RE 12-13: TAYLOR HALL

Taylor Hall is 20 years old and the leader of a group of talented kids on the way to glory. How far they reach may depend a great deal on Taylor Hall’s ability to stay healthy.

RE 12-13: 66gp, 35-32-67

1. That’s a big step forward. He’s the most likely candidate to blossom this season based on all of the evidence available. The Nuge could take a giant leap but based on things we know it’s Hall who will be the first in the group to emerge as an impact player.
  2. Is this based on an 82 game schedule? Yes. 82 games. So if the league only plays 50 games, Hall’s RE would be 40, 21-19-40.
  3. He’s going to miss more games than you’re suggesting. I think Hall will be ready close to opening night, depending on when the idle rich decide to let the workers get back to work. Hall’s a determined soul, as we see from this quote: “I’ve been playing with a pretty bad shoulder for most of this year and I’m excited to see what I can do after it’s fixed.”  Buddy was making a difference last year while suffering through the shoulder problems. Once he’s ready, he’ll play.
  4. How good is he right now? He’s a wonderful player, by eye and number. Hall’s CorsiRel has been team best since he got off the plane and he gives the team excellent offense. His 2.07/60 at 5×5 last season was among the league’s top 70 and he misses so many close putts it seems reasonable to suggest that in his prime Hall is going to be an enormous  5×5 player. His 5×4/60 number was among the league’s top 20.
  5. How could his numbers be better? Health. The only worry I have about Hall is injury. He’s a sublime, beautiful talent, absolute stud. However, he’s bleeding GP by season (38 in two seasons) and his injuries (ankle, shoulder, concussion) include some disconcerting words. I fear EDM may sign him to a long term deal and be left with Wendel Clark-style boxcars in seasons when Stanley beckons. It’s a concern.
  6. What is he good at? Pretty much anything he puts his mind to. Hall’s all reflex with a trigger, and the wide variety of ways he scores is perhaps the most heartening thing of all. He seems to be in the scoring zone all the time–there are times when he touches the puck three times in three different areas of the offensive zone during one sortie–and does a lot of things that put him in the batter’s box often.
  7. What are his top end skills? Speed, shot, effort, reflex, genetics, rubbery quality, balance, passing, quick release. The guy is also driven. Taylor Hall has a helluva motor.
  8. Will they move him to center? A few people (Dennis King, Jason Gregor) have talked about that again in the last few months and it does make some sense for this Oiler team. I think we’ll know a lot more this week. Should they sign Gagner long term then I think Hall stays on LW.
  9. What will Krueger do? I remember an episode of Oil Change where Krueger was assigned the task of finding out how Laddy felt about playing the right side on defense. I think that conversation may well be taking place over the summer (we know Krueger is making his way through the roster). Whatever the outcome, suspect Hall will know his role well before TC.
  10. What else does he bring? This isn’t math related, but the Oilers seem to have more room to move when Hall is out there. Maybe it’s just an observation and has no real use as a weapon, but the guy cuts a swath and has defensemen on their heels when he flies into the zone. I think it might be worth a few easy goals per season for his linemates. I’m very excited about the Eric Tulsky research being applied to Hall and the Oilers–expect to see outstanding possession and zone gain results from #4.
  11. Who should he play with? I’ll say Gagner and Hemsky, but would be curious to see a line featuring Hall-Gagner and either Paajarvi or Hartikainen. One of the ways a team can spread out offense is to find a useful complementary player to go with the impact guys. Having said that, I do think a line of Gagner-Hall-Hemsky is the best bet and have based the Oilers RE numbers on that trio playing a lot together.
  12. Can he score 40? Sure. Healthy, I think he can clear 40 goals for sure.
  13. What can he be? Of all the kids we’ll discuss, I don’t think we can put an outer marker on Hall yet. He could end up being a center and a PP dynamo or maybe he’s an EV strength monster and an outscorer. He’ll tell us. Just stay healthy young man.
  14. What will he do after retiring? Depends on how long he spends in the NHL, but my guess is he’ll be famous enough to choose his second career.
  15. What’s a good nickname, aside from Hallsy? I don’t know, Banker’s Hall, Hall Pass, Chance, Taylor Made, Flow (as in Ebs and), Hall’s Bells. Any ideas?

