OILERS SIGN SMYTH

Two years, $2.25M per year. I like the deal.

THE SHOPPING LIST

1. A top pairing defenseman capable of delivering big minutes at evens and at least one of PK and PP. 20+ overall. The range of player rumors in this category is vexing. Marc Methot is not going to fill this role, but he is rumored to be the player headed here. Bryan Allen and Mark Streit have also been rumored to Edmonton.
  2. A better Renney. I think yesterday was a very big day for Krueger. Based on reports, the key moments in the Schultz negotiations came when the new coach gave his vision and Schultz plus Hall started riffing on the possibilities. I imagine an Allman Brothers-style jam session that resulted in absolute magic. Can’t wait to see the vision on the ice.
  3. Justin Schultz or similar. Huge item for the Oilers. Should he emerge as a top 4, 35+ point defenseman who can handle reasonable opposition and remain in the black, Edmonton’s hard work this past week will sustain them for a decade on the blue. Brilliant.
  4. An established 2-way winger to mentor the young players who will compete for bottom 6 roles (Lander, Hartikainen, Pitlick, etc). Winnik is my choice here, but the Oilers may have someone else in mind. I always say Pisani but maybe this man is a center.
  5. Ryan Smyth or similar. The extra year was the issue but the price tag is excellent. I think those who believe Smyth’s value to this team is low badly misunderstand what he can do for this team. They need to back off his special team minutes but this is a quality signing. Beauty
  6. A reasonable goaltending option for the Khabibulin free fall. I get nervous when we talk about the goalies, seems to me Edmonton should add a capable man whose salary will stop well short of $2M. I worry a little about some of the names out there.
  7. Get the rfa’s signed. Did a good job qualifying, but the Oilers often trade kids in this situation and Gagner isn’t out of the woods yet. Happy Omark was qualified, doubt he plays as an Oiler again.
  8. Crust. I added this one because Edmonton clearly plans on upgrading the Eager/Hordichuk group from a year ago. Names I’ve seen are Tootoo and Parros.

70 Responses to "OILERS SIGN SMYTH"

1. Zack says:

Have a beer, and then another.

2. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Great news. One less fret to carry about.

Sail home MooseJawWarrior!

3. DBO says:

Here beer beer beer. It is 11 in the east so I’m good

4. Professor Q says:

Woo!

5. PerryK says:

Zack:
    Have a beer, and then another.

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

6. Lucinius says:

Mentioned in the last thread; I like the deal. Right amount of money for a two year deal. Good on Smyth and the management for getting it done.

I do find it interesting that Hemsky and Smyth’s deals end at the same time now, considering the youth movement and when we have to start paying out the big bucks for the quintessential quartet.

7. Professor Q says:

Thoughts about the Canadiens potentially signing Penner?

8. HBomb says:

I don’t care that I was up until 3:30am drinking spiced rum and coke and smoking cigars (by the way, weddings are awesome)….but I’m cracking a beer RIGHT NOW.

I’d like to know if we have to upgrade Tambellini to v5.0 right now….Woodguy, what do you think?

9. Traktor says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer

Looks like one of Magnus Paajarvi or Teemu Hartikainen will be in OKC now

10. bsmart says:

love the term & the dollars< nice work management group again! Yakipov, schultz, and now Smyth. So far 3 for 3.

I had to check the calender because it feels a lot like my birthday!

11. HBomb says:

Traktor:
    Bob Stauffer‏@Bob_Stauffer

Looks like one of Magnus Paajarvi or Teemu Hartikainen will be in OKC now

Then again, this business of “actual honest-to-god depth” is kind of a nice concept as well.

12. Traktor says:

Both MPS and Harty will be waiver eligible next year.

Professor Q:
    Thoughts about the Canadiens potentially signing Penner?

They’re going to be losing draft picks, because we’re half an hour from UFA season.

HBomb:

I think we’re at MacT 1.0 Honestly

Joanne Ireland: Ralph Krueger said he’s had lots of talks with Ryan Smyth about playing more versatile role rather than top six minutes.

16. D says:

LT,

Do you believe this contract will take Ryan to the end of his playing career?

17. justDOit says:

Professor Q:
    Thoughts about the Canadiens potentially signing Penner?

If he thinks he was ridden hard in Edmonton – great jeebus, he’s in for more than he can handle in le belle province!

