I’m very pleased with this move. Player who can play in the enforcer/protector role and miles less expensive than the crazy dollars being spent elsewhere.
It’s 1-year, $850,000. Thank you Baby Jesus.
THE SHOPPING LIST
- A top pairing defenseman capable of delivering big minutes at evens and at least one of PK and PP. 20+ overall. The range of player rumors in this category is vexing. Marc Methot is not going to fill this role, but he is rumored to be the player headed here. Bryan Allen and Mark Streit have also been rumored to Edmonton.
A better Renney.I think yesterday was a very big day for Krueger. Based on reports, the key moments in the Schultz negotiations came when the new coach gave his vision and Schultz plus Hall started riffing on the possibilities. I imagine an Allman Brothers-style jam session that resulted in absolute magic. Can’t wait to see the vision on the ice. Justin Schultz or similar. Huge item for the Oilers. Should he emerge as a top 4, 35+ point defenseman who can handle reasonable opposition and remain in the black, Edmonton’s hard work this past week will sustain them for a decade on the blue. Brilliant.
- An established 2-way winger to mentor the young players who will compete for bottom 6 roles (Lander, Hartikainen, Pitlick, etc). Winnik is my choice here, but the Oilers may have someone else in mind. I always say Pisani but maybe this man is a center.
Ryan Smyth or similar.The extra year was the issue but the price tag is excellent. I think those who believe Smyth’s value to this team is low badly misunderstand what he can do for this team. They need to back off his special team minutes but this is a quality signing. Beauty A reasonable goaltending option for the Khabibulin free fall. Danis is a solid option, his .924SP with the Barons a year ago was safely inside the AHL’s top 10 and he gives the club excellent insurance. A solid signing.
- Get the rfa’s signed. Did a good job qualifying, but the Oilers often trade kids in this situation and Gagner isn’t out of the woods yet. Happy Omark was qualified, doubt he plays as an Oiler again.
Crust .Hordichuk is perfectly suitable in this role, as I put forward in the RE series. I expect the Oilers will attempt to grab Tootoo this afternoon, so part of the crust remains uncrossed.
One final item: as part of the RE for Hordichuk, I wrote:
- What’s the solution? Get good players, and if you must have an enforcer re-sign Darcy Hordichuk and flush Ben Eager.
- Do you think the Oilers will do that? I think they’ll try to trade Eager, seemed pretty mad at him after the late March sequence against CBJ’s Jared Boll. Eager was on the ice but didn’t go after Boll, I’m certain the Oilers noticed it because the verbal after that was about protecting the kids for a few news cycles.
- Enough about Eager. What else does Hordichuk offer? That’s about it. 4 minutes a night half the nights on the schedule and he’ll man up anytime, anywhere.
- That’s worth a roster spot? The Oilers think so, and this is reasonable expectations which is designed to take personal opinion out of it.
- Just the facts? Yes.
- How about some personal opinions. Personal opinions are boring, everyone has one and I’m a fan with personal bias. What do I know?
- Don’t be a baby. Okay. Will Hordichuk be in the NHL next season? Yes.
- Will he be an Oiler? Yes.
- You could not be more wrong. Good grief.