SUPER SUBWAY SERIES G5: RUSSIA V WHL

For Oiler fans, the WHL-Russia series this week offers a chance to see Yakupov two more times, and an opportunity to see a plethora of outstanding talent for the 2013 entry draft. Plus, the WHL is an area heavily scouted (and often drafted) by the Oilers so there’s every chance the club’s 2013 entry draft selection will be in these games.

Aside from Yakupov, Oiler picks slated to play this week include Travis Ewanyk and (injured) Mitchell Moroz. Among the 2013 draft eligibles we should be paying attention to are goalie Eric Comrie, outstanding defenseman Ryan Pulock, Oil King center Curtis Lazar and the player I’m most interested in seeing–Hunter Shinkaruk of the Medicine Hat Tigers.

Shinkaruk is a skill LW with great scoring ability. He was left off some early season top 10 lists but has been turning heads recently and is 6-4-10 in his last 5 games.

Former Oiler Blair MacDonald gives some nice scouting information here.

49 Responses to "SUPER SUBWAY SERIES G5: RUSSIA V WHL"

1. fuzzy muppet says:

After listening to KFAN in minneapolis this morning, I have firmly shifted to the side of the owners in this lockout. The players are damaging themselves by sticking with Fehr. If they had ANY sense, they would dump him ASAP. They’ve managed to take an ownership group that was fractured, and have completely united them.

This season is over unless Donald Fehr is replaced and it really is that simple.

That monster (sham of a) trade in baseball yesterday is the exact system that Donald Fehr wants and helped put in place. The NHL will be damaged beyond repair.

2. Justified says:

I’d like to see the WHL boys win these games but I’d also like to see Yakapov score a few beauties.
    Thanks for the fine video , I’ve never seen Steve Earle do this song. I love the Dwight Yoakam & kd lang version filmed here in Alberta.

3. Justified says:

I just tried to log onto BDHS several times and got a redirect to a bunch of other sites. Anyone know what’s up with that?

4. Bar_Qu says:

Justified,

Same thing for me.

5. Matt.N says:

Anyone that has strong opinions on giving tax payer money to fund a sports venue should understand what is happening in Miami right now.

I’m not saying that Darryl Katz would do this, but he could.

6. fuzzy muppet says:

Matt.N,

The difference is a salary cap floor makes it nearly impossible to do this bush league move.

7. khlhfss says:

Living in Medicine Hat and watching the Tigers play on a semi-regular basis I can tell you that Shinkaruk certainly, has been better as of late. Early in the season his play was somewhat underwhelming compared to last season and he had me questioning if his 49 goal season was the result of playing every night with Ducks prospect Emerson Etom who, I believe, was also an overager for the WHL. That said, I don’t think another undersized winger is what the oilers should be targeting with the last real addition to this rebuild. I’m hoping they add a center but I could definitely live with adding ryan pulock.

8. stevezie says:

Am I the only one who made the trek to Calgary last night? There was Neil draped in ragged glory, throwing notes like knives all around him while Crazy Horse stampeded over us and ground the audience into dust. It was beautiful.
    And he played F*ckin Up!!!
    Going home, just after Red Deer aurora was rising like thin smoke from the embers of Edmonton burning a whole in the dark prairie sky when all the sudden she exploded from horizon to horizon. I had to pull the car over and just watch the colours appear and disappear. It was a lesson on quantum mechanics projected onto the sky. It didn’t seem real. It was a good night.

It’s clear to me neither side in the labour dispute is concerned about the fans so I’m not concerned about them. The players have an excuse, they’re just labourers trying to get paid; it isn’t their job to look at the bigger picture. The owners are paid by me, and if they care they have a funny way of showing it.
    It would be different if I could change the outcome, but I can’t. I don’t care how it ends. Wake me up when it does.

Great song today LT.

fuzzy muppet:
    After listening to KFAN in minneapolis this morning, I have firmly shifted to the side of the owners in this lockout.The players are damaging themselves by sticking with Fehr.If they had ANY sense, they would dump him ASAP. They’ve managed to take an ownership group that was fractured, andhave completely united them.

That monster (sham of a) trade in baseball yesterday is the exact system that Donald Fehr wants and helped put in place.The NHL will be damaged beyond repair.

1) The NHL has a hard salary cap. 2) The players have agreed to go from 57% of HRR to 50% of HRR in short order. The players have bent over for the owners last time (#1) and this time (#2). I don’t see how anyone can side with the owners this time. I sided with the owners last time, because a salary cap is necessary.

There are no reasons for the players to give back anything on contracting. The contracting provisions/concession that Bettman is asking for is Bettman asking the players to protect the owners from the owners themselves.

We are have this lockout because of internal warfare between the owners (the rich owners don’t want to share with poor owners), and because the Bettman expansion has been a disaster. i.e. There are poor owners because Bettman expanded the NHL to ridiculous markets.

