RE 12-13: COREY POTTER

Corey Potter benefited from Tom Renney’s ‘local knowledge’ and found a home in Edmonton with the Oilers. Potter played so well early he won a contract, but followed it with injury and inconsistent play. Where is he now?

RE 12-13: 16, 0-2-2

1. So what happened with Potter? The injury hurt and then the team played like trash and he wasn’t helping. There are AHL guys in the AHL who just need a chance, and maybe Potter can come back and play at the level he did early (10, 2-6-8 +2). However, he was flagging before the injury and finished 61, 2-11-13 -18.
  2. He’ll play more than you’re suggesting. I just don’t see it. RH side for Edmonton this season will be Petry and Schultz, followed by the veteran leftovers among Sutton, Whitney and Schultz the elder.
  3. He played well with Whitney and they’ll do it again. The WOWY number for Potter does show Whitney as the most successful partner but I can’t see him being the #6 defender on this team.
  4. Why not? Well, Potter is going to play behind Smid-Petry and Nick Schultz too. Justin Schultz is going to get a major push and Whitney will play even if he’s no better than last season. That’s 5. After that, Andy Sutton and Theo Peckham are there.
  5. So Potter is EIGHTH? Yes, I have him #8 on the depth chart.
  6. Where did he play a year ago? 16.5 minutes a night at evens had him 5th among D, he played about a minute on the PK and led the blue with PP minutes (2:28 a night).
  7. Who gets those minutes? I have Schultz grabbing the PP minutes and some of the EV minutes, with Sutton taking the PK time and the rest of the EV minutes. Your mileage may vary.
  8. Is there any hope for him as a top 6D? Sure. He could come to training camp and be the 3rd best right-side Dman and play well all year. I don’t think it is reasonable to expect it.
  9. How many D are you going to list on your RE? Just two more, we could go on forever but I’m stopping at 10. After that, I think it is so wide open picking the correct candidate is impossible.
  10. TEN? Interesting. Well the last two are cups of coffee but they should be mentioned.
  11. You didn’t even have the correct number of games for the forwards. I stole a few games from the F for the blue because there’s every chance 8D start the year with the big club.
  12. What a crock. That preacher guy caught you and now you’re covering. No, I had it that way because that’s how the current roster set up. You could credit speeds for the idea though, that’s the first person I saw mentioning it.
  13. So defense is like pitching, carry an extra arm? Hmm. I don’t think that really works as a comparison. Defensemen are valuable because if you don’t have them you’re screwed, but pitching in baseball is on another level. You can never have enough of either, though.
  14. Maybe Potter is the guy who gets traded. Makes sense to me.
  15. He’s the guy you’d choose? No, I’d trade Sutton. He’ll be a grandpa by the time this team is contending for anything.
  16. Who are your top 6D when the Oilers make the playoffs? Oh, geez. That’s a tough one. Okay. Smid-Petry, Whitney-Schultz, Klefbom-Schultz the elder and Peckham.
  17. Groundbreaking. That’s the blue I see playing in 13-14 and that’s the year I expect the Oilers will make the playoffs.
  18. Not this season? No, but I do think they’ll be better. The GF total should tell you that much.
  19. Pessimist. Realist.
  20. What about GA? We’ll get to it directly.

27 Responses to "RE 12-13: COREY POTTER"

1. shawnmullin says:

Does anyone else picture the Gollum conversations with himself from Lord of the Rings when Lowetide does these posts? No? Just me? Carry on…

2. justDOit says:

shawnmullin,

Did I miss the RE of Sam Gamgee (sp?).

3. BrazilianOil says:

Teubert & Plante are 9th &10th ?

5. BrazilianOil says:

offtopic: favourite european soccer team?

6. PaperDesigner says:

Teubert and Marincin, then. Marincin is going to get an organizational push.

Mine? I used to know a guy who cheered for Ajax, which is a Dutch team I believe. So they are a team I kind of know, and then my daughter’s name is Chelsea so I cheer for them too. I like the underdogs, so if there’s a team that looks likely to be on the fringe for 7 years or so, that’s the ticket!