18. Traktor says:

HBomb: Traktor – as much as I liked the contract with Hemsky….right now, the obvious move is dealing him for a top-pairing blueliner (Fedor Tyutin or similar), and if not him, Paajarvi (big fan of the guy, but if it’s him or Hartikainen, Teemu seems to bring what the Oilers don’t have a ton of in terms of “skilled grit”).

Agreed, but I wouldn’t touch Tyutin unless a contract like Horcoff’s is going back the other way. 6 years is way too long imo.

19. Traktor says:

I like it.

20. DBO says:

Danis signs 1 yr deal. Ok. Goalie depth done. Hard to do better then top AHL goalie

D:
    LT,

Do you believe this contract will take Ryan to the end of his playing career?

The last half of the season was a warning though, and that Ireland item above is encouraging. I’m loving the big brain of Krueger so far.

Omark, Jones, Peckham, and a pick to NYI for Streit please.

23. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Traktor,

Tyutin. It’s long… but I wouldn’t make it contingent on losing another contract.

If you need the space you can always trade him. A guy like that is going to be valuable (barring death or dismemberment)

24. cabbiesmacker says:

Professor Q:
    Thoughts about the Canadiens potentially signing Penner?

He stays with the P food group. Pancakes to Poutine.

25. D says:

Lowetide: I think it makes certain he’ll end his career with the Oilers. I don’t know when it’ll be, Smyth is such a unique player it is hard to estimate. He’s had miles and miles on him for years now and keeps performing at a high enough level to stay in the league.

It will be nice to see him finish here LT. With the moves the Oilers have made so far, it seems they are pushing the team closer to #8. Still not a playoff contender IMHO, but moving in the right direction.

26. Professor Q says:

Yay Yann Danis!

27. Gret99zky says:

Great deal. Win for both sides. Beer.

28. Romulus Apotheosis says:

DBO,

“http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/19457207/oilers-resign-veteran-forward-ryan-smyth-for-two-seasons”

“The Oilers also announced a new one-year contract for Yann Danis before free agency opened.”

Great news!!! it’s all coming together!

29. Traktor says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Traktor,

That’s assuming that his play doesn’t level off and he remains healthy.

To quote that guy in the movie cliffhanger: “Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups.”

There is zero need to take on that type of risk and he isn’t worth the reward. He is a good but not great top 4 D.

I don’t want to bring up Horc again but people probably thought we could move him as well if we wanted to clear up cap space. A lot of shit happens in 6 years.

I’ll save those contracts for the Hall’s and Eberle’s.

Let Calgary trade for him instead and then give him a NTC.

30. justDOit says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

Now if they can just orchestrate a Khabby Danis swap between the teams.

31. Gret99zky says:

Yann Danis was likely the BPA for OKC so, beer.

32. Professor Q says:

Ryan Rishaug reporting Hemsky apparently being heavily trawled along the trade front.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Rishaug saying Hemsky might be leaving…

better be good

34. Professor Q says:

That’s not creepy at all Rom… ;)

HBomb:

V4.CM (Craig MacTavish)

36. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Traktor,

His money isn’t as outrageous as Horcoff’s and he’s been making good his bet so far and D are always more valuable on the market no?

plus I think you radically underestimate him. To get numbers this good on a shitty team is pretty impressive:

LT’s breakdown has me convinced the guy would be a great fit… plus he could russian it up with Yak.

Frack! Hemsky? Shyster. FRACK!

38. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Professor Q:
    That’s not creepy at all Rom…

haha!! wait… what now?

39. Traktor says:

Romulus Apotheosis:
    Traktor,

Its not the money, its the term. 6 years. SIX.

I like the player but save those contracts for the kids. No need to be Flames v.2.

40. gogliano says:

Ugh, I hope they don’t trade Hemsky. Unless it is a Hemsky + Gagner for great center I couldn’t imagine was available type of deal. I can’t imagine Hemsky getting fair value in a trade.

41. jfry says:

as my dad always said, “it’s 5 o’clock somewhere”

42. Professor Q says:

Romulus Apotheosis,

We just posted the same thing at the same time, I thought it was quite funny. Might just the be the air.

43. PerryK says:

Back to earth for Tambo!

Are you kidding about trading Hemsky?

better be!

44. Gret99zky says:

$25M in Detroit’s wallet to open the flea market.

Yikes. They may fill the cart.

45. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Professor Q,

Ahh… got it!!

