STARBOARD 12-13

The Edmonton Oilers are flat out loaded on RW. It’s crazy, to the point where you’d have to think someone is moving to the portside at training camp.

EVEN STRENGTH TOI/GM AND 5X5/60

1. Ales Hemsky 15:25/1.57
  2. Jordan Eberle 14:24/3.08
  3. Teemu Hartikainen 12:59/1.36
  4. Ryan Jones 12:06/1.46
  5. Linus Omark 11:41/1.10
  6. Lennart Petrell 8:29/0.83

Lots to talk about here. Eberle’s 3.08/60 is #2 overall among forwards with 40 or more games played this season. Hemsky’s is poor based on his own past. The funny thing is that math (if I’m reading it right) is screaming for a correction with both players. I’d lay odds Hemsky>Eberle in 5×5/60 in 12-13 if 83 stays healthy. Ryan Jones is #3 on the list, but with Nailer coming that won’t wash, and of course the organization signed Lennart Petrell for another dizzying winter.

SH TOI GAME

1. Ryan Jones 2:28
  2. Lennart Petrell 1:07

Oilers had an improved PK this past season

PP TOI GAME AND 5X4/60

1. Jordan Eberle 3:00/4.77
  2. Ales Hemsky 2:08/2.88
  3. Linus Omark 1:45/0.00
  4. Ryan Jones 0:51/5.40

Nice number from Eberle–59th best in the NHL for forwards playing in 40 or more games. Again Hemsky displays a poorer than expected number, we should expect better. Jones has a good number here too.

WOWY

• Jordan Eberle’s wowy is a walking advertisement for an RNH-Ebs marriage til the end of time.
  • Ales Hemsky has some solid matches in Horcoff, Gagner, Smyth and most of the defensemen.
  • Ryan Jones and Ryan Smyth played well together.
  • Lennart Petrell’s signing tells us the Oilers have never seen this graph.
  • Teemu Hartikainenand the Nuge looked nice in a small sample size.
  • Linus Omark worked well with Paajarvi, Horcoff and Petrell in small sample sizes. He will be burned as a witch.

CORSI QUAL COMP

Hemksy pulls a good number here, and Eberle is coming along. Jones had his best season and Paajarvi had some nice things. Petrell  is Finnish, so I can’t say anything negative but these numbers don’t imply goodness.

SUMMARY

Coach Krueger stapled Ryan Jones’ ass to the pressbox in an early salvo, and with Yakupov on the team there’s going to be some shifting. I suspect one of Eberle, Hemsky or Yakupov will move to LW and play behind Hall on the 2line. I think we’ve established that Nuge-Ebs and Gagner-Hall are a good match, so a third line featuring Horcoff-Smyth-Hemsky is possible and of course the Russian Yakupov will find his way onto one of those trio’s. Interesting. Hartikainen probably gets the push as the 9th name, but as we’ll see there are other candidates.

54 Responses to "STARBOARD 12-13"

1. speeds says:

Maybe this would be better left for the LW post, but I’m curious why you think Hartikainen would be the guy ahead of Paajarvi? Just in terms of the style and role?

speeds: Two reasons. I think Paajarvi isn’t going to hit for enough power to stay in the heart of the order. Hartikainen might suffer from the same problem but he’s had fewer big league at bats.

Second, I do think the organization is high on Hartikainen.

3. Ducey says:

•Linus Omark worked well with Paajarvi, Horcoff and Petrell in small sample sizes. He will be burned as a witch.

And damn well he should. He fell right off the bottom of your Corsi Qual Comp chart with a -2.585.

If you finish below Hordichuk in the fancy stats, you must be put on trial!

4. Southern Oil says:

I know numerous folks have spoken about it this off season, but I think Paajarvi could be gone for help on the blue line.

5. Henry says:

That WOWY site is truly informative. Hemsky’s numbers there just show that he (and Hall) make everyone better. Despite all the talent around, having a guy that drives the play 5×5 is what you need. Trading him would be sensless, the only question is whether to play him with Hall or with Yakupov. A nice problem to have.

6. JimRoepcke says:

Why do you have Hartikainen as a RW?

He is listed as a LW according to Hockey’s Future, Hockeydb, Wikipedia, the Oilers web site and the Barons web site.

