NEFTEKHIMIK V TORPEDO 31.10.12

The future of the Oilers is on display today in the KHL. Nail Yakupov took 11 games to take his team lead in goals (8 now in 11 games) and we seem to be viewing another special player in his first few months of pro hockey. I’ll never get tired of this, watching elite talent emerge.

Robert Nilsson is one of Torpedo’s well, Torpedo’s. Nilsson doesn’t appear to be on the 1line but is having a decent season (16, 5-7-12) behind names like Makarov, Varnakov, Varlamov and Semin.

This is an insane photo of Rudy Pilous (left) and Glenn Hall. I found it when looking for masks for an ON post this week, but didn’t have room so thought I’d use it here. Masks have come a long way.

Have a safe Halloween, enjoy.

I’ve felt all along that the NHL would be playing hockey this year, and am surprised by how many pundits believe the same thing. Its one thing for some wonky fan on the internet to believe, but the experts seem to think they’ll get a deal done, too.

The next step? Ownership giving up on the salary cut for signed contracts. That’s the hill the NHLPA dies on, and its certainly a reasonable stance. Last time the ‘PA gave up the salary cap, this time its 50% instead of 57%. If they also allow pay cuts on signed contracts, next time Gary will say guaranteed contracts are the devil (or some such).

60 Responses to "NEFTEKHIMIK V TORPEDO 31.10.12"

1. regwald says:

Go Nail Go !!

I personally believe the season is lost already. Done. Gonzo. History. Written off. Good bye !

Regwald: I find myself hoping the players will stay out, seems to me the Jacobs’ owners group are in need of a spanking. But losing your NHL payday is a tough pill for these players and their families. I’m not going to cry a river, but if you’re making 2M then chances are your family’s lifestyle reflects it. Money’s too tight to mention is a stressful time no matter the actual dollars.

3. regwald says:

LT,

I agree, but I don’t see any movement right now. Bettman has dug in his heels. I only see movement if Fehr initiates via the players.

I totally agree the players have the most to lose here. Hell, some of the owners are in a better state, not playing – Columbus, Phoenix, etc.

4. rich says:

LT,

Have to agree with Regwald, I think the season is toast because you two sides who have identified their “hill to die on” and will not budge. Where both sides I think are making a big mistake is that they are underestimating the damage they are doing to their future marketability.

Sponsors this time around are not going to be as forgiving as the economy is much different and corporations are finding ways to cut budgets for this kind of expenditure – not keep it and will say it’s not worth investing. Especially with both sides being willing to alienate the people who do pay their salaries.

When the winter classic gets cancelled today or tomorrow – it will strengthen the hand of the hard liners on the owners side and signal the end of the NHL as a major sports league in the US for a decade. A shame if you ask me.

5. dessert1111 says:

I’m fine if the lockout lasts the whole year. Maybe TSN, Sportsnet and CBC will smarten up and show AHL games soon if that’s the case. I guess the Barons game televised next week is a start.

6. delooper says:

If the lockout goes much longer, a cunning KHL executive should decide to launch the KHL in a select 10 or 12 North American cities. They could displace the NHL in a season.

7. sliderule says:

I think there is a problem with egos on both sides but particularly Fehr.Neither Bettman or Fehr have lost in player negotiations.The difference is that Bettman stiill has to answer to the owners.

In hiring Fehr the players got a guy near the end of his career with no hockey knowledge.Watters was saying on the NHL network that until recently he did not know how entry level contracts worked.It is apparent that he is flying by the seat of his pants.The three proposals he slapped together show that the Nhlpa is not getting value from the Fehrs.

The elephant in the room is that because Fehr is a great communicator and is feeding the players his bullshit the season may be lost as the players will not turn on him until it’s too late

8. Ducey says:

I am an Oilers fan, not an NHL fan.

9. oilfan00 says:

Anywhere to watch the game?

10. engineer says:

Best one I’ve found yet.

11. ebsfan says:

Ducey: The lockout doesn’t bother me as much as the arena issue does. I can do other more useful things with my time than watch TOR every weekend on Hockey Night in Canada. I am an Oilers fan, not an NHL fan.

Which game is being televised? I’m planning to go to one of the games in Abbotsford and don’t want to go to the one on TV. Thanks.

12. danny says:

Fussy Britches has become active again it seems. Take it for what its worth obviously but heres her latest after the aforementioned dinner with garfield.

#Oilers #Habs multiplayer trade rumour. P.K Subban main piece coming back to Oilers.

#Habs want to include Gomez.