I thought it might be my dismemberment reference…. at any rate, I laughed… tilted my head like a confused dog and then laughed again…

46. Lucinius says:

Hemsky moves I think I might swap to vodka from soda.

47. Bos8 says:

If they could sell Gagner as a top six center for a third line, good sized, center that might play. Then shop Hemsky for an undervalued center with some size. The Hall/Yak combo will make anyone look good. All he’d have to do is cruise the high slot and backcheck.

48. Jesse says:

Hemsky+ for Yandle?

49. gogliano says:

Bos8:
    If they could sell Gagner as a top six center for a third line, good sized center that might play.Then shop Hemsky for an undervalued center with some size.The Hall/Yak combo will make anyone look good.All he’d have to do is cruise the high slot and backcheck.

50. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Traktor,

I get it… term. It’s a big bet. for sure. But you could win too… and it would shore up D for a long while (that’s what we want right).

after all these 10 year deals, 6 seems short :)

51. justDOit says:

Jesse:
    Hemsky+ for Yandle?

Well… Ok. Twist my rubber shoulder (er… arm).

52. Gret99zky says:

How long do teams have to wait in order to make it appear they actually negotiated the deal after noon eastern? ;)

53. Ryan says:

holy frack…

Oilers winger depth chart Top 5.

That’s a lot of offense

Over a full season…

1. Taylor Hall 35-40
    2. Jordan Eberle 35-40
    3. Ales Hemsky 20-25
    4. Nail Yakupov 35
    5. Ryan Smyth 20

54. Bos8 says:

gogliano: Move MPS to center and keep Hartski as the banging LW. Though he has a muffin so won’t score much from the high slot.

I would dearly love to see MPS switched to Center. I’m pinning my hopes on Kreuger and his vision. Hall, MPS and Yak coming up ice would scare the crap out of any D. Who do you cover and how much time do you have to do it? Wasn’t there some shooting specialist that focused on increasing power?

55. Professor Q says:

I always thought they could in fact do it before noon, just not officially processed until after.

56. Gret99zky says:

Even though he stinks of cowgry, I’d like to have Jokinen on the team. Another depth center may cover a bet or two.

57. matmik says:

Gret99zky:
    Even though he stinks of cowgry, I’d like to have Jokinen on the team.Another depth center may cover a bet or two.

Totally agree – he would be my number 1 target – 5.5 for 2 yrs – he can play on either the 2nd or 3rd line

58. Romulus Apotheosis says:

They are doing the full roll out on Schultz… lots of tweets of him signing jerseys and whatnot.

59. Gret99zky says:

Plus the Battle of Alberta is ours from now on.

Jokinen will be a nice salty balm to the Calgary wound.

60. remember reijo says:

In a thin ass UFA year for talent….This might be the only time Hemsky gets a return an Oiler fan can atleast choke down. Still want to see atleast half a season with the forwards we have though.

61. Bos8 says:

Unless they’re planning to move Hall to center, Hemsky gets to play with Horc again, oh joy. If you love Hemsky, set him free. He’s suffered enough.

62. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Circling back to Jok. The tsn boys are arguing over him going to Winnipeg and whether Iginla spotted him a lot of points.

Crawford also gave the Wideman deal the huge diss… I usually don’t like Crawford… but he made me smile there… I guess people can redeem themselves ;)

63. Professor Q says:

He did well in Florida though…

64. Gret99zky says:

Fuzzy britches talking Carle, Parros, and Doan.

65. Gret99zky says:

Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

Oilers have also talked to Tootoo who is interested in Edm

This sounds like a possibility.

66. Gret99zky says:

I hope the price is right for getting Methot out of Columbus.

Is it possible to go 4 for 4? Schultz, Smyth, Danis, Methot for beans?

67. matmik says:

Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

Oilers have offered Omark and Plante for Methot

Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

Bluejackets Oilers close to a deal

no complaints if thats the deal

68. RENNAVATE says:

matmik:
    Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

Oilers have offered Omark and Plante for Methot

Tracy ‏@TreenasOil

Bluejackets Oilers close to a deal

no complaints if thats the deal

Yeah, I would be happy with Omark/Plante for Methot. Although I’ll still be sad to see Linus go.

69. Professor Q says:

What about Campoli? I was thinking about him the past few days. Kenopka in Minnesota :s

70. nathan says:

it’s the smmer of another one!