OILERS SIGN YANN DANIS

I’m fine with this deal, offers the team some insurance and based on Danis’ AHL season in 11-12 he certainly could supplant Khabibulin as backup.

THE SHOPPING LIST

1. A top pairing defenseman capable of delivering big minutes at evens and at least one of PK and PP. 20+ overall. The range of player rumors in this category is vexing. Marc Methot is not going to fill this role, but he is rumored to be the player headed here. Bryan Allen and Mark Streit have also been rumored to Edmonton.
  2. A better Renney. I think yesterday was a very big day for Krueger. Based on reports, the key moments in the Schultz negotiations came when the new coach gave his vision and Schultz plus Hall started riffing on the possibilities. I imagine an Allman Brothers-style jam session that resulted in absolute magic. Can’t wait to see the vision on the ice.
  3. Justin Schultz or similar. Huge item for the Oilers. Should he emerge as a top 4, 35+ point defenseman who can handle reasonable opposition and remain in the black, Edmonton’s hard work this past week will sustain them for a decade on the blue. Brilliant.
  4. An established 2-way winger to mentor the young players who will compete for bottom 6 roles (Lander, Hartikainen, Pitlick, etc). Winnik is my choice here, but the Oilers may have someone else in mind. I always say Pisani but maybe this man is a center.
  5. Ryan Smyth or similar. The extra year was the issue but the price tag is excellent. I think those who believe Smyth’s value to this team is low badly misunderstand what he can do for this team. They need to back off his special team minutes but this is a quality signing. Beauty
  6. A reasonable goaltending option for the Khabibulin free fall. Danis is a solid option, his .924SP with the Barons a year ago was safely inside the AHL’s top 10 and he gives the club excellent insurance. A solid signing.
  7. Get the rfa’s signed. Did a good job qualifying, but the Oilers often trade kids in this situation and Gagner isn’t out of the woods yet. Happy Omark was qualified, doubt he plays as an Oiler again.
  8. Crust. I added this one because Edmonton clearly plans on upgrading the Eager/Hordichuk group from a year ago. Names I’ve seen are Tootoo and Parros.

229 Responses to "OILERS SIGN YANN DANIS"

« Older Comments
  1. Ryan says:

DBO,

See my post above. You’re making fun of it now. Will you be when the fab four are missing games due to injury? Or maybe we can just chalk it up to them being injury prone.

2. Traktor says:

jb: Not quite.. so you believe Eberle would have put up the same numbers playing tough minutes beside Horcoff all year?

Its not even close.

The advanced stats talk is just a gimmick for bloggers to convinced themselves that they know more about the game than they actually do.

That’s not a shot at LT. I come here because of he is a good writer not because of his stats expertise.

3. Traktor says:

This money is stupid. Prust? Tell me he’s $1.4M better a year than Eager. Wow. I hope the Oilers do sign Hordichuk and then grab another defender via trade before going home after a good day’s work.

Parros might be $3M after these numbers, and lord knows the price on Tootoo.

I told you it would be stupid today.

I quite fine with doing nothing.

I would take Prust at 2.5 over Belanger at 1.75 though. The 4 years would be a nonstarter for me though.

4. DBO says:

Ryan,

sarcasm? can’t find your post, but I’ll assume you mentioned need for toughness. I like Prust, just not at $2.5 mill. That’s crazy money.. We do need toughness and grit, I agree, but need it in top 9, not our 4th line.

5. jonrmcleod says:

Anyone here follow @HockeyyInsiderr? He called the Prust signing quite a while ago. Someone tried to tell me he was a former NHLer. Not sure if he has any credibility or not.

6. DBO says:

zanon signs with Colorado. Would have liked him as a depth guy

7. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Point of order re: Eberle/Hemsky

it was Dellow that really pushed the Eberle is being sheltered argument:

I think it makes sense to compare Eberle/Hemsky. They play the same position on the same team after all. What I find objectionable, however, is the way in which this conversation devolves into a stupid either/or, gun to the head “who would you take” situation.

There is no reason you can’t acknowledge the qualities (good and bad) of both players with a little nuance. It doesn’t have to be 1 = awesome; 2 = terrible

8. OilClog says:

Why are people dumping on Hemsky so much, the man has only given us his best years. Was the only scoring threat we had for what 4-5yrs? Until the super kids came into play. But they’re new and shiny, toss out the old Hemsky that’s not even 30 yet! What a bum. We trade Hemsky, that’s one large hole to fill. And not that I want Jagr as a Oiler, but if Hemmer isn’t here Jagr will never sign here.

Traktor: Given the exact same cap hit I would expect every single GM would take Eberle over Hemsky.

Its not even close.

