OKC V CHARLOTTE 24.11.12

The OKC Barons are 6-2-1-1 in their last 10 games and appear to be finding the range. The club boasts the Oilers franchise cornerstone (Taylor Hall) along with three massive building blocks (Ebs, Nuge and Schultz) that should this team from a good one “on paper” to a winning franchise in the bricks and mortar division.

The Nuge leads the league in powerplay assists already (9) and if he continues to impact the 5×4 (as he did last year in the NHL) we’re going to have to find some comparables from yesterday to put it in perspective. Eberle and Schultz are tied for the league lead in assists overall, and Schultz has a two point lead over Eberle in the total points race (23 to 21) so far this season.

Taylor Hall is having an impact already, scoring 3 PP goals in his 9 games to make the front page in that category (league leader has 5).

DRAYSON BOWMAN

With all of the firepower on the OKC side, you’d think this would be another night of freewheeling for the Barons. Not so. The Charlotte Checkers are minor league psycho killers, scoring an average of 3.7 goals per game so far this year (Barons are scoring 3.18).

Whereas the Barons are led by Justin Schultz and the three NHL kids, Charlotte’s power comes from emerging forwards like Drayson Bowman (former WHLer has 11 goals in 13 games), Zack Boychuk (another WHL player, Boychuk appears to be recovering his career and is 17, 10-6-16), Chris Terry (14, 8-5-13), Zac Dalpe (16, 5-8-13) plus Jerome Sansom (17, 3-7-10). Riley Nash (16, 3-6-9) plays a two-way role on the club.

Not to be outdone by Justin Schultz, the Checkers boast an amazing young talent in Justin Faulk (14, 3-12-15) on the blue, plus names like Bob Sanguinetti, Andre Gragnani and Justin Krueger (Ralph’s boy) on the blue. Their goaltender tonight will probably be Dan Ellis–he of the league leading .948 save percentage.

Barons are 9-5-1-1 with 20 points, and trail Charlotte (the Checkers are in the South division this year) by 6 points with a game in hand.

This should be an outstanding hockey game! It’s Hockey Night in Charlotte! Enjoy!

73 Responses to "OKC V CHARLOTTE 24.11.12"

1. sliderule says:

2010 was a terrific draft for Carolina.

Skinner at 7 and Faulk at 37.

We had a shot at Faulk but went with Pitlick.

2. oilersfan says:

Stu Macgregor was on Stauffer’s show about a month ago and I emailed in asking about Plante and Nash. Bob actually asked him what his role was in picking them. His answer was that he was part of the scouting staff at the time and he owns that they haven’t turned out as planned.

I maintain he is a fairly average head scout.

the day they picked Musil, I had posted the night before and the morning before they did it that they should take Brandon Saad. He dropped because of a groin injury but was ranked top 5 by Bob Mackenzie before the season and top 10 at Christmas. He played 40 games with a sore groin and went from 2 points per game to barely a point per game. Now last year he ends in the top 5 in the OHL in scoring and is the power forward they so desperately covet.

Meanwhile they go desperately looking for a power forward when Matt Finn is available and they take Moroz?

How much better would this team be with Matt Finn and Brandon Saad than with Musil and Moroz?

On Corey Prongman’s top 100 not in the NHL Saad is 19 and Finn top 40. Neither Musil nor Moroz are in his top 100.

If Musil makes it it will be as a bottom pairing PK specialist ala Peckham and Teubert. Not sure we needed another one of those.

So, add the above to Curtis Hamilton and the Plante/Nash fiasco and I don’t know what we have. Granted Eberle was a great pick and Marincin/Gernat look to be good too. But picking 31 overall twice and 32nd should get you more than 2 fourth liners and a bottom pairing guy in 3 cracks at it. Not much better than our Mexican headscout Fraser over 20 years with nothing to show for it imo.

PS my daugher is the cutest girl in the world.

3. Bruce McCurdy says:

sliderule:
    2010 was a terrific draft for Carolina.

Skinner at 7 and Faulk at 37.

We had a shot at Faulk but went with Pitlick.

We also had a shot at Skinner but went with Hall.

