OKC V HEAT 10.11.12

Lots of empty Pepto bottles from here to Abbotsford this morning, and the young dream team (minor league edition) looks like the south end of a northbound horse.

The Barons–in terms of raw talent–are this horse at the 1973 Belmont. The Heat are represented by the pack. So, if your studly crew gets mashed by the plough horses there can only be a few reasons:

• work ethic
  • coaching
  • discipline
  • fatigue
  • inexperience
  • craptastic goaltending

It can’t be talent, we know the Oilers have two #1 overalls in the lineup plus Eberle and Schultz. Those 4 alone should be good enough to kill on the powerplay. However, I saw a lot of individual efforts last night 5×4, and that doesn’t work against an experienced group like the Heat.

Work ethic (imo) was an issue last night. Not everyone was a passenger but it was pretty damn close. Coaching was an issue because those lines didn’t work worth a tinker’s damn–I wonder if the high foreheads gave Nelson some input since they were in town. It did look like a bizarre reaction to one poor offensive game, and Nelson tends to be more measured in his lines and pairings.

Discipline–penalties against–usually results from poor work ethic. I think there was a lot of try last night, but it was pointed in a poor direction. Lots of individual plays, very little of the “let the puck do the work” brilliance we expect from such supreme talent.

Fatigue? Don’t know. Maybe they rode a Greyhound from OKC and they were tired.

Inexperience? That’s on the organization. Adding Henry on the blue was a smart move but should have been done long ago.

Craptastic goaltending? The Barons were shorthanded 9 times last night and that’s too many. Still, Danis’ .894 SP doesn’t exactly strike fear in the opposition.

I think the major factor has to do with shelter. The Barons don’t have the experience to hide all the young blue. Who knew?

132 Responses to "OKC V HEAT 10.11.12"

1. spoiler says:

Still, Danis’ .894 SP doesn’t exactly strike fear in the opposition.

Can’t know exactly, but I’d suggest his EV SP last night was stellar.

I’m gonna put the game down to travel, which is helluva lot harder at the AHL level than at the NHL level. That first day playing when you normally would be sleeping isn’t easy either.

The only real concern I have about last night is the PP, but as you said LT, they looked disjointed and individual, the kind of trouble travel and time zones does to teams.

It’s important to see how they respond… Do they dig deep? Do they sacrifice to win? And when it comes down to it, how much do we want the big 4 to sacrifice to win? How much are the big 4 sacrificing? I think there’s a reason Harski and Pitlick have looked like the most interested players most nights. They still have a hunger motivating them.

2. spoiler says:

And Big Red was one helluva horse. The Thoroughbred.

3. regwald says:

Well, as Oilers fans we should get used to the unsheltered rookie dmen. It will be coming to a hockey arena near you soon – if Bettman and Fehr ever get over their pissing match.

I don’t see the Oilers being any smarter with handling young dmen in the coming years. It saves the Management group from having to improve via good pro scouting and a trade. And actually given our confidence in them is it better to wait for Musil and Klefbom and Marincin and Schultz than to see them give away Yak for a nearly ready dman that doesn’t pan out ?

4. skidplate says:

Excellent song choice LT. Don’t know why I am thinking of Henri Richard right now though.

5. skidplate says:

I am optimistic that the Barons lay a lickin` on the Heat tonight. Our HopE left a last year, now we are left with what we thouht was a loaded AHL team.

6. OilClog says:

I’m going to hold off on passing judgement against the Oilers and their young D until they’re being bombarded in the bigs.. Only one of these Barons is on the big roster when the season ever starts :(

I wonder if there is any way to bring Boris Mironov, Luke Richardson, and Marchment in for some how to play tough defence under fire and be a nasty SOB while you’re at it. I miss those mid ice Boris collisions. What was that leafs player name that got turned into slush by Boris? still one of the best hits I’ve ever seen.

7. Bruce McCurdy says:

A little concerning to see special teams outscored 5-0 over past 2 games. That’s a double fail.

regwald: I don’t see the Oilers being any smarter with handling young dmen in the coming years. It saves the Management group from having to improve via good pro scouting and a trade.

