OKC V HOUSTON 26.10.12

Houston is the team of future Hall of Famers DSF has been telling us about all season. Hyperbole aside, there are some outstanding young talents on the Houston side–Granlund, Scandella, Jonas Brodin and Charlie Coyle are headliners–and they’re off to a nice start.

The two teams are basically tied in the standings and look evenly matched based on early season performance.

The Barons leading scorers are the group we’d expect, with the obvious exception being a defenseman–and a rookie–in a tie for the league lead in points:

1. Justin Schultz 5, 4-4-8
  2. Teemu Hartikainen 5, 2-4-6
  3. Jordan Eberle 5, 2-3-5
  4. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 5, 2-3-5
  5. Martin Marincin 5, 2-1-3
  6. Magnus Paajarvi 5, 1-2-3
  7. Ryan Martindale 4, 0-3-3
  8. Josh Green 3, 1-1-2
  9. Mark Arcobello 4, 1-1-2
  10. Tyler Pitlick 5, 0-2-2
  11. Curtis Hamilton 4, 0-1-1
  12. Kristians Pelss 2, 0-1-1
  13. Chris VandeVelde 4, 0-1-1
  14. Taylor Fedun 5, 0-1-1

All others remained scoreless. Schultz and Hartikainen are the pleasant surprises, and I don’t think any of the prospects on the list above are struggling to the point of worry.

Anton Lander is another matter.

Houston always reminds me of Les Alexander. Can’t help it.

74 Responses to "OKC V HOUSTON 26.10.12"

1. "Steve Smith" says:

Switzerland always reminds me of Lester Mittendorf.

2. jonrmcleod says:

I thought Schultz had 9 points?

3. regwald says:

The AHL site currently has him listed with 4 goals, 4 assists. Obviously a scoring change somewhere along the line.

Or excited Oiler fans have counting problems … LOL

4. Dipstick says:

jonrmcleod:
    I thought Schultz had 9 points?

I think that they switched an assist from him to Ebs after last game.

5. jonrmcleod says:

Schultz had 9 points on the Barons’ site and the AHL’s site the day after the game. Must have been a late decision to take away an assist or the websites weren’t promptly updated.

6. Matt.N says:

Posted this in the last thread.

Gilbert Brule released by his Swiss league team. No goals in 14 games. I really liked this guy as a prospect. Sad to see his career going off the rails. He will most likely never see the NHL again.

7. DSF says:

And Zack Phillips, Jason Zucker, Nick Palmieri, and Johan Larsson.

Yikes.

8. Matt.N says:

Anton Lander

LEAGUE GP PTS PPG
    AHL 32 9 0.28
    ELITSERIAN 199 55 0.28
    NHL 56 6 0.11

TOTAL 287 70 0.24

This young man has zero history of being able to score in the best leagues. I think we need to lower our expectations. If he can turn into Jarret Stoll (3rd or 4th line defensive center that brings very little to EV scoring and kills penalties) we should be happy. I think he is being groomed for the role but isn’t there yet. We can’t expect any level of scoring from him.

9. dessert1111 says:

I’d like a bit more offense from a 3C. It’s not just the point, but Lander seems to lack any offensive instincts in virtually every game I’ve ever seen him play, and it’s not like he’s been playing spectacular in any measurable way. He doesn’t seem to be forcing the issue at the AHL level either, and based on his play compared to the other centres in OKC, I think he should have a frequent rotation to the press box. I’d rather see Pelss play tonight than Lander, which is unfortunate. I really hope he can start doing SOMETHING so I wouldn’t worry about his future as even a defensive specialist.

10. Jesse says:

There has been a lot of talk about Lander’s intangibles, either about his his work ethic, his ability to grind down low, and even his ability to possibly be an agitator and a leader too. I haven’t seen any of this myself, but apparently many other people have. Again, if he can’t put up offense at the AHL level, not much of that stuff really matters to the big club.

11. cabbiesmacker says:

Lander probably listens to too much Neil Young and not enough John Prine and JJ Cael.

Neil and Shawn Horcoff……they’ll head a fella off track real quick.

12. dessert1111 says:

Ebs apparently left the morning skate early and is a game-time decision. I don’t see any details of what happened though…:(

13. delooper says:

Struck-down by delicious pancakes.

14. DenverOilFan says:

Long time reader, first time poster here down in Denver. I do mean to threadjack (only slightly), but please don’t think any less of me! ;-) I don’t know where else to post this, so I thought I would take this as my first opportunity to meet all of you and join the discussions. Grew up in Spruce Grove, moved here for work in the late 90s and been in Denver ever since. Been following the Oil practically day-in and day-out, in-season and off-season, and Lowetide has provided me an excellent source of news, commentary and humor for the last number of years. It’s my favorite site in all the Oilogosphere by far. No amount of NHL Center Ice packages and Game Center Live subscriptions over the past 10 years can top what you guys do here. Thank you for that!