91 Responses to "RE 12-13: TAYLOR HALL"

1. franksterra says:

Tailor: Taylor

Soldier: Captain Eberle

Spy: The Russian

Gold.

5. franksterra says:

Krueger: Smiley

Shoulder or no, I’m against moving Hall to C.

6. TypeA says:

After many a year lurking, I must respond with great appreciation to all your hard-work Mr. LT. I figure that I must be a good percentage of hits representing your Taiwan contingency. Thanks again to you and all of the regulars here at this wonderful corner of the internet who have provided me hours, nay years of entertainment and knowledge.

Although it is a bit BC-centric, I think Taylor Hall nickname should be “Cyclone Taylor” or just Cyclone. I believe you have used it here before. I t just screams old-time hockey to me.

7. mumbai max says:

It is too obvious.

Cyclone.

8. mumbai max says:

Oops I see TYPEA beat me too it.

Cyclone Talylor

Yes, a great old timee name.

9. franksterra says:

Hmmm, I like it very much. But is it an historical homage, or an out and out ripoff? Doesn’t Taylor deserve his own too?

10. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

LT: can you believe I found myself having to DEFEND Hall to a bunch of commenters on the EJ article about him coaching in the Bantam Tourney? Someone even said the Oilers blew it when they drafted him instead of Seguin and Skinner. I know you can argue Seguin might have been a more prudent choice (not that I believe that myself), but “blew the pick”?! Riiiiiiiight….

Robert Vollman’s Player Usage Charts came in handy there :)

11. hunter1909 says:

Taylor Hall is the hands down leader of the young Oilers.

He attacks the opposition zone like Bobby Hull but without that big shot, instead Hall will buzz around the goal area like a wasp at a Scottish picnic. He’s unstoppable.

Eberle has now made the big jump, and Hall will be next.

Yaks will soon emerge then look out! Has any team in NHL history ever had TWO dynamos like Hall/Yakupov?

Re Wendel Clark: When Clark first came out he was dynamite – but when forced to play virtually as the only good player on a pretty shitty Leaf team, it was perhaps inevitable that injuries would come, given his all out style. Since Oiler’s will have three other under 22 year old superstars, I’d argue that it hardly matters if Hall ends up with a ten year Cam Neely career(with a brace of cup wins).

12. slopitch says:

I’ll just be happy he plays 82 games. The kid is so good.

Interesting stat: Khabibulin contract years: 85-50-21 (54.5% win rate), .918 SP and 2.25 GAA.
    Khabibulin non-contract years: 243-278-95 (39.4% win rate), .905 SP and 2.84 GAA.

13. Ducey says:

Jesse: LT, I’m curious why you expect Hall to recover faster than Horcoff and Hemsky did from the same surgery. I remember it taking quite some time for 10 and 83 to regain full form and I worry about mgmt rushing Hall back before he’s ready. I can already hear them say the same things as with Whitney: “A Taylor Hall at 80% is still effective, etc”. If he’s starting close to opening night, don’t you think that’s too soon for a player so early in his career? Isn’t it better to exercise caution with your franchise cornerstone?

I agree. The shoulder surgery has been used to explain Hemsky’s brutal season. If I recall its going to take a bite out of his summer training. He will have that hestitation about being hit, taking the big shot, and will need time figuring out how to move his shoulder. I seem to recall Horcoff having a few times when he was hurting and it was described as working through scar tissue.

The kids a gamer but 50pts in 65 games would be my RE.

