NEFTEKHIMIK V DYNAMO RIGA 23.11.12

Our jet-setter Nail Yakupov is back in the USSR after spending part of November in the great white North. He continues to be a ramrod at the KHL level (15, 10-4-14 -4) and is a shootout specialist for the town team.

We’re not yet at the point where we have enough to project an NHLE–NHL equivalency–however for fun lets use .65 as a line in the sand and see where it gets us.

• KHL 15, 10-4-14
  • NHLE 82, 36-14-50

Could he score THIRTY-SIX goals as a rookie? Well, that’s a crazy damn total. Here are recent totals by NHL rookies:

• Michael Grabner 34 in 10-11
  • Bobby Ryan 34 in 08-09
  • Logan Couture 32 in 10-11
  • Jeff Skinner 31 in 10-11
  • Matt Read 24 in 11-12
  • Matt DuChene 24 in 09-10
  • John Tavares 24 in 09-10
  • James Neal 24 in 08-09

Would seem to be outrageous. Still, the NHLE is probably better this season (it must be a better league with all of those NHL players) and this kid is a #1 overall pick. Is he capable of Pavel Bure explosiveness and goal totals?

Can’t wait to find out!

13 Responses to "NEFTEKHIMIK V DYNAMO RIGA 23.11.12"

1. oilers89 says:

I could have swore that I read somewhere that with Yak’s age and being in the KHL his NHLE would have him bring 95% of his offence? No idea where I read that, but I was pretty excited. The totals with the .65 NHLE is impressive still though. 36 goals? What if he plays relatively soft minutes with the nuge or something? Are we then looking at 40? Thats just silly haha.

2. raventalon40 says:

Yakupov sure does look exciting. After all the Jani Ritas, Rob Schremps, and Alexander Bumagins, it’s nice to finally have an all-offense type that looks like he will actually make it. Especially a guy with this much all-around ability, the only thing missing is a defensive zone awareness. He has the pluck to play the body and the speed to be effective on the PK if only he had the mindset.

The biggest plus for me is so far he seems very capable of playing his style without getting absolutely crushed by defensemen when entering the offensive zone (knocking vigourously on wood…).

Good times ahead.

3. DeadmanWaking says:

If we’re giving up 1.5 softies/game on unsteady glove hands and unstudly defensive miscues, in order to win either A) the team must be shooting lights out in the attacking zone–not impossible to imagine–or B) Krueger must implement “all hands on deck” in the defensive zone.

The former leads to high entertainment and blow-outs both ways (few loser points awarded). The later leads to basketball: 59 minutes of low-scoring boredom followed by one minute of empty net. Bettman rewards basketball with the Bettman bonus. So I would say the ice is tilted against Na-EEL Ya-KOOP-ov (as they said it on the feed at Cult yesterday) getting too deep into the high end of his mind-blowing plausible range.

I wonder what score going into the 3rd period sheds the largest number of television viewers. At 4-0 does the action on another channel begin to entice? Will sensible knuckleheads begin to suffer Linsanity? Can we be sucked all the way into the gutter of fat men nursing their spares?

I have a feeling Bettman knows these conversion rates.

There once was a game played between Minnesota and New Jersey. They forgot the puck. Few noticed. Halfway through most viewers had slumped to the edge of their seats (the remote found refuge behind a large bowl of Cheetos). It’s well established that advertising has the strongest effect on the nearly comatose. Nielson’s glowed. The next morning, head office ran the numbers on whether having a puck was worth the expense. The savings in dentistry alone were jaw dropping. Unfortunately, there is always a butterfly in the ointment: a sports psychologist put it forward that too many goalies would experience “the sting of pride” to successfully mime a puckless shootout. Damn it all to hell! Another perfectly good plan foiled by those nihilistic cry-babies.

These players, they have they no clue of how business really operates. In the WWE every third act contains gripping reversals. Entertainment certainty. Book it. Like hell we’re providing rinks and pucks from our side of the take because they won’t play ballless.

4. delooper says:

That was lovely, DMW. Now if only I had a hot tub, a cute girl and a beer…

5. DeadmanWaking says:

I had a small epiphany after my post. I realized I only ever post one idea. Or perhaps one question. And this is the question: What happens when love becomes its own worst enemy?

The fans bend. The players bend. The pimps at head office continue their relentless substitution of sport by entertainment, under codename Operation Certainty. Small problem. Wherever certainty is found, sport isn’t. Has there ever been a truism more self-evident than that? The more we love sport, the further it slips from our grasp.

That’s really my only idea. One idea, and a fat thesaurus. I’m a one trick pony with many zippers. Here’s where I would introduce a second idea if I had one. But no, back to the same old idea, in new drag: there’s sport and then there’s the spectacle of sport–the ugly spectacle of the business of sport tearing its chest open and devouring its own heart.

The love, however, never entirely dies. Sometimes it has to hit the mattress and smolder there for a while. It’s not like this is a rare fate. Look what happened to Woodstock. But eventually the spark catches again, and the whole process repeats.

If the hope didn’t run so deep, the power of the suits to ruin the whole thing would be much reduced. Love as its own worst enemy.

There’s a critical difference between flipping coins and actually playing the games with the outcome at stake on the gift of talent. I’ve been reading about quantum computing lately. There are shallow forms of complexity and there are deep forms of complexity. You can get an outcome not so different than the actual NHL season outcome by flipping an almost fair coin. Boring. No, you want the outcome rooted in that undefinable something that a great player scrapes out of the bottom of a very deep barrel at the most critical possible moment. That’s the most complex thing we’ll ever experience in life: the mystically porous boundary at the limits of human achievement. Take that away, all you have left is entertainment.

It’s just brutal how easy it seems to be for the money bags to come along to trade one for the other.

Hans in Luck

One of these lucky beings was neighbour Hans. Seven long years he had worked hard for his master. At last he said, ’Master, my time is up; I must go home and see my poor mother once more: so pray pay me my wages and let me go.’ And the master said, ’You have been a faithful and good servant, Hans, so your pay shall be handsome.’ Then he gave him a lump of silver as big as his head.

Oh oh, I’m suspecting this ends badly.

6. bendelson says:

It would be nice to see you place a little more effort and originality into your posts DMW – instead of just rehashing old DSF posts.

bendelson:

There are multiple levels of awesomeness in this post.

Also,

In absence of SS; fuck you Bendelson.

8. DSF says:

Woodguy,

Nasty.

Franco is still dead and Paajarvi has hands of plywood.

9. Scott Reynolds says:

The best part about Yakupov’s scoring is that, while his shooting percentage is very high (as you’d expect of anyone with 10 goals in 16 games), 15.6% isn’t to the point of being ridiculous. I’m at least as impressed that Yakupov is sixth in the KHL in shots per game despite averaging just 15:16 for ice time. The next lowest average ice time among the top twenty in shots per game is 16:38.

10. Bruce McCurdy says:

I’ll be happy if Paajarvi turns out even half as good as Sergei Shirokov!

(I think it was Sergei? Alexei maybe? Whatever, the nxt superstar in Vancouver … that guy)

I believe thats Jordan Schroeder. His Dad payed piano on Peanuts.

12. VOR says:

Bruce,

I think you must be thinking of that amazing Mike Duco!

13. bendelson says:

Woodguy,

A tip of my hat to you good sir.

From DMW to DSF and all the steves in between…
    I enjoy it all.