No. You have one correct, one incorrect. I’ll say no more.

9. BrazilianOil says:

i like to compare the Oilers with the FCBarcelona. Very talent young guys. Hope Krueger be a Guardiola kind of coach.

10. Scott Reynolds says:

I missed the previous conversation about this, LT, but how does taking games from the forwards to pump some extra for the defenders make sense? Whether there’s seven or eight defenders on the roster doesn’t much matter unless you think they’ll actually play 10F and 8D or 11F and 7D in some games. Is that what you expect to happen?

Scott: Yes, I think the Oilers will end up dressing 7D at points during the season. There were a bunch of games last year where Hordichuk played 5 or fewer shifts (12 or so) and it seems to me they could (and may) dress an extra D (say Peckham) instead of sitting him weeks at a time.

He could maybe play a shift or two up front, but imo it would be more to keep these depth defenders in the rotation.

12. Cactus says:

Peckham as a LW size option perhaps? I’d pay to see a couple shifts of that. Then I’d probably pay to never see it again.

Cactus: I guess the question is how much do you lose in terms of an enforcer? Double shifting one of the gifted kids on a 4line that has (say) Hartikainen and Belanger might benefit.

14. Cactus says:

The enforcer role is an interesting question going forward with the Krueger regime. We know the Oilers like muscle. We know that Krueger spoke to Hordichuk about his role this year. But we still don’t know how often they’ll want that in the lineup. For most games? Only for those against teams with noted heavyweights? It’s one of the many uncertainties that the coaching change adds to our prognostications.

Personally, if you want that enforcer, I’d try to get it from Sutton primarity (the guy is a beast and isn’t afraid of putting someone’s head into the boards – perhaps too often for Shanahan’s tastes) and Hartikainen. I know he doesn’t fit into the brawler category, but he’s not afraid of a hard hit and some less than legal maneuvers. I don’t see this combination as likely, but with a new coach, who knows?

Cactus: Well MacT found a guy who could enforce and keep the puck 300 feet from the net (Laraque) when on the 4line by cycling (really playing keepaway). I’d certainly settle for another one and consider it a bargain.

16. Cactus says:

That’s a good reference. I know we’re all hoping that Hartikainen can become some size and strength in the top 6, but if that’s not possible (and let’s be honest, it’s not extremely likely), what’s wrong with him serving that role in the bottom 6? The Oilers could then have their new Laraque – only he’d be a Finn!

17. gogliano says:

I think carrying 8D makes all the sense in the world but I’m not sure if the Oil see it. Who was the poster who calculated playing time for depth defenders? Knighttown? Whoever it was made a pretty persuasive argument that depth in defense carries a lot more weight than 13th and 14th forwards. When you add in the fact that our 8D is at best 7.5D because of Whitney’s health questions, I really hope they roll 8D if they all happen to be healthy to start the year.

And my bet for LT’s surprise defender is Fedun. Might get a cup of coffee as a feel good comeback story if nothing else.

18. hunter1909 says:

Laraque was a joy to behold. I remember always expecting him to score, lol.

After watching Yakupov’s goal v Canada the over and under looks like 35 goals next season. Whenever that is.

19. jp says:

The goal numbers say that, but the corsi numbers are less impressive with Whitney, and actually very good with Sutton. I 100% agree that he’s #8 on the depth chart, but it’s isn’t very hard to see him playing significant top 6 minutes. All it would take is Peckham continuing to play like last year (I hope he improves, but if not I think the leash will be shorter) and someone else getting injured (or obviously 2 injuries). No problem with the RE, but certainly he could play more.

Do you expect to see him shipped to OKC at some point? Tough to imagine him up all year and only getting 16 GP. I think he has a better chance of clearing waivers than Peckham. I’d also prefer risking Potter on waivers than Peckham unless the latter is an utter mess in camp or shows up carrying 15 cheese burgers in his shirt.

JP: I don’t think he’ll last the season, no. He’s kind of in the Chorney slot so he might be in St. Louis by Christmas.

