FARJESTAD V MODO 6.10.12

Young Klefbom is having an electric start to his 19-year old season in the SEL. 9, 0-3-3 +7 and he’s playing 19 minutes a night. The +7 leads all SEL defenders and the verbal I’m reading is pretty bloody positive. His D partner (Sanny Lindstrom) tweeted “We will enjoy as long as we can have Klefbom in Swedish hockey” the other day, that’s pretty positive.

When we discuss the 19-year old seasons for these men, it’s usually a CHL or NCAA player and we should expect some domination. However, Klefbom is playing in a pro league with men. For him to be leading the league in plus minus, playing top 4 minutes this early, and on pace for 15 or so points this year means he’s improved across the board (in his 9 SEL games).

When Bettman cancels the season and we’re free to speculate about 2013-14 (or 2014-15), I think at this point we should include Klefbom and Justin Schultz in the top 6. The kids ahead of Klefbom on the Oilers depth chart aren’t going to decide his timeline, Klefbom will.

And right now he looks pretty impatient.

Justin Schultz scored a goal and played well in a 4-0 drubbing of Houston by the OKC Barons. This isn’t a huge item–exhibition games aren’t the regular season–but its nice to see him use his God-given talents and put up a goal in his first game.

Martin Marincin (tendonitis in his shoulder), Martin Gernat (shoulder surgery) and David Musil (off to a very nice start in Vancouver) round out the ‘fab 5′ hopefuls on D for Edmonton’s future. Those damn injuries will have their say, the current maladies of the Martin’s is a reminder.

• Lots of action today. Belleville plays (Daniil Zharkov) as does Kitchener (Rieder); Zharkov has 2 points in 4 games, Rieder 6 points in 5.
  • Kyle Bigos and Merrimack get underway tonight, with Bigos chasing a famous record. He enters this season with 346 career penalty minutes. The 6-foot-5 California native needs just 54 more – he racked up 125 last season – to break the program’s all-time record of 400, set by “Two-Minute” Tom Costa from 1992-96.

63 Responses to "FARJESTAD V MODO 6.10.12"

1. Bar_Qu says:

Way to go Bigos…..*desultory clapping*

Interesting about Klefbom, hire he looks more & more like a guy from the Jason Smith tree of defenders. That can only be a good thing.

And the Oilers should start & end their Dman evaluations with shoulder strength tests. Holy crap!

2. slopitch says:

Morning LT. There aren’t many teams that benifit more from the lockout then the Oilers. A Dec 15 end of lockout would be ideal. Just in time for Xmas.

I’m surprised Minnesota was able to get Brodin over to Houston, not that it matters SEL is a good league but having him play with the kids would be bonus. Anyways Brodin is gonna be a stud. Nice to see Oilers light him up. Great start for Yak and Klefbomb!

3. striatic says:

Rieder with 6 points in 5 games?

maybe he is for real afterall?

looking at edmonton’s future plans, I guess he slots in to replace Hemsky at some point?

early yet, but edmonton’s prospects have never looked so good or close to competing. up arrows everywhere.

4. Zack says:

Most of the prospects seem to be tracking really well. As for this draft class of 2013 the top five seem to be an exceptional young group. Last year the only “franchise” type player that was thrown around was Yakupov and even so it was carefully used by sources however this year the caliber of talent seems to swamp last years class.

Centers
    MacKinnon
    Monahan
    Barkov
    Lindholm

Defense
    Jones
    Pulock
    Ristolainen
    Nurse

Could you imagine the Oilers adding one of these players to their pool of prospects next year?

5. loosemoose says:

I’ll try and word this question as best I can…..it sounds fine in my head, the real world, not so much:)

Does the intensified focus on these prospects alter our preceptions and expectations for the better or worse?

Does this hot start for Klefbom give him more leway for error when he’s up in the show? Or is his leash shorter, because we already saw what he could do against men?

How crucial will it be for Reider to impress when he’s trying out in a year or two because of his big seasons? If we watch him through a magnifying glass for a whole year, how do we break down his game when he finally gets here?

We’ve all seen propspects have good years and show arrows in the right way, only to have it fall off the rails.

With so many prospects showing well, does this extended viewing help or hurt our development?

6. striatic says:

loosemoose,

it helps.

Lander is case in point. Kept up way too long based on strong rookie and training camps.

an additional year of scrutiny in the SEL would have helped.

I think longer leashes can help in other ways as well, see Ray Whitney and Curtis Glencross. greater familiarity on those situations may have been helpful.

Loose: I don’t think Rieder’s start is all that impressive. That 1line for Kitchener gets a ton of time both evs and PP, and Rieder scored at a 1.42ppg clip last season. It’s early but I think 1.5/ppg is a good line in the sand for Rieder’s RE. 65 games, 100 points. Something like that.

Zharkov too imo needs to pick up the pace.

Klefbom? These are really nice numbers. I don’t think we can expect more than 15 points, 19-20 minutes a night and a plus minus that suggests good things are happening for his team while Klefbom is on the ice.

8. sliderule says:

This is a nice start for Klefbom .I think nearly everybody who saw him at development camp expected a good year for him.
    Rieder has played all five games on the road as Rangers spend first ten of season away.I think that would have a big effect on him with junior bus travel and weekend compressed games all on the road.All things considered it’s not that bad a start.

9. engineer says:

Klefbom is green no. 7.

LT: I hope that streaming links are ok, if not, appologies in advance.

Engineer: You’re my new favorite! Thanks!

11. engineer says:

1-0 Färjestad. Kbom not on the ice.

He had a nice shift before the goal, rubbing out a winger, solid play along the boards, calm passing to set up the exit out of the defensive zone.

12. engineer says:

Nice work along the boards on the offensive blue, battling/maintaining possession and getting the puck deep twice in one shift.

Yeah, saw that. Very smart play, never really in trouble despite taking a small risk, and won the puck with hard work. Unlucky on the other end, winger didn’t get over there in time to do anything with it.

14. engineer says:

I didn’t really like the shift where he tried to rush the puck into the offensive zone, while MODO were balanced and in position. He lost the puck, and had to hustle to get back and cover his man. He managed, barely. I think that play’d get him in trouble in the NHL.

tolefsson made a boneheaded play there. Horrible. Had the puck behind his net in control, and went out the same way Modo F came in. Crazy.

Klefbom’s positioning is textbook.

17. engineer says:

Liked that little bit of PK play, getting to a lose puck and dumping it out of the zone.

6:58 that period, 2nd to giveaway Tollefson.

19. wuthering says:

At this point of his career, gap control might be the most important thing besides positional play. If he’s to keep up in the NHL, his gap control has to be really good now.

Bar Q: how does he remind you of Jason Smith?

20. Lucinius says:

Is that the definition of a bullshit penalty or what?

21. Dipstick says:

Klefbom gets a delay of game penalty for freezing the puck against the boards with his skates. Dave Hunter would lead this league in penalties, two minutes at a time.

22. jp says:

A couple of posts from the HFBoards Klefbom thread:

A few days ago from SouthSwe:
    “The local newspaper is giving out points 5-4-3-2-1 to the 5 best Färjestad players every game. Klefbom was leading with 15 points after the first 7 games. The 2nd guy had 9.”

And yesterday from winther88:
    “Just as SouthSwe, I’m watching all of the games Farjestad plays and i can only agree with all the praise he is giving Klefbom. Oscar has been a force so far this season. His pokechecks are just awesome and it seems impossible for the opposing forwards to get past him.

The biggest difference this year compared to last season is that he’s a lot more physical, using his big body to shield the puck and and also to push the opposing forwards around. He’s also a lot calmer with the puck, always making smart decisions and great passes. It seems like he is reading the play faster than everyone else on the ice and he’s always a step ahead.

Brodin really made an outstanding season for us last year and is the best young player we have had in years, until now. The start Klefbom have had of this season is in my mind better than what Brodin performed last year. If he continues to play like this, he really should be a regular in the national team, and that is also something that the coach for Team Sweden has been mentioning.

On top of all of his skills on the ice he really is one of the nicest guys I have met in the business. I work as a hockey reporter and have been doing a lot of interviews with Oscar and he’s just genuinely nice. He could talk for hours and always takes time to answer all of your questions. A class act indeed!”

And a reply from SouthSwe:
    “Very good report, spot on. We have the exact same view about Klefa. I also think that Oscar have been playing equal or even better than Brodin did. Didn’t think this was possible to beat to be honest. Klefbom is using his body and strength in a way Brodin cudn’t.

Only thing he shud work on now is his offense and foremost his shot. His accuracy cud be a bit better, and his wristshot harder.”

Those are some very encouraging words from some Farjestad fans who get to see Klefbom lots. Gotta work on his offense, but he sounds like a rock on the back end. Will be great to see him in Edmonton’s top 6 next season!

23. Bruce McCurdy says:

Dave Hunter — still a legend

I remember when he was a young player Hunter used to have a bad habit of taking penalties with less than a minute in a period. I remember Slats talking to Rod in a pre-game interview about it, Sather was so fucking terse all the time. Small item, but it stayed with me.

Have to say though that I enjoyed Hunter’s game. Up and down winger, his mark didn’t get a lot of chances even in the wild, wild west of his era.

25. blackdog says:

Watch the 72 Series, they freeze the puck every couple of minutes and I remember that being very common in the 70s. Can’t remember the last time I saw it in the NHL.

LT when you use Gabe’s comps its always almost based on offence, can you think of the last 19 year old to play top 4 minutes in the SEL and have the success that Klefbom is having? I’d be interested if you have any comps.

Here’s a name that might not be popular but imo if its Klefbom’s ceiling I think it would be great – Bouwmeester. Just thinking of what I have seen of the kid in limited viewing – big, excellent skater, good headman pass but not a guy who is going to put up big numbers.

Thoughts on either question/point. Anyone?

26. blackdog says:

As to Reider, a guy I follow on Twitter is Corey Pronman. I presume anyone on Twitter here does as well but if not you should be. Excellent guy to follow on prospects. Big fan of many of the Oilers’ kids but Reider not so much. Iirc he thinks a pro career is a possibility but while buddy has the offensive tools he is really slight and easy to knock off the puck.

That’s just by memory but I think that was his take on him for what its worth.

27. Bruce McCurdy says:

NHL did away with freezing of the puck decades ago, refs stopped blowing the whistle every time puck went to boards. They used to blow it down right away, drove me nuts. I can’t recall exact year they made the sea change, but if you google “Dave Hunter Rule” you might find it.

28. Bruce McCurdy says:

Enjoying this feed, but is there a way to make the guys look like they’re not 6’2, 150?

29. gd says:

I think the JBo is an excellent ceiling for Klefbom. The guy I think he reminds me of, that LT might have already made the comparison is Bill White. From his stat sheet on Euro Hockey that Hunter-like Delay of Game penalty was his first penalty of the year, which I think might be the most encouraging stat for the guy we are hoping will be our shutdown Dman.

30. engineer says:

Bruce: No, don’t think so.

31. jfry says:

after seeing klefbom at the wjc i felt like a brewer career was in line, and possibly brewer +. i would be very happy if he had that career.

thanks for the stream link!!

32. Bruce McCurdy says:

Some nice gap control by Klefbom on a couple recent shifts, and a good active stick besides. He looks pretty commanding out there.

33. Bruce McCurdy says:

Terrific d-zone coverage by Olaf Chorwick and Lars-Gunnar Strudney on that tying goal.

34. engineer says:

The one thing I keep coming back to with Kbom is his desire to skate with the puck, even when under pressure.

35. Bruce McCurdy says:

Encouraging to see Klefbom on the ice in the dying seconds of a tie game, with all 3 (!) points still on the line.

Now that they’ve reached overtime they’ve split the first two points and are playing off for the third; so much more logical, this three-point must system!

36. blackdog says:

Yeah Brewer is another guy who comes to mind although I think Klefbom may have higher upside. We’ll see I guess!!

37. Bar_Qu says:

wuthering,

When I say this, take it with a grain of salt because I haven’t seen him play, just the discussion around him and looking at his numbers. My day job (dad of three) won’t let me watch those early SEL games.

And I am not making a comparison (not, Klefbom plays like J. Smith) but I mean he is from the tree of reliable D-first defenders who you can throw out in any situation to ensure the puck stays moving in the right direction and provide some leadership on the backend. Maybe Smid might be the a better current example, though I don’t think Klefbom plays as physically (Engineer, you could say better).

As I read Tyler’s SJ vs Edm PP comparisons, I keep thinking the Oilers could’ve used a Gator to help settle not only the PK, but stem the bad positional stuff on the PP too.

38. engineer says:

Bar:

He doesn’t come across as highly physical, but he’s been effective when seeking contact, rubbing the opponent out both in the offensive and defensive zone.

Personally, I like the Bouwmeester comparison, as for style. What his ceiling is… I have no clue on that. He looks calm and effective as an every-day SEL defender at 19. That, I think, is a positive indicator. But it would indeed be good to see who else managed that.

39. jfry says:

so klefbom plays the whole last minute of OT?! not bad. i really like the 4/4 play where he acts like a sweeper.

40. jp says:

Think they give Klefbom a chance in the shootout? Not too likely I guess :)

41. jfry says:

don’t know anything about Salak, but he’s looked good and big in net today for FBK

42. gd says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I cannot agree more. The three point game makes so much sense. Much more incentive to go for it in the last few minutes of a tie game. Would seem to reward offensive teams and punish defensive teams. Also, I think playoff races would be much more complicated and exciting. Let’s face it, the moment they awarded the loser point, historical point totals became uncomparable between eras anyways.

43. Bar_Qu says:

engineer,

Thanks for that. I think the Oilers would be grateful to have a Bouwmeester on their roster. As long as the puck is always up to the superstar forwards, then there is no need for a D-man to put up 60 pts, but certainly to make sure they aren’t getting scored on if/when there is a turnover.

You simply cannot underestimate the value of a good defensive D.

44. bendelson says:

gd,

All games should allocate the same number of points.

Wake up NHL.

45. sliderule says:

I don’t know why but there has been a lot of misinformation spread about Rieder.

When he first came ion the scene word was he was slow.Then I read he finished second in OHL all star sprint.At the development camp they had him paired with Pelss which in itself should tell you something.I would bet there speed is very close.

Then I hear a report that Pronman thinks he is slight.Oiler stat say he is 5ft10 and 187 lbs.These are about the same as Eberle and maybe a little heavier as Ebs was about 175 at the same age.

I would say that by stats he is very much like Eberle.Rieder scored 1.09 pts /game in his first two years of junior and Ebs over a similar period scored 1.14 pts/game

We will see this year how it all plays out for Rieder but by stats he has scored about the same as Ebs is slightly bigger and probably quite a bit faster.

46. Traktor says:

Is lowetide not tracking a player this year or am I blind?

47. blackdog says:

Sliderule, I think Pronman’s point was more that he played slight. Not that he’s afraid of contact but that he’s a bit easy to knock off the puck.

Hey for where he was picked I think he’s a good one and having never seen him play I have no idea. Obviously hope the kid makes it.

Bar Qu – absolutely, a guy who can play 25 minutes a night against the toughs and hold his own or better. Tom Gilbert could do that, which is why I never got the dislike some had for the guy (yes yes didn’t knock guys on their ass). If you have a guy who can play those minutes and effectively you’re in great shape.

You don’t NEED the stud defenceman to win/contend for the Cup but your odds of doing so go way up if you have one.

Traktor: It’s Rieder. Danny’s setting it up. should be installed soon.

49. gd says:

I just calculated last year’s standings if they had the 3 point game rule and the only change in the standings were that St.Louis would have finished ahead of Van and a few minor changes in the standings of the non playoff teams. I still think this would be a no brainer rule change to give teams more incentive to go for the win in regulation.

50. sliderule says:

Apparently during the game they announced Klefbom as player of week for SEL .

Nice honor for the guy.

Jay Bo comparisons are spot on to my eye.

51. VOR says:

I know nothing about Rieder but I do know how hard it can be to predict the career arcs of young men when they are 18 or 19.

I was in Laval in 1984. I had the chance to go to a junior game. It was a wipeout, a massacre. Laval gave every appearance of having instituted the mercy rule. It was like they had to pass it 5 times, at least once on the backhand before they could shoot and Super Mario wasn’t allowed to shoot at all. Even so Laval won by some outrageous score.

I was sure Lemieux would be the star everybody predicted. He was amazing, everywhere at once. The game slowed down for him.

At that point I was sure I could spot hockey talent. I was seriously thinking of a career in scouting. So I was always looking for future NHLers. I travelled around Alberta looking, talking to veteran scouts, coaches, and reporters.

That night, in Laval, I was trying to ignore Mario and watch the other players. I didn’t see anybody else that looked like they had a chance of ever playing in the NHL. Especially not on the Hull team who were Laval’s victims that night.

Hull were the worst team I had ever seen. Awful. Their scoring leader kept his head down the entire game and took ferocious hit after ferocious hit. Hull’s goons took tons of penalties and dropped the gloves at every opportunity (lost every fight). Laval’s D pushed Hull’s forwards off the puck at will. The kids playing goal for Hull couldn’t stop a beachball.

How any scout ever saw somebody good on that Hull team is beyond me. Yet a scout from LA did exactly that. LA wasted a late round pick on Luc Robataille. Great call. Too small, too slow, too chicken, too weak. You name it, the kid was the definition of a wasted draft choice.

Even LA couldn’t have known that the next season Hull would get a new coach, a newby to coaching, guy named Pat Burns. Burns would roll Robataille every second shift for the next two years. Robataille’s offence exploded. Hull became a powerhouse.

Robataille made a seamless transition to the NHL where he played over 1400 games and scored over 600 goals.

Every time some “authority” tells me a kid is too small, too weak, and gets pushed off the puck I thing of Luc Robataille. The scouts were right Robataille was all those things and yet somehow the sum was greater than the total of the parts. As much as I admire Pronman he can be right in his analysis and be totally wrong about Rieder’s future.

By the way, that night in Laval, I also missed another extraordinary talent. He was a teammate of Lemieux’s, kid named Vinnie Damphousse. Good thing I didn’t become a scout.

VOR: Lol. I remember leaving the arena in St Albert late 90s and telling my wife “they’re cheering for Mike Comrie, but Jamie Lundmark is the player here.” Yeah.

I saw Damphousse speak at the convention center a few years ago and he talked about his draft day. He attended and waited and waited and waited and waited. He kept eating hot dogs, waiting. FINALLY they call his name and he’s as happy as a pig in well, you know.

Runs down to the LAK table and no one is there. An aide gives him a Los Angeles Kings pin and tells him they’ll be in touch.

Hahaha.

53. wuthering says:

Bar_Qu,

I’ve watched only a little of him as well, was just wondering if I missed something. J. Smith was more a puck-off-the-glass type then what I think Klefbom projects. I can only recall a handful of Smith rushes over the years, and Klefbom did so a few times in the junior tourney. But it’s also a great positive that his defensive game is already so good. I expect the offense will come. This is, in my view, the best way for d-prospects to develop.

Bruce,

Glad to hear his gap control is good. How is his first pass out of the zone?

54. PaperDesigner says:

This is a very key development for the Oilers. If Klefbom can evolve into a top-pairing, shutdown defencemen who can chip in some offense, that’s a massive, massive win for the organization on two levels–in dealing Penner for primarily a first round draft pick, and the scouting staff for finding an excellent player outside of lottery country.

I think the most interesting group of prospects are the picks this organization has had outside of number 1, but before the later wastelands of mid and late round picks. It’s where most successful organizations have to make hay–get a player every once and a while at 20, and make some of your second round picks count. If you look at their top two round picks in the Stu MacGregor era, excluding the first overall guys:

Jordan Eberle
    Magnus Paajarvi
    Anton Lander
    Tyler PItlick
    Martin Marincin
    Curtis Hamilton
    Oscar Klefbom
    David Musil
    Mitch Moroz

That’s a really intriguing group. Three first round picks (Eberle, Paajarvi, Klefbom). The only real suspect, IMO, is Moroz.

I wonder if this might have been a replay of the wonderful drafting run of the Oilers from, what was it, 1979-1983, where the magic abruptly died after that? We may look back and recognize the run from 2008 to the first pick of 2012 the same way, with Mitch Moroz cast as Fraser’s home in Mexico. These are not the Oilers of the glory days… but might this be equivalent to that team if you subtracted Gretzky from them? I think that has to be the hope. Well, that team if it had a salary cap that forced them to dismantle after the 85 cup.

55. fuzzy muppet says:

The more I read about Klefbom, the more I see Petry as a comparable. Big, smooth skating, right-hand shot, eats minutes, some offensive but not high end.

I’ll take another Petry any day

56. PaperDesigner says:

fuzzy muppet:
    The more I read about Klefbom, the more I see Petry as a comparable.Big, smooth skating, right-hand shot,eats minutes, some offensive but not high end.

I’ll take another Petry any day

Current Oiler comparable? Perhaps Smid?

57. jp says:

PaperDesigner: Petry has shown pretty good offense all the way through his career, though, and looks to be a safe bet to be often north of 30 points, maybe 40, going forward. Klefbom? Not yet. He may have that dimension, but I think we need to see more from him first.

Current Oiler comparable? Perhaps Smid?

Agreed that Petrys offense has always been solid, and projects better than Klefboms currently does. Based on their Swe/Czech senior league scoring, Smid is definitely a good comp. In the jr leagues Klefbom has shown decent offense though, so may be it’s just lagging behind, not uncommon for young guys transitioning to playing with men. His stats are here (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16804&lang=en). He’s scored more than Smid did in the Czech jr leagues (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9225&lang=en). I think half way between Petry and Smids offense might be a fair expectation – say 20-25 pts a season. If that’s combined with solid play in his own end (which looks like it might be a good bet), that’s a very valuable player. Looking forward to NHL hockey again some day, and seeing Klefbom playing with the Oil before too long.

58. VOR says:

My favorite draft story concerns the 1984 and 1985 NBA drafts.

The Utah Jazz were by that point the laughing stock of basketball. Starting in New Orleans and then moved to Utah the Jazz did it all wrong. They traded away years of first round draft choices to get Pete Maravich whose knees gave out. They traded future hall of famer Dominique Wilkins for nothing. They traded away every good player they ever had and got nothing back.

By 1984 despite fanatic and continuing fan support the owner, stuck in a small market, had made up his mind to move to Las Vegas. The fans of the Jazz were holding out for a local hero. They got one of the strangest ones in all of the history of sport, which is saying something.

A car dealer (many used and of uncertain provinence) named Larry H. Miller stepped up and paid 8 million dollars for 50% of the team. He also took over effective management control of the team. He was eccentric, prided himself on knowing how to motivate people but was mostly a bully in a loud suit. Rumors would persist for years that he was tied to certian criminal elements.

Coming into the 1984 draft the Jazz only had, despite a terrible record, the 16th pick over all. It was clear they would take Vern Fleming. Fleming was a born scorer who could shoot from everywhere. Draft day comes and the Jazz are on the clock.

Miller doesn’t want Fleming he wants some white kid nobody’s ever heard of and management is trying to tell him that 6’5″ shooting guards don’t grow on trees. Nope Miller wants who he wants – management can’t even find a stat line on the kid. Miller knows it all. On paper the kid sounds great, but managment is pointing out to their new owner that this kid played for Gonzaga, a nothing school in a nothing conference. His stats aren’t comparable to Fleming who played as they put it “in primetime”. Meanwhile the NBA is pressuring them as time passes. Finally Miller famously said, “just go up there and take my kid.” He accompanies that with a gesture where he makes a gun, points it at Frank Hayden the coach and GM and pulls the trigger. Much of this was seen and overheard reporters and some caught on mike. What is worse its that when John Stockton is announced as the pick, the few Utah fans start to boo and the rest of the crowd joins in. Probably the most unusual beginning to a Hall of Fame career in basketball’s long history.

By the next year, as his hand picked number one is looking terrible and Fleming is scoring with regularity everybody is sure Miller has learned his lesson. He won’t ever interfere again.

However, under pressure he is looking at having to buy the other half of the team for $16 million to prevent it going to Minnesota. If he is going to spend that kind of money it is going to be his team his way. So he does it again, he over rules the scouts and management who want A.C.Green.

If you look at the tapes of that day you can see how crushed Utah’s management is, their body language says it all. They have no choice but to go with Miller’s guy, again, and so they pick a chubby and physically fragile kid named Karl Malone. Miller swears Malone will be a great power forward.

Arguably the two best value picks in the history of basketball were made by a car salesman who had never seen either guy play. He used something he called, “sports math” but has never revealed how exactly that worked.

59. stevezie says:

VOR,

Great story. Bizarre.

VOR: Best. post. ever.

61. wuthering says:

That is a beauty VOR.

62. borisnikov says:

I’d be happy with Klefbom turning into a J-Bo type player but please God let him have more personality than a white sheet of paper.