OILERS SIGN BYERS

The Edmonton Oilers have signed winger Dane Byers. Big guy, definitely has some crust and 100 AHL goals in 385 games at that level. Interesting signing. Coke machine.

Byers is from the JF Jacques family, he has a goal in 14 games (so he’s no Jacques!) of NHL play and has scored 23 and 25 goals in the AHL. I expect he’s an AHL player with some callup potential, and of course he’s a pim machine. I expect he’s more Ben Eager than Darcy Hordichuk if it comes to that.

53 Responses to "OILERS SIGN BYERS"

1. Clarkenstein says:

Who?

2. Downright Fierce says:

Bowling For Lucics continues ad nauseum.

Another contract means The Org has Byers slotted in somewhere. Hordichuk insurance? Toonces’ version of Winnik?* Eager replacement?

Fans of these kinds of signings: don’t watch his scrap with BJ Crombeen last year. Tain’t pretty.

*Agreed with your arguments for him in the last thread, LT.

He’s no Link Gaetz!

4. Beaker says:

And the point of him taking up room on the 50 man list is??

5. "Steve Smith" says:

Beaker:
    And the point of him taking up room on the 50 man list is??

That he takes up a lot of it, presumably.

6. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I guess no Winnik? Oilers have got to be making a significant trade.

7. unca miltie says:

Comes from same sask. town as guyle fielder . Only lt knows about guyle .

8. misfit says:

Wes Mantooth-11: I guess no Winnik? Oilers have got to be making a significant trade.

You know fans are getting antsy when the signing of a career AHL toughguy is taken as a precursor to a major trade.

9. stevezie says:

You guys panic too much. the guy we want will become available when someone trades for Nash, or Ryan or J-Bo, or whomever and needs to free up cap space. Then, we sweep in with a draft pick and a spare part in exchange for the perfect solution! Just you wait.

10. Beaker says:

stevezie,

That’s a lot of faith in Tambo. My gut feeling is the guy we need pops up (if hes not already) and he ends up somewhere else….

11. spoiler says:

Beaker:
    And the point of him taking up room on the 50 man list is??

Do we even know if he counts against the 50 man list yet?

I don’t think there’s panic so much as blah. Dane Byers is to Eager/Hordichuk as Danis is to Khabibulin. At some point even diehard fans lose interest in this kind of addition. He doesn’t even have a goofy name.

13. Beaker says:

spoiler: Do we even know if he counts against the 50 man list yet?

No, I suppose we don’t. But “I expect he’s an AHL player with some callup potential” had me in that frame of mind.

The Oilers signed him to a 2-way contract so he’s on the 50 man list.

15. spoiler says:

Beaker, you’re probably right.

0.5-0.7 ppg game player in the A. 2nd round draft pick of the Rags in ’04.

Pro-scouting has officially made an appearance this summer.

But I think he’s intended to bring help to OKC. There are kids to block parent there too.

16. Beaker says:

Do we really need “Hordichuk Insurance”? What prospects did we not sign recently that essentially didnt get signed so we could have “Hordichuk Insurance”?

@Spoiler

No doubt he was brought in to help OKC. I cant imagine “guaranteed NHL icetime” was part of our grand pitch to bring this guy in. Admittedly without knowing a ton about this guy, it just feels like a waste of time and space.

Beaker:
    Do we really need “Hordichuk Insurance”?What prospects did we not sign recently that essentially didnt get signed so we could have “Hordichuk Insurance”?

Got me. I’m still wondering why they didn’t sign Jeremie Blain, let alone someone who could help the NHL team next season.

18. Beaker says:

*sigh* Im just irritable because I do actually want the Oilers to at least compete for a playoff spot this year.

Question for all of you..

Who do we see the oilers passing this year if no other changes are made the the roster?

Calgary?
    Nashville if everything implodes over there?
    Anahiem?
    What does Colorado and Dallas realistically look like going forward?

I just cannot see us catching up to any of the playoff teams this year or minnie.

19. Ducey says:

OKC had Tristan Grant last year. Presumably Byers is going to replace him as the beat cop there. Not a bad choice given that he can score a little.

20. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

Beaker,

I see us passing Anahiem if Ryan leaves, after that it’s going to be close.

21. Professor Q says:

Interesting signing. I wonder what’s next?

