YAKUPOV AND THE IIHF

The IIHF has banned Nail Yakupov from playing in the KHL pending an investigation. This article gives the details but they are sketchy.

Yakupov has played in 2 KHL games, managing 7 shots (an impressive total) and playing an average of 12.5 minutes per game. His KHL page is here.

I am somewhat confused by the timing of the injunction. Yakupov would have transfer papers and that would have had to be approved at some level. On the other hand, I think the KHL may be the best place for the young man, as he certainly has nothing left to prove in Sarnia.

I hate all of these governing bodies. They are extremely political and from I’ve seen over 40 years none of them have the player’s interest in mind. Yakupov’s rights as a player are severely limited and I suspect he’ll be in Sarnia before the snow flies.

The most up to date info I can find is from Pavel Lysenkov, sports editor for Sovietsky Sport:

Damn shame. Thanks again, IIHF.

39 Responses to "YAKUPOV AND THE IIHF"

1. regwald says:

The politics and corruption in the IIHF is only exceeded by that of the Olympic committee. Never trust them to make a fair decision. It is always driven by some political need or request.

Damn IIHF, damn NHL.

2. velo says:

If I were him, I’d “retire,” stay in Russia, train with the team and forget about Hockey in North America until the NHL is back. I might also look into legal measures to play the full year in Russia regardless of what happens with the NHL.

Velo: I agree. This is what’s wrong with hockey. NO ONE has said the following: “what’s best for the kid?” and that’s such a frustrating thing. Nail Yakupov didn’t tell the NHL to go on strike, and while the hockey world is upside down he should have the right to play where he wants to play.

4. jimmers says:

For the first and hopefully the last time in history, it sucks to Nail Yakupov. Damn IIHF, damn NHL, and damn the OHL as well it seems.

If he has to play junior, I wonder if the Oil Kings can trade for him. Can players be traded from league to league?

Jimmers: It’s very rare and usually involves something unusual. Dave Schultz moved from one league to another, but that was a matter of getting a job as a hockey player. I don’t think there’s a rule in place for that kind of trade/transfer.

6. regwald says:

My guess that if the Oil Kings wanted to do that, it would take some $$$ and the right call to David Branch. It may be tough to send a player or draft pick out east unless it was from the import draft which is done across Canada.

7. Lucinius says:

So, dumb question…

What if he stays with his team in the KHL during the lockout regardless of the IIHF ruling, instead of going back to Sarnia?

What exactly are his options?

8. jfry says:

In other news, bob Nicholson named vp of iihf.

I have a tough time believing the NHL isn’t behind this Tom cookery at some level. Just like the kings keeping that one Russian off the cup because he refused to report to the ahl and instead went to the k.

Sure would be nice to hear mgt say, “we support nail’s decision to play and develop in the k.” until they do so, especially with the rat fink Seattle move acting as a spectre , its tough not to believe who might be responsible for the meddling.

9. Clay says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
    Yakupov controversy brewing. According to IIHF source, his KHL team could face big fines if he continues to play with jnr eligibility.

10. striatic says:

this is Wrong.

Sarnia should be ashamed of themselves, if they really did put in the call.

hopefully Nail keeps a good attitude about this.

11. jimmers says:

LT and Regwald,

Thanks for the replies. If one has to go back to Dave Schultz for an example, well the answer to my question is clear. And no doubt the price from Sarnia would be high if it is them who started this off. As the parent corp of the Oil Kings, the Oilers could pay though. They are made of money…. heh heh

12. regwald says:

jimmers:

LT and Regwald,

Thanks for the replies.If one has to go back to Dave Schultz for an example, well the answer to my question is clear.And no doubt the price from Sarnia would be high if it is them who started this off. As the parent corp of the Oil Kings, the Oilers could pay though. They are made of money…. heh heh

based on the arena negotiations and the CBA lockout, I suspect the Oilers-kingdom is on the brink of bankruptcy … lol

That’s pretty rich, and I hope its true.

Oiler’s Head Office should have Yakkety Sax playing on the PA at all times.

14. Mr. K says:

Woodguy,

The CHL is the only place you can assign an 18 year old on an ELC who was drafted from the CHL, is it not?