MPS and Belanger plus top D prospect is what the Oilers offering.

#Habs were asking for Yakapov.

Khabibulin is expected to retire APG

#Hab scouts really like Martin Marincin

Oilers did talk to Canucks about Luongo, Gillis had asked for Oilers 1st pick last June. @strombone1 was willing to think about coming .

13. slopitch says:

Jeez PK Subban would be that #1 d that slides everyone down a notch. Stop teasing us Fuzzy Britches!

14. raventalon40 says:

danny:

Hey Garfield is cheating! I suggested that trade on this blog months ago!

15. engineer says:

In other news, Yak just scored again (missed the live feed, this according to the box score).

16. Jesse says:

Not trying to be a buzzkill, but why would Montreal ever trade P K Subban? Especially for the things that the Oilers should be willing to give up? Belanger, MPS, and Marincin wouldn’t get that deal done IMO. That’s trading a cornerstone piece of your franchise for depth.

Interesting news about Khabibulin retirement being a possibility.

Also, Yakupov scored to tie the game.

17. engineer says:

2-1 Nefthehimik now. PP goal. Yak was on the ice, but the resolution’s pretty poor, so I dunno if he got an assist.

18. Ducey says:

danny,

19. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

“Oilers did talk to Canucks about Luongo, Gillis had asked for Oilers 1st pick last June. @strombone1 was willing to think about coming ”

1OV for an albatross contract is less credible than (e5) pr0n.

20. mxke says:

Yak’s goal was the finishing touch on a beautiful tick-tack-toe; probably the easiest he’s scored all season.

The PP goal was a tip from a long wrist shot from the point, no secondary assist to Niheel

21. Chunklets says:

The day that Yakupov departs for Edmonton is going to be a sad one for Renat Mamashev. Since Yak took off, Mamashev has about tripled his career ppg average.

22. danny says:

I like Subban but, I don’t see the guy as a surefire #1. It’s possible, but he’s just as likely to be a Bryan McCabe redux at this early stage IMO. His type A personality may be an issue with the young bucks too, if I may be paranoid for a sec.

Marincin is such a interesting prospect too. 7gp, 2g 2a in his first pro season so far. He’s a potential grand slam type prospect. So there’s that too.

All that said, I’d pull the trigger I think.

23. Jesse says:

danny,

But what reason would the Habs have to trade Subban? Aside from possible personality clashes I don’t see any reason that they’d want to.

24. Jesse says:

Posted this yesterday:

Some interesting things came up on Stauffer’s show when he expanded on what he said Monday. (All of this is mostly paraphrased).

“Think of a player that potentially could assist an NHL organization immediately improving their hockey team, but would become a cap casualty in the next number of years. Those players might be in play.”

He also talked about a possible feature of the new CBA, a buyout mechanism coming into effect, a full buyout that doesn’t affect against the cap. All of what he’s said thus far makes me think of Luongo and nobody else for some reason, so, this would mean that they could buy Luongo out when they have to sign Nuge and Yakupov, hoping that one of Roy or Bunz is ready by that time. But Stauffer didn’t mention the part about Luongo, that’s just my own personal feeling.

He then said:
    “You can go ahead and try and grow things organically – and the Oilers are in a pretty good position to do that. But if you’re an organization that has the will to strike, maneuver, and make a move, then there will be those kinds of deals to be made.”

He said that this is all contingent upon the season getting started by Dec 1. He also predicts that the lockout will likely be resolved by Nov 18 or 19.

“Could this be a trade or an offer sheet?”
    “Let’s leave it at that for now … let’s say it would make more sense for it to be a trade.”

~~~

Anyway. What this says to me (if it is based on some fact, which seems likely — I don’t know why Stauffer would step out and make such bold statements just to jack up the ratings) is that the Oilers are fully out of rebuild mode. They’re out of the collect picks and prospects for the future mode. I’m pretty sure everyone understood this to be true anyway, but Stauffer talked a fair bit about the Pronger and Peca episodes in 2005 as examples, and so to me, that sort of sheds a bit of light on just how much the organization has changed gears and is ready to actually try. Which is both exciting and scary, because we’ve got no idea whether or not Tambellini is going to trade Sam Gagner, Magnus Pajaarvi, and a high pick for a couple years of Luongo. I’m not sure why Luongo seems to be the most likely, but nobody else’s name is really in trade rumors right now (other than possibly Bobby Ryan, who would not fit the Oilers’ needs at all).

Anyway. That’s all.

25. raventalon40 says:

Jesse:

Interesting news about Khabibulin retirement being a possibility.

Also, Yakupov scored to tie the game.

There might be picks in play.

26. commonfan14 says:

Aside from how ridiculous it would be for the Habs to give us Subban for spare parts, how exactly would we be able to fit all of Hall, Eberle, Nuge, Yak, Schultz and P.K. under the salary cap and still be able to ice a real team?

Wouldn’t that eventually be something like $34 million per year for the 6 of them?

27. george_hamplas says:

Aside from it being fun to discuss, i don’t see why anybody would take an anonymous twitter feed seriously.

28. danny says:

Jesse:
    danny,

Not sure why exactly, but it’s the Habs. PK has been in rumors a few times in his short career. It’s a tough place to play when you’re not a media darling.

29. Jesse says:

commonfan14,

That is a really good question, and I think it partially gets answered by massive contracts coming off the books from players who are overpaid. If you take Whitney, Horcoff, and Khabibulin off of the list and replace them with players that are of the same skill set but are getting paid accordingly (or are on value contracts) then it frees up quite a bit of space.

Khabibulin $3.75 M
    Whitney $ 4 M
    Horcoff $ 5.5. M

That’s $ 13.25 M currently being taken up by an awful backup goaltender, a #5 defenseman, and a 3rd line C. Not to mention if Sutton ends up retiring I’m sure Oiler management could find a 6/7 D man for less than $1.75 M a year.

But ultimately you’re right. The Oilers are going to need to start getting massive value from the bottom half of their roster, which they aren’t right now.

30. Kris11 says:

Well, with no NHL, we might as well discuss silly trade rumors.

I like the trade suggested:

MPS, Belanger, Marincin

for

Subban (Plus salary)

But the Habs wouldn’t do that. Maybe they would do it for Klefbom instead, if they see him the way LT does, but I doubt that, too. Why move Subban for lesser pieces and prospects who are unlikely to turn into a Subban-good player, even if the pieces have value. Doesn’t make sense.

And I doubt the Oilers can take Gomez’s cap hit, and even Katz might balk at burying that deal in the minors.

I don’t see a deal like that happening.

I think the best the Oilers could do at D is get Yandle out of Phoenix. We have prospects who can play and that is valuable to a team on a budget like PHO. It’s still unlikely, but more likely than Subban, IMO.

Brownlee made a good argument that when you look at what was actually said, it seems clear that Stauffer meant Luongo, which also makes a lot of sense of what we have to sell to Vancouver and what they would want. (I mean, Toronto has fewer players that they would be willing to sell that Vancouver would want for Luongo. IMO.)

Vancouver has D, and G set. They have some absolutely dominant star forwards, but the one thing they could use (as all teams can) is a pipeline of young talented forwards (especially wings) on cheap RFA deals to make sure they don’t have cap problems in the future, especially if they want a big ticket UFA here or there going forward.

I predict they’d want MPS (DSF would die if MPS went to Van, just die), Pitlick, Hartikainen, Gagner. They’d also want picks. And I’m sure they have no aversion to D prospects either, but they might value D prospects less than the F prospects.

I’m not sure Hemsky is a big sell for VAN. They already have a dominant PP forward to run the PP, Hemsky. Hemsky’s injuries and cap hit are a risk for a team if he gets hurt in the playoffs. Maybe that happens.

I dunno.

31. DSF says:

Of course, there is word that the Habs and Subban have been unable to agree to a contract extension.

The latest offer, turned down by Subban was a three year deal @ $4M.

Subban wants a 5 year deal.

32. engineer says:

Yak with the empty netter!

33. mxke says:

Niheel with the empty netter for his second of the night and 10th of the season!

engineer:
    Yak with the empty netter!

Damn you! :-D More importantly, damn WordPress for not letting me log in on my work laptop!

34. Giant Squid Overlord says:

3 pt night for the Yak! According to the official scoresheet: 2g, 1a.

Over 18 minutes played, and total went up each period. Different than most recent games where he topped out at 15 and played less as the game went on.

35. delooper says:

If any of you will be near Victoria on Nov 15th, I’ve got extra tickets to the Russia-Canada Super Series. 5th row from the ice, section 111.

36. ashley says:

And Subban for the first overall pick leading up to the draft was a nonstarter as far as MTL was concerned. Now they want a do-over. Obviously Yak’s value has skyrocketed. But all this makes me wonder what is the deal with Subban? Who is he pissing off in MTL?

God help us if we had picked Murray as was widely rumoured right up until hours before the draft.

37. Giant Squid Overlord says:

Did a little excel’n to look at KHL leaders for goals (top 50), and calculated goals per game (NHLers/ExNHLers shown):

Yakupov Nail 0.769
    Tarasenko Vladimir 0.75
    Kovalchuk Ilya 0.6
    Mirnov Igor 0.55
    Bulis Jan 0.5
    Radulov Alexander 0.476
    Lisin Enver 0.476
    Kostitsyn Andrei 0.470
    Stapleton Tim 0.454
    Kuznetsov Evgeny 0.45 (1st round pick 2010)
    Korolyuk Alexander 0.45
    Radulov Igor 0.35
    Christensen Erik 0.35
    Giroux Alexandre 0.318
    Robitaille Randy 0.304

Nail leading the league!

38. delooper says:

I wished the Oilers kept Satan. Or if they were going to trade him, they should’ve traded him to Jersey.

39. BoysontheBus says:

So Yak now has 1 more goal than Kovalchuk (in 2 fewer games played), 3 more goals than Malkin (in 4 fewer games played), and 4 more goals than Ovechkin (in 1 less game played).

I suggest his RE for this season be adjusted to 65-35-100!

40. delooper says:

Small sample size. There’s no way he’s better than Malkin at this stage of his development (if ever). But he’s certainly impressing. The Oilers didn’t go wrong by picking the consensus #1 available player. Whew!

41. delooper says:

Subban’s CTV Montreal weather was pretty good. As a player he seems to not know time limits very well — maybe Montreal thinks he stays on the ice too long?

42. raventalon40 says:

Maybe the Oilers will be able to trade Omark to the Red Wings after all

43. Marc says:

Even without Stauffer’s comments I would have expected a big trade or two at the end of the lockout. The single most successful trade any member of the Oilers management has been involved with was the Pronger for Brewer + deal, which was right after the last lockout ended. Given the price that guys like Methot were going for a few months ago, it’s not at all surprising that they decided to keep their powder dry and see what became available after the lockout.

In terms of who they might go for, this management team care a lot about chemistry. I suspect that they’ll only want guys they feel confident will fit in with the young core. And who in partcular will they know well enough to make that judgment? Guys who have played for Canada in the last couple of years.

So we’re looking at guys who played for Canada in the last four or five years, who earn big money (possibly including NMCs) that their team might want to drop in light of the new CBA and who would fill an organisational need. Some of the guys that I came up with:
    Luongo
    Getzlaf
    Marleau
    Bouwmeester

44. dessert1111 says:

To anyone who’s interested, OKC recalled Abney (after only one game? Guess they wanted him to fight ppl hitting Schultz and Eberle) and Zahn and sent Pelss down to Stockton. Too bad for Pelss but I guess someone had to go and hopefully he gets prime minutes down there. Surprised that they didn’t send a D down and perhaps another forward.

45. Dalton says:

Ducey: Seems strange that trade rumours are coming out when teams are not allowed to talk about trades.

Be that as it may, Bob Stauffer, who is an Oilers employee, verily is tweeting about trade rumours involving the Oil, so I guess it doesn’t matter.

46. uni says:

Lordie Yakupov is just doing way better than advertised.

Also Tarasenko is doing everything to prove that he was as good (offensively at least) as Hall and Seguin in his draft year. All those teams that passed on him when he should have gone top 3 must be secretly hoping he becomes an NHL bust. I had Tarasenko as the Calder favourite before the lockout, but now it seems Schultz and Yakupov may give him a decent run for his money.

47. Dalton says:

danny: His type A personality may be an issue with the young bucks too, if I may be paranoid for a sec.

It takes all kinds to form a team. One thing that really makes me cringe on this blog is when people speculate about personality mixes. Unless we’re talking about somebody with the reputation of Shane Corson or Sean Avery, I think we’re better off focusing on other things. It’s douchey in the same way that body language speculation is douchey, imho.

48. commonfan14 says:

Anyone know the formula for converting Yak’s KHL scoring pace to an estimated NHL equivilancy?

49. danny says:

Dalton: on this blog is when people speculate a

Point taken. I really know very little about personality mixes, so its pure speculation on my part. I know even less about the players behind closed doors… paranoia…

