RUSSIA WINS COLD WAR

Four decades after Paul Henderson scored his historic goal, and a couple of decades after Reagan’s ‘tear down this wall’ the Russians are beginning their takeover one television screen at a time.

With the NHL owners and PA at loggerheads (what a bunch of stubborn mules) there’s word the KHL has reached an agreement with ESPN in the USA and a Canadian TV deal is being negotiated.

Amen. A-freaking-men. Do I have to change my dollars to rubles? Count me in, get on it Shaw.

15 Responses to "RUSSIA WINS COLD WAR"

1. BlacqueJacque says:

I’d bet my car that this is Bettman’s last labour stoppage.

He’s blowing it and being outmaneuvered not just by the players, but by rival leagues. Not to mention that it’s been a PR disaster and fans are not even remotely on the league’s side this time.

2. Truth says:

BlacqueJacque,

This damn well better be Bettman’s last labour stoppage. He better be long retired (and hopefully dead of old age) by the time the NHL has another labour dispute. This is getting ridiculous. Another year and 3/4 and it will be as ridiculous as the Edmonton arena situation. Where’s the gun to the head emoticon?

3. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

It’s like Yakupov playing. Not quite there yet: ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said “the agreement is not finalized.”

Also it’s a a streaming deal not a TV deal. wikipedia: “In the U.S., the network is available to individuals who receive their high-speed Internet connection or cable TV subscription from an affiliated service provider.” No individual subscriptions.

Now a Canadian TV deal with many games a week would be quite something for KHL, AHL, or CHL.

4. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

Fehr would probably give the owners a few extra points in a deal if they’ll retire Bettman so he can tell the players they won.

5. loosemoose says:

I wish Kent Brockman was my anchor man more than if I can see KHL games on TV/internet.

whatever that means……

6. Bruce McCurdy says:

I’ll say Bettman needs to be retired. In his third labour negotiation he has shut down his league for a third time, and if precedent is our guide, it won’t be over anytime soon. He is an utter failure as a negotiator, knowing just the single strong-arm tactic, in the process sytematically discrediting his business time and again. As a saleable product to fans and sponsors, Gary Bettman’s NHL is by far the least reliable of any of the so-called major sports, and it’s by far less reliable than any of the minors as well.

The owners may appreciate some of his business acumen, but due to his inability to navigate labour peace and forge a true partnership with his performers, Bettman has been a disaster for hockey. He needs to go, the sooner the better. 1995 would be better still. The NHL has “gone south” under his leadership, in every sense of the term.

7. meanashell11 says:

So which one of you will be watching the games at 7am? You really think the time zone works? Come on, this is a joke.

So you are going to sit down, I assume you are not going to work today, pop a couple beers and watch the KHL. Right, I bet that is a real money maker for ESPN and whatever useless Canadian network decides to run with this.

What a joke.

8. unca miltie says:

Bruce McCurdy:

I am starting to agree. Was telling a co-worker what the labor discord did to my interest in baseball. I played a high level of ball, my son had a scholarship to college in the us for baseball. When the expos lost their world series due to the strike, that pretty much ended it for me. It is a long time since I watched a game, and I used to watch every game I could. This hockey thing continues, the same thing will happen. In that same conversation, talked about what it was like to go to Oilers games in the early days, Kids could get autographs just from hanging over the glass, to now this mess. This is one fan that is very tired of strikes/ lockouts and arena deals..

Are these games not available on archive? Can I PVR them? From what I can tell the KHL starts at about 7am but games begin later too. I’ll tape games and watch them that night, absolutely.

10. Billy Boisey says:

ESPN3 is both live and on demand, (the games are archived so you can watch at your convenience), free with many cable subscriptions, and feed permitting, pretty high resolution – just as good as NHL Gamecenter.

So yes, starting Wednesday night, I will be having a beer and watching the games. The joke is the current AHL streaming package, at $150 just to get the OKC games.

11. FastOil says:

Whoever writes the cheques calls the shots.

It is a fact of life. The sooner realized by non-cheque writers the better.

Marshall McLuhan (Wikipedia): “was born in Edmonton, Alberta, to Elsie Naomi (née Hall)”

Hall. Too funny. The medium is the message. The NHL isn’t hockey, it’s the NHL. There is no substitute. The players aren’t the message (or the show), they are the content. If the KHL becomes available to us, it still won’t be the same. Or the AHL, WHL, or anything.

The NHL is entertainment, it’s an institution. Other than a VERY few players, peak performance only happens over a few years, and most players have a very short shelf life. They have no real leverage.

The owners understand this. Understanding advantage and opportunity is how they became so wealthy. If it was easy, everyone would do it, right?

Things will go as they want, for the most part. The question is how much damage do they want to do to the farce (I mean a millionaire’s club of short term employees, righting the wrongs of 40 years ago) Player’s Union?

The owners will pick it apart, contract by contract, lockout by lockout. There is really nothing to stop them while revenues aren’t in the realm of the other major leagues, meaning while good for some, it’s obviously not enough to make them think twice at the moment.

A year off of a player’s salary means something because they won’t be around for long. Most teams will endure over a long time. (c)

12. spoiler says:

For some reason I get the feeling that these KHL games will be beamed to Canada from a Russian TV satellite that looks suspiciously like a hotdog machine.

3CP1. Russian television.

13. Reg Dunlop says:

spoiler,

And filmed with’ new Soviet mini-cam’, slightly smaller than a Skoda.

I love the draft day photo of a happy Galchenyuk in a Habs jersey, a beaming Yak in Oiler silks and a somber Murray in that Columbus monstrosity. He must feel like Barry Beck when he got the call from the Rockies.

14. RexLibris says:

Okay, who here would love to see CBC pay for the rights to KHL games, and then force Don Cherry to do his Koache’s Korner on their games?

I get giddy at the the thought! CBC censors would be working overtime.

15. DawnM says:

Seriously, I’d be psyched about a TV deal to watch the KHL. Then I can PVR it, watch on the flatscreen and, presumably, there will be English colour. I’ve watched a couple of streamed KHL games as my work schedule permits it. See above for the downside. Otherwise, it was entertaining and I’m loving watching players I know and getting to know players I’ve never seen before.

Besides, it can only be great for the fans if the NHL had some real competition (or even a threat of competition) IMO. How quick would the NHL be to use lockout as their only negotiating tactic next time if competing networks were going to sign up for KHL games? Take note TSN, CBC, etc. I will watch if you will broadcast.