OILERS SIGN YANN DANIS

I’m fine with this deal, offers the team some insurance and based on Danis’ AHL season in 11-12 he certainly could supplant Khabibulin as backup.

THE SHOPPING LIST

1. A top pairing defenseman capable of delivering big minutes at evens and at least one of PK and PP. 20+ overall. The range of player rumors in this category is vexing. Marc Methot is not going to fill this role, but he is rumored to be the player headed here. Bryan Allen and Mark Streit have also been rumored to Edmonton.
  2. A better Renney. I think yesterday was a very big day for Krueger. Based on reports, the key moments in the Schultz negotiations came when the new coach gave his vision and Schultz plus Hall started riffing on the possibilities. I imagine an Allman Brothers-style jam session that resulted in absolute magic. Can’t wait to see the vision on the ice.
  3. Justin Schultz or similar. Huge item for the Oilers. Should he emerge as a top 4, 35+ point defenseman who can handle reasonable opposition and remain in the black, Edmonton’s hard work this past week will sustain them for a decade on the blue. Brilliant.
  4. An established 2-way winger to mentor the young players who will compete for bottom 6 roles (Lander, Hartikainen, Pitlick, etc). Winnik is my choice here, but the Oilers may have someone else in mind. I always say Pisani but maybe this man is a center.
  5. Ryan Smyth or similar. The extra year was the issue but the price tag is excellent. I think those who believe Smyth’s value to this team is low badly misunderstand what he can do for this team. They need to back off his special team minutes but this is a quality signing. Beauty
  6. A reasonable goaltending option for the Khabibulin free fall. Danis is a solid option, his .924SP with the Barons a year ago was safely inside the AHL’s top 10 and he gives the club excellent insurance. A solid signing.
  7. Get the rfa’s signed. Did a good job qualifying, but the Oilers often trade kids in this situation and Gagner isn’t out of the woods yet. Happy Omark was qualified, doubt he plays as an Oiler again.
  8. Crust. I added this one because Edmonton clearly plans on upgrading the Eager/Hordichuk group from a year ago. Names I’ve seen are Tootoo and Parros.

229 Responses to "OILERS SIGN YANN DANIS"

Newer Comments »
  1. SoxandOil says:

This is great news. Yann deserves some NHL games too though this year. Goal seems to be set for today / this season.

I hope Kreuger is working the phones today. At least one more defenseman and some role playing forwards please.

Happy Canada Day!

2. Archie says:

Like this signing. LT I disagree about getting a D, would rather let some of your prospects play. They also have Peckham, who is a better option then Methot IMO.

3. jfry says:

do we know $ and term? also, happy canada day everyone!

4. jfry says:

i’m still hoping that theodore squeezes out of FLA. i’d like him over rekhab

Archie: Methot was certainly not my choice, but he’s been heavily rumored

6. rich says:

A good all around start for v4.0 (MacT). Smyth on a reasonable term and Danis as insurance for a broken down Russian.

So far so good.

7. Archie says:

I understand some media people think if the Oilers get another D they could make the playoffs. That’s not going to happen unless they fix the size problem in their top 6. Over a 7 game series, Edmonton doesn’t have a chance against bigger teams like Canucks or the Kings.

8. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Man Ray Ferraro and Pierre are hilarious… Ferraro keeps swatting down Pierre’s nonsense

9. DBO says:

So with Tambellini telling media that there is as much available on the trade front as UFA’s, who do they target? O expect a Dman, just hope we don’t blow it up. WOuld we be happy with Hemsky for Tyutin? Or is that too much of a step back? If yo make that deal then add Colby Armstrong, are you a better team?

If they’re trading Hemsky it better be an outstanding defenseman, that’s all I’m saying.

11. DBO says:

Agreed. Would Tyutin fit? Doubt it. Howson may be only guy to pay close to full value on Hemsky since he’s seen him good.

Well I like Tyuton plenty even with the contract, but value Hemsky highly.

13. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Well I like Tyuton plenty even with the contract, but value Hemsky highly.

This. on both counts.

14. Archie says:

If they want to trade Hemsky and get value they’ll have to play him and that means him getting top 6 minutes.

15. DBO says:

Monster signs in Detroit. 2 years $1.5 mill per. Solid for Wings. They are just good.

16. Ryan says:

Was talking with Mr. Katz today and this is what he had to say to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9G18qHPhcM

17. Doug McLachlan says:

David Moss to PHX is good for them (poor Doan insurance).

Probably decreases a Yandle availability.

Don’t want to move Hemsky+ but could he get Marleau+Demers from San Jose?

18. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Ryan:
    Was talking with Mr. Katz today and this is what he had to say to me:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9G18qHPhcM

I was talking to to Jok today, here’s what he said:

(oop, oop…)

19. Cactus says:

Well I like Tyuton plenty even with the contract, but value Hemsky highly.

