FLOYD R TURBO

I don’t know Peter Adler’s work very well, but have read a few of his articles over the last couple of years at the EJ. Today’s installment is in regard to Nail Yakupov, casting him as a future Alexander Radulov.

Adler’s article is here.

• Adler: Neither Yakupov nor Radulov felt a contract is a binding document that they ought to honour.

I won’t go into detail on this, but suffice to say there are many differences, beginning with the fact that Nail Yakupov is willing to fulfill his contract the moment this NHL owner lockout ends. This story reminds me of this fellow:

11 Responses to "FLOYD R TURBO"

1. jb says:

Probably giving the article too much publicity already. The futures too bright to be focusing on every potential negative imo. Those truly worried about the arena deal getting done might find this little tidbit of information alarming, or something.

I don’t really get why Yakupov is like Radulov besides the obvious angle of bias being played here?

I’ve read Adler before and he has (in the past) and I don’t recall anything this unusual.

3. Chunklets says:

The Journal really needs to get some editorial oversight on Mr. Adler’s work; leaving aside the content, the grammar and style of that piece are both appalling. Anyway, this is the second time that Adler has attacked Yakupov; you can. If you are so willing, find his post-draft hatchet-job on the kid here:

Peter Adler makes Damien Cox look like Roger Angell.

4. Derek says:

This is beautiful. From the previous article linked by Chunklets:

“Well, considering the guy’s been in Canada for quite some time now, one would have expected someone could have (or should have) told him that race labels do not define people, and his reply was perfectly offensive..”

5. GordM says:

Peter Adler reminds me of an old man…a very angry old man.

6. VOR says:

I can’t help wondering exactly how the Journal allowed such a poorly written piece to be published.

Have they gotten rid of all their editors?

Are all the editors drunk? Stoned? Illiterate?

Is there an evil cabal of Russian hating, Tatar bashing, illiterate, drunk, stoned, editors in control of the paper?

Or maybe all the real writers and editors are too busy tweeting to do their jobs.

7. Chunklets says:

Ryan Rishaug just tweeted that Yakupov’s OHL deal has been declared void, so he’s clear to play for Neftekhimik. Apparently the problem had to do with Yak’s legal representation.

8. voxwah says:

I think the kid is getting a bum wrap over all of this. Fricken agent probably told n64 that if there was a lockout he should play in Russia just so he would make more money for Igor. You think Halls agent would have told him to play in Europe instead of Winsor? Or Nuge in Europe last year instead of Red Deer? Not likely at all. Damn agent should know better then that. “Igor, can I play khl if there is a lockout?” answer should have been an easy no. Now all the fools like Adler are out making it look bad for the kid. Assholes.

9. Boondock says:

If David Staples statistical analysis wasn’t evidence enough that he is much more interested in pageviews over quality output, Peter Adler’s articles are.

10. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Boondock,

What’s wrong with Staples’ statistical analysis? Whilst I don’t always agree with him, I enjoy reading different advanced stats to the usual behindthenet stuff (i enjoy that too though). I don’t really understand the criticism Staples gets round these parts to be honest – he has his opinion, just like every other blogger does.

11. FastOil says:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—:
    Boondock,

Chris – opinions are not the same as math. Math is verifiable, can be determined as correct or incorrect. What Staples tries to do is an interesting idea, but he doesn’t analyze it well.

Staples makes errors, it is pointed out to him by various respected people (meaning they have proven they understand what they are doing and have proven they do their stats correctly).

It’s basically peer review. Staples critics’ work stands up to it. Staples’ work doesn’t stand up to it and he doesn’t provide valid counterpoints or seem to want to. For me that doesn’t look good on a professional journalist.