CRYSTAL BALL 12-13

Just got back from 9 days in America. My kids didn’t come this year, so it was me, Jo and her sister Elaine plus Ron Bacardi (fuckin’ guy). I missed the kids–and the dog, good lord I missed the dog–but it was fun all the same. We travelled well together, suspect we’ll be a trio next year too (Ron gave me a headache, so we’re not talking) although I want  the dog to come with so maybe it’s Kelowna instead of  America in ’13.

We’re becoming older people and there’s not one damn thing we can do about it. We still drink too much or stay in the sun too long, but now we have a travelling pharmacy for every ailment. Honest to God, it’s like Shopper’s Drug Mart in a U-Haul! I listened to Gram Parsons this trip, now convinced more than ever the Eagles should hand over all of their money to his estate.

15 predictions for the fall:

1. Season starts on my birthday, December 5.
  2. Oilers invite a free agent goalie to TC–my guess is Ty Conklin.
  3. Oilers are more rugged, meaner and hard to play against from the first whistle.
  4. Oilers demote two NHL contracts–my guess is Lennart Petrell and Corey Potter.
  5. Anton Lander and Magnus Paajarvi open the season on the same line–in OKC.
  6. Krueger runs Horcoff-Smyth-Hartikainen in pre-season.
  7. Eric Belanger has a rebound season.
  8. Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz have solid rookie years, but do not win the Calder.
  9. Taylor Hall scores 30 goals despite the shortened season.
  10. Shawn Horcoff passes the “C” on to Hall or Eberle.
  11. The Nuge is less dominant on the PP, but shows a “Datsyuk” quality as a 2-way center.
  12. Ryan Whitney is improved over last season, but not all the way back.
  13. Ales Hemsky has a thrilling season.
  14. Nikolai Khabibulin retires and becomes the team’s minor league goaltending instructor.
  15. Sam Gagner quiets the critics a little more.

One final item, the family theme song for so many trips to the USA. God what a beautiful tune.

53 Responses to "CRYSTAL BALL 12-13"

1. Halfwise says:

You have to watch those Bacardi brothers, they look like they are mixing so well, then as the evening progresses they get into your head and later you wonder what the hell you were thinking.

2. Cactus says:

If you’re correct about all of that LT, there’s a good chance for the Oilers to make the playoffs in a shortened season. Here’s hoping you’re correct.

3. Traktor says:

“15. Sam Gagner quiets the critics a little more.”

Sam Gagner failed to reach YOUR reasonable expectations 4 years in a row. Bacardi is a hell of a drug.

I think Gagner is due for a good season but would phrase it more as “Gagner finally delivers a consistent season.”

4. JohnnyRocket says:

Yes. Gram Parsons. What a talent. And the Flying Burrito Brothers. What a band. I hope all your predictions are true. And the shortened season gets us into the playoffs. Otherwise, I’m hoping the season starts on time.

5. cabbiesmacker says:

Thanks for the update on Ron. I was never a big fan of his but at one time I did have an awful lot of friends named Glen. Can’t remember all of the last names but most were Gaelic in origin.

Never had to go on holidays to spend more time with them either.

6. leadfarmer says:

Next time you’re in the states LT swing by Minneapolis/St. Paul. Can’t think of too many nicer US cities in August and September. Too bad its not like that year round.

1. Season starts on my birthday, December 5.

I would guess that is close, I’m still thinking earlier, but I’m an optimist. The verbage after today’s Poobahs meeting will be telling.

2. Oilers invite a free agent goalie to TC–my guess is Ty Conklin.

Incorrect. They are done in goal. You wish for this, but don’t actually believe it.

Given that they have mostly the same players, I don’t see they style of play changing much. Perhaps Krueger will have them be harder on the puck.

I see Potter going down, but I think a non-waiver eligible forward goes down first. I also think they have a forwards for dman deal sitting on the books. I think they are going to give up on PRV too soon and send him out the door.

5> Anton Lander and Magnus Paajarvi open the season on the same line–in OKC.