Yes, it is incredibly frustrating that there is still a lockout. However, no one here really seems to care much. I guess when you have the Donkeys, Nuggets and Rockies, you can get away with it. It’s nice to see the kids hanging in there in OKC, and though today is the first time I’m reading about his early success, very excited about Schultz-the-younger.

With that said, I’ve had to supplement my sports viewing with some English Premier League. I’m an active member and on the executive committee of the largest EPL supporters group here in d-town, the Rocky Mountain Blues cheering on Chelsea on early weekend mornings (hold the applause — or jeers). And so I find myself asking: did any of you know that Gene Principe is now one of the presenters on Fox Soccer Channel down here? The other day, I’ve got the TV on in the other room, and I hear this familiar voice, and I’m thinking what the? I walk over, and there’s Geno talking up his insights!! What a geek! I knew he loved soccer, but to find that on the tube was just hilarious and cool. You can tell he wants to tell a joke or do his best Ron McLean wordplay impersonation, but they probably have him on a short leash to start. If you google Gene Principe Fox Soccer, I haven’t seen any results yet. Strange.

Looking forward to joining more of the discussions and giving some of my contributions from down here. I know I’ll never top Woodguy, Traktor, DSF, Spoiler, “Steve Smith”, et al, but it will be fun nonetheless.

Cheers!

15. EricRodgers_AHLBarons says:

dessert1111,

I didn’t see how it happened, and I asked Gazzola after and he didn’t either. Eberle skated off wincing, and headed to the locker room with the trainer. Outside of that, I don’t know much more

Thanks, Eric!

17. mps91 says:

Does anyone have a link for the game? Ive searched the usual spots but have so far come up empty.

18. dessert1111 says:

EricRodgers_AHLBarons:
    dessert1111,

Thank you kindly for the update. Also, I regularly read your Barons page at the 1340 site–good stuff! My only complaint is I wish there was more :)

19. dessert1111 says:

mps91:

I find one normally pops up at http://atdhe.eu/ closer to game time, either under hockey or under the Other section. Most of the games the feed has started a couple minutes late, but I think it’s had every game so far this year. First row also has them sometimes.

20. Captain Obvious says:

Matt.N,

If you can’t score, you can’t play because no one is so good defensively that they can limit the other team from scoring all the time. Lander’s lack of offense in the AHL is a huge concern. It prevents him from being a winning hockey player.

Meanwhile Omark is third in scoring in the Swiss league, outscoring on a per game Seguin, Thornton, Nash, Couture, everyone.

21. Marc says:

Some really good stuff from Matty here: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/10/24/observations-from-a-week-in-okcity/

NHL scouts watching OKC are raving about Hartikainen (Matty has him being pegged for a top six role) and Pitlick (Matty figures he’ll be no worse than third line on Oilers next season).

And most likely following on from those observations, scouts are wondering where exactly MPS fits in this team long term, and whether he might be trade bait.

22. Kris11 says:

Re Lander: Lander is struggling, IMO. Worrisome, but we must accept that few players turn out what you hope them to be at the NHL level.

Re MPS: Don’t forget the variability of SH% when discussing MPS. He is third on the team in shots behind big time players Eberle and Schultz, despite not being the man powerplay option.

You may believe that MPS is a career 5% shooter based on “saw him bad”, but past experience suggests that this is not likely. I’d say he’s more likely to shoot between 9-12 any given year.

23. Kris11 says:

Oddly, I see MPS as having a Grier or Marchant-like career. Great Pk’ing. Loads of speed, but maybe not the overall skating. Blah offense, but hits 15 to 20 goals here or there. That’s a player you need to succeed.

The offense still might come, too. He’s young.

But, we do need to recognize he might bust. Unlikely, but it could happen.

24. OilLeak says:

Kris11:

The offense still might come, too. He’s young.

But, we do need to recognize he might bust. Unlikely, but it could happen.

I don’t think Paajarvi will be a bust, he’s too skilled and too fast to be a bust. He may never put up big offensive numbers, but he already drives the play and is very sound defensively. The Oilers need those type players to succeed.

Lander on the other hand is becoming worrisome, was way over his head in the NHL last season and doesn’t seem to be showing much at the AHL level yet either. It’s still early, but he needs bring his game up to another level or he’s going to be lost along the way.

Play Paajarvi on RW with Horcoff and Smyth, and the Paajarvi “problem” is solved.

26. DSF says:

Kris11:

Paajarvi’s shooting percentage:

Last season SEL – 5.5%

NHL – 2010/11 – 8.8%

NHL – 2011/12 – 2.5%

AHL – 2011/12 – 7.0%

AHL – 2012/13 – 5.6%

I think we have a pretty good idea that this player won’t be scoring much.

Question is, can he rebuild his game to be an effective third line winger?

27. jake70 says:

FYI, Barons-Heat game on Nov.10 will be on Sportsnet One, as per Barons site….mark your calanders.

28. dessert1111 says:

stream still not up :( anyone have suggestions?