Jim: I plan on listing him on both sides. He’s central to the discussion.

8. Thinker says:

It depends on who shift wings. I see three likely combos.
    Hall rnh eberle
    Prv/Hartikainen gagner yakupov
    Smythe horcoff hemsky
    Eager/petrell/hordichuk belanger jones

Hall rnh eberle
    Hemsky gagner yakupov
    Smythe horcoff hartikainen/prv
    E/p/h belanger jones

Or my favorite

Yakupov rnh eberle
    Hall gagner hemsky
    Smythe horcoff hartikainen/prv
    E/p/h belanger jones

9. DBO says:

I’d like to see MPS on the 3rd line at RW just because I think with Horc and Smyth he would excel in that role. It’s where I see him long term.

Not to derail the discussion, but is anyone else salivating a wee bit too much on the possibility of the Coyotes folding and there being a dispersal draft where we pick 2nd? OEL would be lovely (can’t se Columbus passing unless they take Smith who only has 1 yr left on his deal), but Yandle or Smith or maybe even Gormley or Rundblad would be a sweet Christmas present for the third time this year.

so a third line featuring Horcoff-Smyth-Hemsky is possible

Just stop it.

Hemsky playing there is the opposite of what should happen.

They didn’t pay $5Mx2 for Hemsky to check.

They paid him so the opposing coaches has ve to figure out how to check him.

I read it the same way.

Depends on limenates and type of ice time (I.e if 83 runs with 10 all bets are off), but 14 isn’t as good as last year and 83 isn’t as bad.

11. WeridAl says:

LT I’m a little confused here, other then Hemsky and Eberle the Oilers have the rest listed as LWer’s. They all have been move to the RW due to the LACK of natural RWer’s on the Oiler team. Pitlick is the only RHS C/W potential prospect in the system, so it could be safe to say the Oilers are weak when it comes to the RW

12. cdean says:

What I notice most with the your list LT is that of the 6 guys you mentioned only two of them shoot right, and only those two play right wing as their natural position. I know that players can adapt and switch wings, we seen it a lot last season. Even more odd is the amount of right handed shooters in the system, of those in the NHL and AHL only 6 right handed shooters, Gagner, Eberle, Hemsky, Arcobello, Pitlick and House, and the three AHLers are listed as Centers.

The one good thing is that Yakupov plays RW even though he shoots left.

13. russ99 says:

Not sold on Hartikainen in the top 6, at least not to start the season,

We need more than a big hitter at those spots, Harti needs to prove he can put up the same numbers and overall play in the NHL that he had in the AHL. It ‘s a pretty big leap and not everyone can do it.

IMO, keep him as the 4th line LW for at least 10 games, then move him up if his play merits it.

14. DBO says:

So LT if we want to maximize Hemsky’s talent maybe we see something like this:

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky (PVP)
    Yak-Nuge-Eberle (soft minutes, huge O zone starts)
    Smyth-Horc-MPS (tough minutes line, like MPS to excel here)
    Eager/Petrell/Hordichuk-Belanger-Jones

Ideally I’d rather have Harksy in the 4th line role, but the Oil will not play 4 scoring lines, so maybe this gives us best chance to succeed. Makes me think Jones could be dealt if the needed. Or Eager if someone will take him.

15. Stocc says:

Big couple of days for you, LT. Sophia Vergara apparently turned 40 and got engaged. Which line do you see her fitting best on?

16. Stocc says:

Stocc,

And is she higher or lower than Scarlett on your depth chart?

17. WeridAl says:

DBO,

Jones has value right now and could be packaged to get something the Oilers need.

18. spoiler says:

Hemsky should be with Hall, should he not? (excluding Yak for the time being as an unknown)

If Eberle and Hall are our best goal scorers, and Eberle is a good fit with RNH, then shouldn’t our best available passer be with the best available finisher?

19. sliderule says:

Forgive me if this has been explained before but how do you determine quality of competition?

20. Cactus says:

Omark will only be burned as a witch if he is found to float in water as wood does.

Ducey:

And damn well he should.He fell right off the bottom of your Corsi Qual Comp chart with a -2.585.

If you finish below Hordichuk in the fancy stats, you must be put on trial!

