SHAWN HORCOFF IN “A BRIDGE TOO FAR”

The damndest things happen when people open their mouths. Smart people do crazy things in the heat of battle, and a smart hockey player may have done something that’ll cost him someday. Or soon.

In an interview with Craig Custance of ESPN, Horcoff made some salient points about the NHL and the negotiating tactics of the league. I don’t think anyone reading the quotes about the lockout would disagree with anything he said.

The item that may have him in some peril with the Oilers management group is the following:

• “There’s only so many [NHLPA practice jerseys]. The [Oilers] never took mine back in time. I had it from the summer. I said, ‘You know what? I’m going to wear this out of spite.’ “

You’d have to pack a lunch and drive all day to find a fan more onside with Shawn Horcoff than the author of this blog. I’ve been a fan since he arrived, and since he’s not cashing my checks I’m fine with the money too. The quote above is fairly harmless in and off itself, but when you factor in:

• Horcoff is the captain
  • The Oilers have an established “sensitivity” to remarks that could be seen as negative.
  • The Oilers have an established “sensitivity” to anything negative being around the kids.
  • there may be a buyout window after the new CBA is put in place.

How will this turn out? Probably nothing, but you never know. How’s Hershey this time of year, anyway?

17 Responses to "SHAWN HORCOFF IN “A BRIDGE TOO FAR”"

1. coolwasabi says:

Is mental!

2. hunter1909 says:

He’s been a regular Jean Beliveau of a captain.

Not.

3. bookje says:

Yes Shawn, the owners are greedy and want money ? What was it the players want? World Peace?

Take your 50% and go play the game!

4. cabbiesmacker says:

There are a couple of silver linings to this lockout that have helped me keep it in perspective.

1) The Flames best players get one year older…bwaahaahaa

2) The Oilers best players get one year older…..bwaaahaahaa

3) Oilers lose a year of Shawns Horcoff’s ridiculous contract….no bwaahaahaa because it was so damned stupid in the first place. Time to just zip yer lip Shawny. If one needs a shining example of what’s wrong with the league one only need look in a mirror. (No…dude…with both eyes)

Thank gawd we brought back MacT to run the player personnel side of things. We need more of his input to help separate the Horcoff’s and Peterson’s from the bums. Hopefully he’s figured out who John Toews is since he left.

5. Mr DeBakey says:

Comrade Horcov is a Commie Rat!

How dare he say anything mean-spirited about those CAPTAINS OF INDUSTRY who run the NHL.

They have every right to lock him out.

Again.

Where have you gone, Jean Beliveau? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you (Woo, Hoo, Hoo).

6. Bad Seed says:

It is a funny thing for Horcoff to say – especially when he’s chummy with Katz & built a house in the same crescent as him.

7. FastOil says:

Bad Seed:

With Katz’ money. Given the Komrade’s history of classiness, I give him the benefit of the doubt here.

8. Gerta Rauss says:

Mackenzie has lots of tweets up as the details of the NHL’s offer leak out-this one seemed relevant to the topic

The floor for this season would be $43.9M and cap would be $59.9M altho in Year 1 teams could still spend to $70.2M but only in Year 1

So it sounds like they’ll just fudge the cap for the first year(keep it at is) but by next year it’ll drop by $10M(ish). I can’t see the Oilers giving Horcoff the gas pipe this year unless they had to(ie cap space). And it’s not like the Oilers have NHL caliber centers stacked up like cordwood-there is still games to play.

Next year is another matter however.

9. PunjabiOil says:

Next year is another matter however.

If there is an amnesty buyout clause, it would be advisable to buy him out now as opposed to next summer and carry dead cap space for the next 4 seasons.

Of course you could argue that with his salary in the final 2 years of his contract being 4M and 3M respectively, there could be a floor team willing to trade for him. Of course that strategy still carries some risk if Horcoff’s play declines.

The proposal also indicates players no longer eligible to be buried in the minors for cap relief. Have to think a guy like Potter may be bought out?

Khabibulin also should be bought out. There has to be a goalie out there that can produce better numbers that will cost less, even factoring in the 2/3 buyout payment to Khabibulin.

10. Gret99zky says:

I’m going to wear my Northlands Coliseum jersey in spite.

11. PaperDesigner says:

I am thinking that if the cap is going to be dropping, and especially if guys like Redden are going to start counting, amnesty buyouts will be a necessity as league economics adjust.

The Oilers would have to buy out Horcoff, good player or no. They simply can’t carry that contract when they are going to have to look at upping dollars for players like Gagner, Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov all relatively soon.

12. nelson88 says:

Hard to analyze the NHL offer without seeing all the details but on the face of it I am shocked Bettman got the ok to make that proposal. Limited ability to bury high paid mistakes in the minors, forced to eat the entirety of the “Hossa/Luongo” details and a cap ceiling that shrinks by about $10M next year. The ability to keep a small amount of salary in a trade will help somewhat but WOW that proposal will mean real short term pain for the clubs/owners that reportedly have significant sway like Boston, Philly, Chicago etc. Should put some meaningful discipline around their spending moving forward though.

Just like 2004 it will be fascinating to see the deals that get done in the next 10 months and how it reshapes the league. Let’s hope the Oilers are as adept at handling it as last time ( I for one have to give KLowe his due on that one).

13. Bruce McCurdy says:

cabbiesmacker: 3) Oilers lose a year of Shawns Horcoff’s ridiculous contract….no bwaahaahaa because it was so damned stupid in the first place.

Sorry but that sounds like revisionist history to me. Check out Lowetide’s post the day Horcoff signed that deal (titled, simply, “Nice”), and read the comments section. Commenters were overwhelmingly in favour, even saying things like Lowe was having a great summer and the Horcoff extension was the cherry on top. Some of the harshest critics of the team were pretty supportive of that particular move.

Obviouly retrospect would have people rethinking what they wrote that day, but it wasn’t just the guys signing the contract who had a high opinion of Shawn Horcoff back then.

14. Bushed says:

I wasn’t a fan of the Horcoff deal at any time–my initial reaction was disbelief. I thought there was some kind of mistake. I thought the news got he player name wrong, and kept hoping for a retraction. No luck. An obvious over-reaction to the loss of Smytty, and a terrible mistake by Lowe (hey, we all make them from time to time).

Have also noticed many times how Horcoff tried to pass the blame off to “youth” or “being a young team that will make mistakes” or some such nonsense, even for games where the vets were primarily to blame for mailing it in.

Sorry, Horc fans, but I don’t see much leadership here. I’ll be happy when we get a new captain who understands accountability and leadership by example (see Toews, for example). I don’t even want him around at 3M…

15. Mr DeBakey says:

Fuck that.
    Vets mailing ti in belongs in the same round bin as Hemsky’s body language.
    BS from Shauger and the boys.

The Oilers problem last year was not that the vets were mailing it in, the problem was that the team, as ssembled, wasn’t good enough enough to win.

16. gcw_rocks says:

I wasn’t commenting on blogs back then, but I remember telling friends that Horcoff went from being the best value as a second line centre in hockey at $3.6M, but then went to the worst value at $7M. I was certainly not a supporter of the deal then, even when I assumed his offensive output would be in the 50-65 point range, not where it has turned out to be. Took a look through thos comments and wow, the crowd really had drunk the kool-aid back then.

17. Bushed says:

Mr DeBakey,

No argument that the team wasn’t good enough to win last year, but the team wasn’t the focus of my comment.

I’m just sayin’ that Horcoff’s comments (whether true or not) are not what you’d want to hear from your supposed leader…