Agreed, but let’s not freak out too much. Hemsky’s been rumoured before and hasn’t gone anywhere. They would’ve moved him at the deadline if they got the return they wanted. That they didn’t indicates that they don’t have an overly low value on him.

No player is untradeable. I’d happily trade Jordan Eberle – if the return was a signed Weber. The Oilers are doing a good job through June – let’s cut them a little slack.

20. Archie says:

Ryan Rishaug is out to lunch when he mention that the Oilers would trade Hemsky for Hammer or Methot.

21. DBO says:

Hemsky for Stafford? Would anyone do it? Balances out our top 9 and adds some size. Lose skill though. MAn would be hard to deal hemsky

22. Archie says:

DBO:

Would pass on Stafford, takes too many nights off.

23. Kris11 says:

The only deal that sort of makes sense to me is Hemsky for Bouwmeester.

I don’t kmow if I like that deal. And I know it won’t happen. But it would help both clubs immensely in areas that they need help. Calgary would get a tough minutes forward who really passes and play makes., He adds offense and can free up Iginla for easier minutes. Edmonton would get the D-man they need. I’m guessing Edmonon would have to add to the deal for a variety of reasons:Hemsky’ s injuries, D-men are worth more in general, etc.

24. DBO says:

Or what about Hemsky for Umberger? Save some money. Tough gritty LW with 20-25 goals and he sticks up for teammates. Be a perfect fit on the 2nd line

25. Cactus says:

What about Plante and Omark for Methot? That’s the latest unconfirmed rumour out of ol’ Treena. I don’t put any stock in it, but that’s the kind of price that I’m certainly okay with.

I know we all love Eberle and Yakupov, but Hemsky can face the toughs and come out well, those younger guys need to develop before taking on the difficult minutes. The 2-year deal is a nice transition. Eberle would have a different season as #1 RW imo.

27. Cactus says:

Oh, and the following should be required reading for anyone before praising or condemning any signing:

28. DBO says:

Agreed, but he just keeps getting mentioned. If we can get Methot for prospects not names the Musil, Klefbom, Gernat or Mairincin then great. Keep Hesmky dammit, Why are we scared of 3 actual lines

29. Ducey says:

I am fine with DD, Bulin, Danis, Roy, Bunz. One of the latter three will likely be ready by the trade deadline, allowing the Oilers to then flip Bulin for a pick.

I am worried about trading Hemsky after his brutal year. Its going to be hard to get good value.

30. PunjabiOil says:

Coles notes on Mehot?

Can he play as a 2nd pairing?

31. BlacqueJacque says:

I know we all love Eberle and Yakupov, but Hemsky can face the toughs and come out well, those younger guys need to develop before taking on the difficult minutes. The 2-year deal is a nice transition. Eberle would have a different season as #1RW imo.

I think that argument about sums it up for me.

Also, if you look at his contract relative to the cap, it’s a reasonable gamble.

32. Archie says:

Methot is a salary dump with Columbus and some media people think the Oilers could get him cheap, do you pay a 3rd pairing D 3mil a year and that has a 50/50 chance of not making the team.

33. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That’s cheap for Methot. I’d still rather put my energy into something more impactful.

Hemsky… he is constantly undervalued by people. He can play the toughs despite his “body language”

if he gets traded we better get immense value and hope Eberle’s exposure to the crunch goes better than expected.

34. Gret99zky says:

I sincerely hope the Oilers have set their sights higher than Marc Methot.

Unless it costs them Peckham.

35. Cactus says:

Well, if they’re looking to trade Hemsky to Columbus, then maybe they can get Jeff Carter in the exchange. Good tough minutes centre that we could desparately need.

36. DBO says:

konopka to wild for 2 yrs. likes him as a 4th line option. OUr Div getting tougher. Expect coke machines to the Oil soon

37. Gret99zky says:

No to Hemsky trade for me. I don’t want to have to go through that again.

38. Jesse says:

Cactus,

You know Carter just won a cup with LA right?

39. Rondo says:

It would seem to me with the Oilers new line up , Hemsky and Gagner should have better numbers this year and the price goes up for them.

40. DBO says:

LAtendresse in Ottawa for physical. That would be a solid signing. Lots of upside if his head is right. WOuld be nice to see him here as a 2LW option.

41. Gret99zky says:

Is Columbus a good trading partner for us?

42. Wolfie says:

I wonder if the Jagr rumours are true. Would it be better to keep or trade Hemsky if you can get JJ?

43. Gret99zky says:

Keep Hemsky.

44. Romulus Apotheosis says:

I think the tsn roundtable just picked the bones off Semin… they literally left nothing on that guy…

“body language” experts doing their thing once more.

