OKC V CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE 13.11.12

The OKC Barons play a (VERY) early game today, it’ll be over by the time my mind starts to wander. The Barons elite players are busy being elite and the league scoresheet proves it.

1. Justin Schultz 12, 7-9-16–leads the league in points.
  2. Jordan Eberle 12, 6-6-12–tied for 12th in league scoring.
  3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 11, 3-8-11–tied for 3rd in PP assiats.
  4. Taylor Hall has 2 goals in 4 games.
I keep reading about how  these young men aren’t dominating, but they are doing fine as they adjust to the league and recover from injury. I also think Teemu Hartikainen’s start (12, 3-7-10 includes 7 even strength points) has earned him a ticket to the show when the show returns.

At the ECHL level, Toni Rajala is in the top 10 in league scoring (11, 7-9-16) and Phil Cornet (11, 6-8-14). Kristians Pelss is getting into the swing of things (5, 2-1-3) and Tyler Bunz is playing well despite a couple of difficult games recently (.906SP so far).

We’ll see how things go this week, but I may begin the winter top 20 prospects series  later in the week. I had planned on holding off until the lockout ended, but stupid is as stupid does and those clowns can’t doing anything right.

40 Responses to "OKC V CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE 13.11.12"

1. blackdog says:

Greetings from said centre of the universe.

Interesting to see if/when this all ends how the farm teams suss out. Besides the stars and young Schultz I guess we will see Hartikainen get the call and then after that what? Does Paajarvi or will they prefer to have him play big minutes in OKC rather than fourth line minutes in the show? Everyone else will get bumped up the ladder, will be interesting to see if Rajala comes to OKC, have to think so based on his numbers. And does Pelss come as well? And will Hamilton get a bigger role? Have to think yes in both cases.

2. jonrmcleod says:

Has there much criticism about NHL players taking jobs from other guys in Europe, the AHL, and the ECHL? Obviously, teams and fans will welcome the NHLers with open arms. But what about the guys who are out of jobs?

3. mumbai max says:

WOW. A night time hockey game. I live in Bombay, and have become so used to hockey games at 7 a.m., that I actually forget they are played at night. Not sure what the heck they are doing playing a MORNING hockey game, but it is warmly welcomed here. It is Diwali here (Indian equivalent of Christmas) and thus it is also the perfect Diwali gift to me! Listen to a hockey game at night with the fireworks bursting outside. I am sure that is what the AHL had in mind.

I agree that we are over-reacting to say the boys are not doing well. There was every chance they would have got off to a slow start in the NHL, with all the attention, so this is the ideal way to get up to speed. I love that everyone has to play a level below for awhile. I think it is good for every single player. Not sure it would be good for an entire year, but until New Years it is a perfect scenario. Everyone moves up a notch full of confidence (except AL).

Feel a blowout coming tonight. Time for hockey gods to even things up a bit.

4. Professor Q says:

Love those OKC sweaters.

5. dessert1111 says:

mumbai max:

Feel a blowout coming tonight. Time for hockey gods to even things up a bit.

Hope you have a happy Diwali! I hear it’s a lot of fun to celebrate.

6. engineer says:

Yeah, a game that begins in the early evening. Nice one, I’d have missed it if not for this thread.

7. fuzzy muppet says:

link?

8. engineer says:

audio only so far, still looking

9. dessert1111 says:

Wouldn’t mind seeing (well, hearing) Hall and Hartikainen swapped and Arcobello and Lander swapped. None of Hartikainen, Lander or Paajarvi seem to generate much offense on their own, but Hartikainen adds a nice element to the top line and I think Hall – Arcobello – Paajarvi could be dangerous too. With the top loading I’m just wondering if any of the other lines will be able to produce, especially since it’s easier for the opposition to stop one line than two.

10. striatic says:

Greg McKegg.

awesome hockey name.

can we trade for him? please?

11. fuzzy muppet says:

sounds like the barons are still sleepy

12. dessert1111 says:

Kind of glad I can’t see this game. 4-0? What the hell

13. smelltheglove says:

It’s early in the season and I have only seen snippets of games but OKC sits one game above .500, in eighth position (of 15 teams) in the AHL Western Conference. To what do you attribute the shortfall in performance; even before the addition of the Big Four, coming into the season this was a much vaunted team. Team chemistry been disrupted by the shuffling and jockeying?

14. Oilanderp says:

Too many rookie D?

15. dessert1111 says:

Effort level? Coaching? Mentality? Not a team effort? Maybe they’re just actually not that good?

Rookie D is a problem but doesn’t explain why the offense isn’t tearing it up. The D are playing as well as I’d expect them to, but the forwards aren’t. Too much talent for them not to score several goals each game.

