YAKETY-YAK

Nail Yakupov and his Russian junior teammates will take on Team Canada in a super series beginning tomorrow morning in Yaroslav.

The tournament is designed to honor the 40th anniversary of the Canada-Russia series that changed the game forever. The Yaroslavl location also comes on the eve of the one year anniversary of the September 7th Lokomotiv air disaster.

The Russian portion of the 4 game series will be in Yaroslav, and Halifax is the Canadian city that gets the games.

Dennis Beyak makes the call, Mike Johnson does color. First game tomorrow morning, 9am Edmonton time.

I love hockey and this is a breath of fresh air. Watching Yakupov is the main item for Edmonton fans, and the Canadian squad boasts names like Jonathan Huberdeau and Ryan Murray.

Read more here.

23 Responses to "YAKETY-YAK"

1. jp says:

And I was all geared up for a Sutton/Peckham/Potter RE this morning… :)

Actually, I’m really curious about the Peckham RE. He had an awful year, but I think he’ll have a career. Not sure it will be with the Oil, but solid 3rd paring defense along with the other things he brings would be a welcome addition from within.

Will be nice to see some hockey. Tough to catch the games during the work day but I guess the Halifax ones will be at a normal time. And can’t wait to see Yak in TC – hope it isn’t delayed too long…

2. TheOtherJohn says:

Delighted to see FIFA confirm that they need “more” investigating to be done before they can discipline anyone. Sinclair and Tancredi will play tomorrow. Guess it saved FIFA from having to scramble to find a new host for 2015 Women’s World Cup.

3. Vince says:

Driving down to Halifax Monday for a look a Yakupov and Team Canada. Canada’s Defence looks great.

4. Ribs says:

Thank goodness, some hockey. If I had to read another weeks worth of crying soccer fans I might have gone insane.

I have to say, I did expect a bit more chirping from Yakupov’s twitter account before this tournament. Is the teeter-totter decidedly heavier on the Canadian side of this matchup again?

5. delooper says:

Everyone I’ve met from Tatarstan has been unusually level-headed and cheerful. IMO a very helpful analogy is to think of it as the Saskatchewan of Russia.

Thanks for that translation, Bohologo. It’s pretty cute.

6. Truth says:

Looking forward to Yak making Ryan Murray look like a pylon for the next week and years to come.

7. jp says:

Bohologo,

Great stuff, thanks!

It’s funny, I tend to think of these #1′s like any other young prospects (think Cogs, Gagner and Nilsson for instance, but there’s a long list of others) in that they’ll hopefully be very good players (but might stall or fail completely). It’s easy to forget just how huge these guys upsides are. Nice to be slapped back to reality, with comparisons to Ovechkin, Kovalchuk and Bure, that 2 or all 3 of them will very likely be not just good, but elite NHLers. Yak does sound like a great personality. Can’t wait for NHL hockey to start again!!

8. justDOit says:

delooper:
    Everyone I’ve met from Tatarstan has been unusually level-headed and cheerful.IMO a very helpful analogy is to think of it as the Saskatchewan of Russia.

Thanks for that translation, Bohologo.It’s pretty cute.

Let’s hope LowBellTavish included a clause in Yakupov’s contract that prohibits him from ditch water-skiing.

9. Dalton says:

I had hoped that Yak would have had more time with the Nuge and Hall and Ebs and Khabi after being drafted… Thought they might want to give him a good welcome.

10. Ducey says:

I don’t usually forward this type of rumour but things are so dull now it might be fun to throw around. Eklund says:

As if to prove fences CAN be mended when new ownership takes the scene, there is talk today the Oilers and Sabres are discussing a MAJOR deal. Sources vary quite a bit on what is being discussed, but piecing it together it sounds like a “significant” defenseman going to Edmonton along with a solid prospect (or possibly even Enroth) for “young star top 6 center and a third line young player who many feel has top six potential.” I hope to have more on this in the next day or so..

I have little doubt that Eklund has no connections to any real sources and likely just made this up. Tambo has the Oilers on radio silence as evidenced by Hemsky and the draft and I doubt they are going to answer Eklund’s calls.

But if it were true who would the players be?

I would think by the description, maybe Gagner and Pitlick/ MPS? Who would be coming from Buffalo? I doubt Myers is available. Maybe Erhoff or Sekera?

11. justDOit says:

Ducey,

I think that Eklund does have some actual contacts within the league, but as he states himself, he ‘reports’ anything he hears.

Interesting scuttle-butt, to be sure. I wonder if it is Myers in the rumor – doesn’t his salary jump to about $10M per season this year?

12. delooper says:

Ducey, it says *star* top six centre, that’s got to be Horcoff.

13. Spydyr says:

delooper,

Awesome…….who else could it be?

14. cabbiesmacker says:

delooper:
    Ducey, it says *star* top six centre, that’s got to be Horcoff.

Star top 6 centre? That says it’s not Edmonton at all.

15. bookje says:

cabbiesmacker: Star top 6 centre?That says it’s not Edmonton at all.

Well, considering most teams only have four centers, it could be an OKC Baron.

16. VOR says:

I figure the rumor about Buffalo is nonsense. My question is if it were true who would the Oilers be interested in? Maybe Regher wants to come back out west.

17. Dipstick says:

VOR:

I think that the Flames moved him at the right time. I don’t think that there is much gas left in that tank.

18. sliderule says:

LT
    This is the first time I played your videos and I absolutely loved it.

Brought back all sorts of memories

Thanks.

Love the Coasters. Awesome. :-)

20. Cobbler says:

I am really looking forward to this tourney. Not just because Yak is playing, but I think with the spirit around the olympics, the anniversary, the talent involved and the general goodwill it will prove to be quite the showcase of young men playing a great adversarial game.

Now……how much does it cost to go to beautiful Halifax?

21. PaperBagDiscarded says:

I live in Hali and I’ll be at the Monday game. Are they going to be televised for the rest of you? I’ll keep an eye on the notables and hopefully post a few impressions.

Paper: Please do. I’m especially interested in Yakupov (obviously) and the Canadian blue.