’s doesn’t seem prudent at this juncture.

83. Doug McLachlan says:

BONVIE,

Agreed. Dobber is a hockey pool guy (pretty good too IMHO) but emphasing the offensive side of things first and foremost. Think he’s right that many Vancouver fans will not respect his defensive contributions any more than we respect Horcoff for his taking the toughs here.

I think a deal fashioned around a core trade of Hemsky for Yandle would seem to make a lot of sense to both Edmonton and Phoenix.

Maybe Phoenix would take Belanger back in that deal.

85. BONVIE says:

The Hordichuk deal is a bit disappointing, I would have rather seen either a good role player signed or a good enforcer signed(McIntyre). I seen Konopka signed for similar money I actually think he is a better fighter, and he can win faceoffs and can play hockey. I am actually of the thinking that I would rather see the Oilers have no enforcer than have one that is a punching bag. I mean Sutton or Peckham can step in for teammates, if that is all your looking for.

86. DSF says:

Doug McLachlan:
    Garrison was a good price for his 16 goals but everyone knew those were inflated (variance strikes again).Gillis got the value on the defensive aspects of his game.

I agree with you LT, the two year track could be a trend of talent and he holds that value. Still not sure six years from now that’s the case.May look overpaid before they get three years into it.

Garrison will slot in as the Canucks #4D and will replace Salo on the the 1st unit PP.

Since Vancouver has a top 5 PP and Florida’s was a notch below, I think you might expect Garrison’s numbers to improve.

Also worth noting that Vancouver was 4th best 5V5 team in the league last season while Florida was 25th.

In other words, he’ll get similar minutes and opportunity to Edler who managed 11 goals and 49 points last season.

Garrison is also 6’2″ 220 so I’m thinking Lowe may have won the Shultz battle but he lost the war.

Of course, we’re not supped to mention the war. :)

87. ashley says:

ashley,

Although that Boyes signing was a good one. That’s more of a July 8th bargain than a July 1st signing. Curious.

I’m still hopeful for an upgrade at C with Olli Jokinen. He still does everything well. He can skate well for a big man, plays great in his own end. As a bonus, he would be a nice mentor for our young European players assuming they actually get some NHL playing time this year.

However, I wouldn’t do it at any cost. The Oilers have to be careful since they have some big contracts to sign in the coming years. The term would have to be a maximum of 2 years and no more than 4 million per.

That may not put us in the running today, but if they are holding fast to a long term deal and other signings continue, the Jokinen camp may find themselves without a date a few days from now. I would keep checking in with them.

If I were GM for the day/week….

88. Archie says:

godot10,

After losing Whitney I don’t believe there would be a chance of Yandle being traded, especially with the teams sale not through yet.

89. jake70 says:

ashley:
    ashley,

Although that Boyes signing was a good one.That’s more of a July 8th bargain than a July 1st signing.Curious.

I’m still hopeful for an upgrade at C with Olli Jokinen.He still does everything well.He can skate well for a big man, plays great in his own end.As a bonus, he would be a nice mentor for our young European players assuming they actually get some NHL playing time this year.

However, I wouldn’t do it at any cost.The Oilers have to be careful since they have some big contracts to sign in the coming years.The term would have to be a maximum of 2 years and no more than 4 million per.

That may not put us in the running today, but if they are holding fast to a long term deal and other signings continue, the Jokinen camp may find themselves without a date a few days from now.I would keep checking in with them.

If I were GM for the day/week….

So who would your centers be to start this season?

Archie:
    godot10,

Phoenix has D coming out the wazoo, and no forwards. Yandle has a big ticket, and they have Gormley and Runbland and the Russian D to replace his soft minute offense from the blue.

91. Doug McLachlan says:

LT with Tootoo going to Detroit are we looking for a lesser agitator for your “crust” content or do we stick with Eager and give Tambo an incomplete/jury still out on this item?

Doug McLachlan:

93. pboy says:

I think Jokinen I going to get a huge deal out of some team. Something like 5 yrs – 25 million. I just hope the Oil aren’t on the other end of that deal.

94. pboy says:

Lowetide: I think the Oilers will try to add three items before they head out for vacation: top 4 blue, 2-way veteran forward and an agitator. I think Eager might be sent away as part of that transaction. That’s my guess anyway.

I agree and I believe that MPS and Peckham will be going elsewhere to acquire at least one of the players that will be coming back.

