FARJESTAD VS VAXJO 9.10.12

Oscar Klefbom is getting some good pub these days, what with things going well and all. Klefbom’s name is showing up often in game previews and reviews, and most of the talk is positive and about his defensive play.

This item previews today’s game:

• It is worth noting before the game for all Farjestad interested is that Oscar Klefbom , who played fantastically well in the season beginning, located at +7 and has the best + / – in the entire league.

I know you’ve heard it before, but it is worth noting because defensemen rarely get ink for things that involve defense. All the fuss reminded me of something Kyle Woodlief wrote in his draft preview question and answer session this June. It was in response to a question about who the Oilers would draft, and the possibility of taking a defenseman:

• “I think the Oilers like Ryan Murray and Griffin Reinhart, and would prefer to draft a defenceman, though I don’t know that anyone they get in this draft is going to have a higher upside than Oscar Klefbom, whom they got in the first round last year.”

Part of the problem we as fans have is knowing what is truth and what is fiction in regard to any prospect, but it is especially difficult with the Euro kids. We were promised good players in Jani Rita, and Alexei Mikhnov, and Jesse Niinimaki and none of them turned into anything. Rita sat on a bench in Finland, Mikhnov had an idiot agent and a woman he wouldn’t leave, Niinimaki broke his wrist and didn’t really settle in as a player until age 26.

JESSE NIINIMAKI

Klefbom is building a good resume, solid arrows. This season is beginning to look like a breakout year.

24 Responses to "FARJESTAD VS VAXJO 9.10.12"

1. jonrmcleod says:

Do you know of any other scouts who think Klefbom could be better than Ryan Murray? I asked Corey Pronman this question on draft weekened, and he said no.

Jon: I don’t have anything beyond the Woodlief item.

3. humantorch says:

I got stranded in the railway station in Växjö one night when my train was late and I missed the last connecting train out of town.

Pro tip: don’t get stranded in the railway station in Växjö.

4. engineer says:

I haven’t been able to find an online feed for this game yet. Will check again closer to game time.

5. gcw_rocks says:

Nice to see this kind of positive buzz around Klefbom. Its huge for the organization if this kid turns out to be the real deal.

LT, thanks for keeping us up to date!

6. gd says:

jonrmcleod,

I think the fact Lindholm, who didn’t even play in the WJC, and is only 6 months younger than Klefbom, went 6th overall, tells me Klefbom would easily have been a top 10 pick this year. (He is only two months older than Murray)

I know it’s early, but I have not seen anything from any of the D guys from this year’s draft that would make me trade Klefbom for any of them. I think Klefbom vs. Murray is close enough to be a legit debate. I do think being with Columbus could stunt Murray’s development, and he might a value pickup in about five years.

7. raventalon40 says:

gd:
    jonrmcleod,

That’s a lot of generalizations to go on, though, I mean the same argument could easily be applied to any prospect in the Oilers’ organization, by that metric. I think a better set of criteria for measurement of how players like Murray and Klefbom are likely to be developed are:

1. teams’ past performance in development of similar prospects (timelines of development)
    2. teams’ recent performance in development of similar prospects (timelines of development)
    3. teams’ roster make-up and acquisition of similar players (how much competition for roster spots, are they pushing some players more than others)
    4. player’s natural ability and
    5. player’s inherent work ethic

Which I understand are broad categories themselves, but it does more than saying “well it’s Detroit,” or “well it’s Columbus,” or “well it’s Edmonton.”

All that being said, I think we should be patient with Klefbom. We want to know if we’re getting Johan Motin or Jonathan Ericsson.

8. dessert1111 says:

The only D drafted in 2012 who I’d trade Klefbom for at this stage is Morgan Rielly. Still early, but I think it’s reasonable to be excited about him.

9. BoysontheBus says:

Just reading the game report here, and it states Klefbom was taken slowly off the ice and will not return tonight. Does anyone have any update as to what happened?

10. WeridAl says:

Klefbom fell heavily into the boards early in the last game and did not play the rest of it. Has anyone heard how badly injured he is.

11. engineer says:

Maybe he’s dressed as a no 7 tonight? 23 seconds played after two periods, in a 0-0 tie.

12. sliderule says:

With Gernat out for who knows how long,Marcinin injured and Klefbom injured there goes our defense prospect depth.

I wonder if the oil would redo their 2nd pick in light of the injuries.Pokka and Finn were available.

13. jonrmcleod says:

sliderule,

I think it’s a bit too early to panic.

14. sliderule says:

As oiler fans I believe we have reasons to panic

15. engineer says:

After about two minutes of the game tonight:

“Färjestads Klefbom tar sig långsamt av isen och det ser inte bra ut för den unge backen. Återstår att se om han spelar mer den här kvällen.”

Färjestad’s Klefbom slowly skates off the ice. It doesn’t look good for the young dman. We’ll see if he plays more tonight. Maybe it was tonight that he fell ackwardly?

16. engineer says:

Later the tv reporters are quoted as saying he won’t return. That explains the 23 seconds of ice time.

17. JohnnyOilfan says:

Corey Pronman tweeted that Klefbom got hit from behind. Hoping it’s nothing serious!!!

18. commonfan14 says:

From PuckDaddy – a post on ESPN.com’s new top 25 players under the age of 25 list. The actual article is linked to, but needs Insider access.

Hall comes in at #7.

…also Gagner is on the list and ahead of Eberle, which I’m sure will generate no discussion.

19. Truth says:

Is LT on vacation? Surely there would be an update on Klefbom’s injury by now. Doesn’t sound that good though.

commonfan14,

Gagner better than Eberle? Gagner. Better. Than. Eberle. Nope, still doesn’t make sense.

20. blackdog says:

Shoulder or arm apparently not that serious. Klebom that is.

21. Kris11 says:

I heard Klefbom lost both his arms after a collision at centre ice.

Could be a mistranslation, though.

But even without arms, he’ll still be better than Barker.

22. oilswell says:

I thought Niinimaki hurt his shoulder not his wrist. Insert joke here about also missing spine or heart.

23. Oilanderp says:

I can’t believe Klefbom grew a 3rd arm while recuperating for a minute! He rules! Klefbom! I heard he was pals with Jesus back in the day! I am shouting although neglecting the use of all capital letters to convey it! Klefbom!