LET’S GO KRUEGERING 3.0

Ralph Krueger is ready to coach and Oiler players are ready to make mistakes. If the idiots in the counting room can get their act together we could be rolling our eyes by first snowfall.

Krueger’s availability to the media gives us another chance to sift through the grey matter and think about what the new coach might do with the lineup. Terry Jones has stories on Krueger here and here.

The line I’m most interested in right now is this one:

• Krueger:“I look at the lineup every day. I do like to look at the line-up. I do a lot of thinking looking at the line-up. Different line combinations. Defensive pairings. And I go through the worst case scenarios all the time.”

Well Ralph, we like to do that too! I’ll tell you what, we’ll go first. We’ll post our lineups and then you can post yours in the comments section. When you do, I’ll put them inside the blogpost. That way we can begin the dialogue that will conclude with your agreement that Lennart Petrell–despite being Finnish–shouldn’t be on the 23-man roster.

I’ll start. C-L-R, LD-RD.

• Gagner-Hall-Hemsky
  • Nuge-Yakupov-Eberle
  • Horcoff-Smyth-Paajarvi
  • Belanger-Hartikainen-Jones
  • Extras: Eager, Hordichuk
  • Smid-Petry
  • Whitney-Schultz the younger
  • Schultz the elder-Sutton
  • Peckham
  • Dubnyk
  • Danis

Please post your lineups in the comments section as soon as possible, Ralph may want to incorporate some ideas onto his napkin.

35 Responses to "LET’S GO KRUEGERING 3.0"

1. DBO says:

Oh Fall springs eternal. that’s the saying right? Right…..

Would it be crazy to think Krueger goes evil genius on us and goes with # true lines? Balance, etc., all these crazy ideas. If he runs the pairs u pfront as he mentioned in Friedman’s peice on CBC, maybe with he actually runs like a madman

Gagner-MPS-Hemsky (this line can play against anyone, and still provide offense while being solid in own zone)
    RNH-Hall-Eberle (Just let them play. All situations, dare the other team to beat us)
    Horcoff-Smyth-Yakupov (Our two best own zone vets with the dynamo kid. Adds offense to the old dogs, with Horc and Smyth backing him up)
    Belanger-Eager-Jones (I htink he’ll run this group out in their own zone, and because of the 3 more offensively leaning lines will start tones in the D zone).

I like your D pairings LT. But I think that lineup will happen mid season. I think you swap Whitney and Shultz sr to start (more d responsible Shultz to protect the kid, and allow Whitney softer EV mins to start)

Smid-Petry
    Shultz-Shultz
    Whitney-Sutton

2. striatic says:

I think we see something more like last year, more like this:

Nuge-Hall-Eberle
    Gagner-Yakupov-Hemsky
    Horcoff-Smyth-Jones
    Belanger-Eager-Petrell
    Extras: Hartikainen, Hordichuk

Smid-Petry
    Whitney – J. Schultz
    N. Schultz – Sutton
    Peckham

Dubnyk
    Khabibulin

The difference from last season will be in deployment of the lines .. TOI and Zone Start, but i don’t think the lines themselves will change much beyond the new additions to the roster [Yak and Schultz]

3. LoDog says:

Why do you hate Jones? ;)

Switch Jones with Magnus and Schultz the elder on the second pairing. If J Schultz gets second pairing I would think it would be with his older namesake but I suspect he gets third pairing and PP time.

4. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Kreuger says everything’s going to be alright, and you think you’re able to question this??

Just who in the fark do you think you are here? Some kind of internet genius?

When Ralph says it’s going to be cool, it’s going to be cool.

Time to get with the program, baby.

5. hunter1909 says:

I’d expect Kreuger to open up the third line to Belanger/Horcoff…hell maybe even Gagner if he sucks enough.

Napoleonic of him, thinking about the players with a lockout inevitable. Like Bonaparte, when he’d read the troop lists of his entire fucking army every month. Makes Sam Pollock look like an errand boy by comparison(Napoleon, not Kreuger).

6. striatic says:

we can and probably should also be thinking about 5-man units instead of lines and defensive pairing.

O-Zone Starts 1

Nuge – Hall – Eberle
    Yakupov – J. Schultz

PK
    Horcoff – Jones
    Smid – Petry

7. Jonathan Willis says:

I think you’ve got your Schultzes backwards, LT :) Clearly the younger should start below the elder!

8. Jonathan Willis says:

@Hunter1909:

Well, if you’re going to heartlessly abandon your men in Africa after swearing to never leave them behind, it’s only decent to know their names.

