OKC BARONS READY TO ROLL!

Todd Nelson and his OKC Barons begin their pre-season tomorrow and the first cuts have been announced.

Goaltender Ian Keserich and forward Gary Steffes were released, but they are expected to play for Tulsa of the Central Hockey League.

CURRENT DEPTH CHART

16. Tanner House
  17. Kristians Pelss
  18. Cameron Abney
  19. Eric Hunter
  20. Justin Maylan
  21. Gary Steffes

11 Responses to "OKC BARONS READY TO ROLL!"

1. loosemoose says:

LT

I have to know…..will Plante make it.

Anywhere???

I really like how he’s progressed. He should get a shot shouldn’t he? First dman callup? I mean, the orginization really needs to find out if he’s going to be a part of the picture, no? Starting to get crowded.

And when it’s all said and done, who’s on the first pairing?

Petry-Smid

or

J Schultz-Klefbom????

2. BlacqueJacque says:

I’d rather talk about Arsenal’s continuing decline or whether Man C will repeat or … anything but this.

If the Bettman wants me to talk about hockey, he’ll make it happen. Until then…

Loose: I think Plante did himself a helluva favor this past season. Solid, solid year. Concussions are a worry and footspeed is still a problem, but he’s put himself in a good position.

4. speeds says:

LT:

For Plante, is it as simple as he’s an NHLer the day he improves his skating?

That said, that day may never come, I’m sure Plante’s been working on that for a while.

speeds: Yeah, probably. He had a helluva season in the AHL, so the next step involves covering faster and more skilled men in the NHL. He still has a chance, a better one imo than he had a year ago.

6. speeds says:

loosemoose:

And when it’s all said and done, who’s on the first pairing?

Petry-Smid

or

J Schultz-Klefbom????

Would be interesting to hear the Oilers thoughts, projecting the D 2 years out. I would imagine they’d expect Smid, Petry, and J.Schultz to be 3 of their top 4, Klefbom in the bottom pair or better?

What about Whitney? Peckham? N.Schultz?

7. Reg Dunlop says:

loosemoose,

If the oil’s top D pair at the resumption of play are derKlefbom and Schultz then we are looking at a veeery looong lockout. A bold prediction… Petry will win the Norris inside of 5 years.

8. jp says:

loosemoose,

Hard to say if Plante will “make it” or not. Pretty sure he’ll get quite a few more chances in the NHL so long as he stays healthy though. Whether he can stick or not depends on whether he can adjust to the NHL speed, which he hasn’t been able to in his brief callups so far. Another half or 1/3 of a step of quickness, or absolutely airtight positioning would make the difference, but like you say he’s no doubt been working on this all along. 100% agree with LT that he had a great season in OKC and is in better position than he was a year ago. That said, he still looked pretty out of place in the few NHL games he played – may be more ABs would give him time to adjust… Hard call, but I think I’d bet on him getting to 200 NHL games (my guess is not too many more with the Oilers though). Wouldn’t bet on him getting to 400 games though.

In terms of who’ll end up being first pairing in the long run, I’ll just say that if JSchultz and Kelfbom end up being the first pair over Petry/Smid at some point, that will be very good sign for the Oilers (of course assuming that Petry/Schultz are not traded, injured, or let walk for nothing).

speeds,

Knowing the Oil management, I suspect that Whitney is still #1 on the depth chart…

Reg Dunlop,

Petry is great, but don’t see any post-season awards in his future. Possibly an All-star game or two, but I’d be pretty surprised if we see any more than that.

9. Bar_Qu says:

Reg Dunlop,

Willis did a good piece showing that Petry has never put up big points at any level he’s played at. And since Norris voters forget good defence is what the trophy is all about, they tend to fixate on the boxcars instead.

Petry is a wonderful, great D man, I’m glad he’s an Oiler, but I don’t know that he’s that calibre of D.

10. loosemoose says:

Reg Dunlop,

Petry with a Norris? Interesting.

I would love to see some Norris caliber play out of somebody on a regular basis, that’s for sure……

And I don’t think Klefbom-JSchultz will be the first pair after the lockout.

I think they will be eventually, just not that quick:)

11. russ99 says:

BlacqueJacque:
    If the Bettman wants me to talk about hockey, he’ll make it happen.Until then…

Isn’t it enough that I have to listen to all the Spurs talk around here? :)

Arsenal is hardly in decline. Just moved from a one-man offense to more of a team-based approach. Plus at some time part of that massive profit will be spent.

As per the cuts, kinda would be cool to hear a broacaster yell out “IIIIIIIIIIIIANNNNN!!!!” after a big save.