A brilliant friend of mine changed his focus from finishing a doctorate in robotic engineering, to building a startup software business. He’s constantly studying theory on team dynamics and personalities etc. Says it’s a bigger challenge than his engineering doctorate was… really interesting stuff. After the ridiculous success his company has had, he now guest speaks all over the world these days. I should know better than to be an armchair psychologist =)

Hal Gill called Subban an asshole though. Plekanic fought him in practice. There’s warning signs for sure.

50. stevezie says:

danny,

Remember when Dennis Rodman was more trouble than he was worth until Michael Jordan tuned him in? I’m not saying Hall is Jordan, or the Subban is Rodman, but Taylor Hall does not seem like the kind of guy who would allow his team t fall apart because one guy won’t fall in line. He is young, elite, and charitmatic. I think, and this is more armchair stuff, but I think he would be exactly the foot needed to kick Subban’s ass to turn him into an elite d-man.

Of course, this is assuming he evenis a problem. Who knows?

51. Boondock says:

Looking through capgeek with Bob’s “WOW” comments re: acquiring a big-name player with a NMC who will be a cap casualty in a couple years I really only see three possibilities that really fit with his comments: Luongo, Lecavalier, Campbell.

Anyone else trust Tambellini to come out ahead in a deal for any of those guys and to have properly considered the long-term cap considerations of acquiring those contracts under a new CBA?

52. Truth says:

Oil Kings acquire David Musil from the Giants. I believe I recall LT mentioning this would be coming. Great move, but it must mean bad things about Gernat.

53. RexLibris says:

Just a thought here, but has anyone noticed that Yakupov seems to be keeping out of the penalty box as well. 6 minutes in 12 games. 51 SOG, jeez! and a -3. Put him with on a line with Hemsky and the crowd will never have to shout ‘SHOOOOOT” again.

Also, no thanks to Subban. Not that I have any say in the matter. I’d rather keep Paajarvi and Marincin. How about Belanger for a 2nd round pick in 2013 if Montreal is interested?

54. RexLibris says:

Truth,

Gernat is supposed to return to the Kings in about 10 days, they said. I suspect he’ll be playing around January or February. Geertsen and a 1st in 2013? Nice trade. I was worried they were going to move Kulda or Mayo. Geertsen is a good exchange and swaps relatively comparable players in terms of styles, in my opinion. Musil is obviously an improvement. I’m going to have to go look into tickets for the next game now.

Can’t wait to see Musil, Kulda, Moroz, and Lazar.

55. Truth says:

RexLibris,

RE Gernat: Good news, I did not know that.

Edit: I should clarify that is good news considering what I was thinking. Not great news by any stretch.

56. Marc says:

Boondock,

The more I think about, the more it seems like Marleau might be the guy. San Jose is at the old CBA cap, has half of its top ten players on the wrong side of 30 and has the worst prospect pool in the entire league. Marleau has 2 years left at $6.9M per. He was their thrid best scorer last season, but his scoring has declined in each of the last two seasons.

Wouldn’t San Jose look hard at Gagner plus a prospect or two for Marleau? And the Oilers would get a size, experience and scoring upgrade at center, with the deal expiring just when RNH will be due for a big raise.

57. Dipstick says:

One small negative arrow with Yak is that pesky +/-. Only 3 of his 10 goals are on the PP, so I think that he must have been on the ice for a lot of goals against. There seems to be a lot of action (both ways) when he is on the ice. Perhaps Jon Willis will do some in depth number crunching on this someday soon.

58. Boondock says:

Marc:
    Boondock,

The more I think about, the more it seems like Marleau might be the guy.San Jose is at the old CBA cap, has half of its top ten players on the wrong side of 30 and has the worst prospect pool in the entire league.Marleau has 2 years left at $6.9M per. He was their thrid best scorer last season, but his scoring has declined in each of the last two seasons.

Wouldn’t San Jose look hard at Gagner plus a prospect or two for Marleau?And the Oilers would get a size, experience and scoring upgrade at center, with the deal expiring just when RNH will be due for a big raise.

Perhaps, but Bob has mentioned multiple times to think about players who would become a cap casualty in a couple years and Marleau only has two years left on his current deal.

59. stevezie says:

RexLibris,

This week I heard Bob Greene tell Bob Stauffer (I think) that he doesn’t expect Gernat back until January. As always, there’s a good chance I’m wrong, somehow.

I am surprised to see you turning down Subban. Some of your fellow stats masters (Zona in particular) are heralding him as one of if not the most underrated D-man in the league. Do you believe he’s that mnuch of a cancer or do you just love PRV and Marincin that much?

60. Marc says:

Boondock,

I took cap casualty to mean a productive player who won’t be resigned when their current deal expires because their team will need to use its cap space on other (younger) players. DOesn’t Marleau fit the bill?