RE 12-13: COLTEN TEUBERT

Colten Teubert has draft pedigree and a window of opportunity with the Edmonton Oilers. He has a major opportunity with a young team and is probably the first callup option as we enter training camp. What could go wrong?

RE 12-13: 5, 0-0-0

1. Man these callups are not getting any points. Teubert played 24 games last season in Edmonton with one assist to show for it. Offense is not his calling card.
  2. How far away is he? Teubert looked like he was a far distance from helping when he was here, but Todd Nelson spoke very highly of him and that guy is pretty straightforward. I’ll say half a season to one year.
  3. Who will he replace? The obvious player is Andy Sutton. Similar skill sets, and of course this young man will have many years in the league.
  4. Is there some urgency for him to get established? Yes and no. Yes, he’s 22 and you’d like to see him show some progress in the NHL, and no because he’s played 24 NHL games in his first two pro seasons so it is clear they are looking for him to make the grade.
  5. How many NHL games did Peckham play in his first two pro seasons? 16. So he’s on track.
  6. You only have Teubert playing 5 games this season. Part of it has to do with the Oilers having 8 signed guys above him and part of it has to do with the fact they don’t have a waiver worry with Teubert. But if he played 50 games this season we shouldn’t be shocked. Edmonton likes this player.
  7. Can he and Peckham co-exist on one roster? In Edmonton. Hell fans would be clamoring for more of these guys if there were 6 of them and Jeff Petry.
  8. No. Be Serious. Yeah, I think they can be on the same roster. Edmonton’s top 7D currently boasts complete (when healthy) defender Ryan Whitney, another pair of complete types (developing) in Petry and Justin Schultz. The rest of the group–Ladislav Smid, Nick Schultz, Andy Sutton and Theo Peckham–are all at least somewhat similar to Colten Teubert.
  9. What are his issues? Teubert’s former AHL coach Mark Morris: “Like most guys who enter the American Hockey League, the biggest challenge is making the reads. He is a strong skater, so if he makes a poor read he has the ability to eat up ground and shut people down. What I like about him is that he seems to get a piece of somebody every time he is on the ice, and he is a hard guy to play against. At times when he handles the puck, he might not make the best choice, but he keeps the game fairly simple. He is an old school defenceman in my books; the type of guy that everybody will appreciate over the course of time.He’s not going to wow you in the beginning, but I think over time he will prove that he is a force to be reckoned with and he can be a reliable, dependable defender.”
  10. Is he improving? I would say that at this point Teubert is a guy the Barons count on. They noticed his absence when Teubert was hurt, lots of talk about missing his calm feet and PK ability. So he’s showing well and taking on responsibiliy in a very good league. That’s a good arrow.
  11. Still think he’s good value for Penner? Combined with Klefbom that’s a deal that benefits the Oilers. Penner is a helluva player, and I would not have made the trade because once again it set back the cluster. However, Klefbom is the 2nd best D prospect in the system and Teubert looks like he’ll have a career. A good return for a year and a bit of Dustin Penner–especially for a rebuilding team.
  12. There are a lot of Oiler fans who think Teubert is a dud. We saw 24 games worth last season and he is unready but young and developing. Beyond that, I don’t see any proof available that tells us Teubert can’t play. I think he has a big of a target on him because of the Penner deal, which is unfair.
  13. How much will he play? If he turns out, Teubert should be able to help at evens and on the PK. So I’ll say 20 minutes a night. Doesn’t mean he’ll do it, but the opportunity is there.
  14. Teubert doesn’t have a unique skill set. True, there are lots of players like him. However, Teubert has size, decent speed and is a punishing hitter. He’s faster than Plante and is as nasty a defenseman as the Oilers employ. He’ll serve a role here or elsewhere.
  15. Among the prospects below him, who will threaten his position? Teubert has all the things Edmonton looks for in a stay at home type but as mentioned above the ‘reads’ are the holdup. David Musil–another player with footspeed issues–is apparently dynamite in this area and that kid could end up pushing all these guys aside. Beyond that, Kirill Tulupov had a chance but it appears the organization has allowed him to slip through their hands.
  16. Is that a bad thing? Tulupov would have been a player to keep in my opinion. He’s so big, if the light ever goes on the results could be impressive.
  17. How far can he make it up the Oilers depth chart? Do you mean can he play top 4? Yes, I think he could. 20 minutes a night, 3 on the PK and 17 at evens.
  18. Will he play 200 NHL games? I believe he’ll get past that before his 27th birthday.
  19. Will he play 500 NHL games? I would guess he’ll pass that too.
  20. REALLY? Yes. Teubert is almost there for crying out loud. People talk about him being a failed 1st round draft pick like he’s playing in the ECHL. Colten Teubert was taken #13 overall four years ago, is now playing the AHL at level par or better and has enjoyed a prolonged stretch as an NHL defenseman. I think Oiler fans are getting spoiled by the #1 overall selections. We shouldn’t forget this guy, he will come in handy. He may never be more than a #5D, he may never be any better than Theo Peckham is right now. But we don’t know that, and even if he ends up being exactly that, Colten Teubert should have a career.