45. Cactus says:

Jesse:
    Cactus,

You know Carter just won a cup with LA right?

I don’t know how to respond to this without sounding overly sarcastic and mean, so I’ll simply say yes, I am aware.

The bigger point is that a strong centre on a good contract is exactly the sort of return I’d be looking for. A top 2-3 defenceman would also be worthwhile, but I’m hesitant to take on a bad contract there.

46. gd says:

I think Tyutin is worth it for the Oil to 1) mentor for Yak, 2) overpaid but legit top 4, so probably cost very little 3) Katz can afford to bury him in OKC ala Redden when his contract becomes a problem and he might then go to the KHL then.

Much better than Methot.

47. Archie says:

ESPN is reporting that the Oilers have signed Chris Campoli, any truth to it.

48. Smarmy says:

Romulus Apotheosis:

“body language” experts doing their thing once more.

I think he’s getting a bum rap but both Macguire and Ferraro do sit between the benches during the games and probably see and hear all kinds of things on that bench. Plus Semin does seem like a donkey whose tail keeps falling off at random times.

49. DBO says:

campoli. really. that wold be interesting.

50. DBO says:

colby armstrong to Montreal. Nice pick up if it’s low money.

51. Archie says:

DBO,

Sounds like 1mil/yr

52. DBO says:

$1 mill is a great deal.

53. Cactus says:

Latendresse to Ottawa as well, $1.2M. Seems like the injury risks are flying fast and for low dollars.

54. Gret99zky says:

Campoli? Fernando must have made the call if it plays out that way.

55. Smarmy says:

If they’d flush Khabby would people like a guy like Hedberg for a backup?

56. Ribs says:

Campoli wouldn’t make much sense. Doubt it.

57. Cactus says:

Ray Whitney to Dallas for $9M over 2 years. Yikes.

58. Archie says:

Ray Whitney signs with Dal 2yr/9mil

59. Gret99zky says:

Aaron Ward‏@aaronward_nhl

Ray Whitney agreed to terms w/ Dallas Stars at $9 million over 2 years. It is $4 million salary and $500000 in bonuses each year

Holy crap. That’s a lot of cheddar.

60. DBO says:

Ribs:
    Campoli wouldn’t make much sense. Doubt it.

I know the Oil have made 3 smart moves so far, but history tells us….

61. Ducey says:

Campoli is no better than Potter, maybe worse.

62. Professor Q says:

Latendresse to Ottawa

63. Romulus Apotheosis says:

That Whitney deal is big… 2 years??? I’m kind of glad we stayed away.

Semin… I get it. He isn’t a “character” guy and he doesn’t seem to backcheck. yadayada

but man… he scores goals in the NHL. How do they so thoroughly ignore that, like it’s nothing?

64. Archie says:

DBO: I know the Oil have made 3 smart moves so far, but history tells us….

Kevin Lowe must be involved

65. Professor Q says:

Archie,

And that new guy…what’s his name…

66. Archie says:

With Ray Whitney leaving Phoenix, does Phoenix become a good trading partner with Edmonton concerning Gagner.

67. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Campoli doesn’t seem to be much of anything… deep, deep into the depth?

68. "Steve Smith" says:

jfry,

Per TSN, 1 year and $775K. Not sure if it’s one- or two- way (I’d guess one-), but I don’t think it much matters to anybody but Danis and Katz.

69. Professor Q says:

Oilers go with skill, the rest of the NW division teams reply by stacking up on tough guys and goons…

70. DBO says:

Archie,

Or Hemsky if the smoke means fire. Hemsky and a prospect for Yandle? Don’t like it, but wouldn’t be shocked by it.

Professor Q:

Great! Oilers will lead the league inPP goals.

72. Ribs says:

I think Phoenix might be dead. Expecting mass exodus today.

73. Ducey says:

Professor Q:

I would think the Oilers are hot after Parros…

74. Gret99zky says:

Olli Jokinen please.

2 years @ $7 million.

Make it so.

75. Archie says:

I seem to remember last year the refs ate their whistles with the Oilers, remember Renney and his comment about the league and the LA kings

76. Ducey says:

2 hours of nothing so far.

Archie:

I seem to remember last year the refs ate their whistles with the Oilers, remember Renney andhis comment about the league and the LA kings

You have to get players who can actually play. From what I’ve seen the NW is loading up on enforcer types, well and Zanopka can win faceoffs. Last I checked Oilers still had Eager, who was supposed to change the world a year ago.

78. DBO says:

I don’t expect much for a bit for the Oil since they seem to be focused on trades. Those usually shake out later in the day

The Oilers should hold off on the centre this summer. Malkin will be on the market next summer like Jordan Staal was this summer.