95. gogliano says:

Garrison contract seems like a fair price to me–about the price FLA may have got pre-UFA. I wouldn’t say it is a steal–they are on the hook for six years–but it beats most of the UFA overpays one ordinarily sees. Cap is now at 70 million and it keeps going up so even if the offensive/goal numbers go down (they will) the contract can still be justified. 6 years is a long time and it might not work out near the end but he is pretty young.

Mostly I agree with Traktor. UFA season, especially early on, seems to be defined by bad bets.

And totally awkard hug by Tambo.

Traktor:
    6 years on Garrison? Ouch.

At least its not 10 years.

Played with Campbell last year and got PP time, and had a nice year offensively.

He scored in the AHL and college too, but the “one year wonder” meme took hold amongst those who can’t see past the end of their nose.

97. Archie says:

godot10,

The same could be said about the Oilers with Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, and Musil. Would rather trade for a big C or power forward, something the Oilers desperately needs.

98. Rondo says:

Godot,

Your dreaming if you think Hemsky + an also ran for Yandle.

BTW Yandle is protected in Phoenix he does not play against the top lines.

Phoenix knows OEL is the star.

99. DSF says:

gogliano:
    Garrison contract seems like a fair price to me–about the price FLA may have got pre-UFA.I wouldn’t say it is a steal–they are on the hook for six years–but it beats most of the UFA overpays one ordinarily sees.Cap is now at 70 million and it keeps going up so even if the offensive/goal numbers go down (they will) the contract can still be justified.6 years is a long time and it might not work out near the end but he is pretty young.

Mostly I agree with Traktor.UFA season, especially early on, seems to be defined by bad bets.

And totally awkard hug by Tambo.

Garrison is a classic late bloomer.

I’d wager his counting numbers go UP now that he’s playing with one of the highest scoring teams in the league.

100. OilClog says:

DSF,

Loss the war eh… I don’t know about that. Lowes heavy hands may have something to say. If you look at the Oilers contracts, very few last pass the super kids elc’s, when those come to pass and the important pieces re-up ..Hall, Ebs, Nuge, Schultz, then Yak.. Whoa all that talent hurt your head DSF?.. The Oilers will be getting many Garrison level defenseman biting at the bit to get on this team. And if that was the same for Vancouver now.. How’d we get Schultz again? Congrats DSF, Gillis didn’t pay Wideman money Bravo. Schultz out scores garrison this year.

101. Rondo says:

I would rather go after Bouwmeester than Yandle. If they were both available.

102. Traktor says:

Woodguy: He played with Weaver 2 years ago on a terrible FLA team. Played the toughs and drew even.

I’ll never be convinced that Garrison is worth 6 years.

I’ll save those type of contracts for Hall, Eberle, and RNH.

103. Traktor says:

Rondo:
    I would rather go after Bouwmeesterthan Yandle. If they were both available.

Jbo is exactly what I’m hoping for. He’s better than Wideman or Garrison and he is only a 2 year commitment. I’m sure he would cost a lot less than Yandle as well.

The problem is I don’t think Calgary would trade him to us.

104. Traktor says:

DSF:

Keith Ballard says hi.

105. DSF says:

OilClog:
    DSF,

Loss the war eh… I don’t know about that. Lowes heavy hands may have something to say.If you look at the Oilers contracts, very few last pass the super kids elc’s, when those come to pass and the important pieces re-up ..Hall, Ebs, Nuge, Schultz, then Yak.. Whoa all that talent hurt your head DSF?.. The Oilers will be getting many Garrison level defenseman biting at the bit to get on this team. And if that was the same for Vancouver now.. How’d we get Schultz again? Congrats DSF, Gillis didn’t pay Wideman money Bravo. Schultz out scores garrison this year.

Schultz outscores Garrison?

Really?

The Oilers highest scoring defenseman last season was Petry with 25 points.

Edler – 49
    Bieksa – 44
    Hamhuis – 37
    Salo – 25

I guess , if you think a rookie defenseman can surpass Petry right out of the box, you may be right but I certainly wouldn’t bet on it.

I would think Schultz will be second pairing and second PP unit.

Even if he takes Petry’s first unit PP time, chances are he might get about 25 points.

Garrison scored 33 on a team that didn’t score much.

106. dawgtoy says:

DSF,

Hey DSF, are his parents season ticket holders to the Canucks as well?

107. ashley says:

Just filling downtime here at work and caught a rumour that the Flames are Whale hunting again, this time for Parise.

I had a boyfriend many years ago who wouldn’t leave a casino until the bank machine stopped giving him cash. His bets would start small, then get bigger, then when he was really down, he would get desperate and throw down a large bet on black in roulette. And lose.

Feaster reminds me of that guy.

The source of the Flames rumour is not well known to me, so it may not be true, but it would fit the Flames profile of late.

108. Ice Sage says:

Garrison’s a nice pricey bridesmaid for the Vancouver team – should help stall their slide for a few seasons.

Florida will be fine – Dale Tallon’s on the job – he probably has 3 or 4 replacements already

Not easy crossing the continent north and west, though – how’d that last FLA D work out for Van?

Good week for the Oil – I agree that the other shoe is gonna drop soon – it would be jaw-dropping if Horcoff got moved

109. Rondo says:

If Edmonton could acquire Bouwmeester in a trade that didn’t require core players that would be a steal.

110. leadfarmer says:

In concerns to Garrison, you have to use the SE division to western conference conversion factor to predict future offense, which is stilldecent for Garrison but not great. In regards to some of the other contracts Gms should learn that one way to acquire a terrible contract is to pay a mediocre player for long term. You should only lock up franchise players for more than five years.

111. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DSF,

OilClog,

Holy Calamity/Scream Insanity/All You Ever Gonna Be Is Another Great Fan Of Me (Bear Witness)

Seriously though. Both teams locked up sweet deals with sweet Ds for sweet money and both kids seem super stoked to be playing where they are.

Seems to me like a pretty happy day for all involved.

Not sure why anyone needs to start swinging the douche-hammer around.

112. Romulus Apotheosis says:

ashley:

I had a boyfriend many years ago who wouldn’t leave a casino until the bank machine stopped giving him cash.His bets would start small, then get bigger, then when he was really down, he would get desperate and throw down a large bet on black in roulette.And lose.

Feaster reminds me of that guy.

Sounds like a winner!

Feaster’s buying everything trying to convince himself his team isn’t structurally slipping deeper and deeper into trouble.

ashley:

Feaster reminds me of that guy.

Ashley: That was perfect. Great description.

114. OilClog says:

DSF: Schultz outscores Garrison?

Really?

The Oilers highest scoring defenseman last season was Petry with 25 points.

Edler – 49
    Bieksa – 44
    Hamhuis – 37
    Salo – 25

I would think Schultz will be second pairing and second PP unit.

Even ifhe takes Petry’s first unit PP time, chances are he might get about 25 points.

Garrison scored 33 on a team that didn’t score much.

Garrison is replacing Salo..

Both of Edm’s pp units will equal anything Vancouver can throw out from here on out. Two Sedins, Kesler, Borrows… Sorry but.. hall, Ebs, Nuge, yak, Hemsky, gags… That’s much more offensive talent heading to tomorrow. Schultz will get points it’s undeniable, I like Garrison.. But ask Gillis who he would really like to have. I understand your bitter that vancouvers latest 5yr window is closing up shop as fast as the Sharks did, but hey you still got maybe one more year of possibilities.

Rookie or not he out scores Garrison.

115. OilClog says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    DSF,

OilClog,

Seems to me like a pretty happy day for all involved.

Not sure why anyone needs to start swinging the douche-hammer around.

Someone needs to do it, without the calamity.

Traktor: I’ll never be convinced that Garrison is worth 6 years.

I’ll save those type of contracts for Hall, Eberle, and RNH.

There was talk he was being offered 6.5MM.

Perhaps he exchanged money for term.

He’ll be 28-34 during the contract.

That’s right in the wheel house for defensmen peak years (generally 26-34)

Gillis did well. Had leverage and used it.

117. uni says:

Archie: Trading Teubert, Peckham, or Sutton take away any physical deterrent the Oilers have on D. Hordi cannot play on all the lines and Peckham or Sutton keep the opposing teams wary.

If by “wary” you mean aware that prime scoring opportunities are abound when they’re on the ice. Mind you Sutton is a solid 5-6 d-man. The Oilers need players who can actually handle NHL minutes without bleeding out, being physical in and of itself means nothing if you can’t actually catch up to the play and are hemmed into your own zone your entire shift.

118. bookje says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Oh man…. this is priceless!!!

soooooo awkward!!

“The most awkward hug ever” In what way? it looks like any of the other hugs I have ever seen in my life.

119. delooper says:

I try be best!

120. Romulus Apotheosis says:

bookje: “The most awkward hug ever” In what way?it looks like any of the other hugs I have ever seen in my life.

perhaps you lack a subtle eye for awkward social interactions.

Let’s go through the list.

She extends a hand… gets a whole lot of ST huggin!

ST doesn’t really seal the deal. He never gets both arms around her, instead giving her a kind of awkward hands free man–to-man hug

big guy in pink shirt (JS’ brother?) immediately can’t handle it… looks away like nothing is happening, crosses arms uncomfortably, looks at ST with a grimace.

JS’ dad (presumably) rocks back and forth with hands clasped, gives tentative smile

Krueger (the best one to watch) goes through about 6 different hand positions: behind the back; relaxed in front; fixing jacket; hands together one way, than another; back to resting at the side; back to behind the back

JS just looks on like a kid trying to figure who is less embarrassing…

The whole thing is amazing and will go down in my annuls of awkward social interactions. I could seriously watch Krueger not know where to put his hands for hours… hilarious.

(maybe I’m overthinking it.. but that’s what makes it funny for me… so don’t take that away from me)

121. DSF says:

OilClog: Garrison is replacing Salo..

Rookie or not he out scores Garrison.

Well, tomorrow begins in October.

PP Points:

Henrik Sedin – 8G 27P
    Daniel Sedin – 10G 25P
    Alex Edler – 5G 22P
    Ryan Kesler – 8G 19P (off year)
    Sami Salo – 4G 15P

Nugent Hopkins – 3G 23P
    Hall 8G 21P
    Eberle 10G 20P
    Horcoff 5G 13P
    Sam Gagner 6G 12P

Jeff Petry – 1G 6P

Notice anything?

ST is an artist in this area. It’s too bad because he’s probably a great guy and clearly has done well in life but the actual process of public appearances are not his strength.

Do you remember Joe Clark the politician? Met him many moons ago and he was the same way–wooden, not really relaxed, almost forced. I didn’t think much of it, but about 2 years later in MacLean’s magazine there was a long article in which the author picked up on it and ran a long way.

The peak of the article was probably 500 words about Clark’s walk. Seriously. Most people walk with their off hand matching the opposite foot. As in when you move your left foot forward your right hand matches it moving forward.

Well this fucking guy–and he was a pretty well known writer, like Alan fotheringham llevel–pays special attention to Clark and realizes his WALK is all wrong. Left arm with left hand, right arm with right hand. I mean he absolutely nailed it but this is MACLEANS and everyone is going to read it.

True story. And then year’s later Joe’s making a comeback and he has a lovely daughter so for some weird reason she’s with him all the time. Now that’s strange, and of course everyone picks up on it.

Anyway. Steve Tambellini isn’t good at this stuff. Probably genetic.

123. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ahh the Red Tory days… who could forget?

I never noticed Clark’s walk though… just spent a few minutes trying to find a video of it… alas…

At any rate, thanks for the story. As pointless as it is, these little quirks make people much more interesting and funny (I mean that in a completely non-malicious way BTW)

Of course, it reminds one of this gem:

124. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DSF,

The D on the PP were all over the map though. Whitney out for long stretches, Potter good at the beginning, then out, then not great, Petry was going for a while and I believe Barker even got a few spins on the PP.

I think a jumble of factors make that discrepancy less important than you imply.

The real question is: if an offensive D, like Schultz sees consistent PP for a full season, is he up around Edler’s numbers of down around Petry’s…

I think you’d have to bet the former, no?

125. "Steve Smith" says:

The first and only time I ever joined a political party was the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada under Joe Clark. I think he’s a decent, honourable, intelligent man, of a sort that I wish we had far more of in public life. But there’s no question that the man’s walk is all wrong.

(I’ll leave the story about the time that I was accidentally elected a delegate to the P.C. Party’s last ever national convention for another time. Mostly because it’s not as interesting as it sounds.)

126. Dipstick says:

Romulus Apotheosis: perhaps you lack a subtle eye for awkward social interactions.

Let’s go through the list.

She extends a hand… gets a whole lot of ST huggin!

JS just looks on like a kid trying to figure who is less embarrassing…

What a great dissection. Have you viewed the Zapruder film yet?

127. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Dipstick: What a great dissection.Have you viewed the Zapruder film yet?

Haha!!

that’s funny because I posted this the other day, take a look: