DUBNYK TO SPENGLER

Devan Dubnyk finally has employment in hockey, and its our old friend the Spengler Cup. The locked out Oiler goalman hasn’t stopped a pick fired in anger (warning: probably a lie) in several months, but he’ll get a nice chance and represent his country in Davos. Jim Matheson has the story here.

Edmonton Oilers v Boston Bruins

AND for all you Marc Pouliot fans, the big Pubis will also be part of Team Canada, along with Ryan Smyth, Sam Gagner and of course the big Dubey. Pretty damn exciting if you ask me.

I’ll have a OKC GDT up this afternoon, have to go buy the dog “pizzle.” DO NOT tell my wife what it is under any circumstances or the poor damn dog will never get any pizzle again. Seriously. Not a word.

22 Responses to "DUBNYK TO SPENGLER"

1. Kris11 says:

“Big Pubey” and Big “Dubey” ?

LT, the lockout is warping your mind.

2. jonrmcleod says:

Plus: Cam Barker.

3. jonrmcleod says:

I don’t see Eager on the roster.

4. jonrmcleod says:

LT: Who is this “Ryan Smith” the CBC article talks about?

You win the internet today sir.

6. jonrmcleod says:

Sorry about the abundance of comments…

Stauffer made the following tweet this morning: “So Eager is NOT on team but former Oilers Cam Barker and M. A. Pouliot are joining Dubnyk, Smyth and Gagner on Spengler Cup team”

Ah, good. Thanks, Jon!

8. spoiler says:

So Pouliot’s new nickname is Pizzle?

Too bad Pardubice isn’t going to the Spengler. That would have been sweet.

9. Bruce McCurdy says:

Have to admit my first thought was “Ben Eager!? What are they thinking?”

Also wonder what is the thought process behind this comment in Matty’s piece: “Dubnyk hasn’t been told if he’ll be the backup to Bernier or they’ll share the net.”

Uhh, how about Bernier being the backup to Dubnyk? Is that not even a consideration?

DD has seen more NHL action in each of the past three seasons, and it hasn’t been close. (Career GP: Dubnyk 101, Bernier 48.) Last year Dubnyk had a superior save percentage (.914 to .909), & even had a better points percentage (20-20-3, .500) than Bernier (5-6-2, .462), this despite of the minor fact that DD was on a 29th place team while Bernier was with the eventual Stanley Cup champions. For whom he didn’t play a minute the entire playoffs.

DD wound up third fiddle behind Bernier at the Worlds 2 years ago and it pissed me off then. Since then Dubnyk has emerged as a #1 goalie, while Bernier seems to still be a “potential franchise goalie” who never seems to actually do a whole lot.

One of these days Hockey Canada should give DD a fair shot. He’s been a good soldier at the last three Worlds (0.89 (!) GAA, .963 (!!) Sv% in limited action) and at a World Junior before that. At some point he should earn an actual opportunity.

10. Thinker says:

What are the rules behind who can go? Why wouldn’t some stars be involved?

11. Lois Lowe says:

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why Cam Barker is on the team. Surely there are better D options playing somewhere in Europe right now.

12. PunjabiOil says:

Talked to an Oiler employee-friend last night. Second person to confirm that Katz overstepped Stu to select Yakupov. Murray was Stu’s guy.

I hope one day Bob Stauffer goes public with this, if true, as he’d likely know what transpired.

13. Mr DeBakey says:

Surely there are better D options playing somewhere in Europe right now.

Yeah, but how many were drafted in the Top-3?

Think speed’ll be an issue?

14. hunter1909 says:

Oiler’s very own carefully nurtured former 1st round pick, Tambellini’s least criticised signing.

He’s great against everything coming at him from the slot, until the opposition cleverly passes the puck from point to point – this is where he becomes a virtual pee wee…a near total waste imo other than his part in Oiler’s lottery trifecta, which shouldn’t skew our judgement.

Khabibulin’s contract year happily keeping whatever passes as the Katz home warm.

15. Bruce McCurdy says:

Hunter, you talking about the guy who posted a .926 Sv% once he was given the #1 role last January? I guess other guys only do that D to D pass 7.4% of the time … silly them.