4. Giant Squid Overlord says:

oilersfan,

Sorry Oilersfan,I may be biased, but I have to say that you are completely making assumptions without regard to all the facts…

…MY daughter is the cutest girl in the world.

5. EricRodgers_AHLBarons says:

A reminder that it’s an earlier start time for the game tonight, being on the east coast. 6 central/5 mountain.

6. oilersfan says:

i assume we all agree on the following statement “my daughter is the cutest girl in the world”

7. Giant Squid Overlord says:

oilersfan,

Can’t argue with that.

8. oilgreg says:

Oilersfan:
    I was hoping for the same picks you were! Well, I would have been staisfied with Saad or Jenner. Jenner based on being a good-sized centre.

Not taking Finn begs the question: Can you have too many d ? I think the injuries to Gernat & Klefbom have answered that question rather clearly.
    The other question the Oilers must answer to: If one player is clearly superior (in this case Finn), how can you justify not taking him?

The ‘picking based on need’ (ie. someone with potential to become an upgrade for Eager) is what the late rounds are for.

9. oilgreg says:

Bruce McCurdy: We also had a shot at Skinner but went with Hall.

You can take your Skinner. I take Hall. Not even close.

EricRodgers_AHLBarons:

Thanks, Eric!

oilgreg: You can take your Skinner. I take Hall. Not even close.

I don’t think Bruce was making that point.

12. oilgreg says:

Sarcasm – get it now.

oilgreg:
    Sarcasm – get it now.

gotta watch those old guys. :-)

14. Lois Lowe says:

EricRodgers_AHLBarons:

The personal touch to PR. I like it.

15. DeadmanWaking says:

At some point I’m expecting the Nuge to make some brisk inroads into reducing his defensive miscues 5-on-5. According to what I’ve filtered from /cult-of-hockey-4/ he also contributes his fair share of plus level defensive recoveries. He can do the brilliant on defense, but can not yet routinely perform the ordinary. Geniuses. They make for lousy Kraft Singles. Perhaps we should send the Nuge for a conditioning assignment in the Ultrasonic Homogenizer. When he returns, he’d be almost a genius at everything. Wouldn’t that be better? Wouldn’t we all rest easier knowing he won’t muff the defensive zone face off? Wouldn’t the Kaiser Permanente Powerplay be just a small loss?

Apropos of my theme yesterday, I find Decertifying union dangerous step for players.

On the ownership side, you have a group that has treated its constituents with an enormous amount of arrogance, secure in the knowledge the fans will come back. And they will because their love for the game exceeds their disdain for those who run it.

This is another zipper on my one-trick pony from yesterday, which I expressed as a protracted meditation on love as its own worst enemy. Of course it’s dangerous. Your adversary is addicted to maximizing certainty. If you have more stomach for risk, excellent leverage. More power to you.

He then goes on to say something where I take a distinctly contrary view:

Now I’m no labor expert, but I’d have to think that when the lawmakers in both Canada and the United States drew up the laws governing decertification of unions, they did so in order to protect workers against unions that were corrupt or inept.

It’s not the impression I came away with from Roger Noll on the Economics of Sports (I’ve posted this link once before).

If the players are getting bullied every five to seven years like clock-work, I find hard to argue that the players union serves their purpose. It’s just a matter of taking the long view.

Once they conclude that the owners are more terrified of the dissolution of the players union that they are, who really cares what scenarios were envisioned by the people who originally drafted the law? There were probably lawyers thinking to themselves “How badly does this bugger fundamental antitrust protections? Well, maybe not so badly so long as we leave this provision for them to opt back out.” We have no way of knowing lawyers with the power to derail the bill as passed ever made a list in their heads about scenarios where they might choose to pull the rip cord. In the movie Apollo 13 did they reject the clever idea to route electricity backwards because it never been conceived by the original designers?

