MCKENZIE’S BEST

Bob McKenzie isn’t the prettiest item on television, but he’ll hold a nation of nerds spellbound this evening and for good reason.

McKenzie’s final 30 draft list is the industry standard at this point in the game. Honestly, an NHL team could print off his first round and draft off of it on day one. Talk about your central scouting!

Anyway, the kid you’re going to hear alot about is Oil Kings C Curtis Lazar and he’s an interesting prospect.

• Dean Millard: Lazar sometimes reminds me of the Tasmanian Devil. His motor is always running and he’d just as soon skate through you then around you. That scares me a little, but he also has an excellent shot and good vision.

MCKENZIE’S LIST

1. Nathan MacKinnon: Big, offensive center with ridiculous skill. Franchise player. the scouting report: MacKinnon is an outstanding skater and handles the puck extremely well in tight spaces. He competes hard and has an underrated physical game
  2. Seth Jones: the scouting report: Jones has the size and projectable skill-set of a potential franchise defenseman at the NHL level and will be coveted for his blend of size and skill.

The entire list is here.

20 Responses to "MCKENZIE’S BEST"

1. Jonathan Willis says:

Maybe not, but my wife approves of the new haircut.

2. jonrmcleod says:

I stood next to MacKinnon the other day, and he didn’t look big to me.

3. nelson88 says:

Early dibs on Barkov. 6’2 – 205 C with a very late birthday and he’s finnish to boot! Hopefully we need to trade up from 15th overall to get him (Oiler 1st, Oiler 2nd, Ducks 2nd)

4. Ribs says:

Priority # 1 for Tambellini during season long lockout – Get as many balls as possible in the draft lottery.

Could you imagine? Four in a row?

5. Jordan says:

Ribs,

Who would you target for their 1st? What would you be willing to give up?

Trading for those 1sts is going to be next to impossible if the lockout continues all year. If the season is shortened, there may be value to trading players for picks at the trade deadline, but considering the value perceived in this year’s draft.. it seems unlikely that teams would be willing to move them.

The time to trade for those picks was last year, not this.

6. Zack says:

Ribs:

Could you imagine? Four in a row?

In a twisted way I’m kind of hoping the Red Wings land a top three pick. What makes me sick to my stomach is the thought of Feaster calling out the number one pick next year after mocking the Oilers for wandering the desert.

7. Ribs says:

Jordan,

Yea, I think they’ve past the stage of gathering first round picks as well. I was referring to the inevitable draft lottery for the #1 overall pick. Tambellini’s gotta pull a Lamoriello and somehow push the odds into his favour.

8. Ribs says:

passed…erg.

9. Ribs says:

Jordan,

I think I might see what you’re getting at now…Getting the lottery eligible picks from other teams at the draft. I’m not sure it works like that, but it might.

If anyone knows just what the hell happened with the Crosby draft, telling me would be helpful. Did they disclose the percentages or their reasoning for them at all? Could teams trade for positioning?

10. Ribs says:

Each team begins with three balls in the lottery barrel. For every playoff appearance in the last three years or No. 1 overall pick over the last four years, a team loses one ball.

Hah, damn. Doesn’t look good. No balls for Edmonton this way.

11. Gerta Rauss says:

6 Centers in that top 10 and the smallest of the bunch is that Mackinnon kid-”the clear cut #1 C”

*spits*

I like that Finn as well.

12. Gerta Rauss says:

Any thoughts about not having a draft next year and changing the draft age to 19..? How would that even work..?…would they just not have a draft in ’13 and the kids on Mackenzie’s list get picked summer ’14..?

I’ve read this suggestion more that once in the last few weeks-I guess if they scrub the whole season this might be something the NHL considers.

13. raventalon40 says:

Ribs,

No balls for the lottery. Which means that the lowest that Edmonton could possibly draft is 3rd overall, which is still pretty good. It might mean no MacKinnon and no Jones but for a lost season drafting 3rd overall is not bad, I think.

14. Schitzo says:

Interesting offer went out to season ticket holders the other day. Let’s you pick up Oil Kings season tickets, ending when the lockout ends. No payment required, as ticket cost is deducted from the growing credit on your Oilers account.

Edit: they even pay interest on your full season ticket payment, not the reduced amount.

15. Ribs says:

raventalon40,

They kept picking balls for the entire first round from the looks of things – Link

The Rangers had the same chance at getting Crosby as the Pens and they ended up picking 16th overall. Ouch.

16. Braintrust says:

All I can say is, we need “a new beginnin’ with MacKinnon!”

17. JohnnyRocket says:

The one thing Tambellini has been consistently good at is getting lucky with choosing balls in the draft lottery. There is a 2.1% chance that we can draft first overall. Please, baby Jesus, let us get that pick. It would be a bright, bright light at the end of year without NHL hockey.

18. regwald says:

To my eye, I thought Max Domi looked to be the better player than Lazar at the Mem. Cup. Interesting to see that he didn’t make the top ten cut, but is an honorable mention. I know it’s early – considering the jr. seasons just kicked off last night.

19. russ99 says:

If by yet another stroke of luck, we get the #1 or 2 pick next year, Jones would be the guy,

There’s our Duncan Keith of the Chicago rebuild style…

But I’d rather have Oiler hockey this year than a high pick, to be honest.

20. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“For every playoff appearance in the last three years or No. 1 overall pick over the last four years, a team loses one ball”

Only 2 deductions though. All teams had at least 1.