9. Jordan says:

Jonathan Willis,

See, you make him out to be some kind of heartless monster.

It’s really not all that different from how MacT handled Rob Schremp – sure there was a whoel bunch of hoopla about it, but the fact was that he knew what he had there, and reasonably decided that it wasn’t worth the cost to keep it.

Also, Dustin Penner is Russia. But bigger.

10. Bar_Qu says:

Jonathan Willis,

Jordan,

Only slightly less well known is never start a land war with Penner.

I love this place. Where else could a line combo conversation evolve into a discussion of Napoleonic tactics. Borodin indeed.

11. Ryan says:

Yeah, Kruger’s got his work cut out for him.

I agree with others above. If this team is going to take flight, it will be on the backs of the Nuge-Hall-Eberle line…

Maybe like a younger/smaller version of the Thornton-Heatley-Marleau line of 2009. The Sharks were largely a one-line powerhouse that was enough to dominate the regular season, at least.

Yakupov’s confusing. Left-shooting right winger who fits in the lineup better on the LW…. :)

What seems crucial for the Oilers is getting a player out of one of either Hartikinen or Paajarvi. If they both go bust, then it could be a long season (if there is one).

12. sliderule says:

I hope the lockout isn’t too long or Ralph will be flipping those player combos so many times they will be hauling him out to Bowden as a babbling idiot.

13. Ryan says:

Well slider,

It looks like the NHLPA and the Owners are engaged in a game of chicken to see who’ll blink first. History tells us who that will be. Hopefully the players have a fallback position this time around (as Struds put it referring to the prior CBA negotiations).

Oh yeah, and am I the only one who hasn’t forgotten that Horcov’s completely finished? I hope Crosby’s trainer has imparted some of that magic on Gagner, because Horcov’s line is going to need shelter unless the Oilers get a strong 2-way vet or as I said earlier, PRV or Hartikinen have a break-out season.

14. JohnnyRocket says:

Nuge-Yak-Eberle
    butter soft minutes-risks pumping Nuge’s and Yak’s numbers, but I think the upper limit has been set and it is understood (who is Nuge’s agent btw?)

Gagner-Hall-Hemsky
    makes line matching on the road difficult for opposing coaches, this line has the ability to play vs any line and will keep Gagner’s next contract reasonable

Horcoff-Smyth-Paajarvi
    Shut down line at home, can still score on the road if the top two lines get the toughs

Belanger-Hartikainen-Jones
    Let them play together all year, with 7-10 minutes a night, A good grinding line with a little jump. They’re not going to get killed out there at least.

extra: Eager, and Hordichuk to sub in as needed

I actually like this forward line up.

Schultz Sr.-Petry

Smid-Schultz Jr.
    This might be too high up the line up for Junior, but Laddy should cover some mistakes. I like the grit with the kid too.

Whitney-Sutton
    Solid pairing. Whitney moving up as mobility permits, Replacing Schultz Sr.

15. Bar_Qu says:

JohnnyRocket,

That actually looks like a good lineup, but no way PRV should play a line ahead of Jones. Eager-Harski-PRV for 4-line mins might actually get something done.

16. JohnnyRocket says:

Bar_Qu,

I think Eager adds too much chaos to play with two kids, even with Paajarvi’s defensive bent. I think Belanger, despite last year, will bounce back some and Jones will help with that. I think Paajarvi needs the push. I’m okay with cutting Jone’s minutes to give Paarjarvi a legitimate shot. The only other player I’d bump is Yakupov, if he struggles, but I don’t see it.

P.S.-I’m not Jones hater. I love him, but I think we’ve seen the ceiling and he shouldn’t block development opportunities. Man, we have alot of forwards.

17. RexLibris says:

Jonathan Willis,

He didn’t abandon them. They went on an unpaid extended sabbatical.

18. GetYerAivazoff says:

Does this thread mean that we can start calling Krueger Napoleon from now on?

19. GetYerAivazoff says:

P.S. I hope so.

20. jp says:

LT, love that lineup. Agree almost completely – only thing I’d tweak is switching the Schultzes to start the year at least. Would love to see both Paajarvi and Hartikainen get a chance to play, but I don’t think either can pull off a top 6 role now (if ever). Perfect.

Also love to hear the “worst case scenarios” quote from Kruger. I like to think in those terms too. The worst case up front is probably passable with all the depth, but the worst case could still get ugly in a hurry on D and in net.

