WHEN I’M 64

Nail Yakupov has decided on his number. It is 64. Previous Oilers to wear that sweater number are Jason Bonsignore and Milan Kytnar. My guess is Yakupov wins the ‘best player to wear sweater number 64 for the Oilers’ about 10 minutes ago.

I’m interested in what you’re thinking about where he plays if there is a lockout. Should Yakupov go back to Sarnia and dominate? Or would he be better served in OKC? What about the KHL? SEL?

21 Responses to "WHEN I’M 64"

1. loosemoose says:

Probably wanted to show everybody how many goals he was going to score every year….

I wouldn’t mind if he went back to Sarnia and shot the lights out, but I want to see this kid in the big show and quick…..hustle it up Bettman!

I think they’ll have him play in OKC because they know hockey will start in January.

3. fuzzy muppet says:

How is he eligible for the AHL? I thought he had to be returned to Juniors according to the CHL-NHL transfer agreement

The NHL changes rules as needed. That will take 5 minutes.

5. nathan says:

“Larionov says Yakupov will either play in the Kontinental Hockey League for his hometown Russian team Niznekamsk, or possibly in Sweden or Finland if there’s an NHL lockout, for however long it takes. He won’t be returning to junior in Sarnia, even though he has junior eligibility left.”

6. gr8one says:

Thanks to Fuzzy Muppet for asking my question already and LT for answering it so expeditiously.

Ah, thanks Nathan.

8. LMHF#1 says:

I’m assuming the Russia/Sweden/Finland bit is in the context of the current rules.

9. jp says:

OKC would be best if they change the rules. They didn’t let jr players play in the AHL last lockout, so not so certain they will this time. Guess Nathan’s post is pretty clear that he won’t be back in Sarnia – that’s good since he certainly appears ready for some higher competition.

10. Dave Casselman says:

I’m guessing KHL. It will not only be good for him in terms of playing against men, it’ll also, (not that it’s needed,) re-invigorate his desire to play in the best league in the world, the league with 5 star hotels, chartered flights, and dressing rooms with hot water. (Not to mention the nightlife experience to be found in LA, NY, Chicago, Boston and Miami as opposed to Traktorville Russia.)

11. leadfarmer says:

Dave Casselman,

Traktorville, Russia is actually quite nice. Any reason for #64.

12. Bruce McCurdy says:

leadfarmer: Any reason for #64.

It was his summer camp number. And it did add up to 10.

13. sliderule says:

Are they that far off in cba talks?

It sounds like the owners will go for a 50/50 split.The players have offered their version of a reduced split.

How about 50/50split phased in somewhat so players don’t have to take an immediate salary cut

It’s not like last time when it was about the hard cap its only about working a split on revenue.

14. Masamax says:

Sliderule, they are also far off on what exactly defines HRR. There is also the host of other “small” details such as revenue sharing (which the NHLPA is likely to push as a wedge issue between owners) as well as the UFA/RFA years and the difference between cap and floor.

But you are right, the main issue is the revenue split, but there can be a big difference if the HRR definitions are wildly different between the two sides. 50% of a smaller pie.

15. WheresYourTowel says:

I am going to take it a step further and start calling him “Goldeneye”.

In all seriousness, I’m loving every move this kid makes.

The team captain already wears his usual number?
    “No problem, I’ll just wear this one they gave me at dev camp.”

I know the 6+4 thing works out nicely, but he’s showing that he’s savvy enough to avoid the “controversy”. Maybe it’s Larionov’s influence?

Can NOT wait to see this kid in Oilers silks.

16. jzed says:

If the idiot owners and players( hmmm, we can all get rich off of a GAME), don’t get their act together, it will be an expensive lockout got the oil. Finding non-contact pro leagues for all their blue chippers, or posting 1million dollar bounties on the head of any schmuck who hurts any of our blue chippers. I’m a fan , but lockout leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

17. Cactus says:

Take this for what it’s worth, but Ryan Rishaug has been reporting on Twitter that the Oilers and Hall are “very close” to an extension. Negotiations ongoing with Eberle’s people. The deals aren’t being negotiated in tandem.

Hopefully that means they’re not willing to pay Eberle as if last season was a baseline.

18. nathan says:

“The players have offered their version of a reduced split.”

sliderule,

What? They get to take 57% again after 3 years.

But you can see the compromise from Fehr’s door step. Whatever share the players give up goes to revenue sharing. e.g 50% players, 43% individual teams, 7% revenue sharing.

19. Bruce McCurdy says:

WheresYourTowel: he’s showing that he’s savvy enough to avoid the “controversy”.

I know that sometimes numbers get changed to accommodate incoming star players, but I don’t think it’s anywhere in the manual that a 30-something guy who has played his whole career with one team and is respected enough to be the captain should be expected to give up his lifelong number to some punk kid. That’s just ridiculous in my view.

Like Jean Beliveau told Guy Lafleur, just take another number and make it famous.

Agree completely, Bruce. the contract has made him a target, but Horcoff earned the right to be on the ice in Detroit as the game ended with his blocking a shot with his face, he earned the ‘c’ with hard work and dedication and he never turned down an assignment.

Horcoff has earned #10 until he no longer plays for the Oilers.