14. LMHF#1 says:

I remain unconvinced that Hall will ever be a true finisher. He has struggled mightily when in alone with the goalie and generally scores from a couple specific areas only. Eberle’s a stone cold killer, Hopkins has shown he can put it in the net, and everything indicates Yakupov might be the best scorer of them all. I have no problem with Hall being our 4th best goal scorer of course.

The thing is, in order to be effective, he will have to realize what his strongest ability is. In the NHL thus far, that has been his ability to be an elite level rush passer. Many nights he forgets this and goes scoreless, turning over the puck on shots that have not much chance of finding twine. This, and his propensity for going backhand-five hole, need to go for him to truly leap forward.

Given his labrum surgery, this year would not be the year I try Hall at C.

Horcoff said the surgery made taking draws a real bitch.

16. Beaker says:

I would be over the moon if the kid can play 70+ games and have at least 0.85+ ppg.

I’d also not be too upset if 1-2 of those missed games comes because he lost it a bit and went a tad overboard letting someone know he isnt to be messed with. I’d start the fund to get the 2500$ for him to smash someones head into the boards (Weber like).

17. commonfan14 says:

Bhallsy

18. Lucinius says:

Off topic and likely BS, but…

According to my sister, who is a nurse, she talked to another nurse who said Doan’s kid is in a local Edmonton hospital and while Doan tried to keep a low profile and not talk hockey, he let it slip he was quite interested in possibly coming to Edmonton to play.

I call BS, but who knows. I think that’d give us the best right wing corps in the game, though, so something would have to shake loose.

19. Beaker says:

Lucinius,

I heard from my ex-girlfriends foriegn worker caretaker’s third cousin’s friend from grade 3 something similar. CONFIRMED

20. sliderule says:

I would expect the shoulder to slow him down big time in the first half of season .

From January on I think he will go lites out.

Who knows that could be around the start of the season.

21. jake70 says:

Beaker:
    Lucinius,

Tough crowd.

22. jonrmcleod says:

sliderule:
    From January on I think he will go lites out.

That sounds like a bad concussion. Hopefully you’re wrong.

23. FPB94 says:

I think Hall with Gagner and Hesmky is smart. Gagner has been progressing, and should be due for an increase in production with great teammates, Hemsky will blush that odd season out.

RNH with Eberle and Smitty is perfectly fine. Horcoff can begin the end of the road on the 3rd line where he belongs, and maybe finally have a + season.

24. Traktor says:

Ducey:
    The kids a gamer but 50pts in 65 games would be my RE.

25. jonrmcleod says:

“Pavelec arrester for DUI in Czech Republic. Amazes me how millionaires get too cheap when it’s time to pay a dude to drive them home.”

The problem is not cheapness; it's self-confidence and/or a sense of being above the law. For many, money leads to an inflated sense of self. (This is my sermon for today).

26. Dipstick says:

FPB94,

They probably don’t want to leave their very expensive cars in a club parking lot. Still, they aren’t paid for their smarts.

27. Ducey says:

Traktor: If Hall’s reasonable expectation is 50 points then we should trade him for Weber.

Quick! There’s a temporary setback! Lets over react!

28. Ryan says:

Wow. Bleeding games played in spite of his “rubbery quality.” Hall puts himself in harms way far too often for my liking. Can be effective without playing such a high (injury) risk style? Think of how many times he pulled a Gumby to avoid injury or getting his head taken off?

Hall definitely seems to be the player of most interest on other team’s blogs (who salivate over nonsensical trades like Taylor Hall for 2 low-ceiling defensive prospects.)

I still like the kids on the hall line – Nuge-Hall-Eberle

29. Ducey says:

Apparently 16 teams are interested in Doan.

6 teams have made offers. EDM isn’t listed as one of them.

30. Ryan says:

Yeah, I have to say talking about Hall’s injury proclivity, Eberle’s unsustainable shooting percentage, the Nuge’s suckage at faceoffs, and Yakupov’s lack of defensive awareness or w/e are all high class problems.