21. Dipstick says:

I’m not Nostradamus, but I think they will play less than 10 games before an injury causes Krueger to re-examine his summer dreaming notes. Fate has a way of crapping all over ones plans.

22. oilgreg says:

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Yak-Gagner-Hemsky
    Smyth-Horcoff-Hartikainen
    •Belanger-Paajarvi-Jones
    Eager

Whitney-Smid
    Petry-N. Schultz
    Sutton – J. Schultz
    Peckham

P.P. Nuge-Hall-Yak
    J. Schultz-Eberle

Paajarvi moves up as injury replacement, and thus still gets the ice time that he needs to develop. Pitlick, if he shows toughness at camp/pre-season, is the first call-up.

23. Ducey says:

L-C-R. The other way is for commies.

Hall- RNH- Ebs
    N64- S89- A83
    Smyth- Horc- Jones (Yes, Jones for f sake)
    Petrell- Belanger – Eager
    Hordichuk

Smid- Petry
    Whitney- NS 64
    Sutton- JS 64
    TheoP

DD
    NK64

MPS and Hartikanen to start on the farm. Danis won’t see the NHL unless there is an injury.

24. jp says:

Dipstick:
    I’m not Nostradamus, but I think they will play less than 10 games before an injury causes Krueger to re-examine his summer dreaming notes.Fate has a way of crapping all over ones plans.

Well, preparing for the unexpected/inevitable injuries is kinda the point of thinking about all possible line combinations and D pairings. We’re the ones throwing out our summer dreaming notes lineups. Sounds like Kruger is spending his time preparing for the crap that’s sure to come and how to best deal with it. Who knows if he’ll actually be successful in mitigating the damage, but based on that quote he’s doing the best he can to prepare in advance for whatever fate throws at him.

25. yawto says:

I’ll give you my lines tomorrow when I consult with the best source available, NHL 13. Screw the rich guys, they can fight over the licensing on my game and every other cent, I’ll just play my game till they get over themselves.

26. justDOit says:

If Kreuger starts the season with lines matching someone’s post here, is there a prize? A krugerrand, perhaps?

27. Reg Dunlop says:

Jordan,

If Penner is Russia, Dustin Byfuglien must be the whole Eurasian continent. Check out the pics at Yahoo Sports/ Puck Daddy. Also check out Dave Bolland’s new bride. I’m betting she is right at home on a pole.

Line-up? I like Ducey’s , mostly because it is organized CORRECTLY (lw-c-rw).

28. danny says:

lol.

30. russ99 says:

LT – very close. I’d go with:

RNH-Yakupov-Eberle

Gagner-Hall-Hemsky

Horcoff-Smyth-Jones (no young skill on this line, Horc diminishes linemate numbers)

Belanger-Paajarvi-Eager

Extras: Hordichuk (Mr. Press Box), Hartikainen (moves up as play improves and can sub into any line due to injury)

Smid-Petry

Whitney-Schultz the elder

Schultz the younger (also moving up as play improves)-Sutton

Peckham

Dubnyk
    Khabibulin (we won’t be rid of him so easily, and Danis is our only stopgap.)

31. striatic says:

“Not that it matters but does anyone know if ryan Jones is straight / gay?’

he’s married to a woman.

32. Truth Movement says:

danny: Not that it matters but does anyone know if ryan Jones is straight / gay? Just found his tweet below kinda weird for a straight dude. Maybe it’s just a humorous solidarity thing as he’s doing charity work for gay and lesbian groups?Getting to be at the CCMA’s would be unreal. On that note, Brad Paisley is a badass!! #idtapthat

33. danny says:

striatic:
    “Not that it matters but does anyone know if ryan Jones is straight / gay?’

he’s married to a woman.

Figured as much, just checking if i missed something during my busy summer. An openly gay NHLer would have been a pretty big deal for the sport.

34. danny says:

Truth Movement: Yeah, it’s really weird for a straight guy to have an attitude of inclusiveness and acceptance. It’s like, remember when white people would support black people during the civil rights movement. That was so “weird.”

Get off your soap box pal. #idhitthat for a guy talking about another guy… either he was serious or he was joking… and since I don’t know the answer, I asked. Completely reasonable question.

Unless of course when youre conversing with those completely unreasonable types. They’re the worst. I have no sense of inclusiveness for that type of people whatsoever. I think they should be segregated.

Reasonable Power!

We don’t take kindly to your unreasonable types round here… *spits*

35. hags9k says: