Although he is not projected to begin the season with the Edmonton Oilers, Yann Danis could be a big part of the team by season’s end. With NK wildly inconsistent, surely Danis is the man to step into the breach.
RE 12-13: 17, 2.88 .906
- Who is going to break this to Tambellini? I imagine he’ll figure it out, grab a fiddle and life will go on.
- So you think he’ll be the backup then? I believe he has a tremendous opportunity. A big chance to play again in the NHL.
- When will the opportunity come? I’d say he should be ready for a call any time. Starting now.
- Is he really any better than Khabibulin? Oh yeah, NK was a spent force after the hot streak. We’ll talk about it more during his RE.
- Can Danis have a career if he performs well? He’s 31. Goalies are like knuckleball pitchers–don’t count them out until they’re done and even then keep them in mind.
- Is he going in a good direction? He won the AHL goalie of the year award and that’s a helluva league. He had a GAA of just over 2.00, a SP of .924 and did it on a team without a long history of producing strong minor league clubs.
- Why did he sign a 2-way deal with Edmonton? I suspect he felt–rightly–that there is an enormous opportunity to move up the Edmonton depth chart.
- He wasn’t a smashing success in the KHL. Well, the team he played for was outscored by 61 goals in a 54 game schedule. That’s a crappy team.
- How many good to very good seasons has he had in a row? I think the last four seasons have been strong. It’s certainly earned him a real NHL shot.
- And you think he’ll get it? Is Nikolai Khabulin on the Oiler roster?
- Are your projections league average? No. They are below.
- Is this ‘replacement level’ goaltending? I define replacement level as ‘lower tier’ NHL goaltending. .906 is in that range.
- Martin Brodeur is in that range. Yes. Let’s move on.
- Will one of the kids play in the NHL this season? Olivier Roy or Tyler Bunz? I’m not projecting it, but will say that both should get extended periods of play in the AHL this season.
- Should Tambellini add a goalie? Sure, that would be a fine idea.
- Should he trade for Bernier? I’d prefer a veteran goalie who could play 30 games effectively.
- But you’re fine with Danis? I’m confident Danis will be a clear upgrade on Khabibulin.
- NK will make you look silly if he has another fast start? I’m hoping he does just that thing.