17 Responses to "RE 12-13: COLTEN TEUBERT"

1. stevezie says:

I think the last section could easily apply to Plante. True he has never looked good in NHL action, but defencive defenceman rarely make all-star teams, and 23 is not beyond hope in d-man years. I was against picking him where we did and don’t know if he’ll find a spot in Edmonton (Musil, Teubert, and Peckham are all either younger or further along), but I put a lot of stock in his breakout season last year.

This training camp is going to be matter a lot for a lot of defenceman.

I would say Plante’s below Teubert for a few reasons, foot speed and his injury history among them.

3. stevezie says:

I agree, I’m just saying I think Plante is a respectable dark horse.

4. OilLeak says:

Teubert is 6’4″ and about 195lbs at 22, he’s a beanpole and I’m not sure how he’s supposed to be the “Big and Rugged Defenseman” when he’s really not that big, he’s just tall. His size would not be an issue if he had some special skills that he could bring to the table, he doesn’t. Plante is bigger, a much better player(IMO) at this point and is just 1 year older than Teubert. Plante has been in the Oilers system for a long time and Teubert hasn’t, and I think many people start looking to Teubert as a NHL option, just because everyone is tired at looking at Plante.

Many have the opinion that Teubert will be a player but I just don’t see it, he better have a great year in the OKC this upcoming season.

5. OilLeak says:

stevezie:
    I agree, I’m just saying I think Plante is a respectable dark horse.

I still take Plante over Teubert at this point, foot speed, concussion issues and all. That being said, I’m not sure either will pan out.

6. Ducey says:

I get a kick out of people writing off 22 yr old players they have hardly seen play.

Lee Fogolin and Jason Smith were 25/26 before they became reliable. Jeff Beukeboom played 800 games in the NHL and won 3 cups and profiled the same.

Some guys learn quick, others (usually the defensive types) take longer. The point is that when they do learn they become useful.

I thought Tuebert pinched too much at the offensive blue line in his NHLgames. That can be fixed easily.

Hopefully the new CBA allows teams to keep these guys in the minors a little longer to develop.

7. gd says:

I sense most Oiler fans underrate him as a prospect because he has been slow developing. He was a first round pick in the potentially greatest D draft of all time. He played regular minutes on two great WJC teams, of which almost every other Dman is now a regular in the NHL. He is only 22 and only had two pro years, and my impression is stay at home bruiser is the hardest learning curve other than goalie, as these guys have to learn how to be mean and tough without taking too many penalties. It also is encouraging sign for him that his injury was a big setback for OKC in the playoffs.

I’ve got to think if there is anyone who Steve Smith, Rocky Thompson and Andy Sutton can help mentor, it would Teubert. Properly developed he could fill the Matt Greene roll in two years. Whatever weight we need to get on RNH we need double on Teubert.

8. Vince says:

Fedun then teubert. I understand Fedun skill set and age means he,s gotta get a look even if its before teubert and plante.

now or never. I vote now.

9. VOR says:

Reading these last few posts and the responses I wonder what Oilers fans would say if miraculously we traded Linus Omark for Tomas Vokoun and just before the start of the regular season (hopefully this fall) we traded Vokoun for a failed prospect, a dman who went -39 in 72 games despite being “sheltered” and future considerations.

For those of you who don’t know the story, in 1985 Glen Sather brilliantly traded Paul Houck (who’d play 16 games in the NHL) to Minnesota for Gilles Melcohe. It looked like the steal of the year. Then Meloche decided he wouldn’t be happy here, or at least not for what the Oilers wanted to pay. Sather, over a barrel, traded Meloche, for a once promising winger, Tim Hrynewich, who would not play another game in the NHL, a disasterouly bad dman, and the proverbial box of hockey pucks.

Nobody the Oilers got back in the Meloche deal had remotely the pedigree of the young men who are on the cusp of making the OIlers D.

Yet if any of us had the chance to make the Tim Hyrnewich trade today we’d leap at it. Marty McSorley, “the worst defencemen in the NHL” as the Pittsburgh press liked to call him, would look really good on the Oilers blue line right now. The future considerations weren’t much, a chance to pick from among a bunch of career minior leaguers. Sather picked a Dman with 250 AHL games named Craig Muni.