The trial will involve a scale to determine if Omark weighs as much as a duck.

21. admiralmark says:

Sounds like a recipe for a multiplayer trade methinks?

22. spoiler says:

How we set up the lines depends a great deal on how to use Horcoff. Do you throw him to the wolves, or give 4-89-83 the crap assignments?

If the top line is going to go PvP, I’d like to see Yak alongside Horc. Someone who can spend time covering Yak’s ass (some say Horcoff is really filthy Russian for Yak’s ass), while he blazes new trails up front.

And that would solve the problem of a winger flipping sides.

Horc would need to have his EV minutes cut, qualcomp eased and zone starts improved. Of course it would help if the other two lines had good zone shifts and there weren’t as many defensive face offs to spread around.

Go all the way and give Horc/Yak the butter with someone like. Paajarvi and put Smytty at 2LW to help out the two kids face 2nd level opp. Pray Hall, Gagner and Hemsky can at least tread water against the toughs. That’s a lot to ask of Gagner, but the Nuge isn’t ready for the tuffs yet.

Hmm… The more I think about it the more I think Horc is going to be the Wicker Man again this season.

23. spoiler says:

Cactus:

The trial will involve a scale to determine if Omark weighs as much as a duck.

Ahh, oooh.

Who are you, sir… so wise in the ways of science?

24. Cactus says:

Someone in a recent thread (I think it was Woodguy, but I could be wildly mistaken) floated the idea of putting Eberle on the LW with RNH and Yakupov. I think it’s a really interesting idea for heavy o-zone push and it would solve the LW issue without having to rush someone like Paajarvi or Hartikainen. Plus, their combined shooting % would probably approach 20 and cause some heads to explode.

25. Henry says:

DBO:
    So LT if we want to maximize Hemsky’s talent maybe we see something like this:

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky (PVP)
    Yak-Nuge-Eberle (soft minutes, huge O zone starts)
    Smyth-Horc-MPS (tough minutes line, like MPS to excel here)
    Eager/Petrell/Hordichuk-Belanger-Jones

I like that lineup a lot. At least at home. Horc and Smyth would be good to teach mps how to use his speed to forecheck. Hopefully how to get garbage goals off the cycle too. Especially like that there may be enough depth for guys to slide up effectively as people get nicked up.

26. DBO says:

Cactus,

I don’t think MPS playing this year is “rushing” him. He is a responsible two way winger with size and speed who may not have top end offense but can play with the big dogs and cover their butt in a pinch. If they want to shelter someone, maybe it would be Yak. HOw about this option then

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
    MPS-Nuge-Eberle (at lest some size, not aggression but he has more offense then Harsky)
    Smyth-Horc-Yak (kid gets some babysitters to play D, and he is a scorer so Horc will pass to him instead of Horc wiffing on an Eberle set up)

27. DeadmanWaking says:

Yak-Nuge-Eberle (soft minutes, huge O zone starts)

Favourable zone starts, yes. Soft minutes? Not exactly. Probably facing 2nd line opponents skating in front of a mobile, alert defensive pairing with long sticks. On some teams that could be the top pair. Doesn’t matter. It’s not a group that needs soft comp. So they get ground to a standstill. Then Hall and Hemsky pick up the slack against opposition they overmatch.

I’m still advocating mainly a zone-start bias for another year, with Hall learning how to skate uphill in both directions.

Yak-Nuge-Eberle (soft zone starts)
    Smyth-Gagner-Hemsky (mixed zone starts)
    Hall-Horc-MPS/Harski (tough zone starts)

Eventually the other coach has got to put out his third pair, or spread his weak guys up and down. The main thing is to keep Horc and Smyth a lot more fresh by putting the squeeze on their special team minutes. If the Hall line does make it into the offensive zone, Horc at least knows how to impersonate a 1C. For Hall, that could be enough.

Screw matching lines. Makes your bench easier to manage. Every one of those guys skates roughly 18m (MPS and Harski split the 18m plus whatever they pick up on the 4th line, fresh young legs get more of the hard work on the PK). Short rolling shifts like the 2002 Olympic team. I don’t think Krueger should be playing chess behind the bench. He needs to instill a creative system, then inspire the guys to go out an do it. Maybe if a guy looks overwhelmed or sluggish, spot him out for a few shifts.

