2013 ENTRY DRAFT: SETH JONES

Seth Jones is one of the top players in this year’s (2013) draft. Along with names like Nathan MacKinnon, Sean Monahan, Jonathan Drouin, Aleksandr Barkov and Elias Lindholm, Jones makes it a fascinating draft to follow.

My early top 10 is in the link above, but the real places to go for 2013 info (and for a WJ primer in some cases) are:

I’m going to have a few of these up as we get closer to the world juniors, and we start with Jones.

• Craig Button: “He’s a unique defenceman. I consider him the most unique defenceman since Chris Pronger,”

Crazy size for a teenager (6.04, 206) and he’s an outstanding defensive player at the junior level. The total package, size, can skate, exceptional defender with a wingspan that Boeing would envy. A little light on the offense early (NHLE: 82, 6-15-21) but his PP numbers (1-6-7) suggest the Winterhawks feel he has some ability there.

For the Oilers, a shutdown defender would be an outstanding addition to all the snipers up front.

22 Responses to "2013 ENTRY DRAFT: SETH JONES"

1. loosemoose says:

I will not be happy if we get the chance to draft Jones. That basically means we were dead f*#king last AGAIN!

I am not convinced the oilers are ready for the playoffs, but I’m hoping we pick between 8-12, not 1-2….

~mind you, who thought we would get Yakupov last year right?~

2. speeds says:

Having not seen either player this year, I am curious about the ranking disparity between Jones and Pulock, if it’s completely justified and/or the cause?

3. regwald says:

loosemoose,

Well, at the current rate Bettman and Fehr are going the place the Oilers draft will be based on some mythical formula drawn up in NY to ensure some high spending team gets the opportunity to move up.

4. Wes Mantooth-11 says:

I have been all over Barkov since I seen him at the WJC last year, I think this kid could and should be in the conversation for #1 overall.

The Oilers have to play this year to have a shot at this kid, if the Oilers play I dont see them being outside a lottery selection, he could become one of the final pieces to a championship team.

going to be interested in how he plays at the WJC this year.

5. Thinker says:

Out of this draft class my two favorite prospects are the two finns, barkov and ristolainen. Mackinnon is overhyped imo, and jones’ offense has left a lot to be desired so far. Sean momohan screams sean coururier to me, and I believe he could be a player. For the oilers, I would draft a big center first (barkov), and a skilled dman second(ristolainen). I think that taking a defensive defenseman early is a huge risk, and the oilers can’t make many mistakes, and expect to win.

6. sliderule says:

If the players keep drinking Fehrs kool aid there will be no draft.

The fate of this season and probably next season is hanging on a thread.

Once it hits the courts each side will be getting the blah blah blah from their lawyers telling them they won’t lose and how much they will gain..

The egomaniacs on both sides will drive the bus over the cliff.

7. Jordan says:

sliderule: The egomania

This thing went off the cliff when instead of the season starting, the lockout did. Since then both the players and the teams have been arguing in the burning wreckage about who sits where on the bus next time, rather than getting out, fixing the bus, and healing the poeple who’ve been hurt by their trip off the cliff.

Selfish garbage. Please teach your kids to be better people than this.

Merry Christmas!

8. dessert1111 says:

I’ve seen Monahan play a few times, and I’ve come away with the impression that he is a very good 2-way centre but is small. For that reason I don’t expect the Oilers to be interested, but if he’s BPA…

Jones, Barkov or MacKinnon would be my Oil lottery picks, in that order, at this point. Hopefully they won’t get screwed and end up with pick #27 or some bs because of the lockout lottery.

9. speeds says:

Thinker:

Jones has 28 points in 31 games, not exactly awful.

10. RexLibris says:

11. jp says:

speeds,

Yeah, that’s a LONG way from awful in his draft year, and from a guy known more for his defense than offense. Morgan Reilly, Button’s 4th ranked drafted prospect. is at a similar level (33-7-21-28), and he’s smaller and a year older. Jones is also +27, though on a crazy strong team (he’s 4th on his team and in the WHL).

