THAT’S THE WAY OF THE WORLD

Mitch Moroz will forever be compared to men like Matt Finn, Sebastian Colberg, Pontus Aberg and Lukas Sutter. That’s the Way of the World.

The Oilers were clearly high on Moroz, but what does he have to do in order to cover the draft bet? At #32 in a middling draft year, what would a solid “line in the sand” be for this player? 200 NHL games? That’s the number I’ve adopted, but if Marc Pouliot had played 200 NHL games no one (not even me!) could argue that was a winning selection.

Here are the current stats for the men who were taken 31-40:

• #32 F Mitchell Moroz 18, 4-6-10 (WHL)
  • #33 F Sebastian Collberg 16, 0-2-2 (SEL)
  • #34 D Ville Pokka 14, 2-3-5 (SM-Liiga)
  • #35 D Matt Finn 18, 7-8-15 (OHL)
  • #36 F Nicolas Kerdiles (not playing yet)
  • #37 F Pontus Aberg 19, 3-6-9 ( Allsvenskan)
  • #38  F Phil Di Giuseppe 7, 1-5-6 (NCAA)
  • #39 F Lukas Sutter 17, 2-1-3 (WHL)
  • #40 D Dylan Bjujus 18, 1-7-8 (OHL)

I’d say the best start in the group belongs to Ville Pokka or Matt Finn. Fair? I’d also say that among forwards it looks about even save for Kerdiles and Sutter (who had better junior numbers a year ago offensively but looks ragged this season), with Di Giuseppe an interesting story to follow.

Moroz has been getting some traction of late and got some attention recently when placed on a tougher minutes unit with Travis Ewanyk and Klarc Wilson. He’s among the top 6 scoring forwards on his team, is playing a physical game and playing an enforcer role with the Oil Kings.

It’s a long road to travel, but Moroz is improving on last season’s numbers across the board. He doesn’t seem to be out of step with other forwards taken directly after his selection. Long way to go but a slight uptick for the arrow.

Fair?

23 Responses to "THAT’S THE WAY OF THE WORLD"

1. sliderule says:

When they picked Moroz I was baffled.On reflection I figured because he they saw him a lot they knew something that we didn’t.

The times I have seen him since the draft he looks like JFJ reincarnated.Big body ,good skater,so so hands and not great hockey sense.

The defencemen they passed on have a better chance of being decent NHLers .

After the first round it’s a real crapshoot but that’s why scouts are hired .

2. slopitch says:

I’m fine with the Moroz pick. There is enough chance involved with development that even the smartest bets don’t pan out.

I wonder where Justin Faulk would go in a redraft in 2010. We’re all experts in hindsight.

3. oilabroad says:

I think your assessment is spot on and the way we should be viewing this player (ie his progression). I really hate seeing comparables to the guys drafted around him. He was a need pick, and other than Sutter, those other players simply didnt fill the need.

4. Truth says:

I think Moroz playing for the Oil Kings was a factor. If all else was considered equal, I’m sure the Oilers would go with a guy they have complete developmental control over.

I also think the Oilers scouts envisioned a better start for Moroz, but it’s quite clear that this type of player is in high demand for the system. Can’t fault them for picking a player type they need and have full control over outside of the first round.

5. OilTastic says:

if Mitch can show he’s actually got a scoring touch, then he won’t be seen as a questionable pick anymore and might be an upgrade on Cam Abney i’m hoping. i see no problem with taking a risky pick and picking for need in the 2nd round.

6. dessert1111 says:

I don’t mind the pick being in the system, he just still screams “3rd rounder” to me. There was better value on the board at the time. Finn, Aberg and DiGiuseppe are my picks. I know he probably wouldn’t have lasted until the third round, but it’s like Calgary taking Jankowski so early because they didn’t think he’d last to their next pick. Might very well be right, but it doesn’t make it a good pick at that slot.

That being said, there is a chance Moroz becomes the best of the guys drafted around him and I really hope he does. I just wouldn’t put money on it is all. He’ll get a push though and maybe projecting him as a 3rd line grinder isn’t a terrible thing if he can be effective in that role.

7. loosemoose says:

The Oilers should have drafted a defenceman, IMO. I think Moroz is an interesting character, but you still have to play some percentages in the second round.

If the Oilers had taken Matt Finn, fans would be doing backflips right now (I know I would be), instead of pointing out marginal upticks on a longshot pick.

I think the Oilers acted like they believed they had turned a corner, and could afford to use that pick on Moroz. I think we are still two-three years away from being in that position. These picks are still too important to be “wasted” on maybes.

The same reason the Oilers took Musil instead of Ty Rattie was almost reversed here, and it’s odd given MBS penchant for the consensus. I mean, Moroz is a player type the Oilers covet, but to draft and develop one of your own takes way too long. Given where the Oilers are in this rebuild process, this is two drafts late.

Oilers should have taken a defenceman….

8. OilTastic says:

@loosemoose…..i don’t agree that they should have taken a d-man with the Moroz pick. our system is fairly deep right now for d-men in my opinion, and perhaps the scouts thought that with Klefbom, Musil and Marincin coming soon (and now Schultz), the Oil had some good top prosects coming and we didn’t need another middle of the road d-man in the system? despite Finn’s hot start, it could be a different story by seasons end or when he turns pro.

9. OilClog says:

I like the pick, kid has a chance to work his way through the full Oilers system, any pick after the 1st few in a draft is all a game of chance. Oilers will give this kid anything he needs over the next 5yrs to become a “Lucic” and avoid another JFJ.

10. FrankenOil says:

Based on the scouting reports, I’d be happy if Moroz is Mike Grier 2.0

11. Dalton says:

loosemoose: Given where the Oilers are in this rebuild process, this is two drafts late.

Dude, the rebuild is OVAH. Didn’t you hear? Rebuild can only last maximum one more year before performance is required, otherwise things fall apart.

12. jp says:

FrankenOil:
    Based on the scouting reports, I’d be happy if Moroz is Mike Grier 2.0

Good God man! Happy indeed! I’d take a guaranteed Mike Grier with any pick of a draft outside the top 10, likely earlier. It would be a huge success if Moroz turns into Grier 2.0.

13. jp says:

OilTastic:
    @loosemoose…..i don’t agree that they should have taken a d-man with the Moroz pick. our systemis fairly deep right now for d-men in my opinion,and perhaps the scouts thought that with Klefbom, Musil and Marincin coming soon(and now Schultz), the Oil had some good top prosects coming and we didn’t need anothermiddle of the road d-man in the system? despite Finn’s hot start, it could be a different story by seasons end or when he turns pro.

Agreed here. The system is pretty full of D prospects, and aside from a big 2C what’s most lacking is some grit to compliment the skill that’s already present. You can argue whether or not Moroz was the BPA, but to me bottom 6 sandpaper (who can hopefully play a little) is a bigger organizational need right now than is D depth.

loosemoose:

Oilers should have taken a defenceman….

You make it sound like the Oilers should stop drafting entirely since they MIGHT not finish in the lottery next time hockey is played…

And I understand your point about making a safe pick vs a long shot pick, but how does that point to a D over a F? I think it’s fairly well accepted that the average development time for D is longer than forwards, so if Moroz and Finn both make the NHL (long shot I know), there’s no reason to think Finn will be a useful player before Moroz is.

14. FrankenOil says:

jp,

No kidding. We should only be so lucky. Grier, it seems, is one of those overlooked guys that were so instrumental in those plucky teams of the late 90′s and early 00′s. He was a reala treat to watch. He was never the most graceful skater (at least in terms of making turns) and his production was consistently inconsistent year-to-year but no one ever questioned Rosie’s heart or desire. I still can’t believe Slats convinced Keenan to give CuJo AND Grier for Corson.

In regards to Moroz, I’m just trying to offer more of a middle ground for Mitch. I see the “best-case” and “worst-case” scenarios tossed around a lot in regards to him. I’m just trying to offer perspective.

15. loosemoose says:

OilTastic,

If you think we have enough depth on defence, I guess we have a difference of opinion.

Moroz was “trending” late in the season, and a long playoff run helped his draft ranking.

Matt Finn was ranked late first/early second for a while, IIRC.

Beyond that, its a risk that I don’t think they needed to take. By the time Moroz is ready for NHL action, we should have filled that roster spot twice over.

You can NEVER have too many defenceman.

jp,

You don’t draft to fill “sandpaper” bottom six roles.

At least, good teams don’t anyway.

16. jp says:

FrankenOil,

Yeah, pretty much the definition of straight line skater! Still managed to paste guys consistently sans turning ability though (maybe that was the key?). And what more could you want for consistency 9-20-9-20?

Anyway, Moroz being used on an apparently successful shutdown line does suggest some interesting comparables.

17. FrankenOil says:

loosemoose,

I would beg to differ about drafting to fill bottom six roles. The entry draft is still the best way to find cheap players to fill out the roster. I’d argue that you can never have too many sandpaper guys as well because lord knows, we’ve seen this team play years with the team toughness and sandpaper of a baby kitten.

18. jp says:

loosemoose:
    OilTastic,

Moroz was“trending” late in the season, and a long playoff run helped his draft ranking.

Matt Finn was ranked late first/early second for a while, IIRC.

You can NEVER have too many defenceman.

jp,

You don’t draft to fill “sandpaper” bottom six roles.

At least, good teams don’t anyway.

Agreed you can never have too many D, but I still think it’s a relative position of strength/depth in the organization (if not at the NHL level).

And I understand your point about not drafting sandpaper, but like Frankenoil, not so sure I agree. Are your bottom 6F less important than your 3rd pairing D? I don’t think so, and I’m not so sure that good teams avoid drafting these kind of players. Everyone likes to use Detroit as a model of drafting success (for good reason). They drafted guys like Helm and Abdelkader along with the skill guys. Balance is not such a bad thing.

19. loosemoose says:

FrankenOil,

You’re right in that sandpaper is a valuable thing to have.

Using a 32nd overall pick to fill that need is unnessessary, IMO.

20. art vandelay says:

Moroz will forever be compared to Fred Slobotnik, Joe Bflspk, and John C. Doe, along with every other 2nd through 6th rounder who never sees the light of day in the NHL.

Hi Art!

22. Gi JQE says:

I Personally think, when you look through our prospect cupboard, that taking MOROZ was not a bad choice at all. Of course time will tell, but we have a stockpile of D prospects will limited strong forward prospects.

Obviously he is unlikely to be LUCIC, but the only way you get big bodied 20+ goal scorers is to try and draft them. probably 60-70% failure rate, but at you have to try. Just a thought…

23. gcw_rocks says:

On this blog I wrote on draft day “How you could pick this clown [Moroz] and leave Phillip di Giuseppe on the board I will never understand” (comment on OILERS AT 32: MITCH MOROZ, June 23rd). I stand behind that statement now. If di Giuseppe has those kind of stats playing against 23- and 24 year olds I find it hard to argue Moroz is outplaying him when playing against 16 year olds and yet having a much lower PPG.

I agree with Sliderule. JFJ the 2nd. Wasted pick.

Slopitch – I have no problem with the Oilers taking consensus BPA and then that player flopping. It happens. best information available at the time says you took the right guy. When you take a guy 20 spots ahead of where he should be picked and he tanks, you should be held accountable.