The best marketing idea for the NHL since Gretzky came from Edmonton, not from Bettman…an outdoor hockey game, and Bettman is intent on screwing over Edmonton again.

Bettman is throwing hundreds of millions of NHL dollars at Phoenix, and can’t accept a new arena 75% funded by the taxpayers and arena ticket buyers, with a loan at a favorable rate from the city for the rest.

10. Bar_Qu says:

stevezie:
    And he played F*ckin Up!!!

Great song today LT.

This is true and well said.

11. commonfan14 says:

godot10: The players have bent over for the owners last time

This idea gets a lot of play, but how true is it really? Yes, they accepted a salary cap that they really didn’t want. However, it hasn’t really hurt salaries much and in hindsight it’s fairly incredible that they thought this was an unreasonable things for the owners to ask for.

They also accepted a 24% salary rollback (an actual rollback, not what they’re dishonestly calling a rollback this time), which seems like a huge deal until you remember that only about 20% of players were actually under contract at that time since everyone saw that lockout coming. It hurt a few guys pretty bad, but had no effect at all on most.

In any case, I get tired in general of the argument that this is all about the owners trying to protect themselves from themselves, as though agents and contract negotiations don’t exist and players just have giant salaries bestowed on them by the clueless owners.

Players and their agents use every ounce of leverage available to them in getting as much money as they possibly can for every contract after the CBA is signed. Nobody faults them for this, and they’re very successful at it because they have most of the leverage.

The owners are looking to protect themselves against the players, their agents, and all that leverage the players have after the CBA is in place. The CBA negotiatioins are the only time when the owners have significantly more leverage than the players, and they’re trying to use it to their full advantage in the same way that the players do after the CBA is signed when the shoe is on the other foot.

It’s just incredible to me that the players can complain about what the owners are doing with a straight face, when they know they do the exact same thing when their opportunities come around.

12. oilabroad says:

godot10,

The players agreed to cut back to 50% of the revenue earned by the guy who payed 200M for his franchise?? sounds kinda crazy when you say it out loud…
    The contract issues they are fighting against are ones that are being used to circumvent the CBA, how as a player can you sit across the negotiating table from someone and say ‘ that is a right I don’t want to give up? ‘
    At the end of the day, can you honestly look at what the league is asking for and not say, I think this will make the league better… This will make a more level playing field… This will keep our star players (which we earned by being a bottom feeder for years) in town longer…
    None of the player demands that I have seen are for the actual betterment of the league or the game, its all about me me me… if they were really smart they would realize the shelf life on me me me is now 15% gone and they are not going to get that money back…

13. Professor Q says:

I don’t know if anyone has already posted this, but here is an article about Brian Burke and his feelings on hockey evaluation:

14. delooper says:

If any of you Lowetidinites can/want to go to the game tomorrow in Victoria, I have three pretty good tickets (4 rows away from the ice surface).

15. bookje says:

godot10: .The contracting provisions/concession that Bettman is asking for is Bettman asking the players to protect the owners from the owners themselves.

This is and always has been the purpose of such contracts. There is nothing wrong with that. The intent is to prevent pay inflation. As per expansion, I would argue that it is the high player salaries that have made certain markets unsustainable. The costs of paying players means that Cities with strong markets like Edmonton need to provide subsidies to their teams. Things got crazy in the 90′s with billionaires ‘playing’ in the NHL and driving salaries up to unsustainable levels. NHL players expect to be able to keep the insanity going, but market forces are not supporting these salaries anymore. Asking cities to subsidize teams worked for a while, but in most markets that gravy train has sailed so there is one solution – lower salaries.

The good news is he doesn’t believe in advanced stats, but the bad news is I don’t think there’s much he said that Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini would find out of line.

17. Gi JQE says:

Just my opinion..
    I would rather have the league struggle than have more revenue sharing. Revenue haring means more canadian dollars shipped to american teams that should be folded. Strickly on an economic side I do not agree with more revenue sharing. Maybe I am the only one, I love hockey, but not enough for handouts to the south.

18. Kris11 says:

My sympathies are with the players.

They are the product, they produce all the value. The only reason the owners can and do demand a bigger piece of the pie is

1. The owners refuse revenue sharing because the big money teams want to make insane profits and the small money teams want to be guaranteed a break even. (If they shared, they could all make a solid return on investment, which is fair given that they aren,t really doing anything special by owning the team. All they do is market the team.

2. The teams have bullied local politicians into giving them exclusive leases. If other owners could set up a team in 10-15 hockey loving cities that have NHL-sized arenas, this lockout would never have gotten off the ground. Some rich dude would’ve contemplated creating a startup league with NHL players while the lockout raged, and that would scare the league poopless.