See above. I agree that if they keep PRV they will demote him even though he plays hockey better than Eager, Petrell, Jones, Harski and Hordi.

6. Krueger runs Horcoff-Smyth-Hartikainen in pre-season.

Good bet.

7. Eric Belanger has a rebound season.

Good bet.

Good bet Not enough ice time to go around for Yak and D rarely win Calder unless its a ridiculous Myers type of season.

9. Taylor Hall scores 30 goals despite the shortened season.

Depends on how the shoulder rehabs. Not a bad bet.

10. Shawn Horcoff passes the “C” on to Hall or Eberle.

Not this year.

He was unreal on the PP last year. Maybe less unreal, but still dominate. Datsyukian on back check as well.

12. Ryan Whitney is improved over last season, but not all the way back.

Its almost impossible for him to be worse than last year. Last year as an Oiler.

13. Ales Hemsky has a thrilling season.

God I hope so. Reasonable bet.

Nik has too much $$$ to be a coach. He’ll be warm, drink vodka and watch tennis.

15. Sam Gagner quiets the critics a little more.

I think Kruger runs 4,89,83 and they play toughs and do well, but not well enough to make the critics silent. No quarter will be give for quality of competition.

8. leadfarmer says:

Ok, how about this. Sam Gagner continues to grow into his projected role of a very solid 2nd line center. Which is fine cause this team could not afford a 7 mil a year 2nd line center like everyone is hoping for

9. justDOit says:

Conklin? CONKLIN??? I really doubt MacT even wants to hear that name again, let alone see him in an Oilers practice jersey. Methinks someone switched your bacardi with isopropyl!

10. gcw_rocks says:

1. Season starts on my birthday, December 5.
    Nope. Fehr factor pushes this to January.

2. Oilers invite a free agent goalie to TC–my guess is Ty Conklin.
    God I hope its not him

Sounds good.

If Petrell, Hartikainen, and Eager have strong camps, I can see Hordichuk getting demoted

5. Anton Lander and Magnus Paajarvi open the season on the same line–in OKC.
    If Nelson is the only one who will see if these two have chemistry, then its a good idea

6. Krueger runs Horcoff-Smyth-Hartikainen in pre-season.
    Interesting

7. Eric Belanger has a rebound season.
    Let’s hope

Boo!

9. Taylor Hall scores 30 goals despite the shortened season
    Not if they open later than December..

10. Shawn Horcoff passes the “C” on to Hall or Eberle.
    I assume you mean next summer?

No to part A, but yes to part B

12. Ryan Whitney is improved over last season, but not all the way back.
    Safe bet here.

13. Ales Hemsky has a thrilling season.
    With the kids chewing up prime PP time his overall point totals will disappoint.

I hope you mean during training camp. Best thing about a season long lockout is we never have to see Nik suit up again.

15. Sam Gagner quiets the critics a little more.
    He will get 51 points (on a normalized to 82 games basis) yet again. Two way game continues to improve though.

11. Jonathan Willis says:

On number two, perhaps my favourite hockey video of all time: http://youtu.be/juTCGJ_FqG4

Jon: Hahaha I forgot about that one, thanks for reminding me.

13. bookje says:

1. Season starts on my birthday, December 5.

This one doesn’t make sense to me because my birthday is nowhere near Dec 5th. I expect a quick breakthrough and the season to start on time. Note, I am a member of the happy optimists club of naive positive thinking so take that one with a grain of salt.

2. Oilers invite a free agent goalie to TC–my guess is Ty Conklin.

Nope, NK is good for 20 games they figure and DD is the starter of the future and there are kids down the food chain who are rising. If NK falters, up comes Yan, and the kid goalers get a chance in OKC.

3.` Oilers are more rugged, meaner and hard to play against from the first whistle.

Yes, because Chuck fixes the third and fourth line guys by giving them clear assignments and then backs them up when they do their job.

Maybe, I also think they might replace the air filter in their dressing room air circulation unit, but don’t really give it much thought because it doesn’t really matter.

