BARONS RECALL CORNET

One year ago, Phil Cornet scored 24 goals for the OKC Barons. He was an unlikely sniper, having managed only 29 goals as a career season-high in four seasons of junior hockey. However, Cornet had a season where “everything went in” and reached what may end up being the zenith of his pro career.

Cornet’s actual value to the OKC roster a year ago may be more accurately reflected in the chart below. Even strength scoring takes out the PP numbers and gives you a pure look at a player.

BARONS EV SCORING 11-12

8 ANTTI TYRVAINEN 55 5 12 17 .309
9 TANNER HOUSE 68 8 12 20 .294
10 TRISTON GRANT 53 11 4 15 .283
11 TYLER PITLICK 62 4 13 17 .274
12 CHRIS VANDE VELDE 68 5 13 18 .265
13 CURTIS HAMILTON 41 4 3 7 .171

This look at the 11-12 EV scoring among forwards for the Barons reflects what we might expect: AHL veterans delivering solid seasons, and a couple of prospects (Paajarvi and Hartikainen) making their way into the conversation. We don’t have TOI, but a decent estimate of their usage would suggest Cornet had many more EV minutes than Hunter Tremblay (as an example).

BARONS EV SCORING 12-13

9 CHRIS VANDEVELDE 15 0 2 2 .1333
10 DANE BYERS 16 1 1 2 .1250
11 ANTTI TYRVAINEN 9 0 1 1 .1111
12 CURTIS HAMILTON 12 1 0 1 .0833
13 TANNER HOUSE 12 1 0 1 .083
14 ANTON LANDER 12 0 0 0 .000

The NHLers Hall and Eberle are at the top (the Nuge is down the line) and after that Arcobello and Hartikainen slot in. Paajarvi isn’t getting the push at evens this season (after starting with Nuge and Ebs) and Lander has stepped into an elevator shaft. Pitlick and Hamitlon are also below the Mendoza line.

For fun, here’s the PP numbers for each season.

11-12 BARON ON THE PP (FWDS)

NAME GP EV G E A PP PTS PP PTS/G
JOSH GREEN 51 4 9 13 .255
RYAN KELLER 71 3 13 16 .225
PHIL CORNET 67 11 2 13 .194
MAGNUS PAAJARVI 34 0 6 6 .176
TEEMU HARTIKAINEN 51 5 4 9 .176
LINUS OMARK 18 1 2 3 .167
LENNART PETRELL 9 0 1 1 .111
CURTIS HAMILTON 41 1 3 4 .098
TYLER PITLICK 62 3 3 6 .097
MARK ARCOBELLO 73 3 4 7 .095
HUNTER TREMBLAY 68 0 2 2 .029
CHRIS VANDE VELDE 68 1 1 2 .029
ANTTI TYRVAINEN 55 0 1 1 .018

12-13 BARON ON THE PP (FWDS)

NAME GP PP G PPA PP PTS PP PTS/G
RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS 15 3 9 12 .800
JORDAN EBERLE 16 2 8 10 .625
MAGNUS PAAJARVI 16 1 5 6 .375
TEEMU HARTIKAINEN 16 2 4 6 .375
TAYLOR HALL 8 3 0 3 .375
MARK ARCOBELLO 14 2 0 2 .143

The Barons are superior to last year’s bunch–duh–and the Nuge continues the savant performance. One can really see who is getting the push here too–if Paajarvi didn’t have these PP numbers I wonder if we’d be talking about him as an NHL option. Its important to remember MP is extremely unlikely to get powerplay time when the NHL returns.

Barons play tomorrow, and I’ll have a GDT here. Next Top 20 update Monday.

24 Responses to "BARONS RECALL CORNET"

1. DSF says:

Paajarvi hasn’t ever really been an NHL option.

Without playing the second most minutes on the team in his rookie season and getting oodles of PP time, his scoring numbers would be even more dreadful.

Christ you must have Paajarvi as a keyword on the entire internet. I pray to God Almighty he scores the goal that sends the Canucks packing in the spring.

3. DSF says:

By spring 13/14 I would guess hell be back in the SEL.

Nuclear winter approaches.

4. DSF says:

Moose Jaw @ Oil Kings tonight on SN.

5. OilClog says:

Paajarvi is going to be a player, he drives the puck the proper direction and can play with skill. He doesn’t need to put the puck in the back of the net to be successful on this team. He’ll create space for players like the yak to pull the trigger. DSF has many nightmares coming his way.

Dillon Simpson with an assist tonight.

7. Oilertown says:

Dsf is the reason I rarely post on this site or oilersnation. Start reading the comments then I want to comment on a few things and low and behold will stumble across a Dsf comment. Suddenly I get filled with such rage at his cluelessness that I don’t feel like even posting anymore.

8. rich says:

Usually I just skip past DSF’s comments. However, just this once I won’t.

While I hope he’s wrong about both MPS and the nuclear winter, my concern is he could very well be right about the latter. Given the way both sides in the lockout continue to talk past each other and try to appeal to the fans it’s clear they don’ care about us.