I don’t think the league should be rewarded for the monopolistic practice in 2., and I think they should be punished by fans for 1. (Total revenue sharing helps in league parity, which is awesome for sports lovers, too, IMO.)

So I wish the owners would lose, but they have the hammer. Totally and entirely. The players might have to accept less than 50% of HRR if this goes until next year.

IMO.

19. Kris11 says:

Gi JQE,

This is a temporary situation. IMO

Betting against the US dollar against the Canadian dollar is, historically, not a great bet. Energy markets might guarantee a high demand for Canadian dollars, but the current imbalance in USD an CDN is unpredictable at best.

Once the dollars get closer, only TO and VAN could compete with NYC and DET or any big city US hockey market.

It was not long ago that small market CDN teams were begging for revenue sharing.

20. Kris11 says:

Man, I love Yakupov.

Already my favorite damn player in the NHL forever. And there is no NHL for him to be in. Results be damned, the kid has panache.

I hope they don’t beat it out of him. This kid is fun!

And the hits keep on coming!

23. Gi JQE says:

Great hit!

24. Gi JQE says:

Valid point. But I guess I am on the page of if there isn’t the local money…. you shouldn’t be subsidized. But I’m sure smarter people than me have weighed the odds and determined the best answer

25. wuthering says:

In case anyone didn’t know, Yakupov get’s a lot of twig on the old biscuit. Reminds me of a certain recent hall-of-fame selection. Also, M. Reilly might be the ‘steal’ of the draft.

26. Max Powers says:

Ewanyk looks good tonight, what with the bone crushing his and all.

27. RexLibris says:

Feed anywhere for this game?

On a completely unrelated note, I despise Shaw.

28. OilLeak says:

I’m not sure what the fuss is about Griffin Reinhart, he has lead feet, which wont help him in the NHL.

29. RexLibris says:

Moroz and now Ewanyk? Are you kidding me?!

30. RexLibris says:

Danke!

31. RexLibris says:

OilLeak,

Let the Islanders figure that out over the next three years and then the Oilers can trade them a 2nd rounder for him as a 2nd pairing shutdown guy opposite Schultz or Petry.

32. Professor Q says:

What’s the word on Ewanyk’s injury?

33. OilLeak says:

I despise Damien Cox talks up Morgan Rielly(Who was a steal at #5) and shits on Yakupov. The man sees what he wants, but he clearly doesn’t have a clue.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Travis Ewanyk (EDM) had a good, physical first period but has left the game with an injury (foot or ankle) and not expected to return.

35. RexLibris says:

Professor Q,

I’m hearing a hip thing. Given this is essentially an all-star game for a drafted player like him I think it is predominantly precautionary. Laxdal may have pulled him even.

He walked off on his own, and didn’t appear to be favouring anything.

36. RexLibris says:

Or you could just read LT’s bit above mine.

lol

37. Professor Q says:

Merci good sir! Hopefully it is just a bruise or something minor.

38. OilLeak says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Oh Ewanyk is injured again? Sign that kid to a contract, he’s an Edmonton Oiler already.

39. Professor Q says:

RexLibris,

Thank you for the information though! Just saw him leaving for a split second at the end there.

Also, I realise it may just be media hearsay, but would the rumours surrounding Seth Jones and Portland affect anything draft related? Do not know too much about him, follow the more Eastern guys more.

40. OilLeak says:

RexLibris:
    OilLeak,

Hmmn slow moving defenseman with a draft pedigree who will get chance after chance in the NHL, where have I heard that one before?

41. RexLibris says:

Professor Q,

Apparently this has nothing to do with Jones, he was acquired by trade with Everett (poor Silvertips), but with other unnamed prospects.

42. RexLibris says:

OilLeak,

Not sure. I’ve never Plante’d that seed in your mind, that I know.

43. Reg Dunlop says:

Too bad Yak isn’t playing tonite. What? He is?

Evenly contested, kinda scrambly. Best player so far… Shinkaruk.

Part of the attraction of Can/Rus used to be the contrasting styles. Now Russia dumps and chases too. They shouldn’t have hired John Brophy as coach.

44. RexLibris says:

Note to Stu MacGregor – don’t draft any Russian defenceman in this year’s crop.

They are incapable of making a 10-foot pass.

The Russians seem to be a puck-possession team, but to the detriment of any ability to pass the puck. Yakupov has had the best performance in that department so far, that I can see.

45. RexLibris says:

In a 5-man shootout, can the Russians just put Yakupov in the lineup five consecutive times?

46. jp says:

RexLibris:

Not sure they want to after that attempt…

47. dessert1111 says:

I thought this at the draft, but seeing them playing together now, I feel that Rielly will turn out to be a better player than Murray. Something like Yakupov > Rielly > Galchenyuk > Murray. But I guess we’ll see in 3-5 years :)