16. Jordan says:

Been listening to the game since the second. Sounds like the wiz kids are getting good chances, but not burying them. Crossbars, posts, unlikely saves, etc…

Interview with injured Josh Green (ribs) over the 2nd intermission suggested that one of the problems is that the team isn’t gelling well this year like they did last year. Big issue sounds like the lockout – no one knows whether the NHL-level players will be staying, and though he didn’t say it, I’d guess there’s some friction between them and the guys who were expecting to be playing regularly in the AHL this year.

Which is interesting, in a “Really? That’s kind of silly but quite believable” kind of way.

This game, sounds like Roy should have had at least one of the goals he let in, and probably two. However, they’re on a 5 on 3 right now, so… could come back yet!

17. russ99 says:

It’s pretty obvious why the Barons are getting schooled seemingly every other night: Our bottom 6 forwards and bottom four defenders are far below the level of those of the better AHL teams.

It’s a physical grinder league, not a finesse league.

We should have added some better AHL veterans to the team this year, instead of letting them go and handing jobs to kids graduating to the “A”.

My biggest concern is what happens if Danis is hurt, cause he’s been keeping us in games we should lose.

18. Jordan says:

Wow… 5-4 now. Those wunderkidz sure are putting some pucks in the net now!

19. Oilanderp says:

Interesting. They’re not giving up! Holy p00p, TIE GAME!!

20. dessert1111 says:

Holy crap glad I didn’t turn this one off. This is INSANE

21. Seabb says:

wow. what a finish. But why do we wait so long to get started?

22. smelltheglove says:

Watching box-scores – amazing that the poster a few up called out the kids.

23. Jordan says:

annnnnd. 5-5. Wow. THis is really cool.

24. fuzzy muppet says:

Guess i picked the wrong game to stop listening to

25. dessert1111 says:

smelltheglove:
    Watching box-scores – amazing that the poster a few up called out the kids.

I’m pretty sure they were reading this blog between shifts and decided to turn it up a notch.

26. Rocknrolla says:

Wow! Great character! Now that’s a development game…lets win this now. Glad I didn’t turn off the radio!

27. Dalton says:

Looks like Justin Schultz took an injury in the overtime game against the Marlies.

28. Dalton says:

dessert1111: It’s been enough games now where I’m comfortable suggesting that this team has been disappointing and isn’t playing as well as they should on paper. RNH, Hall and Eberle are on a #1 NHL line playing against the best defenders in the world. If they can flirt with a PPG pace at the NHL level, they should be flirting with a 2-2.5 PPG pace here. And what’s with the lack of secondary scoring?

RNH and Eberle each have 4 points apiece this game… You crazy, dog!

29. dessert1111 says:

What a disgusting end with only a few seconds left. Would’ve loved to hear a shootout. Oh well, still exciting and made the past 3 hours of work a lot more interesting.

30. dessert1111 says:

Dalton: RNH and Eberle each have 4 points apiece this game…You crazy, dog!

I wrote that before the last 5 minutes of the game when they went ballistic

31. Oilanderp says:

Good try as they manage a point.

32. Dalton says:

Any further news about Justin Schultz’s injury on the audio feed?

33. Jordan says:

I dunno – Stotped listening to go have lunch. Love to hear if anyone else knows.

34. Oilanderp says:

OKC now has 3 of the top 4 point getters in the AHL. Oh, and the league PIM leader too!

35. Dalton says:

dessert1111: Dalton: RNH and Eberle each have 4 points apiece this game…You crazy, dog!

I wrote that before the last 5 minutes of the game when they went ballistic

I was just teasin’. I’m kind of frustrated about some things going on in OKC too tbh.

36. dessert1111 says:

Dalton: I was just teasin’.I’m kind of frustrated about some things going on in OKC too tbh.

I like to think that they were so moved by my comments that they decided to start scoring. A few more four point games would shut me up, guys :)

37. gwdsfo says:

Great comeback this morning! Saw last Friday night’s game in SF Bulls (Thunder lost 4-1) and was sorely disappointed in Toni Rajala’s play plus not getting to see Bunz start in the legendary Cow Palace arena – it makes Edmonton Gardens seem advanced. Rajala never once went to the tough areas to fight for possession, he’s fast but smaller than Omark and w/o the ability to control the puck along the wall or win battles. No NHL for him. Cornet had the best hands and was head and shoulders above the rest of Thunder.

38. jp says:

gwdsfo,

Too bad about Rajala. Had a little hope for him with the scoring numbers he’s putting up.

Cornet will probably be back on the OKC 2nd line as soon as the lockout ends.

Was Peckham playing for SF yet?

39. gwdsfo says:

Peckham looked good save he was everything you love and hate about theo… still odd to watch a Peckham on the PP though.
    Cornet may have potential as he was the only thunder player with soft hands… or the puck didnt bounce or reverberate off his stick like it did the rest of the team which = nhl possibilities.