OKC V CHARLOTTE 25.11.12

This is getting a little crazy. The Barons are beginning to separate from opponents–even the very good ones like Charlotte–with scoring frenzies that remind me of the Boys on the Bus. They’ve also scored consistently–in the last 9 periods of hockey, the Barons have scored in 8 of them (missing only last night’s first period).

Three of the top 4 scorers in the AHL this morning are Barons:

1. Justin Schultz 17, 9-16-25
  2. Jordan Eberle 17, 9-14-23
  3. Braydon Schenn 17, 9-13-22
  4. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 16, 8-12-20

Secondary scoring is a bit of a concern, but the club is getting a trickle from Harski and Paajarvi, plus Marincin has been lucky and good in these games. In the last three games, 14 skaters have had a hand in those 15 goals:

1. Taylor Hall 1-7-8
  2. Jordan Eberle 3-4-7
  3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 3-3-6
  4. Justin Schultz 2-3-5
  5. Teemu Hartikainen 1-2-3
  6. Martin Marincin 1-2-3
  7. Magnus Paajarvi 0-2-2
  8. Taylor Fedun 1-0-1
  9. Curtis Hamilton 1-0-1
  10. Toni Rajala 1-0-1
  11. Colten Teubert 1-0-1
  12. Dane Byers 0-1-1
  13. Alex Plante 0-1-1
  14. Mark Arcobello 0-1-1

There are other factors, too. After a substandard start, Yann Danis is playing very well, with game SP’s this week of .977, .946, .852 and .939. I still think the Oilers make a dreadful mistake with their blue–they never, not ever, not at any time–have enough experience no matter the level in their organization.

Having said that, the Marincin-Schultz and Teubert-Fedun pairings appear to be working well, and one hopes Alex Plante (now -6) recovers at some point.

Finally, a word about Anton Lander. At some point, I believe the club should consider sending him to Stockton or back to the SEL to regain his confidence. Whatever is happening to him in OKC, this isn’t working. 13 games into the season, he’s in a battle with Yann Danis for the bottom of the scoring table.

Keeping Lander in the NHL last season was a disaster. All around.

104 Responses to "OKC V CHARLOTTE 25.11.12"

1. striatic says:

agreed RE Lander.

he’s never going to score given the position he’s in right now and could use additional minutes elsewhere. he needs to be putting up a modicum of offense even in a fourth line role, let alone a third line role.

send him to Stockton.

2. BoysontheBus says:

2 assists for Yak this morning. The kids just keep rolling along.

3. JakeOiler says:

The same can be said for Pitlick and Hamilton, me thinks…I think I was expecting more offense from both of them. Especially given the opportunity to be on the ice with the wunderkids from time to time…Hamilton looks to be a checking, PK specialist right now-which is a good thing but a little more offense was expected. Pitlick looks strong, big and works the wall well but again, no offense. With Rajala and Cornet back up, we could send all 3 to Stockton…could be a beast of a line and a confidence boost for them with a little success.

4. jp says:

I think Lander picks up an A this afternoon to pull ahead of Danis. I don’t think they should send him down or back to Sweden. He hasn’t played well, but he looks to me like an AHL player who’s snakebit. He’s getting opportunity and TOI as 2C. It’s not as though he’s playing 4th line minutes and looking like he doesn’t belong like he did with the Oilers last year. I’d stick with him a bit longer.

5. Hayek says:

BoysontheBus:
    2 assists for Yak this morning. The kids just keep rolling along.

Only 13:27 off ice time and 1 SOG today though. Nice that he got 2 powerplay assists though. Since I don’t watch the games, I’m just hoping to see him continue on his 4 shots/game.

6. ItsTheBGB says:

I wonder how hard OKC will be hit when the four wonderkids leave. After being pulled in a wagon they’ll have to get out and walk on their own.

7. Hayek says:

ItsTheBGB,

So true, no Omark, Moran there this year, along with no new talent scoring next to Paajarvi.

Theres two ways to look at it. The kids who stay in OKC will get more of a push. For instance, Hamilton has a goal this week (shorthanded) and if he’d been playing regular minutes maybe he picks up an assist too. Frankly, I’ve been very impressed with both Hamilton and Pitlick–not a lot of results but a lot of try.

Lander too, but holy hell something has to go in or he’s going to be doing a man on a ledge act.

9. rich says:

@ITSTHEBGB:

I don’t think we’ll have to worry about that until next season (what happens when the 4 wonderkids leave).

It’s nice to see them knock the cover off the ball. Then add Yak and a year of maturity, this could be a very good year up front. Methinks the real issue for 2013-14 will be finding a goaltender because the person who’ll be impacted most by the lost season of 2012-13 will be DD.