Jones sounds difficult to pass on. He and Barkov both make a hell of a lot of sense for the Oilers if they’re available.

12. skidplate says:

dessert1111:

Monahan is 6′-2″ 195 lbs. Not really small.

13. loosemoose says:

regwald,

True enough….although I am holding small ember of positive energy close to my heart, thinking that Jan 15 will be the start of the season.

I know, I know……but a guy can dream right?

14. regwald says:

loosemoose,

My original guess in September was Dec. 01 start. Now, at this point I am thinking there will be no season. Glad to see there is still someone out there with a small hope for a season. It certainly is not me.

15. Нинтендо⁶⁴ says:

High stakes poker. The players will give Fehr what he’s asking for thinking they’ll get more. If they’re wrong this is the last vote they’ll have before the year is flushed. The league has signalled they won’t pull the trigger when Fehr’s wires up the dead man switch. But there will be a deadline.

16. Radman says:

Best to manage expectations I know. That said, based on projections from what we see in OKC and elsewhere I really doubt we are talking about another top 5 pick. Suspent the Oil pick somewhere in the teens and end up with Lazar.

Might be hard for a GM picking first to take anyone but MacKinnon.

17. jp says:

Radman,

I like your optimism, but in a short season there’s a lot of room for both surprising success and surprising failure. There’s no doubt the Oil are on the way up before too long, but if there’s a season this year and Dubnyk struggles, it could be ugly. Similarly, until there’s a trade/signing to improve the D depth, the Oil are 2 injuries away from having Peckham or Potter in the top 4, and the other playing with Teubert (or worse) on the 3rd pairing. Either of those things likely spells another lottery pick. At the same time, if things break right this could well be a playoff team in a few months. We don’t know, but having a shot at Jones/Barkov and co. in June certainly wouldn’t shock me.

18. OilLeak says:

Barkov is a very interesting prospect for me, because he’s very young (missed the 2012 draft by 2 weeks) and he’s already huge! Watched some videos of Barkov and he’s a seems like a more talented version of Teemu Hartikainen. Barkov has a nose for the net and has very good hands in close. The one concern for me is his speed, he doesn’t seem very quick and doesn’t seem like the type of player to create off the rush.

19. OilLeak says:

OilLeak:
    Barkov is a very interesting prospect for me, because he’s very young (missed the 2012 draft by 2 weeks) and he’s already huge!Watched some videos of Barkov and he’s a seems like a more talented version of Teemu Hartikainen.Barkov has a nose for the net and has very good hands in close. The one concern for me is his speed, he doesn’t seem very quick and doesn’t seem like the type of player to create off the rush.

Also just how big is he? He’s 6′ 3″ and 209 lbs as a young seventeen year old! Geezus, the kid is going to be absolutely massive as he fills in some more. If the Oilers are looking for a skilled center with size, he certainly fits the bill.

20. jp says:

OilLeak,

Agreed. A big 2C to compliment RNH is what I see. And geez, the guy is top 10 in SML scoring in his draft year (31-14-14-28). I guess he could be Bonk, but it’s difficult to imagine those numbers not translating to at least decent offense in the NHL.

21. Ducey says:

RexLibris: My guess is we’ll be looking at an all-in draft lottery similar to ’05 and the Oilers will need to package their 1st round pick, a player and maybe another pick to move up with guys like Barkov, Drouin, Shinkaruk, Lazar and even Lindholm as possible targets, depending on where they can select.Here’s a thought, if they do cancel the season, and by June we have that total draft lottery, how loud would the boos be for Bettman THIS time around? They might have to delay proceedings at every pick, or wheel out Brendan Shanahan to run the show.

The 2005 draft was at a hotel and was not open to the public…if the season is cancelled you can expect the same in 2013, or whenever they have a draft.

22. Radman says:

Radman,

Optimism…..on a Monday ? Must be Christmas.

Hear you JP. Will have to some how stay out of the MASH unit and a ( hopefully) short season remains a wild card. Work to be done for sure, but I still think we see a step forward when they hit the ice. Goaltending still a big question mark, and might be the rate limiting step.