You do know Mr. Lowetide, we could be here talking about Nilsson’s perimeter playing style, Pouliots pubis thing, or Mact stifling the Oilers offense. :p

I dunno if you care to admit it, but I would tend to be in agreement with Mr. Tambellini. What was that quote he said? Something about when he sees Taylor Hall on the ice he realizes that all of the pain was worth it.

Now kick in the Nuge and Yakupov (of course Ebs) and this is an epic collection of sublime young top six talent.

31. LMHF#1 says:

Ryan:
    Eberle’s unsustainable shooting percentage

Betcha he keeps it going. People forget he struggled to score at the beginning of the year.

32. QBall says:

Defcon 4

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

LOWETIDE:
    curious to see a line featuring Hall-Gagner and either Paajarvi or Hartikainen.

For similar reasons the move of Hall into the middle is problematic in that it would open a huge void on LW. Roster whack-a-mole.

34. Bruce McCurdy says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—: I do like the Kingston Cannonball, as I believe was coined at Cult of Hockey (correct me if wrong).

You’re wrong. That one was courtesy the Copper & Blue, coined by Mr. Derek Zona as I recall. I may have used it on Cult of Hockey a time or two.

35. OilClog says:

The Hallocaust.

He’s the engine of this team, too much competitor in this kid to fail. He’s going to be very Eric Stall like IMO.

36. TheOtherJohn says:

Plus, the Vollman chart likes him very much as a 20 year old

Agree with Bruce though that moving Hall to centre just creates another hole.Plus, his speed off the wing creates opportunities for others

37. nathan says:

“Hall plays the game with a ferocity that is unmatched on this roster. I hope he grows out of his recklessness that sometimes puts himself in harms way. He is exactly what you would hope for in terms of a young leader: wants to win; win now; and wants his teammates to join him in a pursuit of excellence”

TheOtherJohn,

That sounds like this guy:

“While he had a good fore-hand and back-hand shot, he was not considered to have the greatest shot or accuracy. Richard made up for it in desire and other skills to become the outstanding goal-scorer of his time. He had excellent stick-handling skills, was fast on his skates, and strong. He used those abilities to outmaneuver opponents… Richard would make a burst of speed around the defenceman and then cut out front of the goaltender and be in a perfect position to shoot before the other defenceman hit him. It was a high-stakes style as he was also putting himself in the perfect position to get hit by the other defenceman.”

Bet on the guy who finds a way to win finding a way to survive:

“by the time he first tried out for the NHL Canadiens in 1942, he had suffered several injuries and he was a considerable risk for the Canadiens to take on. Despite this, coach Dick Irvin insisted that general manager Tommy Gorman sign him, being impressed with his play in camp. Richard would break his right ankle and play only 16 games. Gorman attempted to make a trade with the New York Rangers for Phil Watson, but the Rangers’ GM Lester Patrick refused the deal…. Richard’s left ankle was to be forever misshapen by injury but he adapted his skating”

Bruce McCurdy: Hard to see that working on a team with 3 offensive RW’s and just the one true port side sniper.

From his interview with Stauffer it sounds like Yakupov will play LW.

They like sticks on the boards in the defensive zone.

Krueger said they can switch sides in the Ozone, but wants LH LW and RH RW for Dzone and break out pass considerations.

39. nathan says:

Woodguy,

Unless Abney makes the team, we only have 2 RH RW (Hemsky and Eberle)

40. stevezie says:

nathan,

Where did you hear Abney might not make the team? Source it or it’s bullshit.

41. BlacqueJacque says:

Not to be overly optimistic, but between Gary Bettman’s overly smug confidence that fans will come crawling back like they did after the league shat on them after the last lockout, and Donald “I broke baseball for 10 years” Fehr, should we not just call these RE : 13-14? :/

42. nathan says:

stevezie,

When I’m done sourcing the rumor that MPS will play defense next year I’ll get right on that one.

