OKC RE 12-13: MARK ARCOBELLO

The Edmonton Oilers lead the league in small skill forwards. Mark Arcobello’s path to the NHL is probably the toughest in the entire system.

OKC RE 12-13: 72, 22-30-52

1. This is a fine season. I agree, Arcobello is a solid AHL player.
  2. Always with the needle. My only quarrel with Arcobello is that he is taking up a spot on the 50-man list that could be going to Jeremie Blain. Or Drew Czerwonka for that matter.
  3. Typical of the great unwashed. Anti-education. That’s right. I’m against Yale.
  4. Why don’t you like Arcobello? I like him fine, but he’s never going to get past all of the other small forwards Edmonton likes better.
  5. So? There’s only so many of these guys Edmonton will employ. Why hand him a 2-way NHL contract when he is extremely unlikely to play in the NHL.
  6. You don’t know that. I know the odds, and they are terrible.
  7. How many forwards are ahead of him? At center, there’s the Nuge, Gagner, Horcoff, Belanger, Lander, VandeVelde and probably Josh Green. On the wing, it’s worse. Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky, Smyth, Jones, Eager, Petrell, Hordichuk, Hartikainen, Paajarvi, maybe Cornet at some point and the people I’ve missed. Dane Byers is probably ahead of him.
  8. How small is Arcobello? Oilers website has him 5.09, 185–pretty much the smallest forward on the list along with Kellen Jones and Toni Rajala.
  9. I don’t think he’s that small. I think he is, probably smaller.
  10. He’s still growing! At 24? Really?
  11. What are his positives? He is an excellent EV strength player in the AHL. Arcobello’s 73, 14-22-36 was a very good even strength number and his 185 shots on goal rank in the league’s top 50.
  12. What are his negatives? Well, size for one and the other thing is that he is now 24 (birthday last week) and is not an impact player even at the AHL level.
  13. You usually defend effective players who lack size. Sure, but the Oilers are going to use a certain number of small forwards and the rest of the group will be bigger men. Arcobello is a good player, but not in the same league as Nuge, Gagner, Eberle, Yakupov or Hemsky.
  14. So, what’s the solution? If there were an expansion draft maybe that might help, but if Arcobello fights his way through the current Oilers depth chart to win a job that’s an all-timer.
  15. And the Oilers 50-man list? I think it was a mistake to give him a 2-way NHL contract. That is my only issue with him and I’ll cheer like hell for Arcobello during the OKC season.
  16. Okay, one final time. WHY Blain or Czerwonka over Arcobello on the 50-man list? Sure. Blain imo is certainly worthy of a contract. Rangy defender who can move the puck, he posted good numbers during his QMJHL career and I’d expect he’ll play pro hockey at a high level should he choose to pursue it. Maybe he isn’t an NHL player, but he’s an NHL prospect.
  17. And Czerwonka? He didn’t have a great final season in the WHL, but he’s a big winger who plays a physical style. The Oilers spent two high draft picks in search of a better Dane Byers this summer, and the sooner the club finds this player using the MBS risk averse method the sooner the club can focus on other areas.
  18. Isn’t this really about your love affair with the 2010 Oilers draft? I still love it despite the Oilers not signing Blain and Czerwonka. The Oilers signed 8 players–or 16% of their 50-man roster–from that draft and Kellen Jones is still to be signed (or not) when he’s done college.

30 Responses to "OKC RE 12-13: MARK ARCOBELLO"

1. leadfarmer says:

Some players are late bloomers, maybe the Oil think he might be one of them. Plus those are decent numbers and he is a solid young AHLer and I doubt blain or czerwonka have the even the same career he does.

2. leadfarmer says:

Blain was not redrafted in a weak draft and a draft filled with overagers. I would rather not have him filling a contract space than a solid AHLer that might still improve. I dont think Czerwonka was redrafted either as I didnt find any evidence of that in my 3 min google search but I may be wrong.

3. leadfarmer says:

If the lockout is a year long, would any one else be in favor if the league just skipped this years draft, and began the draft with 19 year olds the following year. I know it would be a tough proposition this year cause it will be our last high draft pick, but I think it would be better for the league and player development.

4. nelson88 says:

leadfarmer,

Not trying to pick a fight with LT but this is something that jiggles around in my brain from time to time. In my opinion the oilers brass receives a substantial amount of criticism for mis-handling players who eventually leave the organization to a great hue and cry about how successful they will be elsewhere. When all is said and done what is the track record in comparison to other teams? Maybe a topic for a post

MAP, POS, Brule, Schremp, even Cogliano for a 2013 2nd round pick is not looking too shabby with time. Souray went on to have a pretty good follow up season and Omark will be an interesting one to watch but is management of the discard pile really a weakness?

nelson88:
    leadfarmer,

But that cuts both ways. I can make a list too–Jason Chimera, Kyle Brodziak, Matthew Lombardi. Lombardi would likely be the best example, although comparing Blain to him is unfair to both players. However, inasmuch as we’re trying to prove Edmonton’s decision making when it comes to drafted players is imperfect, Lombardi is an excellent example.

