RE 12-13: RALPH KRUEGER

The Edmonton Oilers have been flushing coaching men at a dizzying rate since MacT left town. Ralph Krueger is the latest ‘great hope’ at coach, and is a very interesting fellow.

1. There isn’t a lot on him. Actually, there’s a TON about Ralph Krueger. Friedman’s 30 thoughts could fill a book. Man there’s some interesting stuff in there.
  2. Like what? Krueger: “The only way we’re going to learn to win is by having a solid team structure. We had a lot of ‘immature games’ last season…they were fun to play and watch, but we lost. We need to learn to manage the game better — play to the score, the clock, the situation.”
  3. What does that mean? A little tighter in their own zone, less running around, fewer penalties taken because the defensive player lost position.
  4. Any other quotes? Krueger: “finding a team defensive structure that works for the whole game, but allows players to use their intuition offensively.”
  5. Was that the best stuff? NO. Here’s Friedman: He explained that he liked Jordan Eberle with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Sam Gagner with Ales Hemsky. That not only allows him to move Hall around the lineup, but also rotate others depending on the situation — Ryan Smyth, Ryan Jones, Ben Eager and potentially even Shawn Horcoff on the wing. I’m really curious to see this. This stuff fascinates me.
  6. Wow. I KNOW!
  7. It’s kind of the road map. Yes. And I think it offers us some clues about roster makeup–at least in the beginning.
  8. What’s his background? Grew up in Steinbach, Manitoba. Dual citizen, Canada-Germany. Played junior for the Calgary Wranglers when Doug Sauter was holding court back in the day.Krueger also has interests outside hockey. He also is a motivational speaker and author of the book Teamlife: Over Setbacks to Success, which has been translated into four languages. A nice read on him is here.
  9. What else? Bruce McCurdy did a very nice job here. And Jonathan Willis–the Duke Ellington of the oilogosphere–had a wonderful item here that gives background on him. Willis’ piece is before he was hired, I find that sort of information valuable.
  10. So he helped on the PP? Yes, but as Jon mentioned we shouldn’t expect that kind of success in some areas. However, Tom Renney was hired in Detroit partly for his apparent PP acumen so I don’t want to hard sell Krueger’s involvement. It was an area of responsibility during a period where the PP flourished. That is a good sign.
  11. Are there already good signs? Yes. The players were very verbal in their endorsement, and Krueger’s interviews show him to be exceptionally talented in terms of getting big ideas across credibly. He’s a really smart guy.
  12. What do you think we’ll see? My hope is that Krueger brings a sense of purpose to the group.
  13. Right you are, the players need to be smarter. I was thinking more of management needing to be smarter and more aggressive.
  14. What was that? I don’t think the Oiler players are the problem. Sure they were too young, or not good enough to play their roles on the team, but that’s a management issue. My sincere hope is that Ralph Krueger will have the courage to argue for the most effective roster. Right from opening night.
  15. What do you mean? We’ve already seen signs. Rumors of the Oilers looking around for goaltending, or their interest in Mark Streit. These are smart moves.
  16. Maybe Steve Tambellini has decided the time for procuring youth is over.  Might have nothing to do with this Krueger fellow. Quite true, and I don’t want to oversell Krueger. However, news of the Oilers being interested in someone who is actually a good fit for the needs of the team is a positive. If they make that kind of move, I’ll credit Tambellini all day long. But I’ll also believe Krueger–and maybe MacT–had something to do with it.
  17. Oh here we bloody go. What?
  18. Let’s move on. What is your RE for Ralph Krueger? I think his team will win 38-42 games and be one of the major surprises in the western conference.
  19. Will they make the playoffs? Don’t know. MacT’s 07-08 team won 41 games and missed the second season.
  20. But they’ll be in contention? That’s what the RE is telling me.
  21. How close were you last year? My RE guess was 223-247, -24
  22. Where did they finish? 207-220, -13.
  23. So the Oilers did better than you projected? Yes. Although several blowouts meant their W-L record wasn’t as good as it might have been.
  24. What are your RE projections for this season? 224-223.

60 Responses to "RE 12-13: RALPH KRUEGER"

1. bookje says:

Ralph Kruger is Chuck Norris

I believe in the guy. He is going to fix what is wrong with the Oilers. He just seems awesome.

He seems to really have his pulse on the team, on motivating other, and on the NHL game.

With that said, in some ways I feel like I am being seduced by a really attractive women at the bar and that it just seems too good to be true and I am just waiting for her to start talking about ‘payment’ and reality will come crashing down.

But for now, I am going for the home run and calling for the Oilers to make the playoffs and be a bit of a threat.

2. D says:

LT,

I predict the coaching merry-go-round ends with Krueger.

3. BrazilianOil says:

Still you belive that is possible Streit becomes an Oiler, what should be right the price?

IYO If they add Streit and a backup goalie ( put a reasonable name here) your RE will be good enough to guarantee the playoffs?

More questions… Could a Eberle trade bring us the 1# D the team needs?

BrazilianOil:
    Still youbelive that is possible Streit becomes an Oiler, what should be right the price?

IYO Ifthey add Streit and a backup goalie ( put a reasonable name here) your RE will be good enough to guarantee the playoffs?

More questions… Could aEberle trade bring us the 1# D the team needs?

I think a good backup and a guy like Streit puts them in a very good position. You can’t get a guarantee on one damn thing in sports and that’s the truth.

I don’t think the Oilers can trade Jordan Eberle. Seriously. There’s no way to make that trade that involves him imo unless someone outrageous is coming back. But a regular hockey trade? That’s professional suicide for ST.

5. JorgeR04 says:

I am worried that the rebuild plan has one more year to go. What if Tamblowkatz plan from day one was one more year of high draft picks – would be a reason we keep hiring new coachs from within. Krueger does not improve the team as they should/media says the team underperformed and then the door is wide open for MacT to return to the bench. What if this was the master plan since Mac T left? Go relax for a few years, makes some friends at TSN, then when your ready we will re-insert you in time for the team to start winning.

Otherwise, why not get a stronger back-up and give Krueger a chance to succeed?

In my mind, life is just a movie, and this is the plot line. Right?

6. Cactus says:

bookje,

That’s all you have to say Bookje? I was expecting a heroic epic given your buildup over the last month of threads!

In seriousness, this is a really smart, articulate guy with at least some experience. When in doubt, those qualities will carry the day. Failing that, he can always yell at the team in German.

7. BrazilianOil says:

JorgeR04,

IMO the plan is not tanking to win a lottery pick again. I think they will not make the big steep inproving the team until they feel the kids are ready.

8. jake70 says:

Just hope Krueger doesn’t live in…a… VAN….DOWN BY THE RIVER!

9. bendelson says:

Kreugerlife.

Kostenlos anmelden.

10. bookje says:

jake70:
    Just hope Krueger doesn’t live in…a… VAN….DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Greatestest clip ever!

11. Jesse says:

LT,

I haven’t heard any of the goaltending rumors. What are they?

I read somewhere Edmonton had been talking to BOS about acquiring Tim Thomas (obviously to move out a spot) for NK. And there were also rumors that EDM was interested in Jonathan Bernier but I’m not sure if any of those were credible.

13. ashley says:

It looks like this might be a good hire. Time will tell. Based on some of those quotes, I suspect it will be an improvement over Renney….for this team.

Renney overcoached, IMO. He had his complex analysis and opinion going 24/7, and the micromanaging and criticism gets old, fast, especially for talented young players who “sense” what to do via intuition, but are chastised for trying anything out of the box in which they have been placed.

The players most susceptible to underperformance in an overstructured system are the “nice guys”; The guys with healthy respect for authority, unwilling to say “F this, I’m going to take it to the net”. Guys like Gagner, MPS, maybe even this new Schultz dman fall into this category. I expect they will excel under Kreuger compared to last year.

Defense requires some structure. Breaking a trap and designing a basic outlet play out of the zone require players to be on the same page. A player in front of the net and one on the side wall on the PP makes sense. After that, let the boys do what they’ve been doing since they were 4yo. Create great hockey plays.

The only thing I worry about is all this motivational stuff. A lot of the time the most important thing to say after a shift, a period, or a game is nothing at all. The players are more likely to listen when the words are few, but well chosen. I hope Kreuger has the wisdom to pick his spots, another failing of Renney.

Whenever you read what NHL players say about their best coaches, the same few things come up.

“He gave me a defined role”

“He let me know what expectations were”

“He had a game plan and everyone was accountable to the game plan”

It all comes down to communication.

You’d hear many of the Ole Timey coaches could go weeks without talking directly to a player, and when they did it would vague without specific direction.

Like a coach prattling on about “Barbara Ann Scott” in pressers.

The response from the Oiler players about Krueguer’s hiring is uniformly positive, and most of them talked about his communication skills.

A lot of Oilers have already said that Ralph has called them and talked about their role on the team.

They also talked about his ability to go off on a player when needed. That’s good too.

Well defined roles, well defined game plan, keeping everyone accountable.

Nothing worse than a coach not communication and therefore causing a player to be indecisive while playing the fastest professional sport that requires more reflexive actions than having to think to keep up with the pace.

“Don’t think, you’ll only hurt the team”

He’ll do well.

He also has the easiest job in the NHL. Take a 29th place team with 3 1st overall, a 22nd that goes top 5 in a redraft and maybe a young Dman that goes top 10 in a redraft. A good PK and PP to work with, and a young goalie who posted a top 15 5v5 SV% in the NHL, and make them better than 29th.

A Dman and a real back up and these guys are playing meaningful games in early April.

C’mon MacT, get it done!

15. DSF says:

LT.

Your RE for the season are way out of whack and here’s why.

1) the Oilers will not get HHOF goaltending for the first 12 games of the season as they did last season. They just won’t.

The Oilers gave up just 1.6 GPG in that stretch.

If they give up league average GPG (which is optimistic) they will give up 2.66 GPG.

That’s an additional 10 GA.

2) The Oilers will not score 9-2 and 8-4 blowout wins over Chicago.

DSF RE: 205-230 -25.

Book it.

DSF:
    LT.

Your RE for the season are way out of whack and here’s why.

The Oilers gave up just 1.6 GPG in that stretch.

That’s an additional 10 GA.

2) The Oilers will not score 9-2 and 8-4 blowout wins over Chicago.

DSF RE: 205-230 -25.

Book it.

Willing to do an over/under with -25 as the point?

DSF: so, they’re going to slip from last season. Interesting.

18. DSF says:

Woodguy: Willing to do an over/under with -25 as the point?

I didn’t fall off the truck last night.

LT picked +1.

Pick a number between +1 and -25 and we’ll talk.

BTW, we go into the season DB 19 – AH 9.

19. Ducey says:

Where did they finish? 207-220, -13

I know I am getting dense in my old age, but this confuses me. The Oilers went 212-239 for -27 last year. Where did these numbers come from?

20. DSF says:

DSF: so, they’re going to slip from last season. Interesting.

Yeah, I think they will.

A little.

Those first 12 games are not repeatable IMO and their low shot totals will kill them.

More games from Dubnyk should help a bit (maybe) but not enough to counter everything else.

I also think the PP will drop off significantly once opposing teams get a read on it.

DSF: I didn’t fall off the truck last night.

LT picked +1.

Pick a number between +1 and -25 and we’ll talk.

BTW, we go into the season DB 19 – AH 9.

-24

22. jp says:

If Kruger is half as good at motivating the players as he is the fans, everything will be fine.

23. FastOil says:

I like Krueger. There are many fingers in the pie, so we’ll see what a guy who has been successful can do in this job.

I think there is enough data now to suggest that a serious attempt at winning is not in the offing. No success/attempts to acquire missing pieces. I am not as worried about goal as RH D. Once injuries start (even normal levels) the D will be too weak to seriously compete.

There is no way Lowe, as a former high level defenceman, and after three lottery picks, is not aware of this. To suggest otherwise is not credible at this point. Perhaps a trade is coming, it’s just that the pattern is exactly the same as before. I will be surprised.

Personally, I’m ok with that, if there is a great centre or D in 2013. To me it is either win big or lose big. In between for next season without some excellent roster changes would be a waste. Leaving obvious holes and climbing up a bit is not the right strategy. Acquire maximum assets for nothing or try to win now. Taylor will survive one more bad season, and he’ll be rope-able in 2014 if he is still playing :)

24. DSF says:

Woodguy: -24

Zero.

Ducey:
    Where did they finish? 207-220, -13

I know I am getting dense in my old age, but this confuses me.The Oilers went 212-239 for -27 last year.Where did these numbers come from?

My RE takes out shootout GF and empty net goals. I use hockey-reference GF-GA.

26. JorgeR04 says:

DSF: LT.Your RE for the season are way out of whack and here’s why.1) 2) The Oilers will not score 9-2 and 8-4 blowout wins over Chicago.3) The Oilers were 29th in the league for SF/G but 20th in G/G. That will regress to the mean and adding two rookies won’t change things much.DSF RE: 205-230 -25.Book it.

Wouldn’t the fact that you don’t expect them to have blow out games possibly help with the wins? Instead of racking up out RE goals in two big wins, we can spread them out and expect a few more wins this time?

Or I suppose you are just saying total goals won’t be as high as he is estimating. Either way, your anti-Oilers comments always come off so douchey on here.

27. DSF says:

JorgeR04: Wouldn’t the fact that you don’t expect them to have blow out games possibly help with the wins?Instead of racking up out RE goals in two big wins, we can spread them out and expect a few more wins this time?

Based on what?

The addition of 2 rookies to the team?

You have to bear in mind that other teams have not stood still while the Oilers added those rookies.

28. DSF says:

Or I suppose you are just saying total goals won’t be as high as he is estimating.Either way, your anti-Oilers comments always come off so douchey on here.

No, I think they will give up more goals and, based on shots for, score a few less.

29. JorgeR04 says:

DSF,

You don’t believe in progression of a core group of high picks from 19 – 24 years old? No statistics that show possible progression? I could have sworn I’ve heard of atleast a few cases.

30. DSF says:

JorgeR04:
    DSF,

You don’t believe in progression of a core group of high picks from 19 – 24 years old?No statistics that show possible progression?I could have sworn I’ve heard of atleast a few cases.

Thing is, it happens with all teams including the ones the Oilers play against,

Yakupov and Schultz MAY create some new synergy but there’s also a decent chance they won’t.

What you shouldn’t count on is a 12 game stretch of out of this world goaltending and a dreadful 5V5 team having an epiphany.

Things don’t usually work that way,

31. Ducey says:

Lowetide: My RE takes out shootout GF and empty net goals. I use hockey-reference GF-GA.

Ah, thanks. Although if you fudged and used the unadjusted totals you would have only been three off :)

DSF, so the only way a team can improve is by going out and unloading a truck of money for a Garrison? It would seem that a reasonable projection would include internal improvement especially when you are dealing with a number of young, talented players. They improved by ~40 goals last year. Was that all Belanger, Eager, Barker, Hordichuk and Smyth?

32. WeridAl says:

I wonder what people are smoking to believe NYI will trade Streit. NYI D is in worse shape then Edmonton’s and with Visnovsky challenging the trade it could get a lot worse.

33. DSF says:

Ducey: Ah, thanks.Although if you fudged and used the unadjusted totals you would have only been three off

DSF, so the only way a team can improve is by going out and unloading a truck of money for a Garrison?It would seem that a reasonable projection would include internal improvement especially when you are dealing with a number of young, talented players.They improved by ~40 goals last year.Was that all Belanger, Eager, Barker, Hordichuk and Smyth?

No , it was a ridiculous early season run and two blowout wins over Chicago.

Nothing more.

34. Ducey says:

DSF: No , it was a ridiculous early season run and two blowout wins over Chicago.

Nothing more.

Ok. They apparently scored an extra 20 goals in those two games and Bulin prevented an extra 30 in those 12. Now that makes sense.

35. OilClog says:

DSF.. You honestly believe this team takes a step back?

First 9 games isn’t repeatable..

Yikes man.

36. TheOtherJohn says:

We keep hearing about a 40 goal improvement last year over the year before. Did not every one of our offensively talented forwards and Whitney sit out the last 10-12 games and the Oilers score 20 goals or so over that window? Hemsky and Whitney out for season early, Penner traded.

Wasn’t a decent chunk of that improvement 10/11 to 11/12 that we did not dress 3rd liners on our 1st line for decent amount of time

37. jp says:

Ducey: Ok.They apparently scored an extra 20 goals in those two games and Bulin prevented an extra 30 in those 12. Nowthat makes sense.

Exactly. And blowout wins and hot streaks don’t count, but everything else does. Why are you so stupid??

38. Ducey says:

TheOtherJohn:
    We keep hearing about a 40 goal improvement last year over the year before. Did not every one of our offensively talented forwards and Whitney sit out thelast 10-12 games and the Oilers score 20 goals or so over that window? Hemsky and Whitney out for season early, Penner traded.

Wasn’t a decent chunkof that improvement 10/11 to 11/12 that we did not dress 3rd liners on our 1st line for decent amount of time

Somewhat, but they still went from 30th to 23rd in goal differential in one year. They move up another 7 spots this year and they are right close to the playoffs.

39. leadfarmer says:

DSF, you know that if you include only the games that the Sedin sisters didn’t score a point you find out that they are actually are not very productive. See, the nice thing about statistics is you can make them show anything they want.

Then you can write to the nhl that blowout games should not count in statistics even though over the course of a season all teams beat up on another team and also receive a beating.

I also am entertained by you making this team have a worse season next year because of unsustainable percentages while you pick Minnesota #1 who had even a longer run of unsustainable percentages.

40. hunter1909 says:

“Gretzky’s too small for professional hockey. He’ll bust.” DSF

“Lose in the finals 4-0 to the islanders? The Oilers don’t have what it takes to win the Stanley Cup” DSF

41. mattwatt says:

I am going to refer to DSF from now on as if he is Voldemort, “He who shall not be named…”

You are right He who shall not be named. The Oilers will not replicate their hot streak to begin the season as they did in the prior one. This is certain. However, they will also their crappy goalie playing a lot less as the season progresses, which should enable them to win more games later on.

You also ignore the facts that streaks are the norm; teams get hot, they also get cold. The Oilers to start the season were cooking with fire. At other times, they had to ask every camper around them if they could spare some propane. This will happen again, for as you like to state, “chaos reigns.” With this chaos, periods of wins followed by periods of losses will occur. Book it.

The Oilers should improve next year. Not to say you are wrong to say that they may still suck (very much a possibility), but they are more likely to go forward than go back. Keys being that they are so far back that they have only room but to go up and secondly, they have a better roster this year than prior. This will likely result in them improving, but not with a 100% certainity. Again, all because “chaos reigns.”

Lastly, don’t say that the goal differential will be -25 this year for the Oilers then reneged on that commitment. Live up to it my man! For if anyone can turn a statement like that into a “yeah but….” or a “told you so….”, it is you. Revel in it young man, revel.

42. gd says:

I think the forgotten part of last season was that the team fell apart after Hall hurt his shoulder in the game in late Novemeber against Colorado. They had just payed their best game on US Thanksgiving Friday, destroying a healthy Minny and they were solidly in a playoff spot, were through the rodeo road trip and were about to come home for a very easy 6 game home stand.

Those next 25 games, where half the D got hurt, RNH trips on the blue line and separates his shoulder, they were by far the worse team in the NHL even though that was their easiest part of the schedule.

I know it’s loser talk to use injuries as an excuse, but I do think that stretch, more negatively effected the Oilers’ record, than the NK miracle of the first month flatters it. I think the Oilers were more likely 23rd best team last year, than 29th with average health. There were so few games where Hall, RNH, Eberle, Hemsky, Gagner, Whitney, Smid and Petry played together, we can’t even do a relevant statistical analysis on how good the team is when all together.

My feeling is if Krueger can instill a more effective D zone system and get a buy in from the vets, than he will be a success. 70+ games from Hall and Whitney and top 20 goaltending from DD and we should be in the race for 8th.

43. bookje says:

DSF = Dance Stupid F**kers

Look folks, DSF is too smart to actually believe everything he is saying. He totally knows that he takes biased samples and excludes inconvenient data. He also knows that it absolutely drives all of you bonkers and that you do nothing but dance like a monkey with a tin cup all night for him.

The correct response to EVERYTHING DSF says is as follows

“Yes DSF, we understand, the Oilers suck”

And then move on to the real conversation.

Really, I admire the guy, he trolls so amazingly effectively. He uses these 90% logic and 10% batshit arguments that people just NEED to respond to.

44. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

DSF,

They are not world-beaters next season, but they are 2 very highly touted rookies. Some differences in the upcoming season:
    – Schultz vs Cam Barker’s 25 games.
    – Dubnyk starts over Rehab
    – Yakupov minutes from Hordichuk/Petrell/Eager/MPS
    – fingers crossed, a healthy Hall

The clear line in the sand is regression or progression. So over/under on -13… and the blowouts and hot-streaks count.

45. boopronger says:

DSF does have amazing skill pissing people off. I dont know how he does it but dam his troll Corsi is through the roof. I wonder if he sits there and comes up with a script or if he is actually naturally that good.

46. Bruce McCurdy says:

Shootout “goals” I understand, but why take out empty net goals when they will actually count in people’s stats? (Yeah, I hate ENG too, precisely because there’s no good way to either include or ignore them … they’re an alternate state of reality, kinda like Bettman Points.)

47. WeridAl says:

LT with Quick injured and will be out for at least the next 6 weeks, Bernier will not be going anywhere.

48. Dipstick says:

A little OT. After watching the Canadian Juniors play with some heart and determination yesterday – and after having slept on the matter – I conclude that Ty Rattie needs a mullet.

49. russ99 says:

I’ll be happily looking forward to Krueger letting our skill players use those skills on offense. Just like in the Calgary game where he was emergency coach.

I’m glad Krueger is preaching defensive play, but there has to be an improvement in the neutral and offensive zones with Krueger – and changing from Renney’s stifling system where everyone but the sheltered first line kids took a hit on their numbers.

50. DSF says:

till_horcoff_is_coach:
    DSF,

They are not world-beaters next season, but they are 2 very highly touted rookies.Some differences in the upcoming season: – Schultz vs Cam Barker’s 25 games. – Dubnyk starts over Rehab – Yakupov minutes from Hordichuk/Petrell/Eager/MPS – fingers crossed, a healthy Hall

The clear line in the sand is regression or progression.So over/under on -13… and the blowouts and hot-streaks count.

A few points to consider:

Cam Barker was even in +- last season.

Khabibulin had a better GAA than Dubnyk

Yakupov’s minutes will likely not come from the group you identified.

And, I have no problem including hot streaks and blowouts but I certainly wouldn’t bet on them reoccurring.

Do you think Gagner is likely to have another 8 point game next season?

I don’t think that a “reasonable expectation”.

Do you?

51. Dooz says:

DSF,
    You can not use the same argument to invalidate someone’s opinion while validating your own.
    1. Re: Barker- Barker was a plus player while getting the HoF goaltending you mentioned above (ONSv%- .960)
    2. Re: Khabibulin GAA- See 1
    3. Re: Yakupov- The 4th line was fed soft minutes, there’s no reason to believe Kreuger won’t give some of those to Yakupov.
    4. Blowouts happen in hockey, even to good hockey teams.
    5. Re: Gagner- Irrelevant to the conversation.

52. DSF says:

Dooz:
    DSF,
    You can not use the same argument to invalidate someone’s opinion whilevalidating your own.
    1.Re: Barker- Barker was a plus player while getting the HoF goaltending you mentioned above (ONSv%- .960)
    2. Re: Khabibulin GAA- See 1
    4. Blowouts happen in hockey, even to good hockey teams.
    5. Re: Gagner- Irrelevant to the conversation.

1) What was Barker’s +- playing in front of Dubnyk?

2) Unless Dubnyk surpasses Khabibulin’s GAA, there won’t be a net benefit.

3) How do you propose Yakupov gets the soft minutes that were reserved for the 4th line? Do you think opposing coaches will send out their dregs when he is on the ice?

4) How many times were the Kings, Canucks, Rangers, Devils, Flyers etc. blown out last season?
    I’ll get you started…the most goals Vancouver gave up in one game was 6…a game in which they scored 5.

5) An 8 point night is relevant to the conversation since the likelihood of it happening again is close to zero. Just like the two blowout wins over Chicago.

Hi DSF!

54. DSF says:

HI ALAN!

Hey did we work together? You were at CFRN in the 80s? TV or Radio?

56. DSF says:

Hey did we work together? You were at CFRN in the 80s? TV or Radio?

Radio then television.

DSF:

Radio then television.

Hmmm. so you went with the tv upon sale? Did we work together daily?

58. DSF says:

Lowetide: Hmmm. so you went with the tv upon sale? Did we work together daily?

Yes, for a while.

59. Bruce McCurdy says:

DSF: Do you think Gagner is likely to have another 8 point game next season?
    I don’t think that a “reasonable expectation”.
    Do you?

Unless there is a clearly defined reason to ignore an outlier, I think if you’re going to mess around with that sort of thing you’d better do like the diving judges do and drop both high and low points. Otherwise, DSF, somebody might accuse you of being disingenuous.

60. DSF says:

Bruce McCurdy: I think it’s a reasonable expectation that Sam would generate another 47-point season, albeit with different distribution. I include both the 8-points-in-1-game and the 7-points-in-his-last-23 as outliers which are apt to balance each other out.

No problem.

Just using it as a point of illustration.

I think one thing we can count on is the Oilers won’t have a GAA average of 1.66 in their first 15 games like they did last season.

Won’t happen.