Woodguy,

So Krueger’s confirmed it then. Not a chance Eberle or Hemsky play LW. Does not tell us where the LH guys will slot.

43. frenchfrog says:

Who was the meathead who compared Hall to Moreau?

44. Master Lok says:

Nickname for Taylor?

“The Captain”

(when Horcoff gives up the captaincy in the eventual future.)

45. loosemoose says:

Hall is a beaut as Grapes would say………and the more I watch him, the more I like him.

I was in the Seguin camp before the draft. I had argued the Oilers missed an oppourtunity to fill their biggest need when they passed on the big center, who I thought was just as skilled.

It kinda pissed me the next year, when I was on the Larsson bandwagon, because I thought if they had drafted Seguin, the stud defenceman could be next, but RNH shut me up real quick…..

…..to this point, I am not sure if passing on Seguin was the right call or not….but after watching Hall for the last two years, I don’t care…..

He’s got something about him that no chart will ever quantify. The drive and passion more than make up for his bad shot selection and the fact he doesnt play the position I would like.

I’ve never met Taylor Hall but you can see the burning desire to hoist a Cup in his eyes through the television screen.

He is what I want all Oilers to be……..a winner.

46. DeadmanWaking says:

Traktor,

As the saying goes, you have to break some YEGs to make an omelette, never mind if they swell up and turn blue.

47. Truth says:

Turbo

48. DeadmanWaking says:

Dr Lull: I’ll be asking you a few questions, Walter, as we can fine tune the ego program. Answer honestly, and you’ll enjoy yourself a whole lot more.

[Walter begins to feel the effects of the anaesthetic. Dr. Lull checks his vital signs.]

Your sexual orientation?

Walter: Herero.

Hmmm, I think you misspoke. (flips a switch) And how do you like your shades?

[Walter looks drowsily at a schematic female outline on a computer screen. With each decision, the computer image adjusts to correspond to Walter's taste.]

Shady, shadier, shadiest?

Walter: Shadiest.

Shaolin, Systema, or Poekoelan?

Walter: Systema.

Covert, macho, conspicuous? Be honest.

Walter: Covert…and conspicuous.

(with certainty) MIG forty-one A, Ernie.

[Ernie inserts cassette MIG-41A into his console. The computer image seems very similar to the man-of-action in Walter's daydream.]

Ernie: Boy, is he gonna have a hard time getting a straight answer.

49. TypeA says:

Well after sleeping on it, perhaps Franksterra is right. Hall deserves his own nickname. How about Typhoon Taylor? or Hawkman (Carter Hall)?

50. asiaoil says:

Kid plays like that crazy whirlwind Tasmanian Devil form Bugs Bunny………so Taz

51. ashley says:

loosemoose:

He is what I want all Oilers to be……..a winner.

All three of KL, ST, and MBS emphasized “character” when they were asked why they went with Hall. One of them even said something about both being very high quality prospects, but Taylor’s character and desire to win put him well out in front of Seguin.

I think it’s a good call. If it is too close to call based on skill alone, go to the intangibles.

I would suspect something similiar happened with Nail vs Murray if it was truly as close in the Oiler camp as it is being made out to be (even though it wasn’t close in any one else’s mind). Not only does Nail have skill, he has the swagger. In the face of limited talent, confidence can go miles. Just ask any lady. ;)

Nail’s got both. He’s going to be the best of the four.

52. Southern Oil says:

Taylor’s nickname – The Shit!!! Only because I want to see Gene Principe really pull some great puns out of his ass. Not literally of course.

53. DeadmanWaking says:

Ernie: Where is he now?
    Dr Lull: Nondescript parking lot … inside a roiling cloud of future-fog.
    Ernie: We could still switch him …
    Dr Lull: Switch him where?
    Ernie: Ahhhm … I don’t know … the “Steve Smith” Scenario?
    Dr Lull: No way! Naw … you wouldn’t!
    Ernie: If there was something on it …
    Dr Lull: … like perhaps … Quinta do Vesuvio?
    Ernie: That goes down nice.
    Dr Lull: Jeroboam?
    Ernie: Look at the shadiest shades, man! Where’s your spirit? Make it a Demijohn–at least–and a week off [sees expression] … airfare and hotel not included.
    Dr Lull: [Brightening suddenly.] You’re on! [Switches program.] He won’t make it two hours.
    Ernie: You’re wrong, man, you’re so wrong! Walter Tutu, don’t fail me now!
    Dr Lull: Hmmmm. I think maybe he really said “Herero”.
    Ernie: That’s a new one.
    Dr Lull: After a defib, we can comp him a Gods Must be Crazy.
    Ernie: Good luck with that … I’ll be in Portugal … too blotto to care.
    Dr Lull: Oh no! Look, he’s caught his tie and now he’s writhing under the gull-wing. No, no … no! Not the Systema!
    Ernie: Ha, ha, first chink in the armour!

54. art vandelay says:

Uh, Lemieux/Jagr, just off the top of my head.
    Holy sh!t, Oiler fans, get some fresh air.

55. leadfarmer says:

art vandelay,

You should go weary about how the nucks window is about to close on them, and they will remain cupless then trolling other fans.

56. "Steve Smith" says:

art vandelay:
    Uh, Lemieux/Jagr, just off the top of my head.

It’s funny, because that’s not the first example that occurred to you.

57. sliderule says:

Art vandalay
    I hope the Canucks win this season as their window is closing fast

The kings had 7 top 15 picks from 2003 till 2009.Only two were bust Hickey and Tokonen.
    That why the one the cup.

The oil have had six picks in top ten and none are busts.

The law of averages is closing fast on the Canucks and opening wide for the oilers.

58. Gret99zky says:

Pisscutter.

Pisscutter is very good. I always liked Chance because he gets so many. Alas, no one else does.

60. stevezie says:

I think the real Cyclone Taylor is deep enough in the oast that giving Hall the nickname would be an homage, not a rip-off.
    I’m also partial to Hallocaust, but there’s no way anyone who valued their job would ever say that in print or on TV, which means it’s up to Milbury.

61. leadfarmer says:

Funny, i was going to say the same thing, but its hard to type on my nook. Anyone know of anything fun to do in columbus, ohio. I,m here for a day for a fellowship interview.
    “Steve Smith”,

62. "Steve Smith" says:

stevezie:

I’ve spent several minutes trying to figure out the best way of making a post for the sole purpose of recognizing a previous post as hilarious. Here is what I have come up with:

That post was hilarious.

63. jp says:

Lucinius:
    Off topic and likely BS, but…

64. jp says:

nathan:
    Woodguy,

Unless Abney makes the team, we only have 2 RH RW (Hemsky and Eberle)

So now LW is overloaded and RW is weak!? Damn. May be we do have room for Doan…

65. jp says:

ashley: All three of KL, ST, and MBS emphasized “character” when they were asked why they went with Hall.One of them even said something about both being very high quality prospects, but Taylor’s character and desire to win put him well out in front of Seguin.

I believe it’s called “poise”.

66. Gerta Rauss says:

jp: All BS aside, “something shaking loose” just requires someone (Yak) to switch wings.

Wait..are we talking about player switching wings or the scenario with the 2 nurses…

67. Gerta Rauss says:

And I like Dash as a nickname.

Dash Hall

There’s a joke about Jethro and the cement pond in there somewhere but I got nothin..

68. Rebilled says:

Hall’n Ass! (on the ice and sometimes in the bathroom at Lux I’m told)

69. Ducey says:

art vandelay:

Uh, Lemieux/Jagr, just off the top of my head.
    Holy sh!t, Oiler fans, get some fresh air.