22. Backhand says:

I know most around here are comfortable waiting to sign RFA’s but in my mind it should be important for ST to at least have a strong grasp of what the big 3′s (Gagner, Petry, Dubnyk) numbers are gonna look like. If ST wants to land a top pairing D its probably gonna come with some salary and push us with in a few million of the cap. That’s fine this year but next year you give significant raises to Hall, Eberle, Smid, and have to think about what happens with Hartikainen, Magnus, and possibly Whitney (with good health).

Now you do lose Souray’s buyout (1.5m), and to some extent you might save on Khabby’s replacement, but generally speaking you are looking at equal or slightly greater value on replacements of other ufa/rfa’s.

Next off season will obviously be huge for ST but what he does with those 3 RFA’s can make his life a lot harder/easier. If he can get good value contracts out of them I think we have a chance of keeping the big 4 and bringing in a top dman

23. Doug McLachlan says:

I am still struck by how quiet San Jose has been.

If their window hasn’t already closed, how much longer will it remain open.

They are apparently in on the Nash sweepstakes but they are not alone.

24. stevezie says:

This is a total subject change so maybe I get ignored, but two questions about Calgary:

1) Wouldn’t Calgary be better off keeping Boumeester and trading Chris Butler for a forward? Wouldn’t keeping JBo be the best way to ensure full value for him? Surely no one thinks Wideman can replace JBo just because he scores a bit more?

2) What about Scott Hannan? All that fuss about him last summer and then I completely forgot to pay attention to how he did over the year. Is he a viable plan C, or is he on his way out to pasture?

25. Doug McLachlan says:

I could be wrong but I thought Hannan has gone.

26. maudite says:

Not sure the rush to sign this type of player. I know I’m overly cynical but I’m still firmly in the camp that believes they are not capable of seeing the forest through the trees.

Exactly the problem. Drop a guy like Blain to make contract space for this…Where’s Abney? Do we not have him on the 50 player list already for this type of work? I’m praying for the many for something type deal, praying for another 2-4 d….but unlike other summers of operation false hope, I’m not expecting it to happen.

Sorry LT, love your enthusiam and wish a little of the ‘hope springs eternal’ rubbed off. Aside from something like an extreme overypay for Jack Johnson, (which thankfully Columbus wouldn’t do) I’d be suprised if our roster wasn’t set more or less as is.

Wild is better
    I’d argue Colorado is better
    Calgary is Calgary (not playoff bound but likely not free points by any stretch)

Our division looks a lot less free pointish (unlike last year). That’s troubling as I figured best case scenario relative to our divisional rivals we were likely going to take the a larger leap as far as than anyone else. We’re still in the if the stars align perfectly territory for legitimate playoff contention.

27. Archie says:

I don’t see much difference Dana Byers and Drew Czerwonka who they didn’t sign. Basically the same player, but IMO Czerwonka would bring more energy to the game. If anything the Oilers needed a big RW, signing doesn’t make sense.

28. Henry says:

I like this signing. It keeps the Oilers from having to scramble if Hordichuk or Eager are hurt or ineffective. 25 goals in the AHL are quite a lot for this type of player. Depth is good. Maybe the pressure is on Eager to perform more and grumble less.

29. franksterra says:

Jones is one of those players of whom people say “he’s not the problem”. We have a few. They are a collective problem – they do 1 or 2 things well, or are full of ‘try’, or are good ‘team’ guys, or vets that “should recover”, whatever. And the 4th line was just the Death of Hope and Love last year.

We need more solid ice-tilters with multiple skills, and if other things are equal, more size and reach. Even if Winnik scores 10 and Jones scores 17, Jones is all chaos and try, whereas Winnik seems to have a more solid 2-way game and against generally tougher comp (is this last bit true?). With a young team, having rookies and sophomores line up with someone with good positional sense trumps Hi-Fiving with “The Flow” a few more times a year.

Not sure how this realtes to this thread, sorry. Maybe this is a precursor to bottom six upgrade, or maybe he’s just OKC.

30. bookje says:

I heard that he was going to sign with the Rangers, but a phone call from Dave Semenko swayed him in favour of the Oilers.

maudite:
    Not sure the rush to sign this type of player.I know I’m overly cynical but I’m still firmly in the camp that believes they are not capable of seeing the forest through the trees.