Last year Oilers gave all of 27 GP to defencemen younger than 24. While you and I might not be thrilled with the quality of the guys they traded for / signed (Sutton, Schultz / Potter, esp Barker) at least it gave them the chance to develop the likes of Teubert and Plante in the A rather than completely abandoning them to the wolves in the bigs. In a perfect world Teubert would have gotten the whole season in OKC, but in a perfect world Oilers wouldn’t have had 4 defencemen on the shelf simultaneously either.

As for the 24-year-olds, Petry, Peckham and Chorney, how exactly should the Oilers have handled them “smarter”? Clearly Petry >>>> Peckham >>>> Chorney, and they were given ice time and role — and in Chorney’s case, walking papers — more or less appropriate with that. Which of those guys do you feel has been brought along too fast?

8. jp says:

OilClog:

Yeah, miss all those guys.

Looks like the leafs player BoBo crushed was Dave Gagner, Sam’s daddy.

9. regwald says:

Bruce McCurdy,

10. sliderule says:

It looks to me that the oilers that are going to start the year in NHL if they ever get it going are ok.They are not ripping it up but the lines have been jumbled and there is probably some careful play on their part.

What’s of concern to me is the play of the secondary players.Pitlick and MPS are getting a push with good line mates and yet they haven’t done dick.They seem to give the effort but have no results.the scary part is that they might not be all that good and we really need at least one of them to be a player.

11. jp says:

sliderule:

Both points are certainly true. The majority of Oilers playing in the AHL (as well as overseas) are doing pretty well. The hopefuls not so much.

Looking forward to tonight’s game on TV (those AHL feeds are ugly). Luckily didn’t watch much of last night’s mess, but hopefully its motivation for a better effort tonight. Abbotsford has been as good as any team in the AHL so far – if the Barons expect to be a top team they need to be able to beat these guys. We will see…

12. Bruce McCurdy says:

regwald: Tambo broadcast the plan last year at the season ticket holder’s meet and greet. He put out the idea that they were waiting for their young dmen.

That seems true enough. We still are waiting.

regwald: As for last year, you make an excellent point about the 27 games. The follow up point is they still did not address their dmen issues in the NHL last year. Barker was a huge failure. Petry and Smid took a step forward which was a bonus. The rest represents a lack of organizational depth for dmen or the inability to acquire NHL caliber dmen. Seems they have no problem adding a bunch of depth defenders who are 5, 6 or 7 dmen, but still hold out hope on Whitney to rebound, etc.

Petry and Smid stepped forward in part because the void was there for them to step into. Whether we agree with it or not, the Oilers did address the issue of Gilbert, reaching a decision on him and trading him for another NHL-calibre dman. Whitney’s health issues persisted all year and he only became marginally effective in the closing weeks of the season. Given his contract status I’m not sure what the org could have done differently, a trade wasn’t really an option and a buyout didn’t (& doesn’t) make a lot of sense.

The rest of the D were indeed 5, 6 or 7 (or 8-17) types, with a lot of those guys being what I’d call “placeholders”, which is what you’re apt to be stuck with while waiting for your young d-men. (Especially if you’re tanking while you wait.)

Barker was a fail, no doubt. I didn’t like the signing and never liked the player I saw on the ice. The Only redeeming aspect was the one-year nature of the contract. See ya.

regwald: My bet is that we won’t see a revamped group of dmen in Edmonton whenever the NHL returns. In fact, I think poor performance by the NHL dmen will accelerate graduating young dmen to the show.

It didn’t last year. This Next Whatever year it is clear we’ll see JSchultz graduate right away, but I don’t anticipate seeing much of Marincin, Fedun, Davidson etc. anytime soon … Teubert will likely be next in line, and that’s because he has been getting some of the necessary seasoning at the AHL level. Remains to be seen whether he’s got what it takes, but I expect we’ll be given the chance to find out. Similarly, in the (hypothetical) future I don’t expect to find Musil in the mix right away, though Klefbom might follow an accelerated path. I don’t think you or I can say that he is/isn’t capable of doing that, but the org has to be open to the possibility that some of thse guys but not all of them might possibly be fast-tracked.

regwald: As for protecting and allowing dmen to grow last year in the AHL, is that true or is that just the fact they had no quality defenders that they could call up ?

Well, they had no NHL-ready d-men. Teubert wasn’t ready at 21, and who knows maybe he never will be, but he got a few cups of coffee that now are part of his experience/resume. He’s following a pro development curve that’s not too different from Theo Peckham’s, and it will take time before we “know” either way. Alex Plante has followed a similar path, though the writing may be on the wall there. In the meantime, the org brought in Andy Sutton to mentor these guys and to play NHL minutes while they developed in the A, a strategy the Oil clearly wanted to continue this year given the Sutton extension, but which is now unlikely due to his off-season injury. These stay-at-home types are almost always long-term projects, with short-cutting nearly always carrying a hefty price tag even when things work out. (See: Smid, Ladi)

Corey Potter on the other hand was so ready that he just made the Oil right out of camp … of course he’d already put in hundreds of minor league games in other organizations. He still had his warts, mind you, not my idea of real “quality” but he did fit under the general category of organizational depth. Just with all the injuries in camp he effectively got called up right at the beginning of the season.

13. Marc says:

UK based folks, it appears that ESPN America will be re-broadcasting this game tomorrow afternoon.

14. HiddenDarts says:

Last night’s OKC performance was, in scientific terms, a “ball of stink”. Really, really bad. I frankly didn’t know what I was watching half of the time, and the other half I felt like I was watching the final two games of the Oilers’ 2009-2010 season.

I really, really have no problem with Yann Danis, though. With a relatively foreign concept called “defense”, he would be an all star. With the way the blue is treating him, it seems like there’s some kind of long-term practical joke currently being played. And that joke is on him.

And us.

Eric Rodgers ‏@AHLBarons

RT @ryandittrick Head Coach Todd Nelson says Arcobello & Fedun are back in tonight. Looks like Tyrvainen & Marincin coming out

16. Oilanderp says:

Tyrvainen got caught at least once last night on a penalty, the infraction of which noone (read myself or those biased err sitting around me) saw. Glad Arcobello is on though. Marincin made a few bad breakout passes last night but I can’t damn him for it. Happy to see Fedun get a chance tonight.

Tambi would not be blamed if he were quoted as muttering under his breath that the level of compete wasn’t there in game one.

At least once during the previous game that I noticed MPS surprisingly making hits and finishing checks when he could have easily turned around and headed back up ice. Encouraging. Many times I saw opportunities for the Barons to do that but was disappointed. Other names that seemed positive in this ‘physicality’ category were Pitlick, Byers, and Teubert. Perhaps it is just the fact that I am sitting behind a computer and therefore can’t assess the defensive risks involved with going for a bodycheck that I say WE NEED MORE OF THAT. I hope I see some tonight.

If it’s not hitting (and it better be) then at least TRY!

The funny thing is that we spent the entire night in the box, yet to my untrained eye we didn’t do much hitting and grinding to explain it. If you’re going to pay the toll, at least drive on the damn highway.

Good luck Barons! See you there!

Sceduled scratches for #OKCBarons: Davidson, Green & Martindale (not on trip); Ringwald, Tyrvainen, Marincin & Abney (healthy)

Oklahoma City Barons ‏@OKC_Barons

Defence pairings for #OKCBarons: Fedun & Schultz; Zahn & Teubert; Plante & Henry

#OKCBarons lines: Hall-RNH-Eberle; Paajarvi-Lander-Teemu; Hamilton-Arco-Pitlick; Byers-Vandy-House

20. eidy says:

It makes sense to go back to the power line tonight. I would have left teemu there with ebs and nuge (who really should be together for the foreseeable future). I also wish they would have arco in a more feature role and drop lander back one. maybe MPS and lander will have some tre konor magic. but Hall-arco-MPS might be an alright line. for sure vandevelde was not the answer 5 on 5. He did do nice work on the PK.

excited to see shultz and fedun together. and it would be nice if plante knocked some of the concrete off his feet before he stepped on the ice

Yeah, makes more sense based on forward lines. Arcobello is a solid 5×5 player in the AHL, so his slotting makes sense imo (a line you can count on).

Plante/Henry may be an adventure.

22. jfry says:

Overall these lines look like they’re built to compete and there’s some sense of purpose. Lastnight seemed so random.

The heat are a team where you see the value of vets. Never thought id say this during a “regular season” but I can’t wait for josh green to get back. Byers has been underwhelming given his positive track record in the ahl

23. Derek says:

First televised Oilers(ish) game of the season and we have listen to these chucklefucks? Bury me. Bury me deep.

24. SK Oiler Fan says:

No pressure AHL….only been waiting for a decent Sat night hockey game to watch since March….and I’ve been driven to drinking by myself tonight by 3 terrors on short legs who’s total age adds up to 11.

25. SK Oiler Fan says:

Derek,

you said it….I want Gene!

26. SK Oiler Fan says:

Hmmmm seems funny to see a #7 on the back of a Blue and Orange uni

27. striatic says:

someone i was traveling with up to the game fucking left their fucking passport at home and didn’t realize it until we were halfway there, had to turn around, hit traffic and suddenly making it to the game was impossible.

so upset right now. saw our great seats [bought first day they were available] empty on the broadcast stream and had to shut it off.

how do you forget your fucking passport on an international trip!?

28. spoiler says:

Decent play by Plante on Baertschi on his last shift.

29. jp says:

jfry,

You know it’s on Sportsnet too right?

striatic,

Shitty…

30. spoiler says:

Good shift, Scandis

31. jp says:

Hall’s been great at missing sticks with his passes this year…

Decent game so far though.

32. Alpine says:

Does Paajarvi cheat for defense so much that he has to hang out in between our defense when we have possession on the offensive zone? Or is that something Nelson has implemented, that being a “super high” guy?

33. SK Oiler Fan says:

Love Harti’s game along the wall – Smyth like.

striatic:

how do you forget your fucking passport on an international trip!?

Jesus. That’s horrible. Sorry, man.

35. dessert1111 says:

They look much better than yesterday but I’m also worried that I’m just optimistic from seeing better production value than AHL live

Dessert: Barons are 500 times better than last night. This is a pretty damn good road period.

37. SK Oiler Fan says:

Liked Fedun’s game – He threw one grenade to Eberle late in the period otherwise some really quick, heady passes. Hope he makes it all the way back.

38. striatic says:

it’s like missing your favourite band’s show when they never get to play your town.

getting seats to a saturday night oilers vs. canucks game is pretty much the only chance we have to watch the oilers live, and those tickets are incredibly difficult to get and hella’ expensive.

39. Rebilled says:

Better ‘passing’ and ‘shooting’ would be good.

40. Derek says:

This is the barons team I’ve been expecting to see every time I tune into one of those grainy AHL Live feeds. Do the big boys need a spanking by a rival affiliate and a national telecast to show up?

I liked the Harti-Paajarvi combo that period and Pitlick looks to be using his wheels well.

41. striatic says:

Derek:
    This is the barons team I’ve been expecting to see every time I tune into one of those grainy AHL Live feeds.Do the big boys need a spanking by a rival affiliate and a national telecast to show up?

apparently.

they were playing this well at the end of the third period last night as well.

hopefully they just needed a little embarrassment.

42. SK Oiler Fan says:

Assuming Pitlick remains healthy I think he eats Hamilton’s lunch. Hamilton or Pitlick don’t have first 2 line offense (evidence – Hamilton missing the net from 12 ft out), but Hamilton just doesn’t have the aggressiveness / speed combination of Pitlick…. considering the Oilers management’s criteria for the 3rd-4th lines.

43. dessert1111 says:

SK Oiler Fan:
    Assuming Pitlick remains healthy I think he eatsHamilton’s lunch. Hamilton or Pitlick don’thave first 2 line offense (evidence – Hamilton missing the net from 12 ft out), but Hamilton just doesn’t have the aggressiveness / speed combination of Pitlick…. considering the Oilers management’s criteria for the 3rd-4th lines.

To play GM I’d package him with someone if/once he puts together a solid stream of games for a a defender

44. ASkoreyko says:

Its very encouraging to see Pitlick playing like this. I get the feeling that the Oilers are finally communicating with their prospects and Pitlick seems to know exactly what type of game he needs to play.

If he keeps skating and hitting like this the Oilers management will give him every opportunity in the world to become a useful NHL player.

45. dessert1111 says:

I like House the best out of the fourth line. Arcobello’s having a good game too. Those guys don’t get enough credit for the work they do.

Hoe did that not go in? Lordy.

47. delooper says:

Eberle is looking a little out of it tonight. Missed shot. Earlier didn’t skate to his pass.

48. spoiler says:

Looked like Ebs jammed himself a bit trying to find a hole thru the Dman.

That’s why Arcobello is an AHL player.

50. Derek says:

Arcobello ran himself outta room there.

51. jp says:

SK Oiler Fan:

Pitlick certainly looks like he can be a solid bottom 6 NHLer. His lack of production as a pro so far is really quite concerning though. Hamilton has looked pretty decent tonight too, but I don’t disagree that Pitlick may well be better.

52. Alpine says:

I keep having to check that Arcobello isn’t Eberle. Holy sweet mitts.

53. jp says:

That’s why Arcobello is an AHL player.

AND he’s a smurf.

54. spoiler says:

Taylor sure doesn’t allow many second shots. I think you could count them on one finger and a thumb this game.

55. dessert1111 says:

That’s why Arcobello is an AHL player.

Yeah he needs to pull the trigger there

56. SK Oiler Fan says:

$15 / ticket? Best bang for your buck in sports.

Musil with a goal for the OK tonight,

58. jp says:

Ahhh Teubert :(

59. Derek says:

Baertschi gonna have a rough career in hockey with a face on his chest.

60. jp says:

Is Moroz injured? Not in the game tonight or last night…

61. dessert1111 says:

House should’ve got a shot off there too. Excellent work on the PK though.

62. Rebilled says:

I hate that delay of game call on a midair deflection.

jp:
    Is Moroz injured? Not in the game tonight or last night…

Yes. He’ll miss the Russia-CHl tour.

64. jp says:

Lowetide: Yes. He’ll miss the Russia-CHl tour.

Thanks, and too bad.

The Barons gotta score, but big PKs there.

65. sliderule says:

Watching this team reminds me that we finished tied for 20th last in goals last year.

In all the talk about how bad our defense was last year we have to remember that we have trouble scoring.

Yakupov will help the scoring but they better not trade some of their scoring for a marginal upgrade to our defense.Just in case thats what the WOW trade is.

66. spoiler says:

Nope… just fluttered off the end of Eberle”s stick.

67. SK Oiler Fan says:

Shultz the younger = Niedermayer light. Efficient, calm, good stick, great positioning, plays whole game with his head up.

Haven’t noticed Nuge much tonight.

Arcobello does look like eberle out there – quick hands.

68. spoiler says:

Ya gotta like the thought processes of that whazisname on defense.

69. Cowboy says:

I have been following this blog for sometime and figured maybe someone could answer a question about the NHLPA.
    How do players like Chris Campoli and Mathieu Darche who so not have contracts therefore are at this time are former players allowed to be at the meetings? In my view they have no right to be at a union meeting, I cannot go to the Sask teachers union meetings since I now work in Alberta.
    And if they are allowed can all former players?

Very sorry for the thread jack but it was bugging me

70. spoiler says:

That was the one.

71. SK Oiler Fan says:

Man Zahn has terrible positioning – the mddle of the ice is almost always avaialable with him

72. jp says:

Nice! Classic Hall goal!!

73. SK Oiler Fan says:

Wow – what a roof job

74. spoiler says:

Phour Phenoms have been pushing hard for a goal all game. Phinally rewarded.

75. Rebilled says:

Their penalty kill might be good Calgary bias commentator, but that PP was pretty good in the NHL last year.

Nice reeby by Hall.

76. spoiler says:

May the Schwartz be with you!

77. Rebilled says:

Gotta love that Oiler chant in B.C.!

78. DeadmanWaking says:

The Phour Phenoms of the postpockalypse pot a puck for pickled peepers.

79. Gerta Rauss says:

Cowboy,

Just a guess but maybe they can be union members in good standing(and paying dues) but still be UFA’s at the same time..?

And I’m glad the Barons didn’t come all the way to Abbotsford and get skunked both games.

80. spoiler says:

Please pass that pot of properly pickled peepers. I’m peckish.

81. spoiler says:

If someone at the game could gently car bomb the press box, I’d appreciate it.

82. SK Oiler Fan says:

Mehh..I’d group Henry in with Zahn after my limited viewing. LT nailed it – this team needs D

83. Rebilled says:

Presently, pretty positively pickled.

84. spoiler says:

See Teubert tap Zahn to get active there?

85. Rebilled says:

Funny that we had the fall for Hall because Hall falls a lot.

86. spoiler says:

I was really hoping to sleep under a clean sheet tonight.

87. Derek says:

I wish I was drunk.

88. SK Oiler Fan says:

I don’t care how tired Schultz and Fedun were – they should have been on for that D-zone face-off

89. Lucinius says:

It was an icing.

90. spoiler says:

Schultz paired with Teubert for the final minute, taking the left side.

91. SK Oiler Fan says:

Fk – Is Renney behind the bench? – no clue in their own zone late in the game. Both D out to lunch and VDV in no mans land staring at the puck – Fin frustrating – not one man did their job on that sequence.

92. icecastles says:

Well, now it feels like Oilers hockey. Sigh.

93. Derek says:

Thank you Justin Schultz. Crisis averted.

94. spoiler says:

YEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH BAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBYYY

95. SK Oiler Fan says:

Lucinius,

Oh, thanks. There’s the Shultz wrister
    SK Oiler Fan,

96. Rebilled says:

Schultz for Prez!

Schultz has a nice release. Like a fucking colt .45

98. icecastles says:

Goddamnit. Either Live365 radio feed is on a delay compared to the video, or Derek and SK Oiler Fan have about 20 seconds of prescience.

Either way, at least it ended well. Still hoping to see that top line blow up the scoring before long. I can see a lot of games being high-scoring in both directions as the season progresses.

99. spoiler says:

I think my managers have taken over the CBA negotiating. Now the two sides are meeting to decide whether to have a meeting.

100. SK Oiler Fan says:

Go Riders!

Icecastles: I think its a matter of timing. 2/3′s of the line are dealing with health issues (Hall, Nuge) but these guys are just so supremely skilled its a matter of time.

SK Oiler Fan:
    Go Riders!

My wife insists I give you a shoutout. So. Shoutout. :-)

103. icecastles says:

LT: completely agreed. It will take a little bit to get the lead out and find their groove again, but there’s no doubt it will come, and it will be glorious. They might still lose quite a few games, but at least the excitement factor will be there.

104. SK Oiler Fan says:

Lowetide: My wife insists I give you a shoutout. So. Shoutout.

Hey, it’s bred into us Saskies. I’ll chear like hell, but I wouldn’t bet $100 on the Riders tomorrow. I wouldn’t bet $5 on the Eskies ;)

I wouldn’t bet a plug nickel on the Eskimos.; I’m not even sure I want them to win. What a horrible 12 months for this franchise.

106. icecastles says:

On the plus side, Esks are top ten in the entire league. AND they will draft in the top ten in the offseason!

107. spoiler says:

I thought Lander was having his best game of the season till he let his man pot the tying goal.

108. DeadmanWaking says:

I’m reading a book which states–much to my surprise–that the vast majority of the universe is so distant from anything at all (larger than a hydrogen atom) that not a single star would be visible to the naked eye.

Turns out that galaxies are hard to see, even from the Milky Way, which itself lies in a relatively crowded region of space, and all of these are named after chunky-bun Greek gods, as one would rightly and truly expect.

But no, hold your toga, just coming over the newswire … The Baby Boom Galaxy was discovered and characterized in Eberle’s draft year using a battalion of roadscouts receptive to different stridelengths … so named because it generates over 4,000 possession changes per year, compared to an average of just 10 per year for the Minne Way.

It’s apparent distant is 12.2 billion light years when viewed from the far side of the unbridgeable void.

109. spoiler says:

I wonder how long it will take our national sports channels to re-name Hall of Fame Day to Mats Sundin Day?

110. spoiler says:

SNL… Nice dress, Ms. Hathaway.

111. Oilanderp says:

Nice. Just got back from the game and BOY was it a shorter adventure back to our hotel than last night!

My stars:

Plante; Several times I saw him not only effectively rub his man out ‘last-year Gilbert’ style, but he actually pinched aggressively more than twice and kept the play alive extremely well. Only once did I think he needs to improve his skating, and I think that’s only because I don’t watch him in person enough. My only access has been what others type about him.

Lander: Made so many little plays that only defensive lunatics like me can appreciate directly. Cut his game with short, crisp one-time passes. Nice cycling down low by the ‘Scandanavian Line’ as my ol lady puts it. Got burned once and it counted, but that’s hockey. He played very ‘team’ ; making the simple play, 9/10 times never giving his check a chance. Pretty much average, simple, unselfish, dtermined hockey. This is what we want.