10. striatic says:

rich:
    @ITSTHEBGB:

It’s nice to see them knock the cover off the ball.Then add Yak and a year of maturity, this could be a very good year up front.Methinks the real issue for 2013-14 will be finding a goaltender because the person who’ll be impacted most by the lost season of 2012-13 will be DD.

what’s DD got to do to get a job somewhere?

i’ve heard that in order to play in the ECHL he would have to effectively pay to play, in order to insure his pay-day contract against injury.

is there not anyone out there willing to pay him enough to cover his insurance costs or something?

11. ItsTheBGB says:

striatic,

DARRYL KATZ!!!!!! ;)

12. Oilanderp says:

Matt Mitchell, head equipment manager of the OKC Barons, was seen cutting then welding last night’s post once it was discovered that different nets were to be used in the forthcoming game. “It did everything we could ask it to do last night, plus it’s great in the room,” commented Mitchell. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” After an impressive 1.000 save percentage performance in last night’s game, the Baron’s coaching staff hopes it continues. The post had no comment, but made a great sound when struck with a puck.

13. rickithebear says:

For Me its Marincin. 20 yr old >6PPG dman. and 1PPG in last 5 games.
    20 year old Dmen in AHL
    Blum 6’1″ .50
    07-08
    Letang 5’11″ .70
    M.A. Gragnani 6’2″ .67
    05-06
    M. Green 6’2″ .77
    Yup work on that d young man!

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

Lines for #OKCBarons: Hall-RNH-Eberle; Paajarvi-Lander-Teemu; Hamilton-Arco-Cornet; Byers-VandeVelde-Rajala

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

#OKCBarons defence pairings: Marincin & Schultz; Fedun & Teubert; Plante & Henry

15. dessert1111 says:

Anyone having more luck than me finding a feed? First row doesn’t have it. The afternoon games have been hard to find.

16. ItsTheBGB says:

atdhe doesn’t have it either.

17. dessert1111 says:

And missed Lander scoring!

Lander! Finally! Who called it?

JP called it. Good call, JP!

Lander (Paajarvi)

21. Oilertown says:

There’s a huge weight lifted off Landers shoulders

22. jp says:

JP called it. Good call, JP!

Ha! Good for him!

23. Rocknrolla says:

dessert1111,

Decided to spring for the $15.99 for one month of hockeystreams.com.

I’m up and running right away and the video is substantially better than the other streams. It’s still AHL live, but a bit clearer.

Thank god the audio is perfect. And you can pick the barons audio feed. I’m happy.

24. mustang says:

Rocknrolla:
    dessert1111,

Decided to spring for the $15.99 for one month of hockeystreams.com.

I agree I got this also, and it’s worth the $15 I think

VandeVelde (Schultz). 2-1 Barons.

26. mustang says:

Lander and VV have scored for the Barons, 2-1 Barons lead

Eberle the Great (Schultz, Hall) 3-1 Barons. 2 points for Schultz.

Lordy.

28. dessert1111 says:

I’ll have to check out hockeystreams. Thanks for the info! I really wanted to watch hockey today so I ended up buying AHL live and noticed the quality seems to be a bit improved too. And that was a beautiful goal by Eberle so I’m glad I saw it!

29. Hayek says:

I wonder if this Eberle kid can hack it in the NHL though. He’s kinda small, kinda soft. It’s nice he is putting up points in the AHL, but I think someone like Byers would be the first callup. He’s got grit, and wow do those Edmonton fans like grit…

30. eidy says:

my hockey stream isn’t working for AHL. can get all the junior games. anyone else having problems?

31. dessert1111 says:

My god these dancing women are attractive. The cheerleaders aren’t bad either.

32. Rocknrolla says:

dessert1111,

Yes, I think these guys use the ahl stream, but since they are in the Netherlands are avoiding copyright law. So I am guessing it is the same feed, but at full bandwidth.

The other nice thing about this hockeystreams is that it’s for the month, or 3 or 6 if you want. So it works out to like a buck a game. Vs. the $7 a game ahl live.

There is also a nice feature for those of us who are addicted to pvr hockey. You can rewind, pause and fast forward the stream. So you can replay the goals and big hits. No slo mo, but still quite useful for enjoying the game.

33. HeyJakel says:

Hayek,

Plus, 10 goals on 45 shots? That shooting percentage is unsustainable…

Well this is pro season 3 and his shooting percentages are 11.4, 18.9 and so far this year 22.2%. Now that’s an AHL total, but Bill James always said wait three years for an established level. If he ends up at 15% and shoots 200 times a season, that’s 30 a year. If he averages 18% and shoots 200 times that’s 36 goals a year.

Either way, he’s amazing.

35. Oilertown says:

Very nice looking ladys in charelotte

36. OilLeak says:

Damn was that Plante with the terrible penalty?

Henry, I believe.

38. OilLeak says:

Dalpe is quite the player

39. striatic says:

this team is fun : ]

Byers (Marincin, Schultz) and now Schultz scores. Holy hell, locusts are on the way.

41. Giant Squid Overlord says:

4 pts Schultz! Holy hell! <- I guess I must read you too much LT, I'm starting to think like you and use the same phrases.

42. OilLeak says:

Crazy

43. gogliano says:

Lander (Paajarvi)

Not sure if this is legit as I’m not watching but scoresheet has (added?) an assist for Hartikainen.

44. Kaiser Permanante Power Play says:

Holy hell this amazing.

45. Rocknrolla says:

Wow Schultz with another apple and then puts one in…just another 4 point night!

46. Oilanderp says:

Feels like 1980…….2. Except older.

47. mustang says:

Wow, I do believe #5 might be alright

48. OilLeak says:

Schultz can’t keep this up, can he?

49. delooper says:

I don’t have a feed, but it seems with the exception of Eberle tonight is secondary scoring night for OKC. Nice to see. Hopefully Schultz has three assists tonight…

50. delooper says:

I guess I should wish Schultz more three point nights..

51. Oilanderp says:

Radio is good enough for me: http://www.live365.com/index.live

52. striatic says:

scoring frenzies is right.

would like to see Nuge pick up a point somewhere along the line. just because.

hopefully the boys can keep this going and claw to the top of the standings.

53. striatic says:

this is disgustingly good.

chased Ellis. love it.

54. OilLeak says:

EBERLE IS GOD!

55. Rocknrolla says:

Wow Ebs has some hands. What a drive to the net too!

This IS fun!

Eberle (Marincin). We’re through the looking glass here people.

57. Rocknrolla says:

Did anyone see that little move by Schultz to keep the puck in on the PP there. Spun around and tipped the puck effortlessly like he was toying with the defender.

Sublime move.

58. Rocknrolla says:

Hey LT, who is the guy on twitter counting face offs for the barons. Seem to recall you posting his work earlier but can’t seem to find it.

59. oilersfan says:

I am really thinking Marincin, after two more years in the minors, will be well on the road to a high end top 4 dman. Give him these 2.5 years to get better defensively, learn his position and angles, gain some weight, and with his skating and passing he will be an outstanding dman long term, imo.

Rocknrolla:

Thats the home games iirc. Might be Neal Livingston (tend the farm).

61. OilLeak says:

Rocknrolla:

Sublime move.

It was a great move, the PP movement is on another level right now, the kids are hitting light speed now. However, Hall still looks like he needs more time to round into form, he still looks slightly off. Lockout has been tough for the fans, but it’s definitely been good for the Oilers young stars.

62. HeyJakel says:

Yeah, my Eberle comment was supposed to be in jest, since (Selma) Hayek had just (I assume also in jest) implied Eberle was too small for the NHL.

Every time I read an Eberle shooting percentage article, the fanboy in me dies a little ;)

63. dessert1111 says:

Rocknrolla:
    dessert1111,

Thanks, I’ll think I’ll try it in time for next game!

64. OilShorts says:

OilLeak: However, Hall still looks like he needs more time to round into form, he still looks slightly off.Lockout has been tough for the fans, but it’s definitely been good for the Oilers young stars.

He may be looking rusty, but he now has 11 points in his last 4 games!

65. bendelson says:

Is the box score accurate?
    Faulk is – 5?

Ouch.

66. BoysontheBus says:

Wow I just noticed Justin Faulk is a -5. Rough night

67. BoysontheBus says:

bendelson,

Beat me to it

68. OilLeak says:

These Charlotte announcers are hilarious.

69. OilLeak says:

OilShorts: He may be looking rusty, but he now has 11 points in his last 4 games!

A rusty Hall is still better then 95% of the AHL

HeyJakel:

Well, I think you can take heart from Eberle’s performance. One of the things that shooting percentage needs is more seasons, so if he’s going to drop a 22% AHL season into the equation that is also part of the study.

Maybe he IS Joey Mullen or Mike Bossy. But it wasn’t reasonable to expect 22% in the AHL this season, I don’t think.

71. Hayek says:

Hall needs one more point to jump into 20th in AHL scoring….in 10 games.

Hartikainen (Paajarvi). Two lines rolling.

73. OilLeak says:

Paajarvi with a very nice game, I wonder how he would do at centre?

74. crude says:

Are they saying Lander scored that or Hati?

75. rich says:

Radio announcer said Harski.

No points from the Nuge today? Maybe it’s time to send him to Stockton too? (I kid, I kid).

76. striatic says:

it is HOW Eberle scores that makes me think he naturally a high SH% player. he has that ability to consistently and accurately elevate the puck in a way that seems perfectly suited to butterfly era goaltending.

the way he essentially *placed* the puck *through* Peters last game looked so effortless that is is difficult to believe there was too much luck at play. the only way he doesn’t put that in is if he gets poke checked, in which case there is no knock against his SH%.