15. RexLibris says:

If there were a chance that Yakupov could move from the OHL to the WHL, I’d bet that Bob Green and perhaps Don Hay would be the men who could get it done. They strike me as very savvy GMs who pay attention to detail.

I think Mr. K might be right. So far as I know, an NHL team has two options with junior-age players drafted from CHL teams and still on their ELCs, and that is NHL or CHL. Obvious exceptions are made for players drafted from European leagues (Paajarvi, Klefbom). So had the Oilers not assigned Yakupov to the OHL I’m guessing he would be free to play in the KHL without having to get Sarnia’s approval.

If this assumption is true, then that would have put the Oilers in a very difficult position. Had they left him on their NHL roster, while assigning other players with AHL eligibility, it would have been an obvious slight to Sarnia and likely damaged relations between the two organizations. Bad for future scouting and developmental collaboration on drafted players. Doing what they have done plunges their prized pick into a Byzantine network of egos and conflicting agendas, doing little to help his development in this crucial year.

On the bright side, anyone notice that Calgary was the only Canadian team that didn’t have a single junior age player listed in their training camp callback list? hee hee.

16. Traktor says:

I actually prefer Yakupov in the CHL over the KHL.

He was -7 in the 6 playoff games last year and his numbers also took a big hit after his injury.

Its not like he is Crobsy.

17. Captain Obvious says:

Yakupov should tell Hockey Canada to go fuck themselves. It’s outrageous that they have any control over where players play.

If I’m Yakupov I tell Sarnia that I will never play for them and that if they don’t let this go it will poison the well forever for Russian players there.

Yakupov has leverage here. He just has to be willing to use the nuclear option and fight dirty.

The NHLPA should do the same. Baseball has labour peace because the player’s union demonstrated to the owners that they had more to gain through cooperation than conflict. The way to teach the owners this lesson is to make them hurt.

If I’m a player a two year stoppage is not out of the question. They have to see the big picture here. This isn’t about getting the best deal you can, it’s about making the owners hurt so much they never lock you out again. If I’m Fehr, I say if there is no deal in October there will be no deal at all.

Leverage isn’t inherent. Leverage comes from what you are willing to do.

18. Traktor says:

Captain Obvious:

If I’m Yakupov..

If I’m a player..

If I’m Fehr….

You’re an idiot.

19. regwald says:

Woodguy,

ah, but was that on purpose, ignorance on their part or a mistake of the Oilers ? Larionov announced his intentions to play in the KHL before the assignment. Or maybe by assigning Yakupov to the KHL instead of the OHL, they would run the risk of having him lost for the season if or when NHL hockey returns.

20. Captain Obvious says:

Traktor,

Fuck off.

21. Szach says:

Regwald – agree with you unless the Oilers had to assign him to the OHL. Larionov had negotiated the possibility with the Oilers for Yak to go to the KHL, however by assigning Yak to Sarnia they seem to have made a mess for Yak and Larionov. Doesn’t look good either way – why would you want to play for an organization that does not do its homework. Again – Oil prove that they do not know the rules! Should have checked first – not enough lawyers working for the Oil. Good way to have Yak leave after his ELC (assuming that he is as good as we think he is)…

22. regwald says:

Yes, I am betting there is a cluster f*ck happening where the Oilers didn’t realize what would happen with that assignment …

23. Szach says:

Running with their pants down… Not exactly the best way to leave an impression on Seattle…

Mr. K:
    Woodguy,

I’m honestly not sure.

Apparently neither is Rick Olyczk. :)

The CHL only thing exists in regards to the player playing in the AHL for sure.

Makes for some comedy in month that has had little though.

Willis had a good post up on this:

It is understandable if the CHL is looking to avoid setting a precedent that could cause teenagers to jump to overseas leagues before their age-20 season. The OHL alone this season saw three import players, Vancouver Canucks first-rounder Nicklas Jensen (Oshawa Generals), Boston Bruins second Alexander Khokhlachev (Windsor Spitfires) and undrafted Lino Martschini (Peterborough Petes), go overseas. A difference between them and Yakupov is no NHL club explicitly assigned them to a junior team on Sept. 15 before the lockout went into effect.

Lordy.

