PULOCK

I’m thinking the 2012 entry draft is going to be the final major one in the Oilers build–kind of the 1983 edition that brought in finishing touches for the glory days. It was the Beukeboom-Tikkanen draft, and Dale Derkatch who never made it but was a helluva junior scorer.

RYAN PULOCK SCOUTING REPORT

• the scouting report:After a very impressive showing as a 16-year-old rookie, Pulock followed up his freshman success with a 19-goal, 60-point sophomore season. Pulock is a reliable defender who is good in all 3 zones and a positionally sound player who seems to be continually refining his defensive tendencies to adjust to the game. His skills with the puck are solid and his NHL caliber slap shot is obviously a huge asset for him on the powerplay. While Pulock is not overly physical, he anticipates the play well and uses his body to separate the man from the puck at the right opportunities. As a solid defender with the offensive skills he possesses, Pulock has the type of top pairing potential NHL teams are looking for.

Pulock is 14, 7-11-18 and turning heads this fall in Brandon. He’s hovering around the top 10 right now but at 6.01, 211 I think he’ll be able to improve that number by season’s end. The Oilers will be drafting high again this summer, would Pulock be a worth addition? Or are you set on Lazar?

26 Responses to "PULOCK"

1. Dipstick says:

If the season is lost and the same format is used for draft selection as last time, the odds of getting a good pick are very poor. Another reason to hope for a swift resolution. The team probably needs another C more than a D.

2. jonrmcleod says:

As a Halifax Mooseheads season ticket holder, I’m partial to Jonathan Drouin.

3. BoysontheBus says:

I honestly think they’re looking more at C than D (I can’t count how many times Stu has said “we could use another center” in an interview over the last two years).

Personally, I have a pre-disposition to Barkov. I know he’s charging up the rankings, but the Oilers need more Fins.

4. DSF says:

The Oilers should move heaven and earth to sign JC Lipon….a nasty scorer with the Kamloops Blazers.

He IS the next Lucic.

Then they should draft the best D available.

If the Hall at C experiment works…the rebuild is over.

5. Dipstick says:

DSF:

He IS the next Lucic.

Then they should draft the best D available.

If the Hall at C experiment works…the rebuild is over.

Lay off the drugs buddy. You’re sounding optimistic.

6. Melman says:

I hate to be boring, but shouldn’t it be BPA? Given the choice of 2 equals and looking at the depth roster though I’d plug for another C over D with a high first pick and then cover the D later in the draft. Tomes have been blogged about trying to predict a D prospect outside the lottery vs. smart drafting of a D in the 2nd or 3rd.

7. Boondock says:

DSF:

He IS the next Lucic.

The next Lucic is 6′-0″ and 181 pounds?

8. Melman says:

Boondock,

~ No, he’s wearing #29 for the Oil Kings ~

9. frenchfrog says:

Boondock: The next Lucic is 6′-0″ and 181 pounds?

4 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter. Basically the same thing.

10. jp says:

DSF:

He IS the next Lucic.

Then they should draft the best D available.

If the Hall at C experiment works…the rebuild is over.

Lipon’s last fight was against Ewanyk (http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/112332). Ewanyk layed him out with a great hit, then dominated him in the ensuing fight (note that he is noticably smaller than Ewanyk). The clip certainly shows some of the reasons why the Oil drafted Ewanyk though…

Would love to see the Oilers take a shot at Lipon sometime during the the next draft, but the comparisons to Lucic are a bit premature.

11. DSF says:

Boondock: The next Lucic is 6′-0″ and 181 pounds?

The kid is tough as nails.

Brad Marchand is 5’9″ and a buck eighty.

Difference is Liopn is also a scorer.

He’s no JFJ but he’ll do in a pinch.

If you look at the delopment curves of Lipon and Lucic ,you will find illumination, young Luke.

12. DSF says:

jp: Lipon is a player of interst for sure. Looks to have some skill, lots of drive, and likes to mix it up. The Oil could definitely use some more of his player type, but Lucic he is not. The guy is a bit undersized as mentioned, and is also pretty average fighter from what I saw on hockeyfights.com. Moroz still looks like a better Lucic comp to me (and I don’t think he’s Lucic either).

Moroz is a chump.

13. DSF says:

Lipon has already passed throughout the draft twice.

He’s available for free…Colorado had invited him to TC on a tryout.

Lipon and Landeskog on the same line would be scary.

14. DSF says:

Melman:
    Boondock,

~ No, he’s wearing #29 for the Oil Kings ~

Lol

15. Rebilled says:

With this pick, I ch-ch-ch-choose my son at LW.

16. jp says:

To LT’s original question, Pulock would be a worthy addition at the right spot. I still think BPA is the best way to go, but if all else is equal, I would think C>D>LW/RW at this point. Without a winger making the move to C, the Oilers are VERY thin on Cs under age 34. Once the old guys are gone, Lander is # 3 on the depth chart. He’s been a very mediocre 3C in the AHL, so counting on him to become a solid 3C on a (hopefully) good Oilers team in a few years likely isn’t the smartest bet…

17. Matt.N says:

Gilbert Brule released by his Swiss league team. No goals in 14 games. I really liked this guy as a prospect. Sad to see his career going off the rails. He will most likely never see the NHL again.