Of course everyone would take Eberle over Hemsky, but that doesn’t mean you throw Eberle to the wolves. He had a wonderful season in 12-13, but it included mega offensive zone starts and a push qual comp when possible.

Hemsky is very valuable to the Oilers. He really is.

10. FPB94 says:

LT: Agreed on Prust being overpaid. But we just signed Colby Armstrong at 1M$ so i guess it balances out.

A third line of Prust-Eller-Armstrong is mighty fine.

11. Traktor says:

Nobody is saying Hemsky is a bad player.

Some of us realize though that the team isn’t perfectly constructed and Omark isn’t going to net you a top 4D.

Its like having 9 really good left handed hitters. Maybe you choose the best 5 or 6 and then trade for few good right handed bats.

Traktor:
    Nobody is saying Hemsky is a bad player.

I understand that, and also understand Omark’s value is below Methot’s. I’m saying I wouldn’t do it, but we know the Oilers will add size before the summer is over.

But I don’t think you deal an excellent leadoff hitter for a utilty infielder, and that’s what Methot looks like. It looks like he was Jan Hejda’s D partner once upon a time and that’s about it.

13. Noodles says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@NHL_Oilers

‪#Oilers‬ agree to terms with forward Darcy Hordichuk on a one-year contract

14. copperblueandwhite says:

Oilers up Hordichuk…great

15. FPB94 says:

Exactly. It’s like when moms buy everything on rebate. Even if it’s not edible.

16. lazerguidedmelody says:

Hordichuk signed, as per Nielson

17. Traktor says:

Noodles:
    Edmonton Oilers ‏@NHL_Oilers

‪#Oilers‬ agree to terms with forward Darcy Hordichuk on a one-year contract

Not everyone agrees on the need for toughness but I think everyone agreed Hordichuk isn’t the player Edmonton needed.

At least they only signed him for 1 year.

18. Cactus says:

I know you keep lamenting how Omark is undervalued and how he was ruined by this team. But please answer me this: where would you play him this year? What would he add over others such as Hartikainen or Pajaarvi?

19. Professor Q says:

So…Hordichuk means no TooToo?

20. Traktor says:

Who is the lucky center to play with Horty and Lenny?

21. FPB94 says:

Traktor,

Someone who’s probably never played center since pee-wee.

Cactus:

I know you keep lamenting how Omark is undervalued and how he was ruined by this team.But please answer me this: where would you play him this year?What would he add over others such as Hartikainen or Pajaarvi?

23. jb says:

"Steve Smith": No, he thinks that Eberle would have put up better numbers playing equivalent minutes (i.e. amount, toughness, quality of teammates) than Hemsky.You’re shifting the target, DSF-style.

It’s possible… and even likely.. I just think Hemsky is criminally under-rated nowadays. He’s never had the luxury of being sheltered like Eberle.

Not trying to take anything away from Eberle here. I just don’t like the fact that all of Smyth, Horcoff, and Hemsky are deemed expendable because of the recent youth movement.

Hemsky IS that perennial 70 point guy with sheltered minutes… I think people greatly underrate the difficulty of playing vs the top competition regularly.

24. Cactus says:

Lowetide: He is more skilled than either. Paajarvi has advantages as a player away from the puck, Hartikainen has advantages over both because he has size and skill.

I’m not sold that he’s certainly more skilled than Paajarvi. Omark seems to have a bit more touch around the net, but he sacrifices size, defensive game and foot speed for that. That’s at best a saw-off.

The Oilers have all of 1 position in their top 6 next year, assuming that Hemsky plays with Smyth and Horcoff (if he doesn’t then there are simply no openings). I can’t see that Omark would add more in that role, but unless he makes it with another NHL team, we won’t know for sure (current sample size is simply too small).

Cactus: I’m not sold that he’s certainly more skilled than Paajarvi.Omark seems to have a bit more touch around the net, but he sacrifices size, defensive game and foot speed for that.That’s at best a saw-off.

The Oilers have all of 1 position in their top 6 next year, assuming that Hemsky plays with Smyth and Horcoff (if he doesn’t then there are simply no openings).I can’t see that Omark would add more in that role, but unless he makes it with another NHL team, we won’t know for sure (current sample size is simply too small).

Please understand, I’m not saying play him in front of Paajarvi or Hartikainen. I’m saying that he has value, and the Oilers should have qualified him (and as it turned out they did qualify him). Omark himself says he doubts his future in EDM and I agree.

He does have value, though.

26. FPB94 says:

Cactus,

Good lord. Take Horcoff off the top 6.

27. DSF says:

Taylor Chorney ‏@tchorney41

Couldn’t be more pumped about heading back to St Louis. What a fun day. @OSH74 #blues #nelly

28. Dipstick says:

Good for Chorney. He deserves a chance to play in the NHL. He acted professionally. He no longer fit in here.

« Older Comments