YAKUPOV FREE TO PLAY

It’s all over the internet, Nail Yakupov can play in the KHL. Gene Principe tweeted moments ago that “KHL determined Yakupov had no independent legal advice when he signed deal with Sarnia. Release immediate.”

16 Responses to "YAKUPOV FREE TO PLAY"

1. PaperDesigner says:

We’ll, at least some governing league body is letting some player actually play hockey. Of course, when it’s the Rogue-Player-Stealing-League letting the Enigmatic-Russian-With-Suspect-Character play while the supposed white hats squabble over how to divide their billions, one has to question the narrative.

2. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

Nice to see Hockey Canada do the right thing.

PaperDesigner,

Was that sarcasm? I’ve seen no evidence that Yakupov fits the ridiculous notion of “enigmatic Russian” or has “questionable character”.

Haven’t seen a fishwrap this morning, but according to Elliott Freidman, Katz took out full page ads in both locals apologizing for recent actions.

As per @FriedgeHNIC:

Daryl Katz takes out full-page ads in both Edmonton newspapers to apologize for this week’s actions. Smart move. Among comments…

“I took for granted your support and your love for the Oilers. That was wrong, and I apologize.” Katz adds that he was upset…”

“confidential information was leaked and that he continues to work with the city to forge a “win-win” partnership.”

Smart move.

Hope he means it.

If anyone can post the ads, it would be appreciated.

4. JohnnyRocket says:

Let’s hope a deal can be made without more public money.

5. sliderule says:

It is interesting that CHL signed off on his release because he didn’t have independent legal advice when he signed with Sarnia at seventeen.
    Could the thought that most CHL contracts signed with underage players could be voided cross their mind

Link to the letter (note: may not work on mobile devices)

The letter:

September 29, 2012

To the People of Edmonton, Northern Alberta and Oilers Fans Everywhere,

I owe you an explanation.

I was upset when certain confidential information was leaked and by comments that I thought were unfair and called my integrity into question.I reacted by trying to send a message to City leaders that they should not take my support for a new arena for granted.

In doing so, I took for granted your support and your love of the Oilers.

That was wrong, and I apologize.

The best I can say is that I did it because I’m fighting for a deal that will enable the team to stay in Edmonton – and not because I want them to be anywhere else.

That’s why I bought the Oilers in the first place. Because I want the NHL to be sustainable in Edmonton for the long-term, and because I saw the city’s need for a new arena as an opportunity to transform our city for the better

In hindsight, I have underestimated the degree to which it would be up to us to make the case for public funding. As I think you all know by now, public communications is not in my nature. Chalk that up as a personal shortcoming.

The simple fact is that the Oilers need Edmonton, and Edmonton needs the Oilers. Each is an integral part of the fabric and identity of the other.

We are continuing to work with City Administration to forge a win-win partnership that will benefit our city and that we can all be proud of.

I hope we can count on your support

I’ll take that at face value.

You’re forgiven Darrell if you hang some rink cost on the revenue and guarantee CoE payments with rink revenue if CRL falls short.

In return you can probably get the CoE to agree to cover some rink maintenance costs if the CRL hits “$X”

7. Vince says:

Is this the only instance where a fan base was like “please let our highly touted prospect play in the KHL”?

Vince: Probably. We’re unique. :-)

9. bendelson says:

Is this the morning Katz makes a step forward? Is there an olive branch inthe cards?
    Rumours abound!

10. bendelson says:

O

11. jp says:

PaperDesigner:

Chris Hext—formerly EasyOil—:

Was that sarcasm?\

I believe we’re supposed to question the narrative.

I think it’s great that Yak gets to play now – this should be a lot better for his development that going back to Sarnia.

12. RexLibris says:

To the best of my knowledge it is illegal for a minor (under-18) to sign any legally-binding contract without the co-signature (at least) of a parent/guardian. In CHL cases I’m guessing this is usually represented by a parent or lawyer given written consent to sign on a player’s behalf.

If Yakupov signed in Sarnia without that legal guardianship then his entire contract, as little as I understand it, would be void. Given that it is all in the past now I don’t think it does anything to his legal standing with the Oilers or his time spent in Sarnia, but it does draw into question the practices of that franchise and perhaps other CHL franchises.

It also suggests that rumours of his father’s involvement may be overstated.

Just my impressions on this thing so far.

Good luck, Nail!

Somebody hints to the CHL that their below minimum-wage child slave labour contracts might get challenged in court, and Yakupov’s problems miraculously disappear.

godot10,

David Branch prefers the term “indentured servitude”

15. dulock says:

RexLibris,

Minors can actually sign contracts in Canada. However, they can also walk away at any point. This is why parents/guardians are asked to co-sign.