Holy crap! Art just compared Hall and Nail to Mario and Jagr!

When even Art is on board, we are winning the Cup for sure.

70. DSF says:

art vandelay:

Uh, Lemieux/Jagr, just off the top of my head.
    Holy sh!t, Oiler fans, get some fresh air.

Datsyuk-Zetterburg
    Richards-Carter
    Getzlaf-Perry
    Sedin-Sedin
    Crosby-Malkin
    Toews-Kane
    Thornton-Marleau
    Stamkos-St. Louis
    Kessel-Lupul
    Ovechkin-Semin

Looks like it’s a pretty common problem to have.

71. PDO says:

DSF: Datsyuk-Zetterburg
    Richards-Carter
    Getzlaf-Perry
    Sedin-Sedin
    Crosby-Malkin
    Toews-Kane
    Thornton-Marleau
    Stamkos-St. Louis
    Kessel-Lupul
    Ovechkin-Semin

Looks like it’s a pretty common problem to have.

One of these things is not like the others….

72. PDO says:

slopitch:
    I’ll just be happy he plays 82 games. The kid is so good.

Interesting stat: Khabibulin contract years: 85-50-21 (54.5% win rate), .918 SP and 2.25 GAA.
    Khabibulin non-contract years: 243-278-95 (39.4% win rate), .905 SP and 2.84 GAA.

Khabi as an Oiler:

2009 7-9 GAA 3.03 SV% .909
    2010 10-32 GAA 3.40 SV% .890
    2011 12-20 GAA 2.65 SV% .910

Given all 3 of these are impacting that last column, I’m not so sure there’s much to see there.

73. DSF says:

PDO: One of these things is not like the others….

You mean two don’t you?

74. PDO says:

DSF: You mean two don’t you?

They’re listed as pairs, so one works just fine.

Kessel and Lupul are still hilariously out of place on that list.

75. stevezie says:

PDO,

To be fair, if an alien landed on earth at the beginning of last season and started watching hockey, Lupul and Kessel would be very comfortable in the middle of that list, at least from a boxcars standpoint.

76. DSF says:

PDO: They’re listed as pairs, so one works just fine.

Kessel and Lupul are still hilariously out of place on that list.

Are they really?

Kessel scored 82 points in 82 games and Lupul was above a PPG before being injured.

Lupul, despite missing 16 games, actually outscored Datsyuk, Kane, Ovechkin, Toews and Marleau.

That without an NHL calibre centre.

Worth noting that Hall only scored .86PPG and Lupul finished 14 points ahead of Hall in only 5 more games.

As the esteemed Mr. Vandelay said, you need to get some fresh air.

77. stevezie says:

DSF,
    “Are they really?”

Career-wise yes; last season no. Final answer.

78. jp says:

PDO: They’re listed as pairs, so one works just fine.

Kessel and Lupul are still hilariously out of place on that list.

Ahhh, and I thought you meant the relative dominance of Crosby-Malkin…

79. DSF says:

stevezie:
    PDO,

Because Kessel has been playing in the league since he was 19, people tend to forget he just turned 24.

While Lupul has certainly had his ups and downs, you might want to remember he scored 28 goals and 53 points coming out of the lockout, while Hall’s best season so far is identical.

And don’t forget Wellwood!

81. DSF says:

And don’t forget Wellwood!

Exactly!

Need a small, slow, non physical centre with great hands…Wellwood’s your man.

Oh wait….

82. DSF says:

stevezie:
    DSF,
    “Are they really?”

Career-wise yes; last season no. Final answer.

Should be interesting to see how they do with JVR at centre.

He was stuck on the third line in Philly and will now get some prime minutes.

lol. Oh, DSF. You’re such a card.

84. DSF says:

lol. Oh, DSF. You’re such a card.

Walks like a duck….and so on….

85. VOR says:

If we are looking for pairs that might be as dynamic as Hall/Yak I’d think we actually don’t have to look quite so far away.

There were these two guys who played for the Oilers, fire and gasoline, courageous and insane, Messier and Anderson.

I think maybe, if you’ve forgotten them, that you all need some fresh air.

86. FPB94 says:

And finally

Klima – Corson. (Nah jk)

87. Mesmer says:

DSF,

Richards-Carter – Stanley cup Winners
    Getzlaf-Perry – Stanley cup Winners
    Sedin-Sedin – In spite of the way their fans talk, have never actually won anything
    Crosby-Malkin – Stanley cup Winners
    Toews-Kane – Stanley cup Winners
    Thornton-Marleau – missed their window, it happens. see Vancouver Canucks 2016
    Stamkos-St. Louis – one is a Stanley cup Winner
    Kessel-Lupul – seriously??
    Ovechkin-Semin – likely to part ways this summer. Window is still open for them

Looks like it’s a pretty common problem for Stanley cup teams in any case

There, fixed it for you.

88. stevezie says:

As long as we’re critiquing, let’s go all the way.

Mesmer:
    DSF,

Richards-Carter – Stanley cup Winners
    Sure! As part of the most expensive 2nd line in hockey,
    Getzlaf-Perry – Stanley cup Winners
    Team missed the playoffs, and Getzlaf’s 11 goals had a lot to do about that.
    Are we seriously going to pretend that the Sedins aren’t amazing? Are we those kind of fans? I’m not even going to quote the trophies they have, just watch them play. And don’t give me any bullshit about choking in the playoffs, they made it to the finals of game seven. Oiler fan in particular should know what an accomplishment that is. They didn’t win so Canucks fans should calm down, but let’s be honest about these two.
    Crosby-Malkin– Stanley cup Winners
    Oh Yeah
    Toews-Kane– Stanley cup Winners
    Sure
    Thornton-Marleau – missed their window, it happens. see Vancouver Canucks 2016
    Is Marleau elite? Why?
    Stamkos-St. Louis– one is a Stanley cup Winner
    Nothing wrong with that.
    Kessel-Lupul – seriously??
    Two point-a-game players on a relatively bad team? Are we still so mad at Lupul we’re pretending this isn’t impressive? Yes, it will take more than one year for them to belong on this list, but come on.
    Ovechkin-Semin – likely to part ways this summer. Window is still open for them
    I’d put Backstrom up there before Semin, but either way, sure. (Unrelated note: Trying to get this team to play defense was the biggest mistake any coach/manager has made since the lockout.)

Looks like it’s a pretty common problem for Stanley cup teams in any case
    The list was stupid in the first place. What are we even arguing, “Are there any other teams with two very good players”? Was Art even quoting anyone or are we actually trying to defend the straw-man? Are we saying this is the entirety of excellent duos in the NHL? Some of these guys don’t even play on the same line! I’ve convinced myself this is a waste of time, if I hadn’t already typed so much I’d delete this post.

There, fixed it for you.
    What? What’s fixed? It’s the same aimless, incomplete list it was before, but now it has commentary.

Well, I guess it is fun to post stuff.

89. uni says:

I’m partial to Chance myself, and Stranglehold for young Mr. Nugent-Hopkins. Keep the faith, I will continue to refer to them both as such on the interwebs.

Nail is pretty much already set. I don’t know about Eberle, maybe Slick.

90. Cactus says:

I don’t know how we got fixated on having two players as dynamic as Hall-Yakupov. You can find a lot of teams with two elite forwards.

The real question is: how many teams have three or even FOUR elite forwards. That’ll be (hopefully) the strength of this team.

91. Romulus Apotheosis says:

stevezie,

Priceless rebuttal…

All I could think when I read the initial post is how hard my Dad would laugh before regaling me to no end of his own glory days of watching the greats of his era…

Honor your own timely great ones… but don’t be so perspecitveless as to assume your own era and heroes are magically unique.