SUBWAY SUPER SERIES G2: RUSSIA V QMJHL

The Russians came out like Georgy Zhukov with attitude  in game one, with our Russian Nail Yakupov scoring a tremendous goal scorer’s goal, adding an assist and generally looking like  genuine ridiculous talent.

I don’t think we’ll know what they hell we’ve got for some time, hell I don’t think we’re absolutely certain about Nuge or Taylor Hall. However, the signs are just so good.

We get another glimpse of the future tonight. And not just for the Oilers. In game 1, Yakupov, Mikhail Grigorenko, Maxim Shalunov, Mikhail Naumenkov, Valentin Zykov and Alexander Khokhlachev each scored for Russia and the team looks exceptional. 2013 eligible Valeri Nichushkin plays tonight.

The Q will make a better show of it tonight, but the Russians look strong this year. Nathan MacKinnon will play with Jonathan Drouin and William Carrier, that info courtesy Bob McKenzie. Zharkov gets his chance tomorrow night.

27 Responses to "SUBWAY SUPER SERIES G2: RUSSIA V QMJHL"

1. Reg Dunlop says:

Yakupov has WHEELS. Maybe faster than Hall and maybe more aware on the ice and less likely to get filled in when the NHL returns.

Yakupov I thought created a lot of space on that SH goal.

I liked Yakupov mixing it up there in that scrum. He’s clearly a target, might as well make the other guy uncomfortable. Let ‘em know you’re there!

4. Rocknrolla says:

Anyone have a link, I am at the office still and want to watch.

Sorry, bud. I can’t find one.

6. Rocknrolla says:

Thanks for looking LT, ps, how do you put a picture up for your avatar? tried to find a way to do it a couple times?

7. hunter1909 says:

Watching the game, online feed, it’s in Russian. I’m cheering for Yakupov’s team, lol. First time I ever cheered against a Canadian hockey team. Hilarious.

Prediction: Taylor Hall facing off to start an Olympic gold medal game, against Nail Yakupov and Russia. Oiler’s top LW against one of their top RWs. Yikes.

RocknRolla: No idea. The only reason I have on is that I’m also at Oilers Nation and added it over there. Someone else can probably help, though. I’m hopeless with this stuff. :-)

9. BlacqueJacque says:

In five words, this game:

Nathan MacKinnon’s coming out party.

10. spoiler says:

LT,

I believe you need to add a plug-in to the site to allow user profiles and avatars.

Those users who have a global avatar from other WordPress sites will still have an avatar pic show when they log in.

I think.

Programming is not my area of expertise though so maybe someone else can advise better.

11. delooper says:

I haven’t seen much of the game but so far it looks like the Pocciyans got into some penalty trouble and Liga Krebek brought a better game.

12. spoiler says:

Dirty Russians have looked out of synch all game, like each player has his own time zone.

I liked the look on the Kapitan’s face when he came off after his last shift, when they couldn’t clear the zone. Kid wants to score and wants to win.

2, 1-2-3 +2 for the phenom against the Q. Tomorrow it’ll be the 2nd of btb, but its his old hometown so hopefully we’ll see a show.

14. DSF says:

Huberdeau is the phenom.

No, DSF, YOU’RE the phenom.

16. spoiler says:

I’m getting the Edmonton — Kelowna game on Shaw 303 HDSP.

17. spoiler says:

Also appears to be on Shaw 10.

Good job promoting it! Jeebus.

19. spoiler says:

I had Collberg, Aberg and Finn all in the first round on my list, so would’ve been much happier if one of them had been picked, but in my first real viewing of Moroz, I didn’t mind his game. He made a nice play on the second goal, driving the puck deep and drawing both defensemen, leaving Ewanyk to pot a goal wide open in the front of net.

Getting Moroz quality ice time is going to be difficult, given that the Kings are focused on winning, and thus giving senior guys like Wruck plenty of TOI.

Musil and Corbett struggled together, goats on the second Rocket goal, when Corbett passed out from behind his net to Musil in the slot, who, not expecting the puck, had turned his back on the pass. Slot turnovers rarely turn out happy-happy joy-joy. But this was a mistake stemming from lack of familiarity, not lack of sense or skill.

Musil also took a very aggressive interference penalty, absolutely creaming a Rocket in the corner, about ten feet from the puck. Absolutely filthy, as LT would say.

But Laxdal showed confidence in his new Dman and had Musil out for the final minute attempt at comeback, along with Lowe.

20. Rebilled says:

If we get a 20 to 30th draft pick, that Valeri Nichushkin should be looked at. Looked at by the OILERS SOON…NOW WOULD BE GOOD…THE MVP IS DONE AFTER ALL….

21. Rebilled says:

He’s listed as a forward on the October tsn list. Didn’t realize he was listed at #14.

22. Ribs says:

Rocknrolla:
    Thanks for looking LT, ps, how do you put a picture up for your avatar?tried to find a way to do it a couple times?

You just have to register with Gravatar and use the same email address/password that you use with this site. Gravatar Link

It will then work with many wordpress sites (like Oilers Nation).

23. Ribs says:

Actually, it doesn’t even need to be the same password.

24. Rocknrolla says:

Ribs,

Ribs,

Thanks Ribs, will set that up.

25. Truth says:

I believe it’s pretty clear Yakupov stirs the drink for the Russians. MacKinnon and Huberdeau look equally impressive for the Q (Drouin looked pretty good too). Given their ages I would say MacKinnon will be a far superior player to Huberdeau. Huberdeau is the same draft year as Nuge, and I think we can all imagine the points he would run up at the world juniors, nevermind this super series.

Also, it appeared that the Q was making a concerted effort to shut down Yakupov, no such effort towards the Q’s top guys from Russia from what I could tell.

The only negative thing I noticed about Yakupov and that Bob McKenzie tweeted about shortly following the game is Yakupov’s habit of sitting on the dasher waiting for the other players to get the puck to him. McKenzie mentioned that he does it sometimes for 30 seconds at a time. I believe that is a stretch, but I would like to see what the Oilers coaching staff does to remedy his obvious goal sucking. He reminds me of a shorter Ovechkin.