I MISS YOU JOHN CANDY

I find myself in a much better frame of mind this lockout. Part of it is that I didn’t handle the first one well, and the Swedish Elite League games broadcast on my television were terrible (SEL is a good league, we know this; but the games I saw were dull as dishwater).

I learned something from my Dad about being miserable (wait–that didn’t come out right!). He always told me that if you have a job, or a hobby, or a girl, that drives you crazy–and you hang around–then it’s on you. So, my feeling about the NHL this lockout is this: I’m cool with it, hell take the whole season or two if you want. I won’t bitch and moan, honest. However, I reserve the right to nerd out on the Oil Kings or Barons or Hitchcock movies for as long as I want.

Take your time, NHL. Come back when you like. I’ll be along awhile later, and this time on my own timetable. You deserve a lot worse, but I’ll be thankful that your stupid labor problems don’t have me miserable for another fall.

I like these young Oil Kings. Looks to me as though there are going to be some great stories this season. Mitch Moroz is apparently going to be on a skill line and that’ll be fun to follow. Martin Gernat’s injury sounds serious–at least the guys talking about it sound worried its serious–but then again we know about defensemen and injuries. Remember when we discussed Marincin, Gernat and Klefbom as a pack, similar to Petry, Wild and Chorney? I think that’s a good way to look at it. If one of them turns into Petry, well hell that’s fine.

The OKC Barons get rolling soon, too. I don’t like the AHL package online, so don’t know how many games I’ll watch this season. However, it’ll be a few and the early word from coach Nelson is we’re going to have some interesting stories this winter. Jason Gregor has a terrific interview with Nelson at Oilers Nation.The Tyler Pitlick item is very interesting.

Corey Pronman has his top 100 prospects up here. Oilers have some gems following Hall, Eberle and the Nuge. Hell it’s going to be fun when they do come home.

I think the NHL and NHLPA should take a little time and catch a few moments on film from this guy. Maybe they’ll come to an understanding about what’s important in life, and the difference between acting like an idiot and being one. I miss you John Candy.

28 Responses to "I MISS YOU JOHN CANDY"

1. Jonathan Willis says:

Yeah, the Pitlick thing is fascinating. Poor Arcobello.

2. Bar_Qu says:

Tia: Are you crazy?
    Buck: I can be.
    Tia: You could have taken his head off!
    Buck: Yeah, but would he notice?

I was heartened to hear Nelson say he will do the best thing for his team, not simply to get Eberle RNH points and win a couple of early season games. He impresses as a coach every time he speaks.

3. shepso says:

So in 1992 (I think?), the NHL was celebrating its 75th anniversary and every team had a celebrity of sorts attached to them. The Oil had someone less than awesome, Kurt Browning I think (not to slight his talent, just think the team could have done better). The McNall/Gretzky era Kings had one John Candy as their resident celeb, which made sense given that all three of them owned the Argos together at the time.

Anyhoo, I was as big of a John Candy fan as any 11 year old could have possibly been. My dad, (who would be turning 68 tomorrow if he was still with us), and I had season tickets, upper deck about 10 rows up, in the corner behind the 1st/3rd visiting net in those days. The old set up in the Coliseum had a few boxes around the top ring of the lower bowl, and McNall and Candy happened to be in the box right below my section. Brazenly I walked to the railing, stuck my head through the bars and had them both sign my program. He was a big, big man and had a tremendous voice and laugh. He was perfectly happy to chat for a while between periods. Dad suggested that maybe I should leave the poor guy alone, he gets enough attention all the time. I ignored him and was very pleased that I did. Other than Bill Murray, John Candy was my favorite comedic actor of all time. I don’t often get star struck and have been fortunate enough to have a few celebrity encounters, but this one always stayed with me.

4. maudite says:

His last movie “Canadian Bacon” was funny but it’s even funnier in retrospect:

U.S. President: Jesus, is this the best you could come up with? What about, ya know, international terrorism?

General Panzer: Well, sir, we’re not going to re-open missile factories just to fight some creeps running around in exploding rental cars, are we, sir?

5. hockeyguy10 says:

one of my favorite SCTV hockey skits. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeN3-Uq3iVI

6. icecastles says:

A reminder to all that the Oil Kings home opener goes at 7pm tomorrow (Thursday) night. $49 (+ tax, so $54.50) gets you two tickets and two Oil Kings T-shirts, plus the championship banner raising, and Mark Messier is apparently dropping the puck.

Like LT said, this should be a good year for the Kings (our Kings, not the giant-killers on the west coast) and it would be awesome to see Oiler fans get their fix of hockey while truly supporting our local team and filling Rexall Place every game.

7. fuzzy muppet says:

maudite,

Since I can’t argue about hockey anymore, I’m going to nitpick and say that “Wagon’s East” was Candy’s last movie.

8. jake70 says:

Pitlick destined for a top-6 role. Really hope he excels.

Thought Candy was fantastic in JFK role as that greasy lawyer… a few lines I really liked:

“ya got the right ta-ta but the wrong ho-ho”

“Kennedy’s dead as that crab meat. The government’s still breathing. You want to line up with a dead man?”

“Bertrand is not Shaw, scout’s honor and you can tell him I said so…”

I love the skit that has Candy going to the doctor. Jesus it was funny. “Where did you read that?” “The Watchtower” As a Jehovah’s Witness, it was a killer, I mean that line lives in infamy among my friends from that era. Lordy.

I love “Planes, Trains and Automobiles” and “Uncle Buck” “Who’s Harry Crumb?” and “JFK” Those would be my favorites. Those and “the watchtower.” :-)

10. Zack says:

My favorites would be “Planes, Trains and Automobiles”, “Uncle Buck” and I really liked his character in “Home Alone” albeit it was a smaller role. Speaking of which I really miss the movies from the 90′s…

Is it just me or is there a new ranking system with CSS this fall?

One last thing, John Candy reminds me of Chris Farley, and I will always remember my teacher wheeling out the TV and VHS player to show us this clip in grade 8.

11. Gret99zky says:

“I don’t think I want to know a six-year-old who isn’t a dreamer, or a sillyheart. And I sure don’t want to know one who takes their student career seriously. I don’t have a college degree. I don’t even have a job. But I know a good kid when I see one. Because they’re ALL good kids, until dried-out, brain-dead skags like you drag them down and convince them they’re no good. You so much as scowl at my niece, or any other kid in this school, and I hear about it, and I’m coming looking for you! Take this quarter, go downtown, and have a rat gnaw that thing off your face! ”

I miss John Candy. A lot more than I will miss NHL hockey this season.

12. Matt F says:

P,T&A is the best of the best, but The Great Outdoors is in my top echelon even with the horrible tacked-on romantic subplot with the teenagers.

My 5-year-old at the dinner table does a *killer* impression of him eating the final bite of The Old 96′er; believe me when I say that my wife or I speak your post title out loud a few times a month.

13. hags9k says:

I’m hoping Candy and Farley have been filming movies in heaven non-stop until I get there.

14. Smarmy says:

Blades are gonna get Dumba and roll the Oil Kings. (I really want this to be true)

15. hockeyguy10 says:

Outpatient: Vasectomy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTAY0vRh6Lo

“would you turn around and face me” I am facing you

HG: That’s it! classic. If you grew up with the Watchtower that’s gold, Jerry! :-) Ahahaa. Thanks.

17. bookje says:

I spent 2001 in villages in rural Malawi doing research – like, I mean places where the kids had never seen a mirror (I mention the mirror because the kids had seen radios, etc. but they had never seen mirrors and mirrors are neat thing – imagine being 12 years old and looking at a mirror and having all of your friends tell you ‘its you’ after you ask ‘who is that?’). Any way, before this I was a pretty rabid hockey fan, but by not even having the option of watching the game for a full season, I pretty much realized that it wasn’t that important to me. Don’t get me wrong, I still love hockey and I enjoy talking about it and watching it, etc, but I know that none of it really matters that much. So, I hope Gary and the Boys get it figured out pretty soon, but I won’t fret too much about it if they don’t.

18. bookje says:

On the John Candy front, did anyone else see the 1/2 documentary on Candy and the Argos – that was a good show.

John Candy was one of my favourite actors. I wish the guy could have seen his kids grow up.

19. Ryan says:

What options are there for watching the barons online? I don’t intend to buy a season pass, but would like to catch a few games here and there. I can’t see anything on their website.

20. RexLibris says:

Amen.

There are other things to do with my time, or so I am often told.

Thank goodness we have such a strong local option this time around. And this whole interwebs thing helps a lot too.

If the CBC is filling their NHIC hours with Big Bang Theory, would it have killed them to shill a few CHL games away from Sportsnet? It’s inherently regional and the price would probably be more in line with their budget anyway.

My hopes for Pitlick are on the rise now. Here’s hoping he and Hamilton can get something figured out. Paajarvi and Hartikainen too. Be nice to have three young LW options instead of Taylor Hall and two other guys who are not Taylor Hall.

Ryan: It’s on the AHL site, on a per game basis. If you find an “entire season” option let me know.

22. steveb12344 says:

L.T. This is a copy of a tweet i saw. It should be legit.

@Thummper08 All #TheAHL games are available via @AHLLive, a PPV service with packages ranging from full season to single-game. #OKCBarons.

23. Spydyr says:

You’re a lean mean fighting machine.

That is all

24. tom says:

Just a quick lockout question: in the event that it lasts for the entire season, would the oilers be a draft lottery team again?

25. dessert1111 says:

If you could follow the Barons/Oil Kings in a similar fashion to the Oilers during the lockout, that would be fantastic LT. We don’t need to let the NHL ruin hockey. I will look forward to your analysis and writing about Barons as much as the Oilers–why not take this time to get to know the younger guys not in the spotlight as much.

There is an option to stream AHL for the full season but it’s extremely expensive. Hopefully I/we will be able to find some free options–I for one definitely can’t afford the asking price, or at least I shouldn’t waste my money like that.

26. "Steve Smith" says:

tom:

To be determined, but based on precedent the answer is yes…along with every other team.

I saw The Trouble with the Curve last night. It’s the opposite of Moneyball in the following respects:
    1. Moneyball glorifies statistical analysis and makes fun of the old farts who sit around talking about how no spreadsheet is ever going to tell them anything about baseball that their own eyes can’t tell them much better.
    2. Moneyball is reasonably good.

27. Dominoiler says:

Thanks for being such a Class Act, LT..
    Not only have you be an invaluable source of Oiler / Hockey lore and a gateway into advanced stats, but you also take these types of opportunities to reflect on life in a ‘keepin it real’ kinda way..

Appreciated..

28. Reg Dunlop says:

Hey LT

One day you’ll grow up to be a real man like… Pat Boutette.(John Candy as Billy Stemhovlichski of the Toronto Bayleafs)