26. regwald says:

I blame Bonnie Lindros … LOL

27. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

Reading through Willis’ article (where does he find the time, seriously?) I’m led back to my earlier assumption that this is a political game.

In my view, and I could be wrong based on what I’ve interpreted from the article, is that the Oilers, the Sting and even to some extent Nizhnekamsk (almost spelled it from memory, just forgot the “h”) are more or less blameless in this.

The Oilers did as much as they could on their end, honouring Yakupov’s agreement with the Sting but giving him their blessing to play at home during the lockout. The Sting moved ahead with their plans by filling up their import slots while retaining his rights. Even the KHL team seemed to think they were doing the right thing and all the proper signatures had been had.

I understand the CHL’s assertion in preventing European talent from going abroad so easily, but might this not simply create more tension in the long run? I suspect that Russian-born players may become even harder to draft and develop based on the KHL-IIHF-CHL tensions.

28. spoiler says:

Woodguy: I’m honestly not sure.Apparently neither is Rick Olyczk. The CHL only thing exists in regards to the player playing in the AHL for sure.NHL/CHL agreement expired around the same time as the CBA and I have no idea what mechanisms are in place.Makes for some comedy in month that has had little though.

You should watch the NFL… They’re using Abbott and Costello for referees.

Apparently the League doesn’t know they’re baseball guys..

29. regwald says:

spoiler,

oh, I thought pacino was reprising his role from Scent of a Woman and wanted one last chance to be a NFL ref ?

30. Max Powers says:

I think a good question on this subject could be: what happens to a player on an ELC if he doesn’t get assigned somewhere?

It seems the Oil were doing the only thing they could by sending him to Sarnia, and Sarnia is doing the only logical thing in retaining his rights. I mean, why would you give away a superstar without a fight? Sure, Nail expressed that he didn’t want to play there but every year players play for teams they don’t want to play for simply because they own their rights. I’m not saying it’s right, but these kids are assets and treated like such.

31. Master Lok says:

Traktor: You’re an idiot.

I’m inclined to agree.

32. russ99 says:

The only way this could hold any water is if the Oilers assigned him to Sarnia before the lockout took effect – when all bets are off, and players can go where they want. According to TSN’s Oilers transaction page, that was done one day before the lockout,

33. Dalton says:

34. Ducey says:

Woodguy: The hubub on twitter is that the Oilers made a mistake and assigned him to Sarnia, which made him ineligible for the KHL. Apparently Rishaug said something to that effect in an interview.That’s pretty rich, and I hope its true.Oiler’s Head Office should have Yakkety Sax playing on the PA at all times.

Sorry to rain on your raining on the Oilers but Willis now says this on ON:

•Other players have made the jump to Europe without this sort of impediment. Yahoo’s Neate Sager has reported that the Oilers’ assignment of Yakupov to Sarnia may be the issue. While that’s possible, a source with knowledge of the OHL suggested to me that the real issue is that Yakupov’s profile makes him an easier target than Alex Khokhlachev or Nicklas Jensen.

35. Ducey says:

Dalton: Lowetide: I wanted to give you a little heads up. Mandel didn’t ask Katz to visit “on camera,” as you have said elsewhere, but rather “in camera,” meaning, in the chamber of council. I.e., in congress, in camera; same type of idea.

“In camera” means in private, not in public

Dalton: I don’t understand why Sarnia would do this, as it could affect Nail being reassigned to them after the season starts, which there’s probably no way the Oilers do that now to the detriment of their player.

That is an important distinction, thank you.

37. Gret99zky says:

@ Captain Obvious

I think you may have forgotten about the wives and girlfriends of the players. They are used to a certain type of lifestyle and I don’t think sacrificing two years of NHL salary for the “greater good” is a something they would agree to.

RexLibris,

After reading more and listening to people who know more than me, I’m inclined to agree.

Sounds like cah grab by Sarnia with Hockey Canada doing some heavy lifting for them.

I apologize for implicating Rick Olcyzk (sp?).

Given the Brule waiver thing and MPS waiver thing the Oiler HO doesn’t get the benefit of my doubt.

I still like Yaketty-Sax at Oiler HO though.

Ducey,

Sorry to rain on your raining on the Oilers

I don’t think you are sorry.

Why lie?