Thank God for youth hockey, this blog and the AHL. I’m really not missing the NHL this winter and frankly, won’t give EITHER side one dime of my money when they come back for at least 1 season – whenever it is. May Bettman and Fehr both take a long walk off a short pier.

9. Gi JQE says:

Oilertown,

I personally find his trolling entertaining. He is so clueless it makes me chuckle at his comments. It is really a lot like having hockey conversations with canuck fans in general (I live in northern BC so have them frequently ). The lack of intelligence and hockey knowledge makes for complete entertainment.

You just have to remind yourself when you are talking to or listening to such (DSF or vast majority of canuck fans) that it is like discussing with a child… you cant expect too much.

Rieder with a goal. Needs to step it up, but does appear to be.

11. blackgold says:

I disagree with the assessment of DSF as clueless. He’s just myopic, pretentious, and uppity. I mean we get it, he thinks oilers management is stupid. Blah blah blah. Meanwhile his mancrush Dale Tallon drafts Skille seventh overall and then makes a horrible trade for him. Can you imagine how his fingers would bleed condemning those moves if Lowebellini was behind them? I think I would enjoy some of his insight if it wasn’t overshadowed by his general negativity and constant assertions of certainty.

12. jp says:

blackgold,

Agreed. Kind of a shame.

Laleggia and Musi with assists tonight.

14. Smidpet says:

So what you’re saying is Lander is suffering from Ozzie Smith syndrome?

15. VOR says:

Lets see,

DSF says Paajarvi was 2nd on team in minutes in his rookie season. Nope he was 6th in total TOI and 17th in TOI per game. Oddles of pwer play time. He was 8th, 5th amongst forwards in PP TOI. In other words either once again DSF is making stuff up or he simply can’t get the basic facts right.

16. Bruce McCurdy says:

VOR:
    Lets see,

17. Gi JQE says:

VOR,

Clueless might be a bit harsh I guess. But most of the stats he throws out are very skewed from what I have seen reading thise blogs for the past year and change.

Regardless, back to Lowetide’s point I suppose!
    From everything I have read and seen, CORNETT isn’t looking like a long termm option.

MUSIL looks solid from what I saw tonight. But maybe just a case of ‘see him good’? Sportsnet was raving about he and LOWE’s shut down ability..

18. VOR says:

GI JQE,

I’ve seen Musil play a lot. It is very hard to project shut down skills from junior at the NHL level. However, Musil is incredibly calm and plays good positional defence. So maybe we are all seeing something real.

Cornett has always been a strange creature, more passer than goal scorer and surprisingly aggressive on the forecheck for such a small guy. I have always had a hard time seeing him as an NHL player. He just doesn’t have the sort of game (watch him prove me wrong) to be a 4th line player in the NHL. On the Oilers that is the only job available. Though for all I know he might be a poor man’s Alex Tanguay.

19. Professor Q says:

Is that PP scoring 11-12, or just a typo?

Professor: I’ve listed PP scoring 11-12 and 12-13 (so far).

21. spoiler says:

Professor: I’ve listed PP scoring 11-12 and 12-13 (so far).

LT, I think the Prof is referring to the typo in the first chart, which should read “EV Pts”.

Ah yes, my typing skills betray me once again. Yes, that’s a mistake–it’s even points. Lordy.

23. VOR says:

According to NHL.com Paajarvi was 140th in total time on ice in the league in 2010-2011 and 162nd in power play time on ice. In other words DSF is totally wrong about the Oilers giving him the big push. Bruce is right in saying they only used him when they had nobody else on the shelf who could put the biscuit in the basket.

Did he produce given those minutes? For a rookie he did quite well. For a veteran given those minutes he was below average.

Last year was .a disaster at the NHL level but he played better at the AHL level. In the AHL playoffs he played extremely well. At the beginning of this season he did not play well with RNH and Eberle but was solid on the PP working well with Schultz. In his work with the Nordic Line he has earned solid reviews at Cult of Hockey and Staples scoring chances shows he is pushing the puck in the right direction. Any number of reporters and bloggers including people who post here have mentioned he is being much more physical and charging the net. So why are a growing number of people deciding he is a write off. Is there no place in the NHL for a blindingly fast, injury free, strong checking kid who is coachable and pushes the puck in the right direction?

24. DSF says:

Bruce McCurdy: The only reason Paajarvi was near the top was he was one of three Oiler forwads who didn’t get hurt. As I recall, Cogs 82, Jones 81 GP, Paajarvi 80, everybody else <70 …. **runs to check** … yup. Paajarvi was 2nd in total minutes, but 9th in TOI / GP. 9th among F in avg PPTOI / GP as well. When he did get to play it was only because any teammate who might possibly put the biscuit in the basket was on the shelf.

Well, that’s exactly my point.

If the injury bug hadn’t devastated the Oiler forward ranks that season, Magnus would have had far less opportunity and, one would logically assume, fewer points.

Considering how thin the forward ranks were that season, it was almost a perfect storm for a rookie.

Worth noting, Paajarvi managed P/60 of 1.36 at evens, just a hair above Cogliano and 8th among forwards who played 40+ games.