If you build it, Malkin will come.

80. Gret99zky says:

Ryan Rishaug‏@TSNRyanRishaug

Contrary to some reports, Justin Schultzs parents do not have Canucks season tickets. #tsn

Vancouver propaganda. Luckily flyers dropped from airplanes make a good fire starter.

81. DSF says:

Gret99zky:
    Aaron Ward‏@aaronward_nhl

Holy crap.That’s a lot of cheddar.

Whitney has averaged 22 goals and 66 points over the past 5 seasons.

That’ll get you $4M a year all day long everywhere.

82. Archie says:

Steve MacIntyre is out of the picture, signs with Pittsburgh

83. DBO says:

What about Prust then? At least he can kill penalties as well as take a regular shift and hits a ton. Be a perfect 4th liner for us.

84. Rondo says:

Would you trade Hemsky for Mark Streit ?

85. Cactus says:

Archie:
    Steve MacIntyre is out of the picture, signs with Pittsburgh

Glad to see he got a 2 year deal, even if it’s 2-way. Good guy. I’m glad we’re not trying to play him anymore, but it’s nice to see someone paying him.

86. Archie says:

Rondo,

With the Oilers getting Schultz, Streit is not a option anymore.

87. DBO says:

Boyes signs a 1 yr $1 mill deal fr the Rags. Wow. Solid deal for the money.

88. Professor Q says:

Gret99zky,

I mean, he grew up an Oilers fan, so it seems unlikely his parents were hardcore Canucks fans. But stranger things have happened (most of my family are Leafs fans…)

Rondo:
    Would you trade Hemsky for Mark Streit ?

Mark Streit and Josh Bailey.

90. DBO says:

sorry, was it the Isles?

91. "Steve Smith" says:

On another note (since free agency day’s been a bit of a snoozer):

I haven’t seen any commentary about the first post-glory days Oiler being admitted to the HHOF. Think he’ll go in in Oilers’ silks?

92. Professor Q says:

"Steve Smith",

Smyth?

93. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Gret99zky,

Vancouver propaganda.Luckily flyers dropped from airplanes make a good fire starter.

just popped in to post that… It would seem a lot of empty talk about this kid got flown around. Seems like a stand-up kid too… shame.

lol. Oates?

95. DSF says:

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

Konopka tells me if Koivu & Heatley want to sit down and read the paper at center ice, they should be able to w/o anyone touching em #mnwild

96. Romulus Apotheosis says:

"Steve Smith",

Oates?

no way… which team he picks will be interesting though.

97. Professor Q says:

I know, I was just being silly. I actually asked a similar Q a few days ago about the Oilers retiring 77…but realized how silly the Q was when I was berated about Tom Gilbert :P

98. wordbird says:

Riley Holzapfel is off the market as well. DAMMIT!

99. Ribs says:

I wonder if Ponikarovsky would be a good pickup. Thoughts?

100. Ryan says:

Pending trades / signings

We’re looking at

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-Hartikinen/PRV-Yakupov
    Horcoff-Smyth-Hemsky
    Belanger-Eager-Jones

Thoughts…

Line 1: done.
    Line 2: I’d like an upgrade on Gagner or a legit 2LW with some size / two way play. As much as I’d like an upgrade on Gagner, in the back of my mind I still have memories of Gagner jailbreaking hands of stone Cogliano.
    Line 3: Former #1 line for the Oilers. Lots of years playing together. No physical presence and the Comrade is on a decline. Hemsky on the 3rd is hard to wrap your head around, but it could be a solid hard minutes line.
    Line 4: Can someone convince me that there will be 15 teams in the league with a better 4rth line than Belanger-Eager-Jones? I’d rather run with this line and focus on getting a legit 2 LW or upgrade on Gagner.

Ribs:
    I wonder if Ponikarovskywould be a good pickup. Thoughts?

Can you count to 50 contracts?

102. Marc says:

Gret99zky:
    Olli Jokinen please.

2 years @ $7 million.

Make it so.

Jokinen was the 19th highest scoring center in the league last season, ahead of Weiss, Getzlaf, O’Reilly, Plekanec, Stasny and Legwand. He’s also probably the best center available in free agency this year.

I doubt he’s going anywhere for less than $5M per season

103. Ducey says:

Archie:
    Steve MacIntyre is out of the picture, signs with Pittsburgh

He will be on the waiver wire in September if you want him.

Ribs:
    I wonder if Ponikarovskywould be a good pickup. Thoughts?

Like him, haven’t looked too closely though.

105. DBO says:

Ribs,

Doesn’t PK. but he hits, he has size and decent hands. And a russian to babysit Yak is prob a good idea. He could fit on the 2 LW

106. Ryan says:

Marc,

Jokinen would be a stellar signing.