5. Anton Lander and Magnus Paajarvi open the season on the same line–in OKC.

I don’t think so, I think PRV will start the season in the NHL – I don’t see how Chuck can fix him if he is in the minors.

6. Krueger runs Horcoff-Smyth-Hartikainen in pre-season.

Probably, its pre-season and the time to experiment.

7. Eric Belanger has a rebound season.

This falls into the Chuck will fix him category of things and I think is almost a truism. Bellanger and Renney never figured it out, but Ralph Krueger is Ralph Krueger and he is going to help guys like Belanger recover their game in Edmonton. I also think Horcoff and Belanger will not be thrown to the toughs (and bad zone starts) to the extreme that they were last year.

I think Schultz has an impressive year. Nail is a real uncertainty to me, I think there is the potential for him to be stunningly good. As Oilers, they are not allowed to win the Calder so again, its another truism.

9. Taylor Hall scores 30 goals despite the shortened season.

I think that Nail and Hall are going to goat each other on and that is going to be an awesome thing for us as fans. Hall will win and I think 30+ is probable.

10. Shawn Horcoff passes the “C” on to Hall or Eberle.

Next year, because I don’t think its clear who should get it this year.

12. Ryan Whitney is improved over last season, but not all the way back.

Yep – totally repaired is almost not possible, but better seems logical.

13. Ales Hemsky has a thrilling season.

Yes, but sadly his body language will prevent him from ever being a star in this league no matter how many points he puts up.

If he gets injured and decides to retire, NK is give the position of Special Senior Goal-Tending Advisor and goes to that place where Pat Quinn went to run and play all day long (Florida, California??).

15. Sam Gagner quiets the critics a little more.

No, they still rant about how Sam Gagne sucks more than sucking ever sucked because Sam Gangre is too smurfy to play in this league, stupid Sam Grengar is such a looser.

Bookje is on fire today, like a fjord!

15. commonfan14 says:

bookje: I predict fans will yell Nugggge a lot, some of them at stupid times because they are drunk.

It’s too bad SOL is already taken, because that one had me snorting out loud.

16. Bruce McCurdy says:

The Mayans have already predicted the season will start on December 21, 2012.

17. Ducey says:

You are going to get expelled from the presidency of the Chuck Krueger Fan Club with that kind of negativity.

You may not see how he can fix him while he is in OKC but that is a more a comment on your perceptual shortcomings than Krueger’s coaching skill. He can fix MPS, and he will.

18. Ducey says:

Bruce McCurdy: The Mayans have already predicted the season will start on December 21, 2012.

Well done!

19. Southern Oil says:

“1. Season starts on my birthday, December 5.”

I think that’s an absolutely brilliant plan – as it is also my birthday!

I will go out on a limb and suggest this is the year that Calder comes to Oil Country. Nail is something special and it simply follows this amazing logic:
    - Taylor & Jordan: not nominated
    - Nuge: nominated
    - Nail: winner!

20. delooper says:

Grain of salt? I think your advice goes much better with a plump, duck-down pillow, Bookje.

21. regwald says:

Dec 1 is the tentative start date. October disappears without progress, things get serious in November and after a couple week training camp, Dec 1 is good place to kick off Hockey Night in Canada on a Saturday night.

22. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

OT, but found an article up at the SEL website about Omark. Haven’t read it yet but it concerns where he will play this season: http://www.hockeyligan.se/artikel/24887/

23. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Gotta admire Omark’s determination in trying to make the NHL, doesn’t want to give up on that dream. Kinda feel that he might have shot himself in the foot with being a bit outspoken, although I don’t think that should be a reason at all for someone not giving him a chance. People don’t seem to like it when pro athletes say what they think.

24. bookje says:

Ducey:

I feel great shame. Time for self immolation thus fullfilling LT’s 16th prediction and starting the revolution.

25. bookje says:

Wow, Whoh, Two things I learned about self immolation. One, it hurts really bad and I can’t do it very long. I cant believe its so popular in Tibet and Tunisia – Don Cherry is totally wrong about those Euro guys being pussys. Two, it makes me super hungry for some chicken. I am off to KFC. You can cancel the revolution.