I think the principle is that the only case where freedom to contract can be voluntarily constrained is when it is in fact voluntarily constrained. It’s no longer a voluntary constraint if once you put the shackle on, you can no longer discard it. The league would like to argue that the decision to form the union was a one-off. I can see this argument used in court, but I can’t see it ultimately winning the day. The way this tends to work out, in my very rough model of things, is that the wheels of law grind slowly on the small stuff, and exceeding slowly on the large stuff. This is large stuff. The large, slow wheel will eventually prevail. The league might enjoy a few short term victories on the small wheels–and even if knowing that this can’t last–might choose this strategy merely for leverage. The bastards! Don’t they know that obtaining leverage in negotiations was not conceived by the original lawmakers?

“And (the NHL) would argue the same thing, that decertification is a sham,” Macramalla said. “(They’ll maintain) it’s akin to switching a light switch on and off. ‘I’m a union, but now it’s no longer convenient, so I hit the light switch and I’m no longer a union.’ So their argument will be that it’s a sham designed to extract leverage in CBA negotiations and for no other reasons.”

This argument might have a grain of truth if the players weren’t entitled to this leverage in the first place. It’s unfortunate that the money bags who own the franchises can’t let well enough alone with the workable agreement they reached on the last iteration (plus or minus some fixes for what Minnesota has done). Of course you have to threaten to walk out of a relationship “like a light switch” if that’s the only mechanism that keeps your spouse off the abusive bottle.

What other union would stand up for the rights of a member who is guilty of workplace violence against another member?

The police, the military, the French Foreign Legion, anyone in the business of manufacturing an union adorned with epaulets. These people beat the shit out of each other on a regular basis. Internal matter, don’t you know. And unlike the men in blue, for hockey players, thuggery pays well. That would be a distinction worth noting if this weren’t The Hockey News.

The players will only maintain decertification as a legitimate threat so long as Bettman continues his abusive delay tactic of walking away from the table. I’m not so caught up in the narrative that he who has power deserves power to view an exemption to antitrust law through such a narrow lens.

I think MacT will do wonders with Nuge, but is anyone concerned that he might say something like, “now Ryan, we’ve covered even strength, the PK and faceoffs. Lets discuss my PP ideas!”

ACK! :-)

17. Lois Lowe says:

MacT has already ruined Yakupov.

18. EricRodgers_AHLBarons says:

Lois Lowe,

I do what I can :)

19. Hayek says:

Sorry to be that guy, but does anyone have a link for the game to be viewed?

Salma: Nothing yet, but someone always finds something. :-)

21. Hayek says:

Salma: Nothing yet, but someone always finds something.

Lol, name is in reference to Friedrich Hayek, but Selma ain’t bad either…

Scratches for #OKCBarons: Zahn, Davidson, Pitlick, Green, Tyrvainen, Martindale, House, and gametime decision between Abney & Byers (ill)

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

Lines for #OKCBarons: Hall-RNH-Eberle; Paajarvi-Lander-Teemu; Rajala-Arco-Cornet; Byers or Abney-Vandy-Hamilton

7m Oklahoma City Barons Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

Yann Danis leads out the #OKCBarons for tonight’s contest at Charlotte. Justin Peters in net for Charlotte. Cornet is his familiar No. 15

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

Defence pairings for #OKCBarons: Marincin & Schultz; Fedun & Teubert; Plante & Henry

Retweet
    Favorite

Hayek: Lol, name is in reference to Friedrich Hayek, but Selma ain’t bad either…

I keep forgetting there are smart people here. Although Friedrich could wear a pair of glasses, I’ll say that much

Paul Branecky ‏@PaulBranecky

OKC using big guns Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins and Hall on same line. Oilers coach Ralph Krueger back in town to watch them go against son Justin
    Retweeted by Patricia Teter

Retweet
    Favorite

28. Marc says:

oilersfan:

I maintain he is a fairly average head scout.

Approximately 60% of first round picks manage to play 200 games in the NHL. Only 25% of second round picks play even 200 games. Even if we assume that successful second round draft picks are more likely to be found at the beginning of a round than the end (I’ve not seen any numbers that either support or undermine that assumption), you would expect an average head scout to come up with perhaps 2 players who play 200 games in the NHL out of 5 high second round picks. A good head scout might find 3 players out of 5 high second round picks.

If Stu has turned 2 31st picks and 32nd pick into 2 NHL fourth liners and a bottom pairing NHL defenceman we should be doing cartwheels – that not average, it’s exceptional.