I’m the first to admit I’ve never fully grasped the art of line combinations and line matching. Can’t wait to see what Krueger does with this.

28. Noodles says:

sliderule:

The numbers are from Behind the Net .

Relative Corsi Quality of Competition (or “Corsi Rel QoC”) is the average Relative Corsi (“Corsi Rel)” of opposing players, weighted by head-to-head ice time.

Corsi Quality of Competition (“Corsi QoC”) is the average raw Corsi of opposing players, weighted by head-to-head ice time.

In other words, if a player has a high Corsi Rel QoC or Corsi QoC, it means that he is, on average, playing against players with better Corsi Rel or Corsi stats than someone who has a lower Corsi Rel QoC or Corsi QoC (I think).

29. Cactus says:

DBO,

I don’t think that playing MP in the NHL this season is necessarily rushing him, but I want to see him do two things:

1) Actually earn the spot on the team
    2) Start in a bottom six role to best utilize his two-way play (if he shows enough offence, bump him up).

In fact, I think he’s a perfect replacement for Jones in the medium term (and in the short term if they put Jones in a deal for a d-man). They score similar amounts, but MP is more defensively responsible.

spoiler: Ahh, oooh.

Who are you, sir… so wise in the ways of science?

I wish I could say “King of the Britons” but the job market for new PhDs isn’t THAT good.

(If anyone is confused by this exchange, do yourself a favour and go watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail. One of the greatest comedies of all time.)

30. Maverick says:

Lots of options on the wingers, hence why a trade is more likely now than ever to do a package for a defenseman. However, I can see Hemsky as a lw he recently played there at the world’s.

Many people get upset when gagner comes up as trade discussion, Eberle played center in junior as well as Hall, maybe with Eberle’s high hockey sense maybe he is an option for the 2nd center spot? With the current roster one of the small wingers might need to be change position this season. Lots of depth is a good thing, having options is nice headache to have.

31. Ducey says:

Cactus:

The trial will involve a scale to determine if Omark weighs as much as a duck.

His problem is that he hits like a duck.

32. "Steve Smith" says:

DeadmanWaking:I’m the first to admit I’ve never fully grasped the art of line combinations and line matching.

33. PDO says:

DBO:
    So LT if we want to maximize Hemsky’s talent maybe we see something like this:

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky (PVP)
    Yak-Nuge-Eberle (soft minutes, huge O zone starts)
    Smyth-Horc-MPS (tough minutes line, like MPS to excel here)
    Eager/Petrell/Hordichuk-Belanger-Jones

Flip Eberle and Yak. Yak scores all his goals on the off wing.

Ideally jettison some of the 4th line to make room for Harsky.

“Steve Smith”: Not true: I admitted that you didn’t understand line matching in July 1992, and line combinations roughly four years later.

God that’s funny. If I ever need a lawyer—and it’s more likely my wife will when she kills me–I’m going to seriously consider you. Like, a lot.

So we’re certain Eberle can play LW? Because that does solve the problem.

36. bookje says:

So we’re certain Eberle can play LW? Because that does solve the problem.

Don’t worry LT, if he can’t, Kruger is just going to sit him down and motivationally speak him into doing so. I am telling you, it is going to be a beautiful season!

37. PDO says:

Lowetide: season

We’re not, but I’d certainly give it a whirl before trying Yakupov there. He does it on the PP, and he’s phenomenal on the backhand.

Yak needs to play RW from where I’m sitting, which means you either try to runs guns a blazing with Hemsky-Eberle-Yak down the RW, or one of Hemsky/Eberle are flipped.

38. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

Okay, you’re right, but IF no one switches positions – IF mind you- they have to put Hemsky on the checking line, right? Eberle and Nail can’t do it, and while they’re old Smyth and Horc aren’t useless linemates so it’ snot like Hemsky is wasted. Of the three RW Hemsky makes the most sense, right?

I may have just created a pointless hypothetical that will never happen, but I do understand why people keep drawing it up that way.