16. spoiler says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Have to admit my first thought was “Ben Eager!? What are they thinking?”

That’s a lovely post, Bruce. Devan Dangerfield Dubnyk.

17. DeadmanWaking says:

Don’t no one touch me until after I shower. I had to use search terms that took me far afield of safe-search to dowse upon this glistening gem.

Chimps replay Aesop’s fable

The primates were presented with a vertical glass tube, which was secured to a cage so it could not be moved or broken. At the bottom was a peanut, floating on a small amount of water. They were also given access to a water dispenser. The idea was that the animals would take water from the dispenser in their mouths, and then spit it into the tube to raise the water level.

So this is not a test of table manners.

He was spitting water into the tube, then got frustrated …

Frustration. That’s found in Kahneman’s System I (instinct). I can see the genesis. But who gets the real credit here? Brain one or brain two?

Brain 1: Gaa … I’m all out of spit!
    Brain 2 to Brain 1: [Excited] I have an idea! An idea! An idea!
    Brain 1: [Cranes neck] Where?
    Brain 2: That that idea. A different idea.
    Brain 1: [Stunned] Imagine that … Good thinking, Brain 2.
    Brain 2: Shall we shake on it?
    Brain 1: Open the floodgates, my friend!
    [Long pause. Silence. Elevator music. More silence.]
    Brain 2: [small voice] I can’t … Not when you’re watching me.
    Brain 1: [rolls eyes] Two functions. Neither reliable.
    Brain 2: Hey, don’t mess with our mojo … it’s all we’ve got.
    Brain 1: Right you are. OK then. Gurgle gurgle, goo goo. [Brain 1 briefly vacates the premises.]

In the nether caboose some mysterious valve relaxes ever so slightly … small freckle of warmth expands … oh my … gotta gotta gotta … kazoom.

Brain 2: Weeeeee!
    Brain 1: Hey, camber the splash! Maintain flow. Pressure compensation. Arc adjustment. Diminishing … tinkle phase … tie it off in three, two, one. Shutdown!
    Brain 2: Shake again?
    Brain 1: You wish. Fetch me that peanut.
    Brain 2: Why me?
    Brain 1: Cause I don’t want to know how that peanut got here.
    Brain 2: I can’t control fingers … that’s not my job.
    Brain 1: A likely story. Fetch me that peanut or you’ll never control a finger again.

Moral of the story: Necessity is the rudder of retention.

I set upon this quest wondering when the very first limber and flexible-minded XY Homo Simian rescued a fair furry maiden from a burning bush by rising up and grabbing his Bull by the rumpled flacitis, dispensing pinpoint salvation with dramatic and instinctive “WOO WOO, WOO WOO” opposable-thumb fair-furry-maiden rescue hoot.

But no, our pudgy-fingered hero fumbled a peanut (not yet so aptly named) into a crevice too thin to insert his hairy knuckles, and couldn’t contain himself. Proof positive that the Ur-nate language is a sign language of rivulate grandeur. Of geometry, one wonders what dexterous member of hominid lineage inscribed the first perfect circle unto the beach? Or why the Heelstone is just over seven feet thick. “OK boys, everyone face away from the center, we’re going to lay this thing out. No dribblers now … this one’s for all time. We’ll be cutting markers, and they’ll be big, crowned with massive lintels for the winning tribes.”

18. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lois Lowe:

Claire “The Milkman” Alexander must not have been available.

19. B S says:

Thinker,

Tavares and Seguin are on the team, along with several other NHLers

@Bruce, Yeah, I never figured out how Bernier got the job over Dubnyk at those World Championships. Always play the hot hand, and Duby was clearly better.

@Spoiler, I wish I could prop your comment, classic, might even replace “The Pimp” as Dubnyk’s unofficial nickname.

@Hunter, stop listening to TSN analysis, Maguire, Mackenzie and the rest are sensationalists, not analysists. Dubnyk’s lateral movement is fine, and his positioning is exceptionally good, his weak point is his reflexes, particularly his glove hand (by NHL goaltending standards). His puck handling leaves a lot to be desired too, come to think of it.

20. DeadmanWaking says:

In case fido is wondering: Why you can’t tenderize pizzle along the grain.