Goats:

Hall: made more than one garbage fancy boy pass when he had to complete the breakout early in the game. Made up for it even before he scored the first goal by skating around during the pre-period skate with the referee most of the time, talking to him. Something the ref said to Hall made him laugh. They skated apart, the ref letting his comment sink in. They re-connected on the next loop around and he talked about who knows what ‘sheldon how’s yer kids’ stuff. Both nodded at each other when they skated away. Hall immediately went to the bench for soemthing I couldn’t see for 30 seconds.

Honorable mention: Hamilton – hit bodies, killed penalties, nothing fancy +++ As good as Pitlick has been (and Pitlick was good tonight too) except kills penalties.

112. Oilanderp says:

P.S. Shultz!

Everyone loves a finisher, except my ol lady

EDIT: It is a lovely give and give ‘and then I have earned a beer and a game’ relationship. I love hockey.

113. mumbai max says:

Oilanderp,

Message to ‘the ol lady’

Finland is not part of Scandinavia. Just ask any Finn!

Scandinavia = Denmark, Sweden, Norway

Nordic Countries = the three above, plus Iceland and Finland

114. Oilanderp says:

By the way gentlemen,

I don’t know if they caught this on the broadcast or not but,

and I shit you not,

The OKC Barons stayed after the Heat left; YES on the ice; and slauted the crowd with their sticks, there were so many Oil fans present. We cheered and we cheered. Heat fans left complaining about Schultz and we cheered.

THEY SALUTED THE CROWD in the OTHER GUY’S ARENA.

To cheering fans. I love the Oil.

115. Oilanderp says:

OMFG the ol lady just reminded me: We can testify in court that MacT, Buchberger, and Chabot were present. With our own reserved yet excited eyes.

Big night I guess and they grinded it out.

116. Oilanderp says:

mumbai max,

I didn’t pass this message on to my ‘ol lady’ as it would result in points deducted. Today I earned uncountable points by driving to Abbotsford’s 6 second-hand stores. Tomorrow on the drive back it’s IKEA. Doesn’t matter, she HUMS while we’re doing this. I win.

All apologies to the Nordic lads. I look forward to our battles in the future.

117. mumbai max says:

Oilanderp,

You can save it for some moment in the future when you need to score some come back points.

118. Oilanderp says:

OK the ‘ol lady’ reads this too and do you know how cold it is at night in Abbotsford?

119. Oilanderp says:

Never mind her. Did I mention that Fedun made some CRISP passes? I was very impressed. Can’t believe I didn’t mention Fedun. Craaaazy good passes. This is no depth d-man. Seriously. Tonight? Better than Schultz passes. Risky yes, TAPE TO TAPE stuff. The kind that say a Hall wouldn’t have to spray ice and turn back for.

Where’s this Hathaway dress photo? I can’t find it dammit.

121. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Oilanderp: lol. Great comments. For me and mine, its old book stores. When we go on vacation, I’m sure to be on some obscure street in “Old something-cona” waiting on her and her books. MAJOR good books points, its all good. Where’s this Hathaway dress photo? I can’t find it dammit.

She hosted SNL just last night so will be tough to find. Was actually a decent episode (apparently elections provide good fodder). This site is the only reference I could find and the one picture neither does Ms. Hathaway or her dress justice. And it appears the video they posted has already been taken down. No one defends their property rights more diligently than the clowns at SNL.

122. spoiler says:

I keep trying to post a link, but my posts don’t show up.

Might be in your spam filter.

123. spoiler says:

Unforced fumble. That’s the Eskimos I know and love.

124. Marc says:

I’m considering sending a thank-you card to ESPN America for showing the OKC game this afternoon, followed by the Eskies-Argos game. An unexpected treat for UK based fans.

Of course actually watching the Eskimos isn’t quite the treat I was anticipating…

125. Marc says:

In fact, I might just turn it off now.

Have they been this bad all season?

spoiler: I posted the last one, got caught in spam.

spoiler: She hosted SNL just last night so will be tough to find.Was actually a decent episode (apparently elections provide good fodder). This site is the only reference I could find and the one picture neither does Ms. Hathaway or her dress justice.And it appears the video they posted has already been taken down. No one defends their property rights more diligently than the clowns at SNL.

Damn. Cute new haircut, too.

128. spoiler says:

Lowetide: Damn. Cute new haircut, too.

She looked and sounded divine. Like Audrey Hepburn without the waif.