39. PDO says:

stevezie:
    Woodguy,

Okay, you’re right, but IF no one switches positions – IF mind you-they have to put Hemsky on the checking line, right? Eberle and Nail can’t do it, and while they’re old Smyth and Horc aren’t useless linemates so it’ snot like Hemsky is wasted. Of the three RW Hemsky makes the most sense, right?

Here’s a way you go about it..

Hall – Gagner – Hemsky
    Harsky – RNH – Eberle
    Smyth – Horcoff – Yak

… yup.

You can run the first line against the toughs, the third line second toughs, and the second line butter soft.

Yak would have more than enough support. One of the aspects of Horc’s game (that made him fit so well wtih 4/14 in their rookie years) is that he can still hit the breakout pass to a winger in full swing. Smyth goes hard to the net to open him some more space, and let him let that shot rip.

40. bookje says:

bookje: Don’t worry LT, if he can’t, Kruger is just going to sit him down and motivationally speak him into doing so.I am telling you, it is going to be a beautiful season!

I should mention that even I don’t know if I am being sarcastic or not.

41. Bar_Qu says:

bookje: I should mention that even I don’t know if I am being sarcastic or not.

I have this problem frequently.

I’m not sure why Eberle at LW has not been brought up before. It seems a brilliant solution to the wing imbalance and certainly not out of the kid’s demonstrated ability.

And Jones should be part of every trade discussion from here to March, mainly so we
    can marvel at how well he performs on a complete NHL team well into the post-season.

42. PDO says:

Bar_Qu: I have this problem frequently.

I’m not sure why Eberle at LW has not been brought up before. It seems a brilliant solution to the wingimbalance and certainly not out of the kid’s demonstrated ability.

He’ll eat popcorn better than anybody!

43. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Line matching can only go so far as Last I checked roughly half the games are on the road and lines get caught in the d zone. If playoffs are a goal then those non-controlled line matches will have to fly as well.

Also, if mgmt gets it right and picks up a minute eating d then every forward is going to get a huge boost in underlying stats. Barker to Schultz obviously is included in that.

With help Gags should take some of the burden from Horc. Horc successfully ran against the toughs 2 years ago with rookies, so if the zs and qoc back breakers are eased a bit then pairing him with the former mullet should not be required. Lastly, opponents ignore hall at their own peril and he has elevated beyond requiring protection. Some mighty fine weapons will face off against less than stellar opposing d.

Hall Horcoff Yakupov
    MPS Gagner Hemsky
    Smyth RNH Eberle
    Harti/Eager Belanger Jones

44. PaperDesigner says:

I think it would be remarkably stupid for any from that group of top three right wingers to thumb their noses at playing the opposite side. Considering the drop-off of talent there is to play with between the second and third lines, I think you do whatever it takes to not end up playing with Horcoff on a checking assignment.

Guy who I think would make the easier adjustment? Eberle, I think. Guy plays a slippery game, and doesn’t exactly stay locked to his side of the ice. Plus, I think him shooting on his off-wing may actually be a plus.

I’d run something like:

Hall Gagner Hemsky
    Eberle Nugent-Hopkins Yakupov
    Smyth Horcoff Paajarvi
    Eager Belanger Jones

Hordichuk Petrell

Smid Petry
    N.Schultz J.Schultz
    Whitney-Sutton

Dubnyk
    Danis

I would have stuck Omark on the roster somewhere (I still think he’s an actual player), but I think the Oilers management group would send someone very large and mean after me if I dared to insinuate that Omark is an NHL player.

Chance of winning something? Yeah, but this team could badly use either a proven second pairing guy as Petry/J.Schultz/Whitney insurance, or better, a guy like Bouwmeester who can bump everyone else down a spot on D. And not having the Khabibulin contract would be fantastic.

45. mike.c33 says:

I really want to see if Yakupov can be Gagner’s new Kane and if Gagner can be Yakupov’s new Galchenyuk though… Wouldn’t it be EPIC if they clicked like that?

46. russ99 says:

I’m for two quality scoring lines with our best offensive talent:

Gagner – RNH – Eberle
    Hemsky – Hall – Yakupov

No need to dilute those lines with subpar players, question marks or “truculence”.

