MR RIEDER

After a slow start to the season, Tobias Rieder caught fire this week and is now among the OHL’s top 20 scorers. Is he tracking better this season?

• October 10-11: 12, 7-9-16 (1.33)
  • October 11-12: 12, 8-5-13 (1.08)
  • October 12-13: 7, 4-6-10 (1.43)
LIAM REDDOX
  • Age 17 68, 31-33-64 .941ppg
  • Age 18 68, 36-46-82 1.206ppg
  • Age 19 68, 19-45-64 .941ppg

TOBIAS RIEDER

• Age 17 65, 23-26-49 .754ppg
  • Age 18 27, 21-14-35 1.296ppg
  • Age 19 11, 5-10-15 1.36ppg

Prospects do not develop in a straight line and at the junior level Rieder should be killing it this season. As mentioned by a poster at Lowetide (sorry, don’t remember who and can’t seem to find it) Rieder played away games early.

He’s still valuable across all three disciplines, and his season is heading in a good direction. Good arrows, again. Is this guy signed yet?

34 Responses to "MR RIEDER"

1. Jesse says:

So is the idea that he could eventually be a solid 2-3rd line, two-way winger? I can see him pairing well with Paajarvi on a 3rd line perhaps.

2. regwald says:

Yes, I remember the post as well. Something to do with renos on the home rink not being done. They played 8 in a row on the road, 9 of the first 10 on the road and of the 11 games to date that they have played, only two have been at home. 10 of the next 15 games are home games for Kitchener.

3. mps91 says:

LT,

I was thinking the same thing as Jesse- Based on his stats and the style of game he plays, what does he project to be at the next level? I’d love to see him in a bottom 6 role, as a guy who can PK and chip in some offence. I do think size is a problem, especially if we are going forward with a smaller top 6, we will have to compensate by emphasizing size in the bottom 6. Just my opinion, would love to know what you think.

4. ironsight says:

Tobias Rieder
    11 GP = 5G – 10A – 15P = Even+/-

How does a guy with 15 points in just 11 games have an even +/-? Here’s how:

ES – 2G – 2A – 4P
    PP – 2G – 8A – 10P
    SH – 1G – 0A – 1P

5. sliderule says:

I have only seen Rieder live at the development camp bit I have watched a lot of clips of his goals on Ranger website.

The player that he seems most like is Eberle.He is about same size,perhaps a little faster,,quick accurate shot and a lot of his goals in tight.One thing he has over Eberle is a very good one timer.

I know the rangers use him a lot in PK and I think the OHL coaches voted him as one of best at that.

6. mps91 says:

sliderule:
    I have only seen Rieder live at the development camp bit I have watched a lot of clips of hisgoals on Ranger website.

Nice, that is all good news. Especially the PK part. Still, I wonder how he could be more useful than Reddox at the NHL level.

7. sliderule says:

MPS 91
    Reddox couldn’t score goals in NHL .That started to show in his final year of junior when he only got 19 goals a .28/game clip.
    Rieder last year averaged .7/game and in the playoffs even better .8/game.If he can keep scoring goals at over .5 /game in this his final year I think he can grab a job in the NHL.

8. jake70 says:

9. Marc says:

Random Stereophonics factoid:

The band are very well known here in the UK and play at high profile rock festivals – usually not headlining, but one of the bigger names. Their lead singer Kelly Jones is a huge fan of the Tragically Hip (who have virtually no following here) and has been since he was a teenager. He even named his band in high school after them (and Mother Love Bone and Bad Company).

When the Hip play over here it is usually in small venues and Kelly usually joins them on stage for a song or two (it was Fiddlers Green the last time I saw them). It always seems to catch some of the people at the gig by surprise to see a relatively big name on stage with a bunch of nobodies.

10. Ducey says:

jake70: Schultz AHL player of the week….think we can characterize his start in pro hockey as pretty good?

Whats the over/ under on when he blows a shoulder?

11. Chris Hext---formerly EasyOil--- says:

ironsight,

Your point is valid but i seem to recall that Rieder had a very impressive season at ES last year, so I’m not too worried about his stats being buoyed by PP points at the moment. Apparently the Rangers have had trouble scoring all-round until recently, and it does look like things are picking up now.

Love the choice of the ‘Phonics song LT, as Marc says they’re pretty big here in the UK, or at least they used to be in their hayday.

12. frenchfrog says:

I can’t wait to hear what Vancouver, Florida, Minnesota or Chicago prospect gets to be named as a better player!

13. RexLibris says:

Having Reider come along like this is very good news for the franchise. They were getting a little low on RW prospects after Pitlick. It is beneficial that Pitlick is going to be two years ahead of him in development time as it will allow Reider time on the farm to keep developing. If Pitlick fails, is traded, or moves to center, then we could have a plug-and-play 3rd line RW ready in three years’ time.