29. DSF says:

Charlie Coyle from Johan Larsson and Brett Connolly.

1-0 Aeros.

30. Derek says:

Riveting hula hoop competition.

31. dessert1111 says:

uhhh found a stream, and it was just those mascots with hoola hoops and terrible audio and it sounds like pajaarvi scored?

Paajarvi! Come on, you!

Good lord, Schultz with apples on both goals by Paajarvi and House.

34. voxwah says:

Shultz with 2 points already…lol

35. Derek says:

Barons chase Matt Hackett after scoring three goals on 5 shots.

Arcobello (Paajarvi, Marincin)

37. Ozzieoiler says:

MPS with an assist on Arcobello’s goal.

Shultz on the ice +2 now.

38. Suntory Hanzo says:

Attendance in OKC makes Heat games here in Abbotsford look like F’n Woodstock.

And the Heat have a crap team from Calgary trading all those draft picks to lose in the first round year after year.

39. Derek says:

Nice play by Marincin there on the PK. Quite the wingspan on that boy.

40. delooper says:

Schultz only has two points in the first period. What’s wrong? Why isn’t he getting goals?

Drew Czerwonka just retired from hockey. Well that happened.

42. Derek says:

Terry Jones ‏@sunterryjones

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins going to the dressing room. Looks like he got a stick in the face.

Barons continue to lead the league in goals waved off.

43. jp says:

Drew Czerwonka just retired from hockey. Well that happened.

Wow, guess the Oil made the right choice by signing Pelss… Might have had some clue about this before hand I’d guess.

McCarron with an assist for Cornell tonight in what I believe is their first league game.

45. OilLeak says:

Hmmn Granlund.

46. voxwah says:

LT, I think Teemu heard you calling him out after the first game of the year. He looks like the player we we’re all hoping he could become now. Well at least on track for it anyways.

To start the season:

Teemu Nuge Ebs
    Hall Gagner N64
    Smyth Horc Hemmer

Looks pretty good.

Nuge is apparently hurt. Good grief.

48. stevezie says:

Paajarvi! Come on, you!

We’re not at the point where we need to take out a knife and stab him in the haunches yet, are we?

Arcobello (Hartikainen, Fedun)

50. dessert1111 says:

Do you have any more info on the Czerwonka thing LT? Or anyone see what happened to RNH, just a high stick?

51. OilLeak says:

Arcobello (Hartikainen, Fedun)

Arcobello is the man

52. dessert1111 says:

Arcobello has two goals. Any chance someone starts paying attention to him?

53. Kris11 says:

Czerwonka retired to work in his chocolate factory.

I am so humorous.

54. Derek says:

A lot of large mammals in OKC.

55. OilLeak says:

What the hell was Danis doing on that one?

56. DenverOilFan says:

Bit of an ooops from Fedun there as well — for not dumping it in earlier….

57. Rebilled says:

Fury of Tuebert!

58. voxwah says:

Wow Teubert beat the crap out of that guy

59. OilLeak says:

Teubert laying the smack down

60. DenverOilFan says:

voxwah:
    Wow Teubert beat the crap out of that guy

That right-hander should make plays of the week.

61. OilLeak says:

DenverOilFan:
    Bit of an ooops from Fedun there as well — for not dumping it in earlier….

Fedun has made a few miscues like that, makes the soft pass at times.

62. delooper says:

Did anyone have a feed where they could see how that developed? Looks like Teubert got agitated over people bumping Schultz when he was down on the ice in that scrum along the end-boards. But maybe I’m projecting…

63. OilLeak says:

What has the attendance been like at the OKC games? Those stands look pretty empty, too bad.

Edit: Got my answer 2975 announced attendance, pretty terrible.

64. OilLeak says:

The defense has been awful tonight and so has Danis, ugly, ugly, game tonight.

They need to add a veteran defenseman. Oilers are just weird about defensemen.

66. OilLeak says:

They need to add a veteran defenseman. Oilers are just weird about defensemen.

Trade for Cam Barker?

67. Rebilled says:

OilLeak:
    What has the attendance been like at the OKC games?Those stands look pretty empty, too bad.

Edit: Got my answer 2975 announced attendance, pretty terrible.

What do you expect in the southern states Bettman?¡ OKC has 5th lowest attendance in the league. Toronto is only averaging 6,000.

68. dessert1111 says:

Not the ending I was hoping for. A lot of bad and not enough effort/fight.

69. DSF says:

Shots 39-20.

But for a bad start by Hackett…this would have been ugly.

70. DSF says:

Lipon with a three point night.

History in the making.

71. Marc says:

In defence of the OKC fans, Oklahoma are playing Notre Dame today in what is probably the Sooners’ biggest game of the season. I don’t think it’s surprising if hockey gets forgotten in the excitement.

If the Oilers were involved in a must win game with a playoff spot on the line, a lacross game in Edmonton the night before probably wouldn’t be much of a draw either.