77. stevezie says:

BoysontheBus,

You don’t worry about Bendelson. He’ll get his.

78. Gazmort says:

It’s so weird how DSF never shows up on days like today!

How was Paajarvi’s day?

79. striatic says:

between Harti and PRV, who was at LW today?

looks like they were on the same line, so wondering who went where.

80. dohfOs says:

Lowetide: Thats the home games iirc. Might be Neal Livingston (tend the farm).

Pretty sure it’s Eric (@AHLBarons)

81. gr8one says:

Super bummed that I didn’t pay closer attention to the schedule seeing as I live only about a 2.5 hour drive to Charlotte and could have done an overnight road trip and seen both games…FACK!!!!

82. striatic says:

BoysontheBus: Faulk

also took 3 minor penalties in a row.

brutal game.

83. striatic says:

gr8one,

they’ll be back.

84. stevezie says:

I just noticed we struck out on the PP, which is bad, but still managed to score seven, which is very very good.

Hall’s assist totals shopw him to be an elite play maker. We can safely trade Nuge now. In all seriousness I find Hall’s performance to be the best news because it means he survived the surgery.

85. Lucinius says:

Good for Lander to get his first. His boxcars don’t really reflect his play this year (same with Paajarvi, imo). Since those two were combined with Harski as the second line they’ve really seemed to click and drive possession.

Really liking Marincin, as well. Sure he’s paired with Schultz, the bastard child of Paul Coffey, but outside of the, very expected, occasional defensive chaos he’s adapted to the AHL level of play very well and driven more than a few plays himself.

The scoring leader chart may look very interesting at the season’s end if the lockout doesn’t end. Could end up with 4-6 Barons on it (Schultz, Eberle, RNH, Hall and then a shot for Harski or Paajarvi if they continue to play this well, but the latter two being long-shots).

dohfOs: Pretty sure it’s Eric (@AHLBarons)

Dammit youre right.

87. Marc says:

The last pro hockey team I recall finishing season with three of the top four scoring leaders in their league was the 85/86 Oilers. And one of those guys was a defenceman too.

Just saying.

88. Rebilled says:

These wins are gonna keep piling up. Like, big piles.

89. Marc says:

The Barons are going to lose to Abbotsford in the first round of the playoffs when Marincin banks the game winning goal off the back of Danis’ leg, aren’t they?

Dammit.

90. EricRodgers_AHLBarons says:

Lowetide: Dammit youre right.

Ouch LT, I see how it is :p

91. gd says:

Marc,

Actually it would be in the second round of the playoffs. I would be ecstatic if Maracin has Steve Smith’s career.

ps: Does anyone know if any dman has lead a NA pro hockey league in scoring besides Orr?

EricRodgers_AHLBarons: Ouch LT, I see how it is :p

hey, I’m old, forget everything. :-)

93. Kris11 says:

Schultz is still on pace to do a Bobby Orr on the AHL (as I remarked a while ago). I still don’t think he can do it over the whole season, but it is impressve as heck (not as impressive as Orr doing it in the NHl, mind you) that he is getting this far.

94. Kris11 says:

LT,

Did you remember your pills? Aways impossible to remember your pills.

95. speeds says:

Marc:

Just saying.

3 of the top 4 from one team, and the other two making up the top 5 from another single team as well.

That’s the team I remember from my youth. Didn’t win Stanley, but they were killers.

97. DSF says:

Gazmort:
    It’s so weird how DSF never shows up on days like today!

How was Paajarvi’s day?

Here I am.

Your point?

98. gr8one says:

Holy shitaki….that’s ridiculous.

99. stevezie says:

This might seem an obvious question, but how? How did that team not win everything there was to win?

100. ItsTheBGB says:

stevezie,

Was Don Cherry the coach?

101. Rocknrolla says:

gr8one,

Ouch missed opportunity! Now you will have to spend some dough and make up for it with another road trip. I did the abbotsford trip and it was well worth it.

stevezie:

They’d won in 1970 and would win again in 1972. The Bruins had the Habs on the ropes in their series but went out partying and then crapped the bed in G2 (I think it was) after handling them easily in G1. Reason? Sanderson and a bunch of the other guys went out drinking, Sanderson tells the story himself.

When he tells it, Sanderson talks about coming back into the dressing room. Orr was staring at him and he knew–Orr knew–it was Sanderson and Sanderson couldn’t look at him. I’m not doing the story justice, Sanderson tells it like a country song.

103. Gazmort says:

DSF,

Exactly.

Think about it.

104. JAG-041 says:

I know you keep talking about the centre/winger pairings
    but I think Kruger should keep Schultz with Nuge and Eberle as often as possible also
    Holy smokes