Then for the next two lines, determine lines and give icetime to players based on how they are playing. With the current roster I’d lean towards:

Smyth – Belanger – Jones
    Hartikainen – Horcoff – Hordichuk

47. franksterra says:

Apropos of almost nothing but idle blogger musings about some of our wingers:

48. Jesse says:

Stauffer with a series of tweets that seem to reveal quite a bit about what direction management wants to take the team in. He mentions that the Oilers are going to want to add a top 4 D and a top 6 power forward within the next 14 months. That one caught my eye in a big way. I’ve heard a lot about them adding a D man but not about acquiring a PF. He also mentions Gagner in a pretty telling way. Makes it seem like if Gagner and Hartikainen and Paajarvi don’t start to pan out in the near future (next season) the team will look to fill those holes another way. Also mentions Lander as a 3C someday which obviously means that Horcoff and/or Belanger won’t be here long term (which was probably obvious). Anyway, I thought it gave an interesting insight into the timeline that management may see going forward.

49. jp says:

PaperDesigner:

Hall Gagner Hemsky
    Eberle Nugent-Hopkins Yakupov
    Smyth Horcoff Paajarvi
    Eager Belanger Jones

Hordichuk Petrell

Lots of different line iterations have been proposed, most look pretty damn good. I like these ones best. Would love to see Paajarvi get a chance at 3RW. Whether Ebs or Yak (or Hemmer) switch to LW doesn’t really matter as long as someone can do it smoothly. Ebs does look like a good option though. Would also like to see Eager or Jones moved and Hartik inserted to the 4th line (13/14 stay the same).

Jesse:

Good to hear, but it’s obviously been in their heads given their choices on draft day 2. May be they think Moroz can make the jump after one more year of “seasoning” :)

Eberle playing the left point on the power play does NOT mean that he can play left wing.

Renney tried to play him at left wing a couple of times over the last two years, but it didn’t work/stick.

People harp all season about 3 scoring lines, and a top nine, and now all of a sudden people want to stuff everyone on two lines.

So somebody has to play with Horcoff on RW for a year or two. Yakupov playing with Horcoff, and sitting next to him on the bench for a season to school him in the defensive game wouldn’t be a horrible thing.

Or who knows, maybe Yakupov will have chemistry with Belanger, something neither Eberle or Hemsky do.

Horcoff centering Paajarvi and Yakupov for a season might be a damn good thing. It didn’t hurt Hall and Eberle to do that,. Particularly if you want to do Hall, Gagner, Hemsky.

51. Romulus Apotheosis says:

A few scattered thoughts:

1) Hemsky’s a beast. Even in an off season he’s making his teammates better and getting the puck going the right direction… he needs to be on the 1st or 2nd line… and I agree with several others that a line of Gags-Hall-Hemsky is likely to give me a year long hockey boner.

2) On Petrell… I completely agree it is best to put the best face on a Finn. But I’d also draw your attention to pair of Zona articles from last March looking into who really effed up that line:

as he notes… the sample size is tiny… but without Lander, it looks like Petrell is markedly better (for the short sample period at any rate)

perhaps, he’s better than he looked last year stuck with Lander… ?

Woodguy,
    “Depends on limenates”

not being a dick… that is a fantastic typo! it sounds like some kind of snack, or beverage… like there is a whole series of products using the suffix “nates”, who knows what they are but expect your kids to see them on tv and want them in their lunches: “cherrynates”, “berrynates” (if it’s a sweet thing), “barbqnates” “ranchnates” etc (if its a savory thing)

52. franksterra says:

“I would say at this point, we just don’t know the optimum permutation for the forward lines, particularly since Hartikainen and Paajarvi and Jones and Petrell are equally adept on either side.”

@Godot. I do get tired of this phrase, but, in this instance, I do not think ‘adept’ means what you think it means…

53. Cactus says:

franksterra:
    Apropos of almost nothing but idle blogger musings about some of our wingers:

Wow, the comment section of that piece shows just how crazy fans are in assessing other teams’ players. Lots of people there trying to construct a deal to get Taylor Hall without Adam Larsson in the mix. Hilarious stupidity.

franksterra:

@Godot.I do get tired of this phrase, but, in this instance, I do not think ‘adept’ means what you think it means…

I think you failed to notice that “adept” was not used by itself, but has a modifier…i.e. “equally”. I don’t think you understand what “equally adept” means.