I know that is a long forecast, but it never hurts to plan ahead.

14. BlacqueJacque says:

At his age, if he’s a legit scoring-line prospect, what should the target ppg be? 1.4? 1.5?

15. rickithebear says:

went to:

to get linemates a

Rieder playing with
    Thomson/Puempel LW – Faksa Center.
    had 6GM 2G – 5A
    Thomson 3GM 0G-1A
    Puempel 3GM 3G-2A
    Without Rieder 8GM 4G -2A
    Faksa 6GM 4G-2A
    Without Rieder 5GM 2G-2A
    Pretty obvious putting goal dominate center and left wing with rieder forced him in a set-up role.
    Marcantuoni without Rieder
    8GM 0G 0A
    with Rieder
    3GM 2G 1A
    Thomson With Marcantuoni & Rieder
    3GM 1G -2A
    Rieder with guys who can PASS and Shoot
    3GM 3G – 5A

16. BlacqueJacque says:

You could almost read that as Rieder being carried…

17. DSF says:

frenchfrog:

1) Niklas Jensen 14GP 7G 2A 9P SEL (that’s a pro league)

2) Jonathan Huberdeau 13GP 10G 8A 18P QMJHL

2A) Nick Bjugstad 4GP 3G 1A 4P NCAA (a big step up from junior)

2B) Quinton Howden 4GP 0G 2A 2P AHL

3) Mikael Granlund 5GP 2G 5A 7P AHL (rookie scoring leader AHL)

3A) Jason Zucker 4GP 2G 3A 5P AHL

Rieder could be the third best offensive player on that line and still be a helluva player.

19. sliderule says:

That’s a nice list DSF but the only two I would trade him for are your favorites Granlund and Zucker.

20. RexLibris says:

DSF,

The first five are all 1st round picks and the 6th is a 2nd rounder. Reider is doing pretty well for a 4th round pick, so I think some of this enthusiasm is warranted.

In all sincerity I wouldn’t compare Reider to any of the above at this point in time, but what is exciting is that he has thus far exceeded the perception of his draft-day potential.

As LT would say, there’s a lot of highway ahead so we can’t say anything for certain about this young man, but the arrows are pointing in the right direction.

Then he would probably have said something in the nature of Stu, you magnificent….

21. frenchfrog says:

DSF,

The fact you had to respond to such an obviously factitious statement is incredibly pathetic.

Best,

FF

22. BlacqueJacque says:

Kane, Gags, Kosti?

His stats suggest he’s stirring the drink right now, to borrow a phrase. He could be playing the role of a better Kosti. When he plays with Faksa and Puempel, he’s on a line with NHL first rounders (13th and 24th overall in 2012 and 2011, respectively.) Heady stuff for a fourth rounder.

23. KitchenerWatcher says:

I was at the Kingston game. 2nd row.

Reider is an intriguing player. Here’s a snap of what he did:
    - good boxcars, yes
    - played PP point with Ryan Murphy
    - took some face-offs (he won every draw I saw – at least 4), but Radek Faksa seems like the go-to Ranger for this
    - killed penalties (good positioning, good stick, etc.)

But here’s the good stuff:
    - possesses quick first step to go along with a good top speed. He blew by and away from numerous defenders at both ends of the ice.
    - when attacking, Kingston defenders were backing off, presumably scared he’d blow past them on the inside or outside.
    - fearlessly drove the net, drove to the outside, tried some end-around plays G. Anderson used to pull off, shot, deaked… He used a wide repertoire of attack.
    - stood in front of the net for tips & garbage too. Low centre of gravity made it hard for the defenders to push him out.
    - has soft hands. when receiving passes or taming pucks on the boards, the puck is like a magnet on his stick. When roaming through the offensive zone, his posture & puck possession remind me of Tyler Pitlick’s style of possession.
    - rarely if ever had an offensive attack die on his possession. In a bad spot? He’d make the pass and let someone else have a chance.
    - made several hits, trips into the corners, and other puck-possession battles.
    - on a regular shift, did NOT play with Faksa & Puempel. On the power play, he did. Regardless, he was NOT carried by his linemates. The opposite was true: Reider grabbed the game by the puck on almost every shift, creating chances and moving the puck up-ice effectively. Only Ryan Murphy moved the puck more effectively for either team.

In short, Reider had a very impressive game. He looks better than last year. Quicker & more confident.

Interestingly, when the game was over and the team crowded the netminder and had post-game celebrations, Reider was more on the periphery than the centre of the hootin’ & hollering. He came across as somewhat more timid. There was absolutely nothing about his game that was timid, so it came across as a Dustin Brown effect.

