BEST MOMENT OF THE SUMMER

Since we’re going to be here awhile, lets discuss something that has been rattling around in my brain lately. I happen to love the Justin Schultz signing, the Yakupov selection, the Smyth signing. I’m cool with the Krueger, the Jeff Petry deal and the bookend long term deals for Hall and Ebs.

I’m less impressed with the Gagner deal (1 year, should have been more), the Dubnyk contract (lotta moolah, although it is more fair than I initially thought).

I am completely at a loss to explain the team’s inability to add another veteran top 4D–unless Ryan Whitney is completely healthy.

What saw you? In your opinion, which of these moves was the best this summer?

35 Responses to "BEST MOMENT OF THE SUMMER"

1. eidy says:

I think it has been a very good summer. Too bad it is going to stretch until the winter classic.

There are many on the oilers that will benefit from the lockout whether it is getting at bats in the minors (MPS, Harti, Shulz), recovering from injury (Hall, Whitney), or the oilers for not having to pay the MVP (Khabi) for the entire season .

I would like to see Whitney sign in europe to go and see if he can turn left. That would also give the oilers time to see whether they need Whitney insurance.

2. DSF says:

You know, it’s odd.

Haven’t heard a peep about what Gagner plans to do during the lockout.

3. PhrankLee says:

I think Schultz the younger signing is a real turning point for this club. Maybe the days are gone where we are a complete hinterland Deadmonton. It just put a real stamp of authentic hockey destination back into our books. Breathed a breath of viable NHL career path location into our sails. My favorite moment of the summer. Credibility.

4. Peacecountry says:

My brains says Schultz but my heart says Smytty. I’ve seen so many Oilers leave over the years. It was a big part of why I was excited when Katz bought the team. I thought those days were over. To see him leave would have been gutwrenching. Again. Man I love that player.

5. jp says:

For me, it’s definitely the Schultz signing. Both for credibility as phranklee said, and for the obvious need the player fills.

The Kruger promotion may turn out to be the biggest move if he’s half as good as many here are hoping for. The jury is still very much out on his effect though.

Actually drafting Yak in the end is a big one also. I tried not to allow myself to believe they could possibly pass on him – at the time his selection was more relief than excitement. Picking him over one of the D available is a huge deal though. If they were actually as close to picking a D as some think, then we got very lucky.

Are you at a complete loss at Detroit’s inability to sign or trade for a top 4 D also? What about Philadelphia having to rely on Luke Schenn? Marc Methot (arguably a 3rd pairing guy on a good team) cost Nick Foligno. The price for Hjalmersson and Yandle is sky high.

The price is just too damn high. The new CBA might share a few D loose, but it will still likely be a seller’s market.

I just say a prayer for Ryan Whitney’s ankle every night, and that the silicon chip inside Theo’s brain will click ON.

Godot: At least they’re trying. Paid a heavy price for Quincey in Feb and then signed Cola this summer (he was the last available). Oilers didn’t need to trade for Methot, but they have been pissing around looking for defense since the Pronger deal.

8. Reg Dunlop says:

I don’t like the idea of paying retail price for a generic D addition like Hjalmarsson. The best move made this summer was either signing Petry cheap or passing on UFAs that would not upgrade our D substantially. Wait and see what Schultz, Marincin and Davidson become. Also, DSF, Samwise is busy this lockout being fabulous.

9. Reg Dunlop says:

10. Dipstick says:

My summer does not seem quite as exciting now. Thanks LT.

11. spoiler says:

I don’t think we have any evidence that the Oilers are not trying. In fact, all the verbal we have from the Management Team* is that they were trying add another defenseman. IIn fact kudos to Tambellini for not spending assets on a defenseman for a season that might not happen.

*And by “Team”, I mean “large hamlet”,.. or any assemblage that outnumbers the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

12. spoiler says:

Reg Dunlop: No doubt the best move made in 1982 was Judge Reinhold snapping one off while Phoebe Cates geared down. I wonder if the last 30 years have been kind to Phoebe?

Well she married Kevin Kline, so the last 30 years couldn’t have been too serious.

13. Giant Squid Overlord says:

Like JP said, I believe Krueger needs to be considered. I think his potential impact over the short term will be the most consequential for the Oilers moving forward. Already making an impact by impressing Schultz tn the Oiler pitch (I believe he probably would have signed with the Oilers regardless – unless he got a bad feeling about the coach coming in), Krueger will hopefully be the catalyst for the team developing an identity and a winning attitude. Harnessing the youthful exuberance and not letting disappointment tailspin into long losing streaks are what I think/hope he can bring.

Just heard OK GM Bob Green on gregor’s show.

apparently gernat still hasn’t contacted the team to tell them what kind of surgery he had.

when asked how long gernat will be out, green said “6 weeks to 5 months, we won’t know until we find out what kind of surgery he had”

strange.

lost the ability to capitalize somewhere, damn blackberry + word press!

also,

shultz was the highlight

you knew that the oilers were getting the 1st pick, so a good player was coming.

shultz is like found money.

in his case, a great big sack stuffed with hundreds.

15. jp says:

Woodguy:
    Just heard OK GM Bob Green ongregor’s show.

strange.

lost the ability to capitalize somewhere, damn blackberry + word press!

Not sure what it means, but this is NOT a good sign. An unusual and fairly serious lack of communication between the player and team. (Also, I found the “capital” button)

What the hell? lol. I can’t imagine the Oilers are doing cartwheels about this.

17. spoiler says:

Giant Squid Overlord,

^^^^
    Goldman Sachs posts here? I thought they were too busy running Italy.

18. RexLibris says:

I’d be patient about hearing from Gernat. He’s young and there are time differences, language barriers (for the surgeons and the team doctors, that is) and all sorts of things going on right now.

I’m sure we’ll hear something soon, and in the meantime it isn’t like his status is going to change with the news: he’s injured and if the Oil Kings didn’t look like a playoff team we’d be talking about this year being a write-off for the young man.

Do the Oilers have a right to be upset about this? Not sure. They are an NHL team, not an omnipotent business enttity that can acquire or learn anything it desires. I’m sure that, were it a Red Wings’ prospect in this situation, Ken Holland would probably be waiting to hear from the doctors as well.

I think patience will be key here.

19. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“this is NOT a good sign”

jp,

What’s wrong with the Czech surgeon. Why isn’t the medical report translated and on twitter already to allay the concerns of all the communication experts?

Here’s what Green was actually referring to:

“We should hear something any day now…We’re waiting to hear how things came out with the surgery. Sometimes it takes a while with the translation issue and everything. You never know how bad it is until they’re able to go in there and look around. It could be better, it could be worse.”

Whatever the Oil Kings heard from Gernat what the parent club ought to be waiting for is medical reports and their translation. They’d be stark raving nuts to comment without seeing them.

“we won’t know until we find out what kind of surgery he had” looks pretty bad.

21. Dave Casselman says:

How important was Sather in his role as coach. Krueger is, as the Squid Man points out, the belle of the ball. Or something. . .

22. DawnM says:

There was certainly a lot to get excited about this summer. My number one was probably Schulz. The lockout has really put a wet blanket on things though. Anticipation without the climax at the end. And now I’m just rolling over unsatisfied. The consolation prize is, of course, OKC. But $150 to watch the games on my laptop seems pricy to me. Maybe I’m just cheap. But when I could watch all the Oilers games for free on the flatscreen any other year… Feel like I’m being an Eeyore here. I guess I’m just disappointed. Sigh.

23. jp says:

Нинтендо⁶⁴:
    “this is NOT a good sign”

jp,

Here’s what Green was actually referring to:

I just listened to the podcast for myself. My impression is that the reality of the situation is somewhere between your quote above, and WGs “6 weeks to 5 months, we won’t know until we find out what kind of surgery he had”. Both are (close to) direct quotes of what Green said, but they give very different impressions of what’s going on. Green laughed when initially asked about Gernats surgery, and it really does sound like he has very little idea what’s going on. At the same time, the Oil Kings doctors did look at his shoulder late in the summer, and there doesn’t seem to be any strong opposition by the team to Gernat having the surgery overseas.

I was basing my earlier comment on the assumption that the Oil Kings were waiting to hear something that they could/should have heard by now, and that they were in some way unhappy with being out of the loop. It sounds like they are a little out of the loop, but that generally Gernat had their blessing to have the surgery done by whoever he wishes (and Green did mention that the procedure was done by an “excellent surgeon”).

To clarify, this has never been about the quality of the surgeons or care that Gernat would receive in the Czech Rep. Rather that IF Gernat was not communicating with the team, the team were unaware of what procedure Gernat was getting done (rather than just details of how it went), or that communication after the surgery between player/doctors and the team were not what it should have been, THEN this situation could suggest some serious problems (such as, bad relationship between player and team, team and player disagree on course of treatment or player lacks trust in team/doctors, etc). It sounds like while there could be a little bit better communication about the situation between the two sides, there don’t appear to be any really major problems underlying this. Hopefully we’ll get some idea of how the surgery went soon, and Gernat will be back in the WHL before too long.

24. DSF says:

spoiler:
    I don’t think we have any evidence that the Oilers are not trying.In fact, all the verbal we have from the Management Team* is that they were trying add another defenseman.IIn fact kudos to Tambellini for not spending assets on a defenseman for a season that might not happen.

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir cannot be outnumbered.

Think of them as the Chuck Norris of choirs.

25. blackdog says:

Phoebe Cates. Oh my. Great moment from a great movie.

What was the question again?

Two. Definitely two.

27. PunjabiOil says:

The reason the Oilers haven’t been able to improve on D is because they signed too many guys. Extended Potter prematurely (2 years at that), refused to trade Sutton when the value was there at the deadline, and insisted on keeping Peckham.

Should have just cut bait on one of them, and signed Roszival who went for a mere 2M/1 year, and represents a huge upgrade over Peckham/Sutton/Potter.

Good GM’s find value signings in August/September.

Case in point – I questioned why it made sense to try to develop JF Jacques when Raffi Torres was available for a few hundred thousand more? Vancouver scooped him up, and reaped the benefits in the SC run season.

Tambelleni recently stated there is desire to add a veteran defenceman, but they do want to go via the trade route. Problem is, nobody wants those players.

The other possibility is the Oilers are waiting until the new CBA clears to upgrade the D.

We wait.

28. Schitzo says:

So here’s a question – were the Oilers able to have any contact with Gernat after his injury? Not that the Oilers doctors have been any screaming hell lately, but it’d be a gong show if Gernat is relying on the OKC trainers and his family doc to oversee things.

29. nelson88 says:

The top 4 D-man is coming. Tambo is just an extremely sly negotiator (think Columbo as a hockey GM) and biding his time to snag Luongo and Ballard from Vancouver in exchange for Horcov, MVP and a couple of B class prospects (Teubert and Hamilton). That way he can kill two birds with one stone by also fixing the “reliable back up goaltender” problem

30. Kris11 says:

My Slovakian doctor says Gernat had a left knee-ectomy and will be out 6-8 years. When he returns he will be two inches shorter on the left side.

What a country!

31. DBO says:

Like the Shultz signing, but I think the top thing was the last 2. Signing the kids to long term deals signals that our core will be here long term, and any prospective free agent looking to win will be more inclined knowing who the core will be.

And I’ll give a small plug to the lockout. yes the lockout. No team will benefit more then the Oil for a 2 month delay to the start. Shultz adjusts to the AHL, smoothing his move to the NHL. Hall gets to properly rehab his shoulder. Whitney gets a few more months to rehab his ankle. And MPS, Hartikainen get to start in a lesser league and build some confidence, hopefully having one stand out and gain confidence allowing them to hit the ground running when we return for Christmas.

So, after all of that I think the lockout is the best thing to happen to the Oil. Hell, we’ll be at .500 after the first month.

32. Gerta Rauss says:

DBO,

The kicker is we’ll still be in the playoff hunt at Christmas time.

33. Gerta Rauss says:

I like the Schultz signing as well. I hope we’ll look back on it as when the tide turned and UFA’s started seriously looking at Edmonton as a destination.

34. FastOil says:

The Schultz signing was definitely it for me. A huge difficult self inflicted hole disappeared and best of all it cost nothing more than Anaheim’s loathing. I guess you have to be lucky to be good. Maybe they knew all along.

As for not acquiring more depth at defense especially RH, it makes no sense. The better free agents were too pricey, but they didn’t need to sign a player like that yet nor do I think they wanted too unless it was too good to pass on. There were however steady veterans to have at reasonable short term cost. Guys to stabilize defensive play at least.

Why would they do this? Maybe they can’t see a problem? Perhaps it’s a negotiating tactic not out of the bag yet “we won’t ice a NHL defense without an arena”? I won’t say it.

It is odd there is not much Gagner news. I would think playing somewhere half competitive would be good for him, he is still developing. They definitely are making him earn his spot.

35. gcw_rocks says:

I would put the Hall and Schultz deals as the two big wins, but I disagree on the Gagner deal. I think its was perfect. They either had to go all in with him (i.e. long term deal) or one year, nothing in between. If one side or the other was not willing to go all in, or they couldn’t agree on dollars for an all in contract, then this deal is the best possible outcome for the Oilers (unless this season is flushed).

The one year deal forces gagner back to the negotiating table next summer as an RFA. If he had a 2 year deal, for example, he would not be obligated to negotiate with the team before becoming a UFA.

Therefore, the Gagner deal actually ranks number 3 on my list of good things the Oilers did this summer.