From what I can recall, he seemed to still have plus foot speed even at his age.

If it’s a 2 year deal, then it’s harmless in terms of cap vs fab four contracts. Throw some money at him.

Professor Q:

Ah gotcha.

108. Archie says:

Ducey: He will be on the waiver wire in September if you want him.

But but but who will babysit the KID

109. Gret99zky says:

Jokinen. 2 years $5.5M per year. We need center depth and Belanger/Gagner + could be packaged to get the D done.

Just sayin. It’s only a 300km move for Olli the Oiler.

110. jfry says:

rumours on calgary sports radio is that joki wanted 5 years at $5m per.

I know…it sounds ridiculous. he was also junk down the stretch, for what it’s worth.

111. Ryan says:

Lowetide: Like him, haven’t looked too closely though.

I asked black dog about him during Penner’s run for team Canada’s Olypmic squad. IIRC, black dog said that he’s solid 2 way, big but not particularly physical and puts up points. That was back in the Quinn years though. Expect some decline.

112. Ryan says:

jfry,

Jokinen is not well regarded in Calgary from what I understand. However, he was playing the toughest QOC in the league on a basement squad without much support.

In Edmonton, he would have a different role

113. Professor Q says:

DBO,

Ponikarovsky is Ukrainian

114. Ribs says:

So it sounds like Ponikarovsky could possibly be a fit for LT’s #4 bullet point. Interesting.

115. DBO says:

Professor Q,

My bad. Sorry to insult the Ukranian crowd. Doesn’t he play for russia in tourneys?

116. Geoffster says:

On the RDS special they said Jagr is going to either Edmonton and Montreal. My French might be rusty though.

117. DBO says:

Nope. just looked, he played for Ukraine.

118. jfry says:

Ryan,

every fan of the flames down here says that jokinen was the best forward on the squad last year. not many (rational) fans would say otherwise.

i agree that there seems to be some friction though. the locker room sounds like it was a bunch of egos. shoulda kept dion.

119. DSF says:

Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown

Already 27 signings today, although that number’s a little inflated since half of them have been Matt Carkner.

120. Thinker says:

I want to look at either jason arnott or maybe oli jokinen as 3line center. Big, strong, veteran, two way center with good faceoff capability. Don’t know that either would like shift in role, but they would look damn good in copper and blue. Also like allen + a top four dman but that really starts to cloud the bottom of the depth chart.

121. Gret99zky says:

5 years for Olli the Oiler is too much.

2 years max and no more than $5.5M.

3 years $13M I do that.

122. DSF says:

Incarcerated Bob ‏@incarceratedbob

**BREAKING NHL NEWS**Source: Preds “D-Man” Suter has narrowed his choices down to 3 teams : Flyers / Red Wings / Darkhorse #Canucks

123. DBO says:

no to Jokinen. Just say no.

124. Cactus says:

I’m still waiting for the other shoe to drop with teams like Florida. There’s a lot of money out there that HAS to be spent for some teams to hit the floor of $54M. I wonder if we’ll see some big overpays later today.

125. DBO says:

Cactus,

The isles need tons. They will be this years Florida. Could be a bowmeester landing spot

126. Gret99zky says:

DBO:
    no to Jokinen. Just say no.

stick with Belanger, Horcoff, Gagner, and Lander right?

The Oilers already have 2 centres well over 30. They don’t need a 3rd one on a retirement contract. Jokinen played reasonably well in a contract year. Only a sucker or a team needing to reach the cap floor is going to offer him real dollars.

Any contract to Jokinen would eliminate the Oilers ability to participate in the Malkin auction next summer.

128. copperblueandwhite says:

godot10,

Trade a few pylons for draft picks.. .50 contract problem solved

129. DBO says:

Gret99zky,

Not saying we shouldn’t consider an upgrade. Just not him. I do not like Jokinen.

130. Doug McLachlan says:

Ribs,

That might make a lot of sense.

I’m also wanting to beat the drum on Patrick Marleau. San Jose wants a “culture change” and he would be an underrated center. I like Gagner but think he needs a change of scenery.

They’re trying to add big grit and crust, bet the list now includes Parros, Tootoo via UFA and Methot, Dorsett, and other types via trade from what we’re reading.

132. Cactus says:

DBO:
    Cactus,

Actually, the Isles should be all right. They already have 10F, 6D and 2G for $47M in cap commitments. The DiPietro contract and Yashin buyout help them a bunch.

Once they fill out their roster, they should be fine. Anaheim and Nashville will have work to do, especially if Bobby Ryan leaves and Suter can’t be resigned. And who the hell knows what’s going on in Phoenix these days.

133. Cactus says:

godot10,

Pittsburgh will give Malkin a lifetime contract. He’ll be sticking around there. The Oilers would never be in any UFA bidding for him given the flood of young talent they have.

If they’re not in on a guy like Suter now, they’re certainly not going after Malkin.

134. DBO says:

Jokinenn is not enough of an upgrade on Gagner. Huge – player. Played top end minutes. yes he did it well, but considering we’ll need to pay him $2 mill more then Gagner, he is much older does not kill penalties and is as shitty as Gagner on the dot. How is that a huge improvement? Gagner will get sheltered minutes with top end wingers this year. He will get 60 pts, which at this point is a high water mark for Jokinen, but for $2 mill less.

135. jonrmcleod says:

Archie,

You said make the playoffs, not win a series.

136. jonrmcleod says:

Is Methot an improvement over Peckham?

137. Gret99zky says:

Jokinen:

2011 gp79 g17 a37 pts54
    2012 gp82 g23 a38 pts61

I like his chance of pushing Horcoff and Belanger down the line-up.

Cactus:
    godot10,

Pittsburgh will give Malkin a lifetime contract.He’ll be sticking around there.The Oilers would never be in any UFA bidding for him given the flood of young talent they have.

Pittsburgh offered Jordan Staal effectively a lifetime contract also. Doesn’t work if the player refuses to sign it.

Malkin will pull a Jordan Staal next summer.

139. Archie says:

jonrmcleod,

I know, still recovering from a Eskimo hangover.

140. Cactus says:

godot10: Pittsburgh offered Jordan Staal effectively a lifetime contract also.Doesn’t work if the player refuses to sign it.

Malkin will pull a Jordan Staal next summer.

The thing about Staal though is that he was bumped to #3 time because of Crosby and Malkin. In addition to seeking more offensive playing time, he wanted to play with his brother in Carolina.

What would motivate Malkin in this manner? I just don’t see it.

Cactus: The thing about Staal though is that he was bumped to #3 time because of Crosby and Malkin.In addition to seeking more offensive playing time, he wanted to play with his brother in Carolina.

What would motivate Malkin in this manner?I just don’t see it.

Might not Malkin want to be the #1 guy somewhere and be out of Sidney’s shadow.

142. Archie says:

Filip Kuba 2yr/8mil Panthers, things are getting ridiculous

Tallon the great Kuba 2 year and 4M per. Wow. Like that player but….

144. Traktor says:

Since Gagner entered the league he has averaged 47 points per 82. Jokinen is averaging 57 over the same time span.

He wouldn’t be my first choice when it comes to addressing Edmonton’s center position but he is better than Gagner, Horcoff and Belanger.

I would try to trade for Dubinsky. He has a much wider range of skills than Gagner and his career high in goals and points is better than Gagner as well.

Gagner ++ to CBus
    Nash to NY
    Dubinsky to Edmonton

145. Cactus says:

Kuba, 2 years, $4M per to Florida. THERE’S the overpays we’ve been waiting for.

146. Lewko says:

godot10,

Why? Does he have a brother he wants to play with too?

147. SoxandOil says:

Wondering if Fussy Britches could be a member of the “Oil Change” production team…

148. Cactus says:

godot10: Might not Malkin want to be the #1 guy somewhere and be out of Sidney’s shadow.

It’s not impossible to have 1A and 1B centres. Malkin’s not starved for prime minutes and playing time. It’s not like Messier didn’t get to play when Gretzky was here.

Beyond that, there’s no way the Oilers would get him. No point leaving a team with another #1 C and then go to another team with a similar problem. Not saying that RNH is at Crosby’s level (assuming he’s healthy), just that he’ll be deserving of prime minutes as well.

In summary: Malkin has no reason to leave. Edmonton would have nothing to offer if he somehow did.

jonrmcleod:

Is Methot an improvement over Peckham?

150. Ducey says:

Mcguire continues to be an idiot. Dress him up in floral and he’s ready to replace Don Cherry.

The Oilers would do well to hire Ferraro in some capacity.

151. Lucinius says:

Malkin especially has little reason to leave considering Crosby is one bad hit to the head from being done. Not someone’s shadow to be worried about; especially when you’ve elevated yourself as his equal.

152. Lewko says:

Cactus,

What Cactus said.

153. DBO says:

with the Kuba signing, looks like Garrison is leaving. Canucks will make a pitch. Prob the Pens as well. But would Tambo be crazy enough to offer a big deal attached to the same kind of pitch made to Shultz?

Garrison-Shultz
    Smid-Petry
    Whitney-Shultz

Fun times.

154. Ryan says:

Apparently Ray Shero agrees with bloggers like Derek Zona that there’s no place for guys like Tanner Glass, Derek Engelland, Ben Lovejoy, or Steve MacIntyre in the new NHL on a cup contending team.

155. DBO says:

souray to Anaheim. Maybe. Eklund said ti so we doubt

156. Archie says:

Ryan:
    Apparently Ray Shero agrees with bloggers like Derek Zonathat there’s no place for guys like Tanner Glass, Derek Engelland, Ben Lovejoy,or Steve MacIntyre in the new NHL on a cup contending team.

157. DBO says:

rumour is ottawa dealing foligno for methot. from mackenzie, so maybe we can all breathe on the hemsky thing

158. Traktor says:

Ryan:

159. Archie says:

BMckenzie is reporting that Methot might be going to Ottawa for Nick Foligno

160. justDOit says:

Methot rumoured to Ott for Foligno by BobMac. Wow. Just wow!

161. Traktor says:

Archie: The only thing Derek Zonathat understands about hockey is stats, but the actual game he doesn’t have a clue.

162. Ryan says:

Bobby Mac has Methot for Foligno

163. Noodles says:

Thank God.

164. Traktor says:

Amazing trade for Cbus if true.

Ottawa should have just kept Carkner. They offered him 750k then trade a good player for Methot and 3M.

165. DBO says:

penner 1 yr $3 mill plus in LA as per Lebrun

Now I’m worried the Oilers will trade Hemsky to Ottawa for Methot. WHAT DO PEOPLE SEE IN HIM??????????????????????????????????

167. Ribs says:

Garrioch tweets..

Senators deal of Nick Foligno for Columbus D Marc Methot is confirmed. #Sens

168. Captain Obvious says:

Dodged a bullet. Methot is terrible. Great trade for Columbus.

169. Cactus says:

Hahaha. I think we’re safe on that for now, LT.

As I said earlier, Hemsky’s name is always in the mix. The fact that the Oilers HAVEN’T traded him yet means that they’re not trying to rush him out the door.

170. Archie says:

Ottawa needed a replacement for Kuba, and they need some grit with their D. With Edmonton he wasn’t much of a upgrade if any over Sutton and Peckham. IMO Columbus robbed Ottawa.

171. Noodles says:

Big body presence? Thunderous body checks? Eye glow?

172. Traktor says:

I bet Omark doesn’t return a player as good as Foligno.

173. Marc says:

Lowetide: Maybe, but not at $3M and certainly not at the price of Hemsky. I wouldn’t trade Omark for him.

Omark is 25, not an established NHL player, and not one team thought he was worth even a low draft pick at the draft.

I’d deal Omark for Methot in a heartbeat.

174. Traktor says:

Marc: Really? Methot played for Team Canada at the Worlds and is an established veteran NHL Dman.

I’d Omark for Methot in a heartbeat.

Methot must have sideburns.

175. jb says:

Anyone else bothered by the fact that so many Oiler fans see Hemsky as some spare part we should just throw away?

Ridiculous.. We’re talking about one of our top 3 players.. hes been a warrior for years.

I seriously think some fans woulda been happy trading Hemsky for Marc fucking Methot… geez

176. Chris says:

Method traded to Ottawa for Fogliono apparantly.

177. uni says:

Lundin 1 year @ 1 million is a good deal for Ottawa. Edmonton could have used him, seemed to be a top 4 shutdown D in Tampa, wonder what happened to him in Minnie, only 17 games?

178. Chris says:

I really don’t get why teams seem to covet Method. From where I sit he’s an overpaid third pairing defenseman.

179. "Steve Smith" says:

Pancakeburger re-ups with the Kings.

180. uni says:

Chris,

BWAHAHAHHA! 15G 32A 47P Foligno for a bottom pairing 3 million a season d-man? Wow.

181. Traktor says:

jb:

Ridiculous.. We’re talking about one of our top 3 players..

Interesting.

Which one of Hall, Eberle, and RNH is he better than?

I think the Oilers are still out there with bids, Parros, Tootoo and would imagine the club still has irons in the fire for the blueline. Still some nice players available via free agency on D, too.

Having said that, I’m fine if there isn’t a top 4D that suits them shaking loose. Patience is a virtue, and the three moves made in the last 24 hours are very, very good imo.

183. DSF says:

Tallon the great Kuba 2 year and 4M per. Wow. Like that player but….

Filip Kuba: $4M

6G 26A 32P +26

EVPTS – 3G 16A 19P

QC – toughest

TOI/G – 2nd

PPTOI/G 3rd

SHTOI/G – 1st

Nick Shultz : $3.5M

1G 6A 7P -12

EVPTS – 0G 6A 6P

QC – 3rd

TOI/G – 5th

PPTOI/G – 5th

SHTOI/G – 4th

Appears to me that Kuba is far from overpaid.