18. jp says:

DSF: The kid is tough as nails.

Brad Marchand is5’9″ and a buck eighty.

Difference is Liopn is also a scorer.

He’s no JFJ but he’ll do in a pinch.

No one is questioning his toughness, but at 6′ 181, he’s no Lucic. If you’d compared him to Marchand in the first place you might have gotten some agreement.

Lipon is also a scorer – so you mean he’s better than Marchand? (76-28-27-55) Wow!

Agreed he’s no JFJ. Far smaller, but might well be a better hockey player.

Development curves…. A guy jumps from ~20 pts in his draft year to ~65 points in draft +1 and he’s a surefire 30 goal scoring 6’4″ NHL power forward? Someone had better illuminate the scouts on this one!

DSF: Moroz is a chump.

Not trying to argue otherwise. To be fair to Moroz though, he appears to be on much the same “development curve” as Lipon and Lucic, and has more comparable size to Lucic.

DSF: Lipon has already passed throughout the draft twice.

He’s available for free…Colorado had invited him to TC ona tryout.

Lipon and Landeskog on the same line would be scary.

Passing through the draft twice is not an endorsement. Colorado could have signed him had he played well at TC, but with the lockout I don’t think he’s eligible to be signed by an NHL team at this point. I believe he’ll re-enter the draft, and no doubt be picked by someone assuming he keeps scoring like he is. Not 100% certain about this, but don’t think he can be signed mid-season. He sure would look good in place of McCarron from last years draft, wouldn’t he. Guess 29 other teams could say the same though…

19. PaperDesigner says:

Well, if the 2012 draft is the 1983 draft, doesn’t that mean that whoever we pick in 2013 is going to become Selmar Odelain? I think the question is a small matter of which budding young hockey player we want to doom to a career of relative obscurity.

I read Bob Stauffer these days as the closest thing we have to the Oilers internal groupthought. His constant desire to draft Lazar to promptly replace Gagner leaves me nervous. Constantly blaming your good players for not being “good enough to play on a championship team” or similar nonsense, instead of blaming yourself for not having MORE good players, is one of the primary ways that a bad team stays bad continually. Another way is getting obsessed with a certain issue at the expense of the quality of the team as a whole. Remember how well focusing on “team toughness” worked out for them?

20. russ99 says:

Gotta go BPA no matter where we end up in the first round.

With Schultz’s emergence and Marincin’s good start to his first AHL campaign, I’d say need is less defense and more center and goalie, and who wants to wait 2-3 years until someone develops?

We also have 2 second rounders this year, and I’d really like to see the Oilers not move up, but use those players on talented kids rather than trying to project one aspect like size.

Biggest question is if there’s no season, where do we pick? I’d assume they’d have another weighted whole league draft lottery like after the last lockout.

21. Ivan says:

I demand to know how I have lived the last 50-odd years without hearing John Prine. I am forecasting several hours of compromised productivity at work today whilst youtubeing the crap out of his repertoire. That is a talented dude.
    Also. NHL, could we please have hockey?
    Oh, and Justin Schultz on HD?

Ivan, John Prine has some wonderful stuff. His first album–John Prine–contains a beautiful song called “Angel From Montgomery” and its probably the best thing he ever wrote. But there are many, many great songs.

23. tubes says:

Ivan:
    Also. NHL, could we please have hockey?
    Oh, and Justin Schultz on HD?

^^ What he said.

Minus 20ish years for me, but damn this John Prine can write a song. Seems like it’d be an easy cover too. Going to do some youtubing of his stuff for sure.

Slightly OT: for you older gents, although you may not like all or any of their stuff and it doesn’t necessary follow the singer/songwriter genre usually posted here, Pinback is my favourite obscure band of my generation and Ryan Adams for singer/songwriter.

24. cabbiesmacker says:

Matt.N:

Gilbert Brule released by his Swiss league team.

During his outgoing interview Gilbert was quoted as saying..”I stiiiiill haven’t found….what I’m looking fooorrr”

25. cabbiesmacker says:

Ivan:
    Also. NHL, could we please have hockey?
    Oh, and Justin Schultz on HD?

Lost Dogs and MIxed Blessings / The Wonder Years are imo two of the finest compilations ever to be recorded. How can you not like a guy that works “Life is a blessin…it’s a delicatessen” into a song

It is entirely possible that your John Prine vision was clouded by all of the talk around here of such “inferior” talents as Neil Young? Pfftttt.

If I’m ever stranded on a desert island and Monica Bellucci isn’t along with to provide a distraction my next choices would be the complete works of John Prine and JJ Cale. I’d probably give Cale the edge but only barely and if only just because with no JJ there’d be a lot less Clapton.

26. OilTastic says:

if it’s the Oilers turn to pick and Lazar and Pulock are both still there, i like to see the Oil take Pulock. this could indeed be the last high pick we get during this rebuild and top d-men tend to go early. this could be the last chance for the Oil to get a potential #1 d-man, whereas they still might be able to get a good center or scorer from mid 1st round on if they feel they still need one.