OKC RE 12-13: ANTON LANDER

It has been suggested the prospect Oiler fans should be most concerned about is Magnus Paajarvi. I think the prospect in real danger is Anton Lander.

OKC RE 12-13: 70, 10-20-30

1. Wow, you really don’t think he’s going to deliver much offense. Last season was very discouraging.
  2. Did he score a lot in Sweden? He had a strong 19-year old season, his NHLE was 82, 14-20-34 after going 49, 11-15-26 in the SEL.
  3. And his season was that bad? It was a wasted year. What’s more, unlike Magnus Paajarvi or Teemu Hartikainen, there’s very little positive that we can draw from Lander’s 11-12. It was not a good year in pretty much all areas.
  4. How did he get here? In rookie camp, everyone noticed Lander was quicker. Oilers Skating and Skills Coach Steve Serdachny: Anton has had incredible development. He’s made incredible strides in his skating and his quickness, he has so many great intangible qualities and a fantastic individual. Foot speed, mobility, efficiency have been a part of his program and something he’s been working on. This guy is a dedicated learner and working hard to become an Edmonton Oiler.
  5. That’s all good! It can be. Kyle Brodziak took a big leap forward one fall, but he was an older prospect and his development took a more traditional path.
  6. So, Lander should have started in the AHL? Yes, of course. The hiring of Lander to play in the NHL was clearly someone or some group of people talking themselves into something. It has happened before, Oilers seem to do this to C’s often.
  7. Who do you blame? Management and the coaching staff. When a young player is drowning early and often, find the range where he’ll succeed and then let him gain confidence at that level. This isn’t rocket surgery!
  8. Are there any positives? He didn’t score in the NHL and he didn’t score in the AHL. dawgbone found some positives here.
  9. You seem angry. Ah hell, I don’t understand is all. Lander had a big time defensive rep, his resume sang like Doug Jarvis! And then they put him with Petrell, Eager, Hordichuk and that group. And they struggle horribly, but the Oilers get stubborn on him–with a mountain of prospects dying for the show–and keep him in the NHL despite overwhelming evidence.
  10. What do they do now? Put him in the AHL, and put him in a position to succeed. Perhaps a checking line with two veterans and Lander in the middle.

25 Responses to "OKC RE 12-13: ANTON LANDER"

1. PunjabiOil says:

I always thought he’d be a bust.

Doesn’t bring enough offense, never has. Intangibles have been overrated by his supporters.

Better to get some value on him on the trade market while he still carries it.

2. JohnnyRocket says:

I believe our expectations should be adjusted from 3rd line to 4th line centre with possible minutes in the PK. I believevthere’s still a player there, it’ll just take a little time to get him there. It’s too early to flush him.

3. justDOit says:

Way too early to tell if he’s not going to make it, but feel free to cement your opinions now on a young hockey player. He had his hat fed to him on a lot of shifts last season, and his only crime was having a good camp and making the team. He needs a confidence makeover while he learns the pro game, and Nelson is just the coach to do handle that. Maybe a Lander/MPS/Harski line combo would help that?

If they don’t send him to OKC this year, they should put Lander between Hall and Eberle – that’s a given 60 points for him right there.

4. Bank Shot says:

I’ll be shocked if Lander doesn’t see some time with the big club this season. Probably at least 10 games I would say. Probably more like 20-30. He is still the number 5 center on the depth chart and injuries will hit someone no doubt.

I think this kid will still deliver and likely has a long NHL career ahead of him. Could see a lot of seasons were he puts up 15-20 points, but if he continues to improve defensively there is nothing wrong with that in a bottom six center. I think he will definitely improve in the D-zone. He plays a smart game.

5. DSF says:

The sound you hear is Lander, Paajarvi and Pitlick busting.

Stu isn’t so magnificent after all.

6. Bank Shot says:

DSF,

Lander and Paajarvi won’t bust. Hey, these guys are no super prospects like that Shirokov kid out in Vancity, but they’ll have NHL careers.

7. Melman says:

Lander’s length of stay in the NHL last year is indefensible. It’s astounding that something so obvious as allowing prospects, particularly those as an organization you are especially high on, to develop properly cannot be grasped by the mgmt. group year after year after year after year after year. I think it’s doubtful that a coach trying to keep his job (a proven concern) would not try to ice the group of players that gave him the best chance to win. If it was acceptable to let their 4C flounder all year then the intelligent move would have been to let Josh Green or CVV play in that role and allow Lander to adjust to North America and the pro game here. There was no rush to have him play in the NHL. As much as he struggled, he was not the difference between finishing #29 and a shot at Yakupov and finishing out of the lottery.

He will play in the NHL: in Edm. if they leave him in the AHL for a 1 – 1 1/2 years or with another team once he’s gets claimed if they foolishly let him wash out early.

8. jake70 says:

Annoying to watch him drown and they don’t swap he and Vandevelde earlier in the season. Vandevelde wouldn’t have done any worse one could argue. He’s older, give him his shot.

9. DSF says:

Bank Shot:
    DSF,

Vancouver cuts them loose if they can’t play Big Boy Hockey.

The Oilers hang on them for years.

10. Melman says:

DSF: Vancouver cuts them loose if they can’t play Big Boy Hockey.

The Oilers hang on them for years.

Van also hasn’t graduated many prospects in a long time. Their core is Edm. 10 years from now

11. Bar_Qu says:

Don’t. Satisfy. the Frickin’ troll.