The idea that a team has somehow failed if doesn’t turn high second picks into not just NHL players, but top 6 forwards/top 4 d, is laughable. It has absolutely no basis in reality.

29. DeadmanWaking says:

I should perhaps have made it more clear that what would not exist without the collective capitulation of a players union is the draft structure. Without a CBA, any prospect or player not already under contract would be free to negotiate with any franchise. This is how the rest of the world works, outside of sports. The Yankees, of course, would destroy such a league in a heartbeat. No other owner would want the burden of owning a franchise that never attracts a star player, certainly not badly enough to finance a facility on private investment. (If the city or the state government can be coaxed into providing you with a facility for free, that’s a different proposition. Even losing looks good once you gain possession of a $300 million popcorn and wiener machine rent free.)

Eric Lindros had an interesting personal take that the draft concession should apply to N-1 franchises, excepting exactly the franchise that picked him. Here’s where one can introject a valid argument that the players can’t have it both ways. The problem with bogus metaphors such as “light switch” is that they do have a valid sphere of application and thus fool many sleepy stormtroopers when misapplied.

What really made athletes wealthy is the advent of electronic media. The union was a practical way to sit down and divide the windfall. There’s no reason going forward that small rinks can’t offer better visual feeds over the internet than national sports networks. A statistic commonly repeated is that viewers of Fox News have less accurate knowledge of world affairs than people reporting that they have no news source at all. Yet again I’m reading a book with bad news for big TV. In Thinking Fast and Slow Daniel Kahneman encapsulates research by a fellow named Todorov with the words “As expected, the effect of facial competence on voting is about three times larger for information-poor and TV-prone voters who watch a great deal of television.” To exude competence to the incompetent, one needs a face with a “strong chin and a slight confident-appearing smile”. In other words, you don’t want the megawatt glare of JoLo, Steven Tyler, or Mariah Carey. Cowell wore out two pens before finally confessing “I’m not going to lie about this … I always said the No. 1 person I wanted on one of these shows was Britney. … Britney is quite mean, which you’ll soon discover.” He’s making an assumption here that I own a television capable of receiving such a signal. Well, if I had a gun locker … it would contain guns … not reasons to own one.

We’re not stuck in the technological era that first brought us broadcast television. The Google Car could probably already do a better job than the average AHL network feed with just a small rework. Do you think the Google Car drives around nearly accident-free in San Francisco watching the Jumbotron after the light changes and play resumes?

What the league actually brings to the table is A) extorting expensive facilities from small communities injecting big heaps of taxpayer dollars, B) those enormous network television deals.

Q: Why do women have two breasts and only one flavour?
    A: So that Molson Coors can brew the One True Flavour in 50 million gallon tuns.

Strangely, the same logic didn’t apply to Baskin-Robbins. Smaller TV contract, I guess.

I just keep thinking the league should be far more grateful for the present state of affairs than they seem to be, as reflected in their bargaining tactics. They hold no long-term monopoly over mass audience without the players on side.

30. danny says:

I’m a big fan of Taylor Hall.

Nuge though…. I think he’s the guy that will emerge as the driver of bus 2.0.

Kinda like choosing between Owen Nolan & Mike Modano. The OHL linebacker vs the WHL wizard.

Fun times ahead.

Danny: I have kind of the same feeling, although along with Nuge rising I’ve added a “what if Nail really is that player who scored at will before his injuury?”

32. Rocknrolla says:

late scratch Taylor Hall…anyone know why?

33. Rocknrolla says:

Hall back in. Announcers made error.

Is the death penalty available in N Carolina?

35. jfry says:

Anyone with a link that isn’t double audio?

36. stevezie says:

Rajala continuing to look not bad; Eberle setting up Henry didn’t turn into anything but it was a terrific set-up. I couldn’t even get mad at Henry- reminded me too much of something I would do.

37. jp says:

Is the death penalty available in N Carolina?

It is.

Wow on the Henry non-call followed by a penalty drawn by Arcobello… Are the zebras going to get lynched?

38. stevezie says:

I find it ironic that the famously terrible AHL camera work would be a lot better if they tried less hard. Just one camera zoomed out would provide a lot more clarity than awkward cuts and clumsy zoom ins.

That’s a great point. We miss a lot with the steering committee.

That was a helluva period. wow.

41. Rocknrolla says:

Still wondering why sportsnet isn’t doing these weekend games in HD. I guess there’s one on tonight. Wolves, But you’ve got to think there’s a market for this one. They have 4 channels.

These feeds are tough to watch!

42. stevezie says:

I’m sure we’re probably watching the same double audio feed, but the Charlotte announcer called it the best period he thinks the building has ever seen.

43. jfry says:

Faulk is a talent

44. Rocknrolla says:

Nice kill

45. jfry says:

You can sorta tell rajala has been playing in a notoriously tougher league and been trying to be bigger. I find him easy to cheer for…what a mountain he has to climb to make it though

46. jp says:

Stepped away for a few minutes. Did I just see Rajala out on the PK?

47. jfry says:

Schultz, playing centre on that play

48. stevezie says:

jp,

Yes, but he came out of the box to do it. Acquainted himself pretty well too, or well enough.
    I’ve been pretty impressed with every OKC forward tonight, but if I had to pick one who jumped out it would be Teemu. Doing what he needs to do.

49. DSF says:

Paajarvi giveaway.

50. sliderule says:

@Bruce Mccurdy
    In 2010 our choice at first pick was Hall or Seguin.

The 31st pick you had a choice of probably five or six Pitlick and Faulk being among them.

You hire scouts to make the good pick.Or as some say just throw a dart at board.I think the oil might have better luck with a dart.

51. dessert1111 says:

stevezie:
    jp,

Agreed on Teemu. That 2nd line seems to be pinning the opposition in their zone again tonight, and even if they aren’t scoring, that would be a lovely thing for a grinder line to do in the bigs

52. regwald says:

DSF:
    Paajarvi giveaway.

Paajarvi is only a -1. Lander is -2 as per AHL game summary.

53. Rocknrolla says:

Eberle with the ahl goal of the year WOW!

54. RickDeckard says:

I find it hard to not like the Pitlick pick with the info available at the time. He’d just scored .5PPG in the NCAA, was a big RH center and was projected to be a first round pick.

55. danny says:

wow. What a freakin goal.

For anyone that wants a good Barons feed, hockeystreams.net has a really good service. HD feed available and you can even switch between home/away audio feeds. $15 a month.

56. dessert1111 says:

I wish Nelson would stop putting Plante and Henry out there so much. They have made a lot of mistakes and I’m tired of holding my breath

57. Oilanderp says:

Fun to listen to the Checkers commentators talk about what a great job they are doing containing the Nuge, Hall, Ebs line. *cough* lol

58. stevezie says:

Rocknrolla:
    Eberle with the ahl goal of the year WOW!

I wanted to finish reading my article before I turned the game back on.

The article is still there.

59. stevezie says:

Good thing you can score, #7.

60. Oilanderp says:

That post sure has a great 5×5 sv%! Sign it Tamby.

61. dessert1111 says:

Lander almost with his first point there lol

62. Oilanderp says:

We should put Roy in for the first two periods then put Danis in to stop the final 30 shots in the 3rd period of every game.

I enjoyed that game very much. Taylor Hall. Whew.

Rieder with 2As tonight

65. Gerta Rauss says:

danny,

Thanks for the heads up re:hockeystreams-at 47 years of age a man shouldn’t have to squint at a grainy laptop-I’m going to check it out for a month. It’s not like the NHL wants my money or anything.

66. commonfan14 says:

DeadmanWaking: Under anti-trust law, a players union is a mechanism whereby a group of people can collectively relinquish their right of free contract if it suits their purposes to do so. Otherwise, documents such as the CBA would constitute illegal constraints on trade.

Bearing in mind that I know nothing about trade law, this kind of statement hasn’t made much sense to me since all the de-cert talk started. There’s nothing forcing hockey players to play in the NHL. There are plenty of other options available to them – as many of the locked-out players are demonstrating now.

Isn’t there somewhat of a case to be made that a hockey player deciding to sign an NHL contract that’s bound by the CBA isn’t all that different from a computer programmer signing a contract with Microsoft that’s bound by its HR policies? The programmer may have wanted to work in Seattle, but Microsoft HQ I’m guessing can send him wherever it wants during the contract term, after which he’s free to go work for another company if he wants.

And didn’t the Radulov case show that even a signed NHL contract can’t prevent a player from bolting to and playing for a rival league before the contract has expired?

I understand that it must all be based on the idea that the teams themselves constitute separate businesses and the NHL is a marketplace that’s being restricted by the CBA, but isn’t the NHL more like a single business in most ways? Less so than Tim Hortons being a single business with many franchises I suppose – but maybe not a total world apart from it? It certainly seems a lot closer to that than to the NHL being like the coffee business and the different teams being like Tim’s, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc.

If Tim Hortons developed a structure with its union that controlled what stores each employee was eligible to work for and prevented them from just quitting one and signing with another Tim’s store, would that be illegal?

Just because the teams play games against each other, keep score and one gets awarded a trophy every year, that doesn’t mean that they’re truly in competition with each other business-wise, does it? That “competition” is the product they’re selling, but they’re all in business together selling it, right?.

I mean, the Sabres and Sharks might bid against each other for FAs, but that’s an internal NHL process and they’re still partners in the same business. It’s a lot different than if the KHL were to get involved and sign the player away.

There’s no law saying that the top Major Junior prospects have to show up to the NHL draft or acknowledge the league in any way. Some people didn’t want to draft Yakupov just because they thought there was a realistic chance that he wouldn’t end up deciding to play in the NHL. I know we don’t apply this thinking to North American-born kids, but that’s really not based on anything other than our own biases. A KHL team could easily draft Nathan McKinnon and throw an enormous offer at him that he’d have a hard time turning down.

So since there are other pro leagues that elite hockey players can easily play in other than the NHL, I don’t know why the NHL’s rules can constitute a barrier to trade for players that chose to play in it.

Is it really just because there’s no true rival pro hockey league in North America? When the NHL is international anyway and we see all the time just how easy it is for the players to play in other countries?

Seems like a very 20th century perspective.

67. RickDeckard says:

commonfan14,

My opinion as well, it’s not as if the Central Hockey League doesn’t exist either.

68. Captain Obvious says:

Omark is crushing the Swiss league. I just thought I’d point that out.

As to Commonfan’s opinion above, I think he’s identified the crux of the issue. That said, while no one knows how the law would decide, my view is exactly the opposite. Each team is separately owned. As such, a salary cap is akin to McDonald’s and Wendy’s colluding to restrict wages at their “restaurants.” A clear restriction on the free movement of labour, aka price-fixing, and obviously illegal.

There are rationales that the NHL, or other businesses, can use to justify this kind of behaviour but I find them wholly unconvincing. If you think about it, what the NHL does is outrageous without the consent of the players. It is incumbent upon the NHL to make it worth the players while to consent to the huge restrictions the CBA imposes upon them. The only room for gray here is if the NHL is losing money since the only reason the NHL exists is to make money. Since the NHL makes money, there is no room for gray here.

69. spoiler says:

Video highlight of the sweet-lookin Eberle goal.

70. stevezie says:

spoiler,

You’re a good man, as is Eberle for walking around a pretty transparent knee attempt. (I don’t think it would have been dangerous at those speeds, but still).

71. spoiler says:

I’d buy ankle trip. That stuff happens all the time. It’s part instinct to do so, especially when you realize you’re going to get beat.

I put it up more because I’m in awe of Ebs. People keep saying he doesn’t have the upside of the three 1sts, and probably he doesn’t. But he never ceases to amaze. And its rare that such statements are actually true, but in this case it is. The kid is a human highlight reel. And ice seems to run through his veins. So what the hell is his upside? He’s our Anderson compared to the Mess/Kurr/Gretz level of the three 1sts? Mork was known as clutch too. (not saying they are those players, just indicating tiers of talent).

****

I’m getting curious to know if LT is going to rank Khaira ahead of Zharkov. Maybe ahead of Rieder. Can he pass Musil, Lander?

I’m also curious to know how much he nicks Gernat.