6’4″ 225 defensemen who play the toughs, come out well ahead and kill penalties don’t grow on trees.

He got a zone start push but was babysitting Karlsson.

Seems to have worked out okay and I imagine Tallon will use him to babysit one of his young studs.

184. jb says:

Traktor: Interesting.

Which one of Hall, Eberle and RNH is he better than?

185. Traktor says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer

Getting questions about Oilers toughness. Could see the Oil re-visiting Hordichuk

lame

186. justDOit says:

Traktor:
    Bob Stauffer‏@Bob_Stauffer

lame

he’ll (edit: be) tougher this year. promise.

187. Traktor says:

jb: We’ll see this year. If Eberle starts drawing the top competition, and Hemsky gets softer minutes away from Horcoff, some Oiler fans will have their worlds turned upside down I believe.

Is that you Zona?

What’s next? Gagner = Bobby Clarke

Traktor:
    Bob Stauffer‏@Bob_Stauffer

lame

Hordichuk getting thrown $700K for one year is a lot less damaging than a 2 or 3 year overpay to Parros or Tootoo. I

189. Ducey says:

Traktor:
    Bob Stauffer‏@Bob_Stauffer

lame

Gee, Bob wanting more toughness. Its been the same script from him for 15 years.

What else would you expect?

190. Dipstick says:

I expect that Hemsky’s value will be higher before the trade deadline. If they play, that is.

191. Cactus says:

godot10: Hordichuk getting thrown $700K for one year is a lot less damaging than a 2 or 3 year overpay to Parros or Tootoo.I

Exactly. If they’ve GOT to have an enforcer, I’d rather take Hordichuk for a 1 year deal than some overpay for a bigger name. Besides, I trust Krueger to either use the big man responsibly, or confine him to the pressbox.

192. "Steve Smith" says:

I hear that the production team behind Community recently hired some bigger bodies…that’s why Dan Harmon is no longer running their show.

193. jb says:

Traktor: Is that you Zona?

What’s next? Gagner = Bobby Clarke

What do you expect from Eberle if he draws the others teams best all year? You don’t think Hemsky would thrive because of it?

194. Ryan says:

Traktor,

It’s easy even for those like myself who venture over to BTN to start pencilling in 3 scoring lines and a softish 4rth line with some utility players like Jones and Belanger. In fact, I already did in an earlier post.

I agree with all here that Smac glaring from the PB is not a deterrent and with Dellow that using draft picks for guys with bottom six ceilings is a losing strategy.

For all of you who do the same, here’s a reminder of our reality:

Drew Doughty blows up Taylor Hall:

Raffi Torres blows up Jordan Eberle:

Cory Sarich hit on Taylor Hall:

Cal Clutterbuck hits Taylor Hall:

Justin Abdelkater huge hit on Taylor Hall:

Ryan Wilson Injures Taylor Hall with Huge Hit:

Alexander Edler Levels Taylor Hall:

Handzus Boards Hemsky:

Dan Boyle levels Jordan Eberle:

Nugent-Hopkins gets run over by Oreskovich

Now who was suggesting Omark should have played on the 4rth line?

It’s easy to discount the value of players who stick up for teammates when only looking at advanced stats.

Is Hemsky injury prone or did he play for a team that let him get run over for a decade?

Obviously one nuclear deterrent doesn’t do the job. You need guys throughout the lineup who can push back and stick up for their teammates IMO.

195. "Steve Smith" says:

jb: Not quite.. so you believe Eberle would have put up the same numbers playing tough minutes beside Horcoff all year?

No, he thinks that Eberle would have put up better numbers playing equivalent minutes (i.e. amount, toughness, quality of teammates) than Hemsky. You’re shifting the target, DSF-style.

196. Traktor says:

Ducey: Gee, Bob wanting more toughness.Its been the same script from him for 15 years.

What else would you expect?

We do need more toughness. We don’t need 2 minute per night players though.

Konopka and Carkner add that and can play a regular shift.

The best option is to move vanilla players (Belanger, Potter, Horcoff, Gagner, Omark) for NHL players that have more sandpaper (Dubinsky, Zach Smith, Prust, Tootoo ect).

197. DBO says:

4 years $10 mill for Prust in MTL. That’s a lot for a 4th liner. If true, guess toughness is vogue right now.

This money is stupid. Prust? Tell me he’s $1.4M better a year than Eager. Wow. I hope the Oilers do sign Hordichuk and then grab another defender via trade before going home after a good day’s work.

Parros might be $3M after these numbers, and lord knows the price on Tootoo.

199. Romulus Apotheosis says:

Huge bullet dodge on Methot.

Big win for CBJs… maybe Howson has some moves afterall?

People dumping on Hemsky and Zona? Color me shocked.

Newer Comments »