3 months until hockey returns. This will get old soon.

Fortunately we have the Barons to focus on. Lander should give a good indication of where and what he is during the many games which get played by the AHL before the NHL gets their act together.

12. DSF says:

Melman: Van also hasn’t graduated many prospects in a long time.Their core is Edm. 10 years from now

Some teams depend entirely on the draft to find players.

Some teams find players in other ways and are very successful.

How many players on the Stanley Cup champion LA Kings were on the team when Lombardi arrived?

13. oilswell says:

I have to say this prospect confidence thing is making my head spin. Let’s see if got things right.

Prospects brought up are not given enough rope and are scared they are going to get sent down if they do something or don’t do something. So they grip their sticks too tight and are crushed when they are sent down, shattering their confidence even though they were doing pretty good before the call up.

But at same time a prospect will also have his confidence shattered when the coach refuses to sit him when he’s getting beaten like a rented mule by depth NHLers. His confidence should soar when he learns the coach will replace him with a goon while he is raking in one tenth of his NHL salary and riding the bus. I’m sure Omark’s confidence was orbiting Jupiter when he was, finally, mercifully, rewarded with the AHL stint to round out his game.

Prospects are so tough.

Oilswell: The entire season was dizzying at center. Faced with a top 4C of Horcoff, Gagner, Nuge and Belanger, they decided to give 500 minutes to Lander despite negative results. Maybe he learned on the job, but there’s little evidence of same.

15. "Steve Smith" says:

I think I’m going to spend the rest of the off-season trying to be a more successful troll than DSF. I’m going to spend this weekend developing a persona, and I’ll break it out next week. I think I can do it.

16. "Steve Smith" says:

(Although if history is any guide, I may be mistaken – right after I decided to out-truther the Schremp Truthers by talking about how Ryan Stone was being needlessly held back by an organization that didn’t appreciate his dynamite potential, buddy went and made the damned team out of the next training camp.)

17. edwards_daddy says:

“Steve Smith”:
    I think I’m going to spend the rest of the off-season trying to be a more successful troll than DSF.I’m going to spend this weekend developing a persona, and I’ll break it out next week.I think I can do it.

Can all troll accounts have a three letter acronym? I’m going for ASS (Addled Shit Stirrer)

18. oilswell says:

Lowetide: its clear that Lander should have been down learning because the NHL is not a training league for checkers. You have no quarrel with me on that. The confidence thing seems imaginary or, at best, irrelevant. In fact, I rather suspect his confidence was better two days before he was sent down than two days after. At least, I don’t remember evidence that contradicts the supposition. Come to think of it, Strudwick’s recent post at ON is coincidentally relevant.

19. PaperDesigner says:

Can’t we start by allowing a player to simply have a bad season?

You look at those offensive totals and reputation in Sweden, and you have to think he should be able to be an effective AHL player right now. You have to think that consistently getting routed did terrible things to his confidence. Does that destroy a player long-term? No, but it might delay him a couple of years.

I think this is a player that stretches the limits of what RE as a series can do. Yes, those may be REASONABLE, but you know what would probably be reasonable for a prospect tracking well? About ten to fifteen more points and a role as a key defensive centre.

Also, calling Paajarvi a bust is stupid. Really, really stupid.

I don’t think there’s any rational argument that suggests Paajarvi is a bust.

21. frenchfrog says:

DSF is a guy who called Omark one of the biggest busts in the last while. Clearly he’s not smart enough to analyze aspects of hockey like this, so it’s a shame people keep responding to him.

frenchfrog:

can you call a 97th overall pick who plays 65 NHL games a bust? Hmmm. I’ll say no but could be wrong.

23. DSF says:

frenchfrog:

Yeah, no doubt.

That Omark kid can’t make the roster of the 29th place team in the league at the age of 25.

Must be a coaching issue.

24. DSF says:

I don’t think there’s any rational argument that suggests Paajarvi is a bust.

I think we can agree that every draft is different.

If we look at the 2009 draft, we can see at least half a dozen players who were drafted after Paajarvi that are trending better.

Paajarvi was given a huge push in his rookie season and then developed the yips.

It’s highly unlikely he gets that kind of push again so, unless he re-invents his game, I think we may be looking at a player who spends a lot of time in the minors or returns to Sweden.

Had he stayed another year in Sweden or been allowed to develop his game in the AHL, we might have a better idea of what we have here.

But he played the second most minutes among Oiler forwards in his rookie season and was only able to put up 34 points.

I’m sorry, but 34 point top 6 players don’t tend to last very long.

25. Lucinius says:

Belated, but I wanted to mention something that Lander did have going for him in the season of hell he experienced being kept up on the NHL team; pissing other teams off. As far as I know he had no reputation for being an agitator, but he proved to be one. There were a lot of games where the other team went out of their way to hit him, beak at him and it almost always seemed to be retaliatory for something he’d said or done (primarily the former). He’s not a physical agitator (though I do recall a number of occasions where he edged across the line of ‘gentlemanly play’ with smart stick work along the boards.

His main strength as an agitator seemed to be in vocal abuse during play — not after the whistles where the refs are likely to punish someone beaking, but during actual play. And it seemed to work.. if only the refs hadn’t decided to put their whistles away last season.

Its a small thing he did right in the season of woe, but I think its important due to how the Oilers lack that kind of player, almost utterly and completely devoid of that player, and may be a reason why he stuck with the club despite the on ice performance in other aspects.