Sather apparently didn’t believe there was some best before date on defencemen. Mind you he once employed, as Lowetide recently pointed out, a D-man who could limbo dance without leaning backwards. So what did he know?

10. gr8one says:

We’re definitely being spoiled by the #1′s.

My gawd…we as fans can be so imaptient.

He is only TWENTY TWO! That’s a baby for a NHL defenseman…what was Smid doing at 22? Jason Smith?

The new Saviour Justin Schultz is only twenty two and still hasn’t played a lick of pro hockey…there’s still tons of room for Teubert to grow.

11. OilLeak says:

VOR,

I just don’t think Teubert has what it takes to be a NHL regular regardless of his future progression. I think Teubert is a poor mans Plante in every facet, with the the exception being his skating.

Smid began as a as a superior player and provided more offense earlier in his career than Teubert and it still took him forever to become a legitimate NHL shutdown defenseman.

What exactly does Teubert bring to the table?

12. delooper says:

Oilleak: Smid is only 26 years old. In what world is that forever for an NHL defenseman? Matt Greene is 29 and he only recently came into his prime, he was just starting to scratch at it when the Oilers traded him.

13. VOR says:

Oilleak,

The problems with your argument are two fold. 1. The difference between their skating abilities is really significant. I think most posters here share the opnion that if Plante was an above average skater he would already be playing as a regular in the NHL. Teubert is only slightly above average in terms of skating speed but he is really good laterally and crossing over. He is outstanding in his balance and strength on skates. So more upside for Teubert. 2. Plante is several years ahead of Teubert in terms of experience in the pro game. At this point in their careers such things matter a great deal.

I like Plante and think he will have a career but Teubert is simply the better prospect at the moment. Entirely because of his skating. Otherwise I’d tend to agree with your overall assessment just not your certainty about the future.

14. Kris11 says:

“what was Smid doing at 22? Jason Smith?”

I am pretty sure Smid didnt “do” Jason Smith. (Or maybe that’s why Smith left town?)

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

15. franksterra says:

I get a kick out of people who claim fans with a few questions or concerns are “running the kids out of town! Writing them off!”

I think the Teubert/Plante and their ilk questions boil down to crowded rosters and a sense that the Brass have yet to prove that they are good to great at internal player development, recent OKC experience notwithstanding. They can’t all get quality minutes even across two leagues (J.Schutlz, Peckham, Potter, Fedun, Marincin, Gernat, Davidson, Musil, Bigos, Laleggia, etc, plus the necessary career AHL vets)

I agree, “they’re only 22 for chrissakes!” But who of this bulge of 20-23 year olds (not Potter) are we keeping, developing, bringing along?

16. dessert1111 says:

For me, Teubert isn’t exciting for a number of reasons: his ceiling is lower than pretty much any of the other defensive prospects, we’ve seen him more at the NHL level than any of those other prospects and he didn’t show well, and I don’t think it will take much for him to get passed on the depth chart. I think he’s going into training camp as #9, and perhaps rightfully so, but all it takes is Fedun to play like he did one year ago to pass him, and although he is ahead of Plante right now I think, I think if Plante puts it together he will be a more worthwhile player to have as a 6/7 bruiser. That being said, I think out of these three, Fedun has the best chance at being on the team when it’s good. I know the other prospects are further away, but I mean, there are just so many and they all seem to be tracking well, so I would be very surprised if at least a couple of them didn’t pull thru. Schutlz, Klefbom, Musil, Fedun, Simpson, Gernat, Marincin, Davidson. etc. are all more interesting prospects to me at this point, which is why I am not that excited about Teubert anymore. If we have Schultz, Klefbom, Petry and Smid, I’d rather Gernat, Musil and Fedun or Simpson or Davidson worked out filled out the bottom of the roster at this point because I think they have the more necessary tools to make a really strong D core. Of course, there are a million ifs, so if we’re playing the odds, Teubert will make it before many of these guys; he just doesn’t interest me much these days.

17. BBG&CS: Concussed, Developing, Strength & Conditioning says:

[...] “Teubert is almost there for crying out loud. People talk about him being a failed 1st round draft pick like he’s playing in the ECHL. Colten Teubert was taken #13 overall four years ago, is now playing the AHL at level par or better and has enjoyed a prolonged stretch as an NHL defenseman. I think Oiler fans are getting spoiled by the #1 overall selections. We shouldn’t forget this guy, he will come in handy. He may never be more than a #5D, he may never be any better than Theo Peckham is right now. But we don’t know that, and even if he ends up being exactly that, Colten Teubert should have a career.” via Lowetide [...]