So, how does he project? Beats me! The fact is that he’s the top forward on a decent Kitchener team. Does he turn into an ideal NHL 3rd liner who moves up or down as needs arise? 40 points & a two-way game? Let’s hope so. He’s a heck of fun to watch now and I hope the show continues.

Great stuff Mr, thanks so much. I think it puts Rieder in a very good spot–he’ll have a strong chance at being a useful pro player even if his offense doesn’t come with him. And if it does, big fly!

25. BlacqueJacque says:

I love this blog.

I mean, what other team-specific blog gets comments like that from so far away?

I loved the stuff about taking and making passes. Liked him before, more now. It’s an underrated skill.

27. Matt.N says:

Tobias Rieder
    11 GP = 5G – 10A – 15P = Even+/-

How does a guy with 15 points in just 11 games have an even +/-?Here’s how:

ES – 2G – 2A – 4P
    PP – 2G – 8A – 10P
    SH – 1G – 0A – 1P

In his defense, the Rangers didn’t score a 5×5 goal until the 6th game of the season. Yes, they played nearly 340 minutes without scoring a 5×5 goal.

In the first 8 games of the season the Rangers took 293 shots to their opponents’ 254. However, the goals (not counting shootout or EN) were 14 to 19! 4.78% vs. 7.48%. This has leveled out over the past 3 games to 29 goals on 403 shots (7.20%) vs. 26 goals on 359 shots (7.24%).

Of course, the OHL has steeper talent gradients than the NHL so that kind of analysis isn’t perfect but it does shine some light on what is happening in Kitchener.

29. dessert1111 says:

I saw him play in Ottawa a week and a half ago and posted some of my thoughts in a comment a few threads back. In general, I felt he was the most complete player on the ice, and even if he doesn’t get on a “scoring” line in the NHL, I don’t see why he couldn’t find a role because his game has virtually no weaknesses. He can create some plays on his own but definitely benefits when his linemates help out, and during the game that I watched that was infrequent (Faksa and Puempel had very quiet games and Murphy had a poor first period then turned it up).

His transition game is very good, and that includes defending on the transition, since he often broke up plays in centre ice. He was good on the PK as well and his speed is obvious, though not elite. In fact, I don’t know if any aspect of his game is elite–they are all very good, though, and he seems to have a good work ethic, so I don’t see why he won’t continue to improve. He is very good defensively and plays hard on the puck; in the game I saw he took the puck from behind the net and pushed it off a defender’s skates and behind the goalie, scoring Kitchener’s 2nd and final goal (at even strength), kind of reminding me of that first Josh Green goal in the first weekend of the season. I will admit, purely skill-wise, Puempel and Murphy looked slightly better, but they also were not as complete of players, and they didn’t bring it every shift like Rieder did. I didn’t see him make any gaffes and just by watching him he looks solid. Even if he’s not a scorer I got lots of time for him.

30. mps91 says:

Thanks for the great reviews. Its hard not to get excited about a player who plays all special teams, and excels in all areas of the ice.

Also, why do you think he plays point on the PP? Is it his shot, passing or all around game?

31. PaperDesigner says:

Appreciate the song, Lowetide. Developed a passion for music late, and it’s always a delight when I hear a really good song from a band I haven’t heard before. I tend to listen to musics by albums, so if I like one song, I often get at least a couple of really interesting albums by that artist to check out.

32. KitchenerWatcher says:

>MPS91

My guess for why he played PP point:
    – he has good vision and distributes the puck well
    – Kitchener has other forwards who can fill the forward PP slots

However, Ryan Murphy is The Man on Kitchener’s blue line. Once the PP got going, Reider would sit on the half boards, cycle, and so on. Murphy stayed back and pulled the trigger while the other 4 skaters were more fluid.

Reider is more of a wrist shot guy. If he has a big slapper, I haven’t seen it.

PaperDesigner:

Music late? That must be an incredible joy. Seriously. I usually go for months without listening and then catch up in a big binge. Sorta like my drinking habits. :-)

34. PaperDesigner says:

Lowetide: Music late? That must be an incredible joy. Seriously. I usually go for months without listening and then catch up in a big binge. Sorta like my drinking habits.

Yeah. I guess I sort of missed that summer revolution where music suddenly clicks in for you. I always had the ability to be hit like a freight train by a great song, as limited as my listening range was, but I didn’t start to really appreciate it until I began to study it a few years ago. It can be intimdating or exhilarating to think of all the excellent music I have yet to explore in folk, classical, jazz, rock, metal or blues.

If you want someone to check out for your next binge, try Dry the River. Their entire Shallow Bed album is excellent, and surprising polished for a debut, but I particularly recommend New Ceremony and Bible Belt for a sampling.