WHEN “WOW” ISN’T EXCITING

I’m on record as saying the Oilers future is bright. I believe we’re at a point where no one–no one–can screw this up. There’s just too much! Hall, Nuge, Yak, Ebs, Schultz, Petry, it’s an ALL-STAR CAST!

And then we get something like this:

This is the last thing we should be hoping for right now. Seriously. A “wow” move involves acquiring someone who addresses need–goal, defense, maybe center–and paying at least one hundred cents on the dollar.

Luongo? Phaneuf? Maybe a three way deal between Edmonton, Vancouver and Toronto involving Luongo AND Phaneuf AND some of those valuable young Oilers heading out of town?

Tell me I’m wrong. PLEASE!

47 Responses to "WHEN “WOW” ISN’T EXCITING"

1. Cactus says:

Remember LT, this is the same guy trying to convince everyone that Edmonton isn’t a great hockey market and that Katz could move the team. He’s also the host of a show that has little to talk about without the season going on.

Increased cap restrictions going forward probably make it difficult to acquire any big new salaries given the potential pay days coming to the players you listed. Let’s all remain calm!

2. TheOtherJohn says:

Agree with you completely re too much talent for anyone to screw up UNLESS you are truly stupid. With Schultz hitting .375 in AAA with speed and power, Yak tearing it up in KHL only LoweBellini could screw this up.

I’d still trade strength for weakness: Yak for OEL or PK Subban etc but the last thing we need to do is move out young inexpensive future stars for Luongo or Phanuef or worse: both!

Oiler management really trying to show you how they did 30, 30 and 29th while spending 90% to the cap. That is much harder to do than you think

3. Melman says:

Let’s hope Wojtec Wolski’s middle name is Otto and Washington really likes O’Mark

Thankyou, Cactus.

5. Jesse says:

Well lets go down the list: They won’t trade Hall, he’s the face of the franchise. They won’t trade RNH, they haven’t got a lot of depth at C. They won’t trade Schultz. That leads me to believe it has something to do with one or more of Gagner, Pajaarvi (Matheson mentioned something about a trade with him), Hemsky.

6. Jesse says:

I left out Eberle and Yakupov. For some reason I don’t see then as untouchable.

7. Melman says:

Jesse,

They just signed Ebs to a big extension and how do you explain to Ernie that you just traded Bert. Nail hasn’t played a game for them yet and is tearing up the KHL, that makes no sense either. Harski may have eaten Pajaarvi’s lunch, MPS likely has a higher trade value and you have to give up something to get something.

8. speeds says:

I thought the same thing when I saw that tweet, hopeful that doesn’t mean 89 or 91 are shipped for less than full value. I worry about edm shipping off either of those guys because they don’t seem like the player types this mngmnt group would look for on the ” third line”.

91 might not be as physical as they want for a guy in that role, and not sure 89 is seen as a exactly the c type they’d ideally want. Could be mistaken, hope I am.

speeds:
    I thought the same thing when I saw that tweet, hopeful that doesn’t mean 89 or 91 are shipped for less than full value.I worry about edm shipping off either of those guys because they don’t seem like the player types this mngmnt group would look for or the ” third line”

And this is exactly the time when stupid teams trade a Sam Gagner. rfn.

10. speeds says:

Top 9 of:
    4 89 14
    91 10 83
    94 93 64

Looks ok to me

11. Rebilled says:

You’re wrong LT.

When do we ever trade with Toronto(Burke) or Vancouver(the Canucks)?

I think they’ll try DD all season before they make a goalie move.

I could see Gagner, MPS, or Hemsky going. Just because of their contracts. I’d keep them though. The exception might be MPS…

12. Kris11 says:

Yeah, if I had to guess a big “wow” traded, I’d guess some set of the following will be headed out of town:

Hemsky, Gagner, MPS, Hartikainnenenen, Pitlick, and next year’s first or second (depending on how much season is played)

Those guys have value and the Oilers likely feel they have depth at forward and a lot of prospects now. (Though losing Gagner at C would require a C back, maybe.) They can sell young forwards.

I can’t see them moving any of the big 5 of Hall, Yak, RNH, Eberle, and Schultz. (Too risky as PR to lose the kids who can sell tickets for the inevitable arena in Seattle.)

I can’t see them giving up the D prospects with value: Klefbom, Marincin, Musil. I suspect the Oilers value their D prospects more than other teams. (I’m less certain. Maybe these guys go if a D comes back.)

And the rest of the team doesn’t have much trade value. Horcoff, Khabi, Whitney, Old Schultz, Sutton, and Belanger are either overpaid, injured too often, or coming off a poor season(s). Jones and Peckham and Omark and Potter and Eager and Hordichuk never had much value as they are all sort of replacement players.

Smid will be UFA and is needed. Petry is such a value contract. I don’t see them moving unless something better is coming back.

Middling prospects might go too: Hamilton, Ewanyk, Simpson, Bigos, etc. But that is life.

Rebilled:
    You’re wrong LT.

When do we ever trade with Toronto(Burke) or Vancouver(the Canucks)?

I think they’ll try DD all season before they make a goalie move.

14. Cactus says:

Lowetide: And this is exactly the time when stupid teams trade a SamGagner. rfn.

I just don’t see who they’d play at centre in that case. I could see that at the trade deadline. It just doesn’t make sense right now.

Nuge, Horcoff, Belanger, Lander or VandeVelde.

16. BlacqueJacque says:

Given the idiocy Stauffer has spewed recently, this could conceivably be a ploy in the arena negotiations.

17. Cactus says:

They know Lander failed and Horcoff’s rapidly showing his age. I can only see that deal at the deadline/offseason if the return is decent and they can’t get Gagner on a reasonable contract.

I think as Oilers fans we’ve been conditioned to expect disaster (at least in recent times), but they haven’t done anything catastrophic during this rebuild. I don’t see it starting now, despite what Bob “Brilliant Insight” Stauffer suggests.

18. Jesse says:

First there’s rumours of the Oilers inquiring about Luongo, and now this tweet. Something stinks.

They really have no one to replace Gagner at 2C, especially with10 and 20 both getting older

Hard to imagine VAN trading Luongo to a division rival though.

19. Cactus says:

Jesse:

Hard to imagine VAN trading Luongo to a division rival though.

It’s just as likely that the leak is coming from Vancouver sources trying desperately to drum up a trade market for Luongo.

20. danny says:

I doubt they all of a sudden start moving pieces “before they know what they have” because this is exactly what they haven’t done since 2006.

I can see their #1 pick in play, along with PRV and maybe Gagner. Dubnyk may be too if its for a goaltender coming back.

I don’t see any of the *new* young core being moved.

21. Jonathan Willis says:

Hard to know exactly what the Oilers might be looking at. In terms of need, it seems pretty clear that defence and goal are the main areas.

What do they trade? Well, what’s changed since summer? Yakupov and Schultz have both had hot starts; I can’t imagine who they’d trade on ‘D’ who would have value and be conceivably replaceable by Schultz. That leaves Yakupov – and given the strong starts for Hartikainen and Paajarvi in the minors – so I’d guess that if the Oilers were moving a guy, it would be a winger. Hemsky or Paajarvi would seem the logical candidate.

What do they bring in a trade? I don’t know.

22. steveb12344 says:

I think we can all relax as far as Loungo is concerned.

The bottom line there is that RL would have to agree to the move, and i just can’t see any way possible that he would waive his no-trade to come to Edm.

I would guess if something big happens, it will probably be something random that nobody even thought of.

I’m with you though. I don’t think we can get good value for for anyone that we would consider valuable at this time.

23. Gerta Rauss says:

I guess anything is possible and we should prepare ourselves for the day when 1 of the young kids is moved for help elsewhere,but I don’t see the urgency here either.

And I don’t even want to discuss trading for Ugly-I’d rather take back Komisarek if we’re helping Toronto move salary.

A Hemsky something for Yandle something deal makes a hell of a lot of sense for both teams. The Oilers need a real defenseman. Yandle is a real defenseman. Phoenix hasn’t replaced Ray Whitney.

Hemsky and the rights to Omark for Yandle would be my prediction.

25. Easilee says:

Aaaaaa panic!!!!!

At some point this thing has to move forward, with the major pieces in place, the shaping of this team can begin. A stupid move might be trading Gagner for futures. However if they don’t believe in him, and can upgrade a position of weakness, ie top 6 size, why not? Obviously I don’t see him in the same light as most here do though.

26. wheatnoil says:

I’m of two minds here…

1) It’s ridiculous that any unknown is equivalent to disaster. This impending trade (if that is in fact what it is and not a big name hire for “Director of Player Personnel”) could be positive, negative, or equivocal and our repeated attempts to predict the worst is a cognitive distortion known as catastrophizing.

2) OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD! *hyperventilates into paper bag*

27. hunter1909 says:

I’ll bet the Oilers top brass get spooked after reading HF Boards and Calgary Puck; then want to make deals such as trading Yakupov at 60 cents to the euro.

Picture This: KLowe and MacT fighting over who gets to call Mr. Katz, who automatically vetos everything they propose.

28. regwald says:

This smacks of K-lowe reading his notes coming out of the last lockout. Make a trade for all-star defenceman … looks around. Yup, who’s a Chris Pronger type. Then let’s follow it up with dealing for that 2nd/3rd line center – Peca type.

This management team is pretty predictable … so, those are the clues. Now, who matches those characteristics ? Yandle, Bouwmeester, Boyle, Phaneuf, Wisniewski

Lecavalier, OV, Hossa, Iggy, Joe Thornton, Marleau, Stastny ? (ok, forwards not just Centers)

29. LoDog says:

Lowetide: I wouldn’t move any of those players. None. There’s NO pressure on Edmonton to help another team by taking on a massive contract.

30. FastOil says:

The thing I don’t understand is that the team is perfectly prepared for a tank in a no consequence season because of the lockout.

If there is any season left, why do anything but lose? The perfect cover to pick up a top centre or a top pairing D, in a draft with the potential that speaks to exactly the Oiler’s holes. After all we’ve been through, this is not the time to be principled or active. Now that the Isles and CBJ have appeared to give a hoot, and the Panthers seem to with Tallon, take advantage.

Run out Khabi’s contract, lose whomever else, and then move forward.

Be smart, please.

LoDog: You don’t want to see any of those players moved yet you post every other day how the Oilers need to shore up the d. Well you can’t get one without giving something up.

And yet that’s exactly what Justin Schultz is. Perhaps the Oilers can sign a suitable free agent next summer when Whitney and Khabibulin walk?

32. gr8one says:

PRV, Pitlick and Marancin and our first next year for Getzlaf, Beauchemin and a 2nd or third.

That would give the Ducks(including their own pick) likely two high picks next year and some fantastic young building blocks to expedite their impending rebuild.

Contingent upon Getzlaf resigning with us of course, which considering he’s from Saskatchewan and his brother being so close in Regina as a Roughrider shouldn’t be all that far fetched.

Hall Getzlaf Eberle
    Harski RNH Yakupov
    Smyth Horcof Hemsky
    Eager Belanger Jones

Smid, Petry
    Beauchemin, Schultz J
    Schultz N, Whitney

#pipedream

33. jp says:

You’ve gotta give some to get some most times for sure. No doubt last years 29th place team needs more D depth/quality and has other holes in the lineup. The point was that any trades to improve this team need to be decent. That means not giving up on quality young players too early and/or not bringing in players who are overrated and paid more than they’re worth. Recognizing the need to improve the D and being concerned about the sensibility of a “wow” trade are not at all contradictory.

34. gr8one says:

gr8one:

Hall Getzlaf Eberle
    Harski RNH Yakupov
    Smyth Horcof Hemsky
    Eager Belanger Jones

Smid, Petry
    Beauchemin, Schultz J
    Schultz N, Whitney

#pipedream

Damn…I cant believe I forgot Gagner…

Hall Getzlaf Eberle
    Harski RNH Yakupov
    Smyth Gagner Hemsky
    Belanger Horcof Jones

Smid, Petry
    Beauchemin, Schultz J
    Schultz N, Whitney

35. Zack says:

If my job depended on entertainment that was on hiatus I may try stirring the pot too once and a while.

36. art vandelay says:

I heard Quick and Doughty.
    Going the other way: 6, 49, 101, 13 or 69.
    Heard that on Gregor/read it in Matty’s column/re-tweeted it from that self-important TSN dou.chebag’s facegoogle page.

37. RickDeckard says:

The Oilers are launching an initiate to improve team cohesion. They will be using World of Warcraft due to the youthful roster.

That’s my best case scenario.

38. dessert1111 says:

Maybe they don’t think Eberle is playing like a 6 million dollar man in the minors so they trade him for a top pairing defenseman?

Maybe if they give up Gagner, Arcobello can step into 2nd line centre ;) Seriously though, imagine they were silly enough to give up Gagner without getting a centre back? Arcobello, VandeVelde and Tanner House are probably wetting themselves at the thought. I guess if the plan is to pick up a C in the first round no matter what, the team would only suck real bad for half a season…

WOW player, to me, means Eberle, Yakupov, RNH, Hall or Schultz. The most likely to me is Eberle, followed by Yakupov. If it were me? Hall, because if he keeps getting injured (a real possibility), you’ve just lost two of your cornerstone wingers.

I thought trades of players on one-way deals couldn’t happen in the lockout anyway? Must be wrong.

I wish they’d wait just one more year before any blockbuster moves…still a bit early, and one more top 10 pick this year for a C could go a really long way without giving anything up that we need. That C will be ready to step in just as Belanger is gone and Horcoff is knocked down a peg.

39. LoDog says:

Not that I put any stock into this but why can’t the wow player personnel move be the vaunted 2 or 3 for 1 that so many people have wanted forever.

OMark is lighting it up, maybe him and buddy PRV and a pick and… gets the Oilers a wow player back. Whatever it may be I wouldn’t assume its the Oilers giving up any of the wunderkids.

40. jts says:

I think Stauffer may have jumped the shark on this one. The lockout could last till september 2013 and that is a long time to hold onto a trade without someone guessing it. He said both teams should be ashamed if this goes till December and that shows how outside of information he is when it comes to what is going on between the NHLPA and the NHL–the fact more and more players are signing in Europe should be setting of alarms. I think Stauffer got punked by someone on this

41. jonrmcleod says:

Would the Oilers (i.e., Kevin Lowe) ever trade with Brian Burke and give him a chance to look good?

42. spoiler says:

I’m gonna bet this Whitney + Omark for Streit.

I can see Krueger pushing hard to bring Streit to Elm City. They have a lot of history together.

If its Omark, a middling prospect and a middling pick for Streit, even better.

43. prairieschooner says:

NO TRADES!!!!!!!!! At least not at the moment.
    We have a great big toy box filled with toys and we don’t know what we have yet.
    We have to play with our own toys for a while before we think of moving them.
    LT who is available unsigned for next year.Is there an outside short term fill in for Sutton?
    Is there a bad short term contract that can be picked up for the proverbial bag of pucks?

44. Captain's Log says:

1. Please let it not be for Luongo.

2. This time is still a couple years away from seriously competing for a cup. Now is not the time to trade away prospects. Let the young players develop and see where they are in a year or two. Maybe by then Petry / Schultz have established themselves as a top pairing. Or maybe Paajarvi is one of the best 3rd line wingers in the league. Who knows?

What the Oilers will need for their cup runs isn’t going to be known until they get there.

3. The one exception I would make is for a legitimate bonafide #1 defenceman under 30. If the Oilers can get someone who could play for 10 more years, 25+ min a night and really solidify the blue I would be pretty ecstatic. Just no trading any of Hall/Eberle/Yakupov/Schultz/RNH.

4. I will cry if they trade Hemsky, perhaps the most sublimely skilled Oiler I have ever seen play (in person).

45. Captain's Log says:

spoiler,

IMHO Streit is too old to consider bringing over. Not only that but he’s not the kind of defenceman the Oilers need; rather they should be looking for Pronger 2.0 (yes, not an easy task. I would accept Pronger .75).

46. BONVIE says:

(Wow) for me would be taking on Tyler Myers front ended contract……thats my prediction. Big contract payout for this year Buffalo has always been tight for money in past years, but then all of a sudden with the new owners ran right to the cap with underwhelming results on ice. T Myers is my pick.

47. russ99 says:

Jesse,

I doubt Hemsky is moved.

As I recall, when he signed his new deal he got either a no-trade for the first year or a gentleman’s agreement not to trade him the first year.

Gagner is the prime suspect, due to his raise and RFA next summer. Though I wish the Oilers would wait until the deadline, since we could see a boost from him this year maximizing the return.

All of which is moot since the league shows zero signs of the deadlock anytime soon.