Erik Gustafsson and a plethora of draft picks outside the top 2 rounds are off to a running start in 2012-13. How are they doing so far?
- Daniil Zharkov, 91st overall 2012. Zharkov has a point in 2 games so far in Belleville (OHL) and is getting a push. He scored 23 goals last season, 30 is certainly possible.
- Erik Gustafsson, 93rd overall 2012. Playing in the second tier Allsvenskan Swedish league this season, he’s 4, 1-1-2 +3 out of the gate. Early, but those are good numbers and we shouldn’t punish him too much for playing in the 2 league. Lots of good players have come out of Swe-1.
- Samu Perhonen, 62nd overall 2011. Playing in the Fin2 league, he’s 2, 2.40 .910 so far. At 19, this is an important season for him and the early results are good (he had an .887SP last season).
- Travis Ewanyk, 74th overall 2011. Plays this afternoon, is 1, 0-1-1 +2 so far this season with the Oil Kings. I don’t know how he’ll fit in pro hockey–he doesn’t score enough–but a big season could get him a contract.
- Tobias Rieder, 114th overall 2011. 1, 0-1-1 +2 so far and he had a helluva game but was up against a hot goalie. He scored 23 two years ago, 42 last season. Should we expect more this year?
- Martin Gernat, 122nd overall 2011. Shoulder injury has him out of the lineup and no one is saying much and when they do it is in hushed tones. At this point, I expect to read he’s been placed in stasis until next fall.
- Frans Tuohimaa, 182nd overall 2011. At 21, this season is pretty important for him. Playing in the same league as Perhonen, his results are poor so far (2, 3.40 .867). He was .921 in 16 Fin2 games a year ago.
We’ll get rolling with the AHL kids next week and the college men are on the way too.