Geeks like me look forward to the darndest things. Example: training camp rosters. We didn’t get the Oilers TC roster this season, but the Barons version is ultra cool.
There are some outstanding names on this list, names who are unlikely to play in the minors for the rest of their careers (or at least 15 years). Men like the Nuge, Jordan Eberle, Justin Schultz.
After that. there’s a long list of “NHL prospects” we’ll follow closely this season. My list is:
- Martin Marincin
- Brandon Davidson
- Alex Plante
- Ryan Martindale
- Tyler Pitlick
- Teemu Hartikainen
- Antti Tyrvainen
- Curtis Hamilton
- Phil Cornet
- Anton Lander
- Magnus Paajarvi
- Tanner Hous
- Kristians Pelss
- Toni Rajala
- Mark Arcobello
- Taylor Fedun
- Chris VandeVelde
- Colten Teubert
- Cameron Abney
- Tyler Bunz
- Olivier Roy
That’s an impressive list, you know. Even aside from the gifted trio there’s some good names there. I’d rank the top player on this list as Paajarvi and the low end at Tanner House but your mileage may vary.
If you’re a real geek like me then one of the best things about a training camp roster is the players you’ve never heard of; chances are they won’t make the team, but it is interesting to look at these players and see what the organization might be casting about looking for in terms of talent.
- C Eric Hunter: He was drafted twice (2004, 2006) and went to the U of A after his WHL career ended. Hunter played last season in the AHL (75, 6-10-16) and had a couple of big scoring seasons in the WHL for Prince George. He is 26.
- R Justin Maylan: Skilled forward just out of the WHL and signed to a contract by Stockton (ECHL). He’ll no doubt be sent down early but is young (21) and you never know. Scored 89 points with the PA Raiders last season.
- F Gary Steffes: Big forward out of the NCAA (Miami of Ohio), he’s spent the last two seasons with Tulsa of the CHL. This interview is a perfect “hockey” interview in that it is cliche heaven. Ryan Smyth would love that interview.
- D Trevor Ludwig: This is an interesting player. Son of former NHLer Craig Ludwig, he’s a big stay at home type and a lefty shooter. He has about 2 seasons of AHL experience and would be a player to watch based on OKC’s roster makeup.
- G Ian Keserich: 26 year old, another college man and he has pro experience in the CHL and ECHL. Oilers usually carry 5 goalies–two in the NHL, two in the AHL and one in the ECHL. Keserich may tandem with Bunz in Stockton this seasn.
TC begins this weekend and there should be plenty of stories flying north.