6. spoiler says:

Can I copy the Arcobello dialogue and paste it under Omark?

7. Clay says:

I know it’s a difficult discussion, because he isn’t a pro yet, but LT do you think you’ll be writing a similar post about Reider in 4ish years, or do you think he’s a higher quality prospect?

Clay:

I think Rieder is a legit prospect. Despite going in the 4th round there was some draft buzz about him and Rieder just came off a terrific year (posted on it over at ON this morning).

Rieder is undersized but not small, 5.11, 190 and if he is as skilled as it appears then Rieder should have some time.

9. Ducey says:

I don’t get the hate for Arcobello.

There are 48 guys on the 50 man list. 2 won’t count (Musil, Klefbom). The Oilers could have signed Czerwonka or Blain had they wanted to. Its not Arcobello’s fault.

The guy has covered the bet by producing in the AHL and helping others develop. Thats more than the Oilers will get out of Rajala or Kytnar. Every team in the league will have a few guys on two way contracts just to fill out their AHL team.

If he was 6’2″ he never would get through waivers anyway.

10. nelson88 says:

I certainly agree with you on Brodziak and have never understood that trade. Particularly as they appeared to push him out in deference to your god son ;) which just adds to salt to the wound w/r/t poo.

Chimera and Lombardi might also fit that bill but personally i wasn’t looking back that far.

11. Traktor says:

Next I’ll be reading that Cody Wild has a better future than Jeff Petry.

12. Bar_Qu says:

Ducey,

If I understand the intent of this RE series correctly, it is to examine the RE’s of the players we will likely be watching once October hits (since the NHL is determined on its course). So, we are looking now at Arcobello, who at 5’9″ 185 is too small for most NHL duty and unlikely to push anyone off the Oiler’s roster for the same reason. But dude wrangled a two way contract out of Oilers mgt. Good for him, but it looks bad on the managers.

With the prospects coming up the pipe, NHL contracts shouldn’t be a carrot to AHL-level players, but hey, ST is doing a good job, right?

Great for the Barons to have a guy of his caliber to play the season with the team. He will help them win games and give some shelter to younger players learning the pro ropes. Its unfortunate his role is overshadowed by another management gaffe.

13. cc says:

The signing of Arcobello imo was a good signing for the Oilers. Look at any teams roster and you would typically have 2 or 3 vet forwards that are signed to play in the AHL. If you consider Arcobello to be your AHL vet in the mold of Corey Locke its not such as bad signing. Nobody complained when Ryan Keller and Alex Giroux were signed to help the AHL club. The main plus with Arcobello is that he is under team control and fills a need as an AHL vet that can play quality minutes on the top 6 in OKC. I like this signing, there’s an outside chance he fills that role and becomes a player that could get a cup of coffee from time to time.

I like this signing rather than Petrell who was signed to a one-way deal with the big club. I would have been alot happier signing a borderline player to a 2way contract, such as LT’s boy Pouliot to compete with Hartikanen & PRV for the 13th forwards spot.

14. Henry says:

If a center gets hurt, I’d like to see Arcobello come up for a few games to play 4th line C with Hartikainen and Jones (or Eager and Jones). I’ve seen him several times and damn near every time he is the best two-way forward on the ice. He makes good decisions. He is also very small. I hope that Hamilton and Pitlick play all year with him. It will help their development.

15. Bruce McCurdy says:

Shouldn’t all the coke machines in OKC learn how to play with small skill?

16. Dalton says:

I go to a lot of Barons games, and here’s the “saw him good” on Arcobello:

Pretty much any time you look up during important parts of the game, he’s on the ice. The comment about him not being an impact player is dead wrong. Maybe he doesn’t have a lot of GWGs or something, not sure which metrics you’re looking at, but the Arcobello I see on the ice is a kick ass player and a major part of the team.

Why is giving an effective above average AHL player a 2-year NHL contract (Arcobello) a worse decision than given 3-year NHL contracts to guys who would likely never get beyond the ECHL (Blain and Czerwonka)?

Weren’t you just praising Steve Yzerman a couple of weeks ago on Oilernation for giving the same Arcobello contract to Cory Conacher? Yzerman got slightly luckier in that Conacher is more like a star AHL player whereas Arcobello is just a very good NHL player, but the concept behind both signings was exactly the same.

Arcobello is a successful signing and has proven he deserved the contract.

One of the things I like about Tambellini is that he is actually willing to make a decision on a prospect, for better or worse, which is something that did not happen in the Lowe/Prendergast/MacT era. The AHL program is no longer a mess.

The OKC guys (Greene and Nelson) found two guys better than Blain last year basically out of thin air. Ringwald, who they re-signed this year, and Yeo, who left for greener pastures, seeing the competition in the Oilers organization.

You don’t have to waste a 3-year contract on Blain if you can scour the ECHL guys like Ringwald and Yeo who are just as good. A real AHL top 6 forward like Arcobello is a far better player to use an NHL contract on.

godot10:

Weren’t you just praising Steve Yzerman a couple of weeks ago on Oilernation for giving the same Arcobello contract to Cory Conacher?Yzerman got slightly luckier in that Conacher is more like a star AHL player whereas Arcobello is just a very good NHL player, but the concept behind both signings was exactly the same.

Arcobello is a successful signing and has proven he deserved the contract.

The OKC guys (Greene and Nelson) found two guys better than Blain last year basically out of thin air.Ringwald, who they re-signed this year, and Yeo, who left for greener pastures, seeing the competition in the Oilers organization.

You don’t have to waste a 3-year contract on Blain if you can scour the ECHL guys like Ringwald and Yeo who are just as good.A real AHL top 6 forward like Arcobello is a far better player to use an NHL contract on.

That should read “very good AHL player” not “NHL player”….what happened to the edit function?

19. Ryan says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Shouldn’t all the coke machines in OKC learn how to play with small skill?

Nicely done Bruce.

As an aside, I heard from a reliable source that they didn’t expect the NHL season to start until after January.

I sent LT a contact form email with the details of the source, but don’t want to write any public details here.

20. Ryan says:

This

Wow. Eric is the man.

21. Bar_Qu says:

Ryan:
    This

Wow. Eric is the man.

When I first read his idea it didn’t totally make sense to me, but it sounded good. But when put into a visual like this; Wow. It should easily replace QoC as a metric this season.

Just good, good stuff.

Tulsky is killing it no doubt. I do have one question about the graph: is the TOI total EV minutes or overall minutes? The reason I ask is a guy like Jack Johnson played 23:46 if you include his PP time.

23. Bar_Qu says:

In his reply to WG here Eric said he was using total TOI, but he did say it would be a good metric to play with to gauge PK or PP competition too.

24. Ryan says:

It would be interesting to see what would shake loose if he applied that methodology to EV minutes.

With total TOI, it certainly makes sense that players that get premium PP minutes like Nuge are going to spend a portion of time playing top quality defenders and checkers or a player like Horcoff who plays lots of PK minutes would see top flight forwards and offensemen.

I’ve always ascribed to the theory that the measure of a man is what type of EV minutes he plays. Again, part of this will be driven by zone starts. If you get an offensive zone push, you’ll probably play quality d and lesser forwards vs starting in the deep end seeing top quality forwards and offensemen–sort of like PK/PP minutes.

Ryan: I agree completely. EV is the point in the game where the rubber hits the road.

26. OilLeak says:

Why do you hate Arcobello so much?

27. delooper says:

I’d like it if hockey season started right now.

28. dessert1111 says:

He seems like a player who something could happen for if he gets his break. What if Belanger is traded, a C goes down and they want to keep Lander in OKC for development? Arcobello is your guy; Green has an AHL-only contract now. It’s also very possible that two Oiler Cs go down with injury and Arcobello gets a call. He’s definitely depth but he’s solid depth, and I think if the Oilers were really worried about spots on the 50 man roster they would trade players for low round draft picks. I think they could package pretty much any 2-way contract they currently have or trade it straight up for a low draft pick, so if they needed to, I don’t see why they couldn’t just trade him. I’ll be cheering for him and would love to see him as a callup for a few games as some point. I think he may be more serviceable than Cornet, and at the very least he’s close, and Cornet got a callup.

29. Dalton says:

I should rephrase what I said earlier. I meant to say that anytime you look up, period, Arcobello is out there. Lots of minutes.

30. BBG & CS: Tryouts, OKC "Model", & Minor League Life says:

[...] “What are his positives? He is an excellent EV strength player in the AHL. Arcobello’s 73, 14-22-36 was a very good even strength number and his 185 shots on goal rank in the league’s top 50. What are his negatives? Well, size for one and the other thing is that he is now 24 (birthday last week) and is not an impact player even at the AHL level.” – via Lowetide [...]