26. "Steve Smith" says:

Sam Gagner quiets the critics a little more.

By growing two inches and putting on thirty pounds?

“Steve Smith”:
    Sam Gagner quiets the critics a little more.

By growing two inches and putting on thirty pounds?

28. Lois Lowe says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Sam Gagner quiets the critics a little more.

By growing two inches and putting on thirty pounds?

THUNDEROUS BODYCHECKS!

29. rickithebear says:

bookje: Sam Gagne sucks more than sucking ever sucked because Sam Gangre is too smurfy to play in this league, stupid Sam Grengar is such a looser.

This was the most fluid read ever!

30. Dalton says:

Body language is a legitimate indicator of things.

They say like 80% or something of communication is nonverbal eh.

The memes on this board are so tiresome sometimes…

31. Jordan says:

You know, I think that somewhere out there, at some time, we’re going to need to write a ballad about sam fucking Gagner. It’s going to need to be done in the style of jonny cash, and it’s going to be about how this great little hockey player never got the respect he deserved from oilers fans because he reminded the people of edmonton too much of mike comrie when he was younger.

Buddy’s gone from being a decent soft minute killer to a reasonable tough minute player. He’s okay on faceoffs. He produces points in limited icetime. He fights guys he has no business fighting because the team needs a boost.

Buddy’s got balls bigger than Tiger Woods to try to fight Beaucemin. Buddy’s got a franchise record 8 points in one night. Buddy’s got consecutive 40 pt. seasons. Buddy’s not even 25.

I’ll take buddy on my team any day.

32. justDOit says:

Jordan,

Great idea for a song – but Schremp, Nilsson and Omark need to be included in there somewhere.

We could call it a boy named Sam, with Bryan Murray singing!

Well, it was Edmonton in mid-July
    And I just hit town and my throat was dry,
    I thought I’d stop and have myself a brew.
    At an old saloon on a street of mud,
    There at a table, dealing stud,
    Sat the dirty, mangy dog that named me “Sham”

34. Moosemess says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—:
    Kinda feel that he might have shot himself in the foot with being a bit outspoken, although I don’t think that should be a reason at all for someone not giving him a chance.People don’t seem to like it when pro athletes say what they think.

I don’t think pro athletes are the only ones whose career prospects suffer when they criticize the boss.

Omark’s primary failing, beyond his defensive deficiences, is one common to youth: a mistaken belief that opportunities are granted based solely on merit and are not subject to the whims of politics, nepotism, seniority, popularity, pedigree, happenstance, etc.

When you’re a diminutive 4th rounder, I would suspect the game you play off the ice is every bit as important as your game on it. Has Linus learned this lesson or is he too busy plotting his next youtube highlight move?

A little extra humility would go a long way with this player. It will be interesting to see if he’s learned from this experience when opportunity comes knocking again. Given his outgoing tweet, I kind of doubt he has.

Dalton:
    Body language is a legitimate indicator of things.

They say like 80% or something of communication is nonverbal eh.

The memes on this board are so tiresome sometimes…

I bet you wrote that with shrugged shoulders, then walked away from the keyboard with your head down, hands in your pockets and whistling a mournful tune in a minor key.

36. justDOit says:

Take this for what it’s worth, but the NHL’s counter proposal to the PA retained the PA’s framework on the deal, and is considered to be a significant response. Maybe Bettman read JW’s article on ON this morning?

I would hate to see LT’s birthday ruined by an earlier start though…

37. Bruce McCurdy says:

There are strange things done in the midnight sun
    By the men who moil for goals;
    The fans of the Oil are always foiled
    By a team that’s full of holes
    The team did stink down at Rexall rink
    (said in sorrow more than anger)
    But when time came to lay the blame
    I cremated Sam Ganger.

38. justDOit says:

Bruce McCurdy,

LT: where’s the million props button?

