I think we’re at a point where we can say “there’s nothing to worry about, but…..” in regard to Nail Yakupov’s unsigned entry level contract.
First let me say there’s no cause for panic. The entire NHL has signed one player from the 2012 draft (Radek Faksa, yesterday) and there’s tons of time to get things done.
Second let me say that the Edmonton Oilers management team had to be supremely confident that they could sign Yakupov or they would not have invested a number one overall selection on him. NOT signing Yakupov–and losing him to the KHL–is not acceptable.
Finally, let me say that everything Nail Yakupov said before and after being drafted tells us his goal is to be an NHL player. This is not a “panic now!” situation.
So what is it? Oilers were busy with draft, coach, free agency, development camp, their own rfa’s and now Hall/Eberle contracts. I’ve also seen some mention of a “CHL delay” but those transfers are automatic.
Yakupov could have been signed during the development camp and before he went back home. It didn’t happen. No big deal, no cause for panic. Knowing the Oilers they wanted to get prime pub from it and it’ll happen with much hoopla as part of Hall and Ebs signing their new contracts (the Nuge can be there too!).
Hall signed July 5. The Nuge signed July 2. Yakupov’s contract signing will hit the news sometime soon. The Oilers have had an excellent summer, that kind of setback would ruin the momentum built through adding MacT, Krueger, Yakupov, Schultz and Smyth.
It’ll happen. Any day now.
Today at noon on Team 1260, we’ll hit the airwaves with two hours of Oilers talk. Past, present and future, with the major NHL stories of the week added to the discussion. Scheduled to appear:
- Jeff Marek host of HockeyCentral on Sportsnet. We’ll talk free agency and the Canadian teams, Minnesota’s free agent surprise and hurting songs in Nashville.
- Kent Wilson, Nations Overlord. We tried to give Kent a break this week, but the Flames kept adding people. We’ll talk Hudler, JayBo trade (?) and what all this adding means to Baertschi and Reinhart.
- Andrey Osadchenko from All hockey ru and The Hockey News. Andrey is a brilliant source of news on Russian hockey players and we’ll spend a few minutes talking Yakupov, Marincin and others.
- Jason Strudwick from Oilers Nation. Jason is a great source of information and we’ll talk about the draft, free agency and his recent retirement from pro hockey.
- Jonathan Willis from the Edmonton Journal’s Cult of Hockey, the Nations Netowrk and Grantland. Jon will discuss the draft, free agency and tell us if the Oilers are done.
Team 1260, noon to 2. Your questions are always welcome, twitter @lowetide_ and @ItsNationRadio or email email@example.com and you can post your questions in the comments section below.
Looking forward to the show, hope you can join me.