21. jp says:

Cactus: That’s a good reference.I know we’re all hoping that Hartikainen can become some size and strength in the top 6, but if that’s not possible (and let’s be honest, it’s not extremely likely), what’s wrong with him serving that role in the bottom 6?The Oilers could then have their new Laraque – only he’d be a Finn!

Has any one else played a similar style to Laraque? Basically keep away as LT said, but virtually no ability to do anything with the puck other than that… I can’t think of anything similar.

22. jp says:

Sounds like a probable outcome. He’ll stick as the #7 if injuries hit, and I also think he could clear waivers and end up helping out OKC though.

23. jp says:

No. You have one correct, one incorrect. I’ll say no more.

Teubert has to be the correct one – Plante misses the boat. Kinda sad, but even with his progress it’s difficult to see him as a decent regular NHLer.

The other… I’m wasn’t sold on Fedun last TC, and obviously things haven’t improved since then. Didn’t you mention the hypothetical FA/trade addition at some point? Though all the GP totals don’t fit with that. Otherwise my guess is Klefbom. Probably won’t do any good for his development, but it would be fun to see him a year early. I know you won’t let us know till you post, but thought I’d speculate out loud…

24. Cactus says:

jp: Hartikainen is not an enforcer, and can not control the play like Laraque did. I think he should be on the 4th line this season, but he doesn’t give many of the same things Laraque did.

I’ll completely concede that he’s not an enforcer, but there’s no evidence yet to say that he doesn’t control the play. At the NHL level, he’s had two cups of coffee (12 games in 2010-11 and 17 games last season). Both small sample sizes, so we don’t really know what we’re dealing with yet, but in 2010-11 he managed the only positive Corsi score for forwards over 10 games, playing against terrible competition. However, last year he had a very poor Corsi, though playing against very good comp.

My point in raising this wasn’t to suggest that Hartikainen can be a new Laraque but instead to open up a new possible role for him. Most of the debate about him seems to be whether or not he can step into the top six and add size. I think that’s too narrow a focus. Hartikainen may have the tools to be a very useful 3rd or 4th liner: he can score some, he’s big and decent at keeping possession and he’s not afraid to hit. Nothing wrong with this being his future role.

25. Ribs says:

Hartikainen is good at keeping possession? I think I must have been watching some other guy named Hartikeenan or something. He rarely held the puck from what I recall. He was mostly chasing it and opposing players around the ice. He fights hard on the boards and in the corners but I sure wouldn’t be calling it a possession game.

Laraque would skate into a corner with the puck and just fend guys off with his one arm. He would have the puck on his stick the whole time. That’s possession.

As for Potter, I really like him on the power play. Hopefully he can regain his solid defensive play that he showed early last season and sustain it.

26. Scott Reynolds says:

Fair enough, then, LT. I’d be pretty surprised if the Oilers went that route for more than a game or two, but I certainly wouldn’t object, especially if it’s to use Peckham in place of Hordichuk.

27. Truth says:

Laraque’s “ability” to hold the puck in the corner was easily his worst quality. You could hardly call it cycling the puck. Sure, he could put the puck in the corner with his stick in the area and fend off the opponents with his free hand, but the opponent always got the puck eventually. The rest of the Oilers on the ice might as well have went for a line change and waited at centre ice because there was no chance they were going to touch the puck. Even worse was when he thought his “ability” would translate into goal scoring by meandering towards the net, surely to be stripped of the puck and be by far the last man out of all 10 skaters on the ice entering the Oilers zone. Laraque’s only useful quality was the ability to kick the crap out of virtually anyone in the league, one that he eventually abandoned in an attempt to use his other “abilities” more often. That, and he would no longer fight anyone who didn’t want to fight him. In his later years he was a joke of an NHL enforcer.

Anyways, Fedun really was impressive last year in training camp. If it was my RE series I would have Fedun playing all of Potters NHL games (as long as its at least a month into the season before a callup), plus what is included in Fedun’s RE. I think Potter has become completely redundant with the arrival of Schultz and was only around due to Renney’s familiarity with him. Potter should serve as a good AHL veteran, hopefully not taking the developmental minutes of those who need them on the farm.