39. justDOit says:

justDOit,

hmm – no edit option with chrome?

I was thinking about a Lightfoot theme, or possibly stompin T, but I can’t argue with the cremation of sam macgagner!

Beauty, Bruce.

41. bookje says:

Dalton:

The memes on this board are so tiresome sometimes…

All your bases are belong to us!

Bruce McCurdy,

Amazing!

43. DSF says:

Lowetide: I think he’ll have a step up in competition and will also post >50 points. That HAS to be good enough for some of the detractos.

Only if he can outscore Kyle Wellwood.

A toss up.

44. DSF says:

Jordan:
    You know, I think that somewhere out there, at some time, we’re going to need to write a ballad about sam fucking Gagner.It’s going to need to be done in the style of jonny cash, and it’s going to be about how this great little hockey player never got the respect he deserved from oilers fans because he reminded the people of edmonton too much of mike comrie when he was younger.

Buddy’s gone from being a decent soft minute killer to a reasonable tough minute player.He’s okay on faceoffs.He produces points in limited icetime.He fights guys he has no business fighting because the team needs a boost.

Buddy’s got balls bigger than Tiger Woods to try to fight Beaucemin.Buddy’s got a franchise record 8 points in one night.Buddy’s got consecutive 40 pt. seasons.Buddy’s not even 25.

I’ll take buddy on my team any day.

Problem is…for the team to be successful Buddy has to be able to best Patrick Kane, Logan Couture, Ryan Kesler, Valteri Fillipula, Paul Statsny, Jiri Hudler, Mike Richards, Mike Fisher, Martin Hanzal, Saku Koivu and Steve Ott.

Koivu should be just about done and Ott has hit 30 but he could still whip Buddy one on one.

DSF: Only if he can outscore Kyle Wellwood.

A toss up.

Drink!

46. hags9k says:

I’m stuck in the second division,
    And time keeps draggin on,
    But that train keeps a rollin,
    On down to Oklahome.

Oh, a storm is threat’ning, My NHL life today
    If I don’t get some shelter Oh yeah, I’m gonna fade away

GOAL, children, it’s just a shot away
    It’s just a shot away
    GOAL, children, it’s just a shot away
    It’s just a shot away

48. DSF says:

Woodguy: Drink!

Skoal.

Next thing you know you’ll be telling me Hemsky can outscore Brown.

49. DSF says:

Oh, a storm is threat’ning, My NHL life today
    If I don’t get some shelter Oh yeah, I’m gonna fade away

GOAL, children, it’s just a shot away
    It’s just a shot away
    GOAL, children, it’s just a shot away
    It’s just a shot away

Stones.

One of the best.

50. CrazyCoach says:

You say you want some springtime hockey
    Well you know
    We all want to see a cup
    You tell me that it’s gonna be rocky
    Well you know
    We all want to move on up
    But when you talk about a rebuild
    Don’t you know you can count me out!

Can’t you see Katz wants to make it right
    Can’t you see Katz wants to make it right
    Can’t you see Katz wants to make it right

51. jzed says:

Now the winter has come, eclipse in the sun, that has lighted my love for Samwise
    and a cold wind now blows, not much tenderness flows, From the hearts of everyone feeling so tired.

Oh Sam, so bad
    So bad, so sad

With apologies to George Harrison

52. Reg Dunlop says:

Hockey seems so far away today, so a music comment is a must. In the days of bootleg recordings, the Allman bros would set aside an area for bootlegers to set up their recording gear. The idea was ‘we can’t stop them so lets make it better so the bootleg discs aren’t total shit.’ The best live band I ever saw, Dicky Betts COOKS.

As far as Gram Parsons, anyone that can corral Emmylou Harris, change the face of popular music and have his cremation illegally carried out by friends in Joshua Tree… well he has lived some life.

53. bendelson says:

bookje,

“Note, I am a member of the happy optimists club of naive positive thinking…”

As a member of the pessimists club of unfettered negativity, schadenfreude, and black bile…

I believe we are supposed to rumble.

Great post nevertheless.