Exactly the problem.Drop a guy like Blain to make contract space for this…Where’s Abney?Do we not have him on the 50 player list already for this type of work?I’m praying for the many for something type deal, praying for another 2-4 d….but unlike other summers of operation false hope, I’m not expecting it to happen.

Sorry LT, love your enthusiam and wish a little of the ‘hope springs eternal’ rubbed off.Aside from something like an extreme overypay for Jack Johnson, (which thankfully Columbus wouldn’t do) I’d be suprised if our roster wasn’t set more or less as is.

Wild is better
    I’d argue Colorado is better

Our division looks a lot less free pointish (unlike last year).That’s troubling as I figured best case scenario relative to our divisional rivals we were likely going to take the a largerleap as far as than anyone else.We’re still in the if the stars align perfectly territory for legitimate playoff contention.

Never be sorry for how you feel about the Oilers. :-) Do me a favor, though. Remember the summer they added Yakupov and Schultz. I think that’s pretty significant. I want those other pieces (D, W) but summer’s just underway. This has been a sensational start for the organization. This is where MacT needs to shove ST and get the motor running.

32. jp says:

Looks like A better Triston Grant from here. AHL 2nd liner who can protect the kids on the farm. Abney/Czerwonka can’t play this role now, if ever.

Also provides extreme depth a la Keller last year (different player type obviously). He’ll play some D in TC then spend the year in OKC.

You never know though, may be they do see him as a legit 4th line option – the boxcars suggest he’s more of a player than Hordicuk. I have no problem with this as a depth/OKC development signing.

33. Ducey says:

Archie:

It does make sense if you realise that playing beat cop is one of the toughest (literally and figuratively) jobs out there. It would be asking too much of a rookie to step in and start fighting 30 year old men every night. There are a subset of guys in the AHL whose only hope of making it to the show is with their fists. Its very hard to have to fight these guys 20+ times a season.

You need some protection for some of your prize prospects and you don’t want guys like Hamilton or Pitlick to have to do this. If you don’t have a beat cop then they have to.

Unfortunately, Abney should be able to do this, but he can’t seem to get out of the ECHL. At least Byers can play a regular shift.

It would have been nice to not use an NHL contract on the spot but perhaps they are thinking this might put a but more pressure on Eager to fulfill his role.

34. franksterra says:

Sort of a neverending rolling push start, like in Little Miss Sunshine. Steer Steve, steer.

i would imagine our trades will need to involve next year’s 2nd rounders, good D-prospects other than Klef, and maybe a decent warm body like Jones. Eager, Lennert, Blancmanger won’t do it, and moving Harski or MP could be badly preamature. Looking forward to the next month in a more relaxed, less refresh-hitting way.

35. Ryan says:

“I expect he’s more Ben Eager than Darcy Hordichuk if it comes to that.”

Is it a case of, “Okay Ben, you’re cranky about not getting rewarded with ice time for playing well hence you looked the other way when Eberle got run over. Do you think Dane would react the same way? Should we find out?”

36. Ryan says:

franksterra,

lol. Usually I’m on board with Tamble On/Toonces motif, but in his defense (did I just say that?), there’s not a whole lot going on in terms of activity with other GMs yet.

This has to be one of the worst UFA pools overall I can think of in recent years. No bargains on the top end with the exception of JS.

The Bolts just gave $33m over 6 years to Carle.

37. WeridAl says:

Lowetide: Never be sorry for how you feel about the Oilers. Do me a favor, though. Remember the summer they added Yakupov and Schultz. I think that’s pretty significant. I want those other pieces (D, W)but summer’s just underway. This has been a sensational start for the organization. This is where MacT needs to shove ST and get the motor running.

How do you figure MacT had to do with anything, besides the signing of J.Schultz it’s been no difference from last year. The slow methodical pace of rebuilding a team for the future. K.Lowe destroyed the team to were the Oilers only could get scraps to play here. To now were players are actually wanting to play here, IMO ST deserves a lot of the credit. Lowe dumped a load of crap on ST and asked him to win with it. Did he make some bad moves, sure, but the team was already in a shambles and I don’t think most GMs could of done any better. The big fault ST had was he should of scraped the team from day 1, instead of trying to do the impossible. Clean house, like he did a couple of years ago, and make it his team, not K.lowe’s.

38. Ryan says:

I’ve heard some rumors of the Oilers doing business with the Pens. They are light on forwards/forward prospects, but have some interesting defensive prospects. Any news on this front?

39. WeridAl says:

Ryan,

The Oilers are basically in the same boat, lots of D prospects, but light on forwards. I believe the Oilers are in the market for a top pair D, not another prospect, unless it was Rienhart or Hamilton.

40. Dipstick says:

I would bet that MacT whispered something in Tambo’s ear. He must have had a very good look at this player last year. I don’t think that this is anything more than an AHL depth signing.

41. franksterra says:

Ryan,

For sure, I don’t mean to dig at lack of FA signings, as you say it’s a poor season for that. I ‘spose I have a nagging fear though of glacial assessment protocols jamming up possible trade lines over the next few weeks. We’ll just have to wait and see.

42. dessert1111 says:

He scores at a decent AHL clip for a guy like this. Do we think he would be much worse than Eager? Maybe, but Eager’s inconsistency is frustrating. Seeing Matt Martin play him in that game around New Years was painful to watch.

If there are injuries/suspensions to two of Petrell, Eager, Hordichuk and maybe even Jones, he’s not a bad guy for a call-up, it seems. Not the signing anyone is looking forward to but I’m not sure why people are upset about it. Maybe they trade Eager and have this guy in the system in case they decide that player type is necessary? I wouldn’t mind that.

43. NB_Oiler_Fan says:

Lowetide: This is where MacT needs to shove ST and get the motor running.

Also… is there a link somewhere to the current 50-man list?

44. copperblueandwhite says:

Sounds like a three-for-deal maybe in the works…great article LT…comments have me splitting with laughter early in the am.

45. "Steve Smith" says:

NB_Oiler_Fan:
    Also… is there a link somewhere to the current 50-man list?

46. NB_Oiler_Fan says:

NB_Oiler_Fan: So are you going to be giving MacT all the credit (or even some credit) now for any deals that ST makes?Also… is there a link somewhere to the current 50-man list?

Sorry, this came out sounding harsher then it was intended…. but what i meant was because of your likeness for MacT, are you going give him credit for any deals made? St is still teh GM, and no matter what advice he make get from others in Org, ST lives and dies by the deals so should also be giving the credit/angst.

47. NB_Oiler_Fan says:

Perfect… thanks Steve.

"Steve Smith": The Copper & Blue keeps an updated list along its left sidebar (we’re currently at 48/50, apparently, including Klefbom and Musil).

Those two contracts are “slide risks” so can be delivered moot if they don’t play pro hockey in NA this coming season.

49. imjustsayin says:

Since when does 204lbs. make you a “coke machine” ? I was bigger than that when I was 19 (215lbs.)……and I was not considered a big guy when I played.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I’m going to go ahead and assume this is not what they’ve been spending the last week on rather than signing Winnik or trading for Tyutin or signing the RFAs…

that feels better.

51. stevezie says:

franksterra:
    Sort of a neverending rolling push start, like in Little Miss Sunshine.Steer Steve, steer.

i would imagine our trades will need to involve next year’s 2nd rounders, good D-prospects other than Klef, and maybe a decent warm body like Jones.Eager, Lennert, Blancmanger won’t do it, and moving Harski or MP could be badly preamature.Looking forward to the next month ina more relaxed, less refresh-hitting way.

If we trade Blancmager I’m burning my jersey. Some things are untouchable. Literally.

52. Downright Fierce says:

imjustsayin,

53. Dalton says:

Downright Fierce: You misunderstand the definition of Coke Machine. It has less to do with their size & more to do with their abilities on the ice.

What? No, I think you’re wrong about that. Coke machine means what it sounds like it means.

Romulus Apotheosis: If it’s just a random pickup to add to OKC and give Eager a push great, if they interpret this as a serious acquisition… crap again.

“If they interpret this as a serious acquisition”… wow. As opposed to what, a goofy acquisition?

Everybody needs to hold their horses. Maybe LT should stop making threads every day during the summer, because people are not thinking straight here.

IT’S ONLY A FEW DAYS AFTER JULY 1ST

I will say that again

IT’S ONLY BEEN A FEW DAYS SINCE JULY 1ST